final.

Hear Me

Irene liked getting things done for her. She liked getting pampered like a kid. She liked getting someone to prepare her food for her. She liked getting someone to wake her up every morning. But most importantly, she liked the person who had been doing all three of those things.

 

“Unnie. Time to wake up.”

 

Irene felt the gentle tug on her covers, as she slowly stirred up from her sleep and she knew exactly who it was even before she fluttered her eyes open. It didn’t take much to wake Irene up to be honest but when it comes to Wendy waking her up, Irene would take her sweet time in getting off her bed.

 

“Don’t want to,” she faked a groan, burying her face further into her pillow.

 

“Come on unnie. It’s almost noon,” Wendy sighed and Irene could ‘hear’ the younger girl scrunching her brows in return. It was almost expected of her to do so.

 

“Kiss.”

 

“Hmm? What was that?”

 

“I want a kiss,” Irene said, her voice muffled.

 

“You’re really lonely aren’t you unnie?” Wendy smiled in amusement and sat next to the childlike leader on the bed, giving Irene a gentle pat on her arm. “Turn around now.”

 

“Yay!” Irene replied gleefully and turned to face Wendy in a hurry, her eyes boring into the latter’s in anticipation.

 

“Such a kid,” Wendy chuckled and brought her lips to give Irene a gentle peck on her forehead. And just a simple kiss on her forehead was enough to make Irene’s heart flutter every time.

 

-

 

“I’m hungry.”

 

“Go ask Seungwan to make you food. I’m busy here,” Seulgi immediately ushered the older girl away, her eyes glued on her phone. Ever since she placed fourth on the little tournament that was held during the Halloween party, she had been honing her skills non-stop, may it be day or night.

 

“Such a er for that game,” Irene muttered under her breath and it didn’t manage to go unnoticed to the bear turned gamer.

 

“Uh huh, just like you’re a er for Seungwan,” Seulgi managed to lift up a smirk as her thumbs swiftly glided across the screen and Irene could only blush in return for her remark.

 

“Shut up!”

 

“I mean really, you should try to get her attention as hard as you can unnie before she ended up falling head over heels for me,” Seulgi clicked her tongue and winked.

 

“I hate you.”

 

“Oh I’m sure you do- Oh !” Seulgi cried aloud upon missing a note, throwing her phone onto the couch. “Unnie, can you please go?!” she said exasperatedly and it was Irene’s turn to smirk.

 

“Hey, you were the one bragging about Wendy’s attention on you. I didn’t even do anything.”

 

“Your presence is disturbing.”

 

“Oh I’m sorry, you should be honored that a goddess is willing to sit next to you,” Irene scoffed, flipping her hair that it even managed to hit the younger girl in the face.

 

“Goddess my ,” she murmured. “…Seungwan-ah! This unnie here has a confession to make to you-“ Seulgi raised her voice as she called out for her friend but Irene was quick to shut using her hand.

 

“Yah, what are you doing?” Irene hissed and it wasn’t long after that where Wendy walked in, oblivious to the two’s previous bickering. Irene managed to force a smile on her face, her hand still over Seulgi.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing’s wrong.”

 

“…What’s up with Seulgi then?” Wendy asked carefully, looking over to the said girl in concern. Irene could feel Seulgi smirking against her hand, probably trying to shove it to the leader’s face on how Wendy is all worried about her. Which is the more reason for Irene to press her hand harder against Seulgi’s mouth. Irene didn’t even care about the excess saliva that Seulgi was purposely giving out.

 

“Oh nothing. She wants a face massage. Isn’t that right Seulgi-ah?” Irene said in a disgustingly sweet tone, smiling radiantly towards the bear and Seulgi rolled her eyes in return, nodding her head nevertheless.

 

“Oh… I see.”

 

And for a second, Irene swore she saw Wendy contorting her face into an unreadable expression. Could it perhaps be jealousy?

 

Irene could feel her heart being stabbed once upon the mere thought and she tried to shrug it off as she finally retracted her hand from Seulgi, the bear’s saliva all over it.

 

“Wendy-ah, I’m hungry!” Irene broke into a strained smile as she called out to Wendy. Seulgi on the other hand just sighed inwardly upon the scene unfolding in front of her. How she wished that she could just get things over with. All she wanted was to debut but she ended up getting stuck in a weird situation, where her leader is in love with her band mate who has a tiny bit of crush on her. She ought to hate herself for being so damn lovable, she thought.

 

-

 

“I’m cold,” Irene pouted and tugged on Wendy’s arm gently, making the younger girl turn her attention completely to Irene.

 

“Oh? Would you like my blanket then?”

 

“That would be nice,” Irene smiled shyly and bit her lower lip. Wendy couldn’t help but to chuckle at the adorable sight before draping her blanket around Irene’s shoulders. Irene didn’t even know it was possible to feel Wendy’s warmth radiating to her through a piece of wool.

 

Her blanket is really warm, Irene thought as she clutched onto the blanket protectively, as if it was going to be stolen from her any time soon.

 

“Here you go.”

 

“Thank you. Aren’t you cold too-“

 

“Hey, come here for a sec Wendy-ah!”

 

Wendy snapped her attention this time to Seulgi and immediately attended to the latter, leaving Irene behind without haste.

 

“Never mind.”

 

And for some reason, the blanket didn’t feel as warm as it did before, as Irene watched Wendy and Seulgi laughing together, hands brushing against each other’s.

 

How Irene wished that Wendy would just look at her once with the way she’s looking at Seulgi.

 

-

 

“Say unnie, are you sure that your feelings for Wendy unnie is really love?” Joy said, propping her chin on her palm as she stirred her coffee using her free hand, looking over to her leader in all seriousness.

 

“What else could it be?” Irene sighed as she hung her head low, her hair almost taking a dip into her own coffee if it weren’t for Joy who set it aside.

 

“Maybe you’re just feeling grateful to her, you know.”

 

“Grateful you say?” Irene shot back to her seat. “What do you mean?”

 

“Wendy unnie did a lot of things for you, didn’t she? So maybe you’re mistaking your gratefulness to her as love.”

 

“Hmm, you have a point there,” Irene slowly nodded. “So does that mean I don’t really like her?”

 

“Maybe. I’m not saying that my opinion is necessarily true though,” Joy shrugged, lifting up the cup to her lips before taking a sip of her drink. She might as well trick the older girl into thinking that her feelings for Wendy weren’t true because honestly, the maknae’s tired of handling their antics in the group. Wendy could just chase Irene back if she decided to like the latter.

 

“No, maybe you really are right,” Irene got up from her seat hastily, grinning childishly. “Thank you Joy-ah!” she said before storming out of the café and it was Joy’s turn to sigh as she watched Irene’s back slowly disappear from her sight. Sometimes, she felt as if she’s the oldest one in the group.

 

“Really.”

 

-

 

“Wendy-ah!”

 

Wendy jumped a little from her seat, upon hearing her name suddenly being called out by the familiar voice. “Yes unnie?”

 

“I have some good news for you!”

 

“What is it unnie?”

 

“It turns out that I don’t like you after all!” Irene beamed, clasping her hands together.

 

“…I’m sorry?”

 

“No wait, I do like you but not in the romantic sense you know. So you should go on and make Seulgi yours. I’ll be rooting for you two!”

 

“Wha- What kind of nonsense are you talking about unnie?”

 

“You like Seulgi no?”

 

“Yes…?”

 

“I know that you have a crush on her silly.”

 

“…Maybe,” Wendy cleared up , feeling awkward all of the sudden. Where did Irene get all of these things?

 

“I knew it. Anyways, you don’t have to worry about me getting into your way. I used to think that I like you romantically but it turns out that my feelings were just feelings of gratitude,” Irene let out a hearty chuckle.

 

For some reason, Wendy felt a certain bitterness on her lips as soon as Irene was done with her words. And she wondered why.

 

-

 

“Unnie, wake up-“

 

“Oh? I’m awake.”

 

“It didn’t take you long to wake up now… You don’t need my kisses anymore?”

 

“Hey, you should spare that for Seulgi.”

 

“Oh, you’re right…”

 

-

 

"I’m hungry…”

 

“Would you like me to cook for you-“

 

“Nah, I think I’ll just go out with Joy to grab something to eat once she’s done showering.”

 

“That might take a while though.”

 

“It’s fine.”

 

“If…you say so then.”

 

-

 

“It’s so cold.”

 

“Do you want my blanket-“

 

“Hey Joy, lend me your blanket!”

 

“Never mind…”

 

-

 

Wendy didn’t know how things lead to this, her ended up confessing her love towards Seulgi the moment the two were left alone in the practice room. Something drove her to do it all of the sudden but the situation turned out not quite like what she had expected.

 

Instead of getting her confession accepted, or getting rejected flatly by Seulgi, she was told that her feelings weren’t genuine, and that Wendy was in love with someone else.

 

“I like you though…”

 

“No you don’t, you like Irene-unnie,” Seulgi stated once again, watching Wendy’s expression turned into a confused one and she sighed. Seulgi’s hands reached out to cup Wendy’s cheeks tenderly as she continued. “Look, does your heart flutter when I do this?”

 

“…No,” Wendy whispered and shook her head and Seulgi then took the next step of leaning in so closely to her face, her breath tickling against Wendy’s cheek.

 

“How about this?” she said.

 

“Still no...”

 

“And this?” Seulgi gave Wendy a gentle peck on the tip of her nose.

 

“L-Look, just stop,” Wendy stammered and she ended up pushing away her used to be crush, averting her eyes elsewhere.   “I just. I don’t know about what I want anymore.”

 

“Just a few weeks ago, you would’ve probably felt sparks or go all gaga if I did this to you,” Seulgi laughed, crossing her arms with an amused smile. “But now that you realized that Irene’s not paying much attention to you, you wouldn’t care about this kind of things anymore.”

 

“That’s not true…”

 

“Stop denying it for god’s sake. It’s hard dealing with you and Irene-unnie really,” Seulgi sighed. “You know, Joy told me that she said something to Irene-unnie that made her change her mind about you.”

 

“What did she say?”

 

“Well…”

 

-

 

“Unnie!”

 

“Oh my god, you scared me,” Irene said, holding on to her towel as she gave the younger girl an incredulous stare. What was so important that Wendy couldn’t wait until the leader get properly dressed? For god’s sake, she had just walked out from taking a shower.

 

“I-I love you!”

 

“…Excuse me?”

 

“And you love me.”

 

“We’re a happy family?” Irene said in a sing-song tune, thinking that Wendy had wanted her to continue with the line from the ‘Barney Song’.

 

…For some odd reason.

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

“You were singing the Barney Song no?”

 

“I- Oh never mind,” Wendy heaved out a sigh before smiling to herself. How on earth could she not realize of the fact that there’s this cute silly girl standing right in front of her before, waiting for her to give her heart? “I was talking about my feelings. I like you unnie.”

 

“Thank you but shouldn’t you confess to Seulgi instead?”

 

“I did.”

 

“Oh… Then what happened?”

 

“It just didn’t work out.”

 

“That’s a shame then,” Irene frowned.

 

“Do you want to know why?” Wendy replied, quirking a brow.

 

“Why?”

 

“Because I like you.”

 

“…I don’t get it.”

 

“You see. Seulgi rejected me since she realized that I… like you. It felt wrong you know. Not to give you morning kisses, not to cook for you, not to be the one to lend you my blanket. Perhaps, when all of that were missing from my life, it was then I realized that my heart went missing too,” Wendy almost cringed upon hearing the last line herself. “Please let me make it up to you now, for all those time you spent loving me and let me love you back?” she halted her words, studying the look on Irene’s face and Wendy was terrified all of the sudden when she noticed that Irene was just staring at her blankly. “Am I going to get rejected?”

 

Irene thought long and hard before answering Wendy. “Well… I’m not exactly rejecting you… But what Joy said-“

 

“She was just bluffing.”

 

“…How do I know whether to believe you or not?” Irene let out a small huff and a few seconds later, she found herself pressed against the wall, Wendy staring right into her.

 

“Will a kiss be enough to make you believe?”

 

“No.”

 

“How about two?”

 

“Do you think I’m that easy?”

 

“How about a week’s worth of kisses?”

 

“…I’ll think about it.”

 

“Good. You should start thinking from now.”

 

With one last word, Wendy closed the distance between the two and the moment their lips touched, Irene could just feel the jolt of spark running down her body, that she even dismissed of the fact that her towel was now lying forgotten on the floor.

 

 

Author’s Note – Dumb Wendy and dumb Irene is dumb. Sobs.