The Truth

Half of a Whole

 

 

A knife stabbed his lover’s heart. He turned around, watching him fall. The crimson red blood dripped from the man’s wound down to the floor. From that moment on, he felt as though his whole would have fallen into darkness. His friends, his family and his one true love, they were all gone before his eyes, without a sound.

 

 

 

“NO! NO! NO!” He ran towards his fallen love, unable to think properly. The pain, the horror, it was something he really didn’t need at that moment. His grip tightened onto his sword, cutting the skin on his palm. His rage overpowered the stinging pain on his hand. He swung his sword, cutting down all enemies that came his way. His eyes stayed on the man which now lay silently on the ground he stood on. He grabbed a hold of his fallen love, picking him up by the back of his neck. He slowly lifted the man up, calling his name as he looked into his dark, lifeless eyes. There was no longer the man he had fallen in love with in the empty shell. All that was left of him was his body and the necklace that held their promise. He took the other’s necklace off, taking the ring and putting it on their ring finger.

“I will find you my love, the only one who can make me whole again.” Those parting words were sealed with one last kiss as the other brought his sword up to his chest and plunged it into himself. He smiled, watching his loved beneath him as his blood tickled down his chin. Their fingers intertwined, completing the heart on their rings as the man met death in the eye.

 

 

 

“NO!” Changmin work up. His hand grabbed the air as he took sat upwards with shock. A line of sweat covered his forehead. It was that dream again. The dream he despised the most. Ever since the days came close to the chose one, the dreams had become more regular.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

With a cup of hot chocolate in front of them, they sat down at the dining table opposite each other. Changmin had come out of the shower and dressed up in a plain white shirt with blue jeans given by Kyuhyun. For 10 minutes, they didn’t dare look at each other in the eye. Kyuhyun tapped at the side of his cup impatiently.

 

 

 

“So?” I decided to start the conversation off first. I looked over at Changmin and could see the younger was doing his best to string his words together. It took some time before Changmin looked up. His sentence started with a sigh (I noticed that he did that a lot).

 

 

 

“There was something I had to do. I asked my parents if they could send me away for a few days. A few days turned into a week and before I knew it, it became a little over a month.” I wanted to know more. There was so much he was hiding from me. I knew nothing of the boy in front of me but the way he looked at me was different. So different to the point it made me afraid.

 

 

 

“Where did you go? What did you need to do?” Even I could tell I was getting too impatient. I wondered how I must have looked in Changmin’s eyes.

 

 

 

“I went to Busan to live with my Auntie and their family.  What I needed to do is none of your concern.” Kyuhyun got annoyed at Changmin’s last sentence. He wanted so badly to shout ‘I’m your teacher!but the words didn’t come out. Instead, he did something he hadn’t done in a long time. He got angry.

 

 

 

“Stop being so half arsed with your answers! Just tell me already!” Kyuhyun stood up and slammed at the table with full force. His chair slid back, making a loud scratching noise. The force nearly made the chair fall back but somehow managed to fall forward and into its original place.

Changmin bit his lip and looked to the side, clearly upset by Kyuhyun’s words. There was so many things he wanted to tell the teacher but couldn’t. Why is it only me…? Before his tears could fall, Changmin stood up and announced his leave.

 

 

 

“Forget it. It was a mistake coming to see you. I’m going home.” He said. Halfway from the living room and from the door, Kyuhyun realised his mistake and ran after the young student. If I let him go now, I’ll let him go forever. No, I don’t want that! Please, please Changmin!’

 

 

 

“WHAT!? SHIM CHANGMIN YOU STOP RIGHT THERE!” Kyuhyun grabbed onto Changmin’s wrist, just about managing to stop the younger from advancing forward. Unexpectedly, Changmin stopped and swung his arm, making Kyuhyun lose grip. He grabbed onto the other’s shoulders, pushing him back to the nearby wall before slamming his hands down, locking Kyuhyun inbetween.

 

 

 

“Do you really want to know?!” Changmin’s half raised voice hit Kyuhyun very close to heart. The question made Kyuhyun unsure of what had been going on. It had been just over a month since he met the boy yet he was already in his house, drinking hot chocolate like they were good friends.

 

 

 

“Y-yes.” I want to know. I want to know everything.

 

 

 

“Then answer me this.”  His eyes were determined. But like the first time Kyuhyun first saw him, they were filled with hidden emotions that was begging to be seen.  

“Are you a whole?” A month ago, the same question arose. Maybe Changmin thought Kyuhyun had finally obtained the answer. He searched for something, something that only Kyuhyun had. The answer he was looking for. However, Kyuhyun didn’t understand. Like that time, he answered the same way.

 

 

 

“How can one be a half?” Slight disappointment washed over Changmin’s face. It disappeared in a flash. Kyuhyun didn’t realise the short change before he changed back to his normal emotionless face despite being about 10 centimetres apart. Changmin felt like crying. He felt like screaming. Tired, he let his head rest on Kyuhyun’s shoulder, not wanting the elder to see his face.

 

 

 

“Is that really the only answer?” He whispered in a low tone, barely audible. Unconsciously, Kyuhyun’s arms lifted upwards and caressed Changmin’s back.

 

 

 

“Is there another possible answer?” For a whole minute, they stood like that in silence. Kyuhyun felt the wet droplets fall onto his shoulder. His body froze for a while.

 

 

 

“Why is it only me who remembers? Why must it always be this way?” Once again Changmin’s feathered voice gently touched Kyuhyun’s ear. The evident sadness in his tone hurt Kyuhyun’s heart. Changmin’s arms lowered themselves until they reached Kyuhyun’s waist. Tightly, he pulled Kyuhyun into his arms, hugging his body like how a child hugged their favourite toy. Kyuhyun didn’t know how to react. Numb from their position, his body slid down onto the floor along with Changmin.

 

 

 

“Chang-?” By the time he had finally gained the courage to speak but his words were cut short by a kiss.

 

 

 

“You told me you loved me. You told me you’ll never leave me but you did. You left me alone in that world! Now that I’m finally together with you, you say you don’t remember me. ‘Each a half, together a whole. Uncompleted until put together.’ Remember? Please Kyuhyun… Please remember.” Changmin begged. That was the first time Changmin called him by his first name.

 

 

 

“I’m sor-“

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

Year 1420, Joseon dynasty

 

 

 

12 years had passed since King Taejo had died. Those 12 years gave Korea 2 kings who were the sons of the past King, King Jeongjong and King Taejong. They fought for the throne for 10 years, not succeeding in much. 2 years ago however, it was announced the new King will be given to the youngest son of King Taejong. And thus, gave Korea a 3rd King since King Taejo’s death. Sejong the Great, he is later known. Due to his wisdom, blessed to him at a young age, he was given the throne. So much so, even his brothers stepped aside so he could be king at the age of 21. It was the start of a new beginning for Korea.

 

 

 

The two of them sat at the palace gazebo. Surrounded by beautiful spring flowers and clear water from the garden lakes, they continued on their studies. Changmin bit his lip and looked up to his lover. The sun shone on hit perfect facial features, making the man look even more beautiful. Not realising the other’s eyes on him, he moved his hair back behind his ear before moving onto the next page of his book. Changmin smiled.

 

 

 

“Hmm?” Kyuhyun hummed, questioning Changmin’s sudden smile. He had his left hand up just above his ear to stop his locks of hair from falling onto his face as the soft breeze continued to blow gently on the both of them.

 

 

 

“Just soaking in your beauty.” Kyuhyun went from studious study look to flushed red within a matter of seconds. The young student looked away and coughed from embarrassment.

 

 

 

“Wh-what?!” Kyuhyun stuttered. He and Changmin were students at the palace, studying to become the King’s next right hand man. They both were apprentices of Scholar Lee Wonbin who was King Taejo’s right hand man. After the King died, Wonbin devoted the rest of his days teaching the next group of potential scholars on the way of the palace and how to advise the current King during his rule.

 Changmin and Kyuhyun were part of a group of 5 and were chosen as the next candidates. As much as Changmin hated it, Kyuhyun was the favoured on. He didn’t hate the fact that Kyuhyun was favoured since Changmin himself wanted the other to become the next adviser. He hated the fact that everyone’s attention was on his lover. Everyone in the palace was convinced he would be the next person to take over the King’s adviser until the current one was dismissed of. All that awaited was their graduation which would be held in the summer on the year of their 20th birthday. There wasn’t much time for the both of them as their birthday was in 2 weeks. They would finally be adults. After that, they would have their final exam before given their positions. Changmin was thrilled by the fact that they would be relieved of studying after 12 years of continuous lectures. However, he was worried that if Kyuhyun was to become the new adviser, they wouldn’t be able to see each other often.

 

 

 

“So have you thought about what you want for your birthday?” Changmin asked, changing the subject. Kyuhyun’s eyes brighten up while his body fidgeted eagerly. In exactly 10 days, Kyuhyun would turn 20. It was an exciting time for the both of them since Changmin’s birthday was just around the corner as well.

 

 

 

“I don’t know… I was thinking of asking for a new brush.” The younger student looked at his lover and scoffed.

 

 

 

“What?! A new brush! That’s nothing! You should ask for something big! You know, since you’re finally turning into an adult.” He spun around on his seat and thought for a while before turning back to look at the other. Kyuhyun had his head down, a little sad that his friend made fun of him. He was never good at picking presents when it came to himself. There was a roof over his head, food on the table and people he loved around him. To him, he had everything he needed right in the palace.

“Hey! How about one of those books? You know what I mean. That book.” Upon hearing what Changmin had to say, Kyuhyun blushed and shook his head violently.

 

 

 

“WH-WHAT?! No! We’ll get in trouble! You know that we’re not allowed those.” Kyuhyun pouted. Changmin had suggested to Kyuhyun to ask for a book his birthday. True, it was something many students would love to own since having a partner was forbidden when you’re a palace student. Most of them had never been near a female, never mind getting any sort of experience on them. Sure they learn stuff during education but it was nothing more than what was needed. Students wished for something more.

 

 

 

“The rules also state we aren’t allowed to have partners.” Changmin caressed Kyuhyun’s cheek lovingly.

 

 

 

“Y-you’re special.” Like Kyuhyun’s stutter which came whenever he was embarrassed, it became a habit for Changmin to make Kyuhyun say those words. Having Kyuhyun say it made Changmin really feel special. They had known each other since they were 8 years old. Kyuhyun had come from a noble family who was greatly involved in politics. His grandfather had also been the King’s adviser at one point before he was assassinated in place of the king. On the other hand, Changmin was chosen randomly. His family wasn’t rich and they knew nothing about life in the palace. Changmin was good at studying and through pure luck, was scouted by Lee Wonbin himself.

At first, Changmin caused all kinds of havoc. Not wanting to stay in the palace due to the fact he knew no one there and because people would always talk behind his back for being a commoner, he did his best to do bad things so he would be thrown out. However, Wonbin was patient with the boy and treated him like his real son. Kyuhyun was the quiet type (still is but a lot more open than before) and would often be found trailing behind Wonbin. Changmin thought of him as the good student who would do everything he was told. It was one day when Changmin was hiding behind the rose bush at the palace gardens when he heard the guards talk about him. It made him furious. It wasn’t like he wanted to be here himself. Angry and ready for a fight, he stood up, getting ready to shout back at the gossiping guards. His voice stopped when he saw the normally silent Kyuhyun shouting from the top of his lungs.

 

 

 

“LEAVE HIM ALONE! YOU DON’T KNOW HIM! HE DOESN’T EVEN WANT TO BE HERE. IF IT WASN’T FOR KIM SEONSAENG-NIM CHANGMIN WOULDN’T BE HERE! HE WOULD STILL BE AT HOME WITH HIS FAMILY AND PLAYING WITH HIS FRIENDS!” Kyuhyun’s voice hit Changmin’s face like a strong gust of wind. For his sake, the quiet Kyuhyun became like that. The guards stared at the young boy for a minute not saying anything as the shock had cleared their minds of any words. Finally, the tears the young boy held came out. Running away while sobbing in silent, he left the scene towards the palace garden. Without a second thought, Changmin chased the other. There, he saw Kyuhyun crouched on the ground next to the lake crying his eyes out. All he could do was stand a certain distance behind Kyuhyun and watch the other cry.

To this day, he wondered why he didn’t call out to Kyuhyun. Maybe it was because he wanted to see the real Kyuhyun. The one who wasn’t the perfect student, the one nobody knew of. Eventually, Changmin’s misdeeds lessened and he became weirdly clingy to Kyuhyun. The boy didn’t know what happened and was freaked out when Changmin began to talk to him but soon became use to it. The pair was rarely seen apart.

 

 

 

 The bell rang, telling everyone it was time for the next lecture. Changmin sighed from the thought for having to sit in another 3 hour lecture, listening to old man Wonbin talk about politics. Kyuhyun could only laugh seeing how much his lover hated those daily lectures.

The two stood up and gathered their books before heading to the lecture hall. Quickly, Changmin stooped in and stole Kyuhyun lips. It was so quick, the other hadn’t realised what had happen until Changmin parted from him.

 

 

 

“Wh-at do you think you were doing?!”

 

 

 

“Umm, kissing you? What do you think I was doing?” Kyuhyun smacked him with his books.

 

 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

 

The day was nigh, Kyuhyun’s birthday. Changmin could barely sleep the night before, wondering how he would surprise the other this year. Rolling around, he couldn’t contain his excitement. It took some time before sleep overcame him to ready his body for the next waking day.

 

 

 

They met each other at their usual place in the gazebo in the palace garden which floated on top of the garden lake. Lectures had been cancelled since it was a student’s birthday. Changmin had asked the gardener to specifically pluck him a bouquet of roses, specifically the roses from the bush he hid at when he witnessed Kyuhyun’s rage for the first time.

He filled the gazebo table with Kyuhyun’s favourite dishes ranging from side dishes to confectionary. People around the palace knew of their friendship so it was fine for the two to be celebrating Kyuhyun’s birthday in such an elaborate way. Rarely were there anyone who went to the garden since it was the place for the Kings and his advisers so if they were to kiss, no one would see. It was mainly their reason for being there as it was away from the others. As if they were in their own world, they thought.

Kyuhyun made his way to the gazebo at the promised time he and Changmin had set the week before. He didn’t know what to expect until he saw the elaborate party his lover had conjured up for him. His mind was in shock, seeing everything laid out nicely in front of him. With each step he took, the sweet aroma became more apparent.

 

 

 

“What? How did manage to do this? I thought nothing could beat last year’s birthday...” Changmin gave the other a shy smile, shrugging his shoulders. Bent down on one knee, he took a pearl red box out of his pocket and opened it to reveal two rings.

 

 

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/ba/4e/e4/ba4ee4ca3514e8fecdcc765910c4cbaf.jpg

 

 

“I’m Shim Changmin. There’s nothing I can’t do.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

ANDDDDDDDDDDDDDD, the next chapter shall be it's last. :D