A Visit from a Hyung

Mountains To Climb

The whirr of the electric fan could be heard as it rotated to cool down four guys laid out on the floor.

“Aigoo. My back hurts. Yah! Sungjong-ah!” Sunggyu made a motion towards his back as he flipped himself around so that he was laying down on his front.

“Aisht. Hyung!” whined the maknae as he grudgingly pulled his body across the floor to where the leader lay. They were all exhausted after another hard day of practice in preparing for their upcoming debut. Even though it was still in about ten months, there was still a lot of work that needed to be done on their choreography before they can say that they were ready to showcase their skills in public.

“Hyung, is this right?” Myungsoo proceeded to execute a dance move.

“It’s about right. Just raise your arms straighter and then angle your arm closer to your body on the next step,” Hoya demonstrated how it should be done to Myungsoo.

“Ah, ne,” Myungsoo copied Hoya and checked if his posture looked right in the mirror in front of him. Sungyeol who was standing beside the two was observing their moves and following Hoya's instructions.

Despite having already done hours round of hard practice, Myungsoo and Sungyeol was still practicing and getting help from Hoya, the group’s resident dance master, whilst the others took a break.

"1 and a 2,3, and -," The three recited as they went through the choreography again.

Meanwhile...

"Ah.Ah.Ah! It hurts! Enough!” Sungkyu rolled to his left to make Sungjong fall off his back. Sungjong, Woohyun and Dongwoo laughed at their leader’s usual “old-man” sensibilities. Though not necessarily beneficial to him, Sungkyu was relieved to hear his dongsaengs laugh even if its at his own expense. It had been a hard couple of years of training, living in their damp and old dorm and constantly practicing without knowing when their time to debut would be but with an actual plan set up, they could finally breathe even for just a bit.

Rolling back to his dongsaengs, Sungkyu asked, “What time is it? We should do a run through of the dances again.”

“It’s about 8? And yeah, we-,” Woohyun said.

“Hyung~ I’m hungry!” Myungsoo interrupted, sitting down with the rest of the members after his practice with Hoya and Sungyeol.

“Yah! Hungry? We just ate dinner a while ago,” reasoned Sungkyu.

“But it was only some ramyun…”

“Me too. Woohyun-ssi wants some food,” Woohyun cringingly showed his aegyo.

“Ey!” Members began to pile on top of Woohyun in punishment.

“Okay! Okay! Sorry!”

Sungkyu shaked his head at Woohyun’s typical cringe inducing actions.

“Fine. Let’s get some snacks to eat before we practice again.”

“I’ll go get the snacks,” Dongwoo volunteered. He got off top of Woohyun and pulled him up along to go with him to the convenience store. Dongwoo zipped up his jacket and waited by the entrance for Woohyun.

Woohyun being his usual vain self, delayed them leaving by checking his appearance in the mirror one last time before pulling his hood on, causing Dongwoo to wait holding the door open. Suddenly, Dongwoo spoke out in surprise at someone familiar he saw walking in his direction.

 “Oh! Hyung!” Dongwoo exclaimed.

As the person that Dongwoo got closer, it could be seen that he was holding some plastic bags.

“Oh~ Here…”

Dongwoo and Woohyun rushed in to take the plastic bags that their hyung was holding. The rest of the members, at the sight of their guest, began to all stand up from the floor and make their collective greetings.

“Mithra-hyung! What did you bring?” Hoya inquired.

“I got you guys some chicken, drinks and some other snacks. You’ve been practicing hard and the end is almost near boys! Eat.”

The boys collectively cheered and began to sit in the floor. Sungkyu and Dongwoo opened up the plastics and passed the chicken and the snacks to be placed in the center for everyone to share before handing the drinks to each person individually.

Putting priority to their super important sunbaenim, Mithra Jin was given a drink first.

“Here, hyung.”

“Thanks.”

After giving the rest of the members’ drinks, Sungkyu realized he forgot to give himself one but looking at the plastic bag, there were none left.

“Oh, that’s right. I forgot! Here have my drink instead. I forgot I gave a drink away on my way here,” Mithra Jin scratched his head sheepishly.

Sungkyu took the drink tentatively from his hyung whilst the members were busy opening up the food to eat.

Munching on chicken on one hand, Woohyun attempted to make the atmosphere in the room more comfortable to eat in by making conversation with their hyung.

“Hwa~ Our kind hyung gave food to someone on the street?  Eyyy~ It was a girl wasn’t it? You were hitting on her?”

“Yah! What kind of man do you think your hyung was that would give a girl just some drink on a side of the road?”

Sungyeol added on with Woohyun’s teasing and said, “Oh! You didn’t deny that you met a girl though?”

The rest of the members laughed in Mithra’s expense and catcalled at the thought of their hyung getting his moves on.

“Ya, ya, ya! Don’t get ahead of yourselves,” Mithra good-naturedly rebuked them.

“Who was she? Was she pretty? Did you get her number?” Sungjong curiously asked.

“It really wasn’t like that. She’s too young. It was incredible though…” Mithra absentmindedly said, thinking about his encounter with the girl. “You, young kids, are scary. Too much talent, how can we hyungs survive in the business once you guys debut?”

“Oh. What kind of girl did hyung meet to make him say things like this? But thanks, hyung, we work to be like our great sunbae-nims like you,” Sungkyu humbly responded.

“Hmm. What kind of girl? Let’s just say a girl…that could be your hoobae in the future,” Mithra mysteriously responded.

This statement raised mixed reactions in the room. A majority of them were either curious(Hoya, Dongwoo, Woohyun)  or excited(Sungyeol, Sungjong) to hear more about a potential “family member” within the company. On the other hand, Myungsoo had no interest whatsoever about their hyung’s ramblings and kept on eating. Sungkyu on the other hand had his eyebrows knotted together, knowing what the company’s situation financial was like and its inability to take on another artist within the company.

Seeing Sungkyu’s expression, Mithra said, “Don’t worry. I don’t even know if she’ll contact me, what more have the Boss-nim take her in. Let’s just eat shall we? And tell me how you guys’ schedule has been?”

Sungkyu still felt unsettled but decided to just push the thought as a needless worry. The boys wanted to know more about a girl but saw that their hyung would not say anymore on the matter. Shrugging, the boys turned back to their food.

“Oh! Yah, Myungsoo! Did you finish all the chicken?” Sungyeol exclaimed.

This caused all the attention of the boys to go back to the food, forgetting about the matter of the mysterious potential hoobae.

Mithra looked on at the boys’ antics and shook his head at them fondly.