The Transfer

Wipe Out

 

CHAPTER 1

 

Kwon Yuri could not comprehend why, just why in the world her family would make her transfer to a university that was so far away from Seoul when she was already happily enrolled in a small college just a bus ride away from their home. This particular university needed a plane to travel to. In fact, it was placed in a city on the edge of South Korea. It was that far.

To summarize her family’s explanation, a university is better than a college Yuri-ah, her dad had told her. Kwon Yuri was even more confused. Weren’t there universities were they lived?

 

“That university is cheaper than the universities here. Besides, the headmaster’s a family friend. He gladly gave you a scholarship just by checking your grade history.”

“But why there? It’s so far away! I’ve never even heard of it before. A diploma from an unrecognized university is practically useless dad. I’m better off just studying in that college. Atleast people recognize it.”

“Oh you don’t have to worry Yuri-ah. It’s not famous among the general population but a lot of companies know about that university. Only the elites can enter.” Her aunt had joined in the conversation with overly eager eyes. Almost pleading.

“I can’t believe you all want to send me away 3 months before my debut. If you’re thinking I’d want a grand debut, if that’s why you want to send me away then I’m gonna be real mad because you’re thinking wrong.” Yuri sulked.

“Of course that’s not it honey. This is for your future.” Her mom reassured her.

 

And the persuading continued on and on. Kwon Yuri had furrowed her eyebrows. It seemed like her family was dead set on making her transfer. Beside the fact that the scholarship given would lessen their family expenses by a great deal, what else was so special about this university? Only one way to find out. Well it was not like she had a choice anyway.

So there was Kwon Yuri at the airport, bidding goodbye to her family members who looked like they were, Yuri sighed, grieving.

 

“I don’t understand you guys. You spent so much time trying to convince me to go to this place and this is how you react when I finally agree to go?”

Her mother was clinging on to her sobbing. Her dad was also crying, although he tried to hide it. Her aunt had this expression on her face, Yuri couldn’t quite figure out what exactly.

“I can’t do this. Hyukjun-ah,” her mom called for Yuri’s father, “there must be some other way.”

 

Her dad had wrapped his arms around his wife as his reply. Yuri had figured that her mom was just overwhelmed by her feelings. Afterall, she had never been away from them for more than a week.

 

“It’s alright mom. I’m gonna visit on the holidays. You don’t think you can get rid of me this easily do you? I’ll send you pictures. I’ll even skype you daily!” She laughed. Her words were meant to comfort her mom.

 

Once her mom had calmed down, it was time for Yuri to go. She bid her final goodbyes to her family and gave them one last hug.

 

“Be safe Yuri-ah.” Her aunt who was quiet throughout the conversations in the airport had finally spoken.

Yuri smiled. “I will. Bye. I love you mom, dad, aunt.” She finally went in her terminal and boarded the plane.

“We love you too honey.”

~******~

She arrived at the city a little later than noon. She remembered her aunt telling her that she just had to take the bus that’s right infront of the airport. So she made her way to the bus stop. Ten minutes later, the bus had arrived. She boarded the bus along with few other people who were waiting with her. She had noticed that there wasn’t any signage that told her the route of the bus. When she had asked the people, she was told that all the buses in the city only had one route and they go to all of the towns. Hm that’s weird, she thought. To confirm this information, Kwon Yuri took a seat just behind the bus driver and asked if the bus would really take her near the university she intends to go to.

 

“Ahjussi, does this bus go to Black university?” she had asked innocently.

 

Incredulous wrinkled eyes which belonged to the driver flashed on the bus’ rear view mirror. Yuri blinked. Maybe she took the wrong bus? But the people said there was only one route…

 

“Did I… did I take the wrong bus?” she asked apprehensively. Suddenly intimidated by the bus driver’s stare. Old people’s stares are sure scary. Maybe I should just take a taxi…

 

Her intimidation became apparent to the driver. He lowered his gaze and proceeded on watching the road as he should.

 

“I’m sorry if I startled you with my stare. It’s just… It’s not everyday that I get passengers going to that town.”

“Oh that’s a relief. Glad I took the right bus then.” Yuri sighed. After a few minutes, her brain started to process the last statement the bus driver said. “Ahjussi, what do you mean by it’s not everyday you get passengers to that town?”

 

She saw the driver give her a quick glance on the rear view mirror.

 

“It’s the… farthest town in the city.” The driver had said simply.

Yuri heaved a defeated sigh. “Great. More travelling.” That was the only thing on her mind before she fell asleep.

~******~

Yuri was woken up by the driver. She rubbed her eyes off of sleep and looked around her. She was the only passenger left and the sun had already set. Then the sudden realization hit her. A young woman that was herself, an old driver standing near her, a bus and darkness…

 

“Ahjussi I have a black belt in every martial arts you can think of so if you dare touch me in an inappropriate way, don’t say I didn’t warn you!” That was definitely a lie. However, she had to come up with something to scare the driver and protect her dignity as a young woman. Yuri hugged her backpack tightly with accusation printed all over her face towards the bus driver.

 

The bus driver laughed so hard that he fell on one the seat parallel to where Yuri was sitting, holding his stomach. Yuri took a good look at him. Observing him carefully. She was still cautious of the man. You never know what might happen to young woman who’s travelling alone.

 

Once he had calmed himself down from laughing, the bus driver spoke up “I don’t intend to touch you in any way young lady. I have a wife for that.”

“T-that’s right! That’s why you should not come too close to a young lady!” that was Yuri’s attempt of saving herself from embarrassment.

“And a young lady such as yourself shouldn’t have such thoughts running through your mind.” He laughed again when he saw Yuri pout. “Nevermind that. Come down now.” He went out of the bus with Yuri following him behind. “It’s too late to travel to the town you’re going to right now.”

“The sun had set but it’s-“ Yuri checked her wrist watch. “It’s still early. Surely we could reach the town if we went now right?”

The driver gave her a serious look. “Once we get there, it’s gonna be darker. It’ll be dangerous for both of us.”

“What do you mean? Are there wild animals there?” Yuri asked which made the driver laugh.

“You can say that.” He laughed some more. “I’ll personally send you there when the sun is at its highest.”

“Sun at its highest?”

“That way the wild animals won’t eat us.” He showed his teeth imitating a wild animal.

“You’re mocking me ahjussi.” Yuri narrowed her eyes at the old man. He sniggered.

“There’s an inn here but you can stay with me and my wife in our house if you want.” He graciously offered.

“No it’s alright. I’ll just stay in the inn. I don’t want to impose. Thanks a lot ahjussi.” Yuri bowed and started walking away when her stomach had growled so loud.

“Oh? I think there’s a wild animal inside your stomach eh?”

Yuri turned around to face the driver and gave him a sheepish smile.

“Come to my house. I’m sure my wife has cooked me a feast again. Won’t hurt to have someone help me finish it.”

“Thank you ahjussi!” Yuri’s smile almost reached her forehead.

~******~

When they arrived at the driver’s house, Yuri had learned that his name was Noh Juhyun and he was the town chief of the current town she was in. When she learned this she had apologized too many times to the old man for forgetting to ask his name and speaking so casually to him. Noh Juhyun laughed at her, saying that it was fine. Lee Sora was his beautiful wife and a great cook. Yuri ate as much as she could while telling them bits of herself and how she’s enrolled to Black university. Not long after, she had fallen asleep on the dining table.

 

“Oh my. Look at her dear. She’s fallen asleep.” Sora gave a small laugh.

“She’s a ball of energy alright.” He gave a smile. After a few minutes of silence, he said “What could the Black people need of her? Why was she invited in that wretched of a school? No human, besides myself, had voluntarily stepped foot in that town.” To say that Noh Juhyun looked bothered was an understatement.

“No one knows but them dear. By the way, while you were away a message arrived for you. I think it has something to do the young girl.” Sora handed him the message.

 

Once he had read the message, he sighed.

 

“What did it say?” Sora asked.

“It doesn’t say much. Just to accompany her safely to the university.”

Sora looked more worried than before. “Have they asked you to do this kind of task before?”

“Never. They only ask me to drive some wild animals from our side to their territory when they run out of animals to feed on.”

“Now you’re to a human…” The worried look had not left Sora’s face.

“What could they possibly want with a human in their vicinity? They’ve been locked in that town for God knows how long, not bothering with humans.”

Sora gasped as she thought of something. “Do you think they would feed on her?”

Noh Juyhyun shook his head. “No. One human is hardly enough for their numbers. What if… what if they’re experimenting on her?” Noh Juhyun gritted his teeth at the possibility.

“Experimenting?” Sora asked when their minds had not met in thought.

“What if they’re experimenting on how their students will react to a human?”

Realization had struck Sora hard. “Are you saying… they want to step foot out of their town now?”

“It’s just a guess. Whatever they’re planning, it’s not gonna be good for this young lady.”

 

They both look at the peaceful sleeping face of Kwon Yuri.

 


A/N:

Sooooo how was it?