It Starts…

Carnival

It happened on Halloween…

Nothing was out of the ordinary−besides all those wacky, creepy, and ostentatious costumes everyone insisted to wear: this happened every single year on this same accursed and insane holiday.

Members from all of the company’s groups would go trick-or-treating, wearing this and donning that−begging for stupid, abhorrent…candy. Yuck!

And Shim Changmin absolutely hated it all.


Don’t get him wrong−he loved his food! But candy was another matter altogether. It never satisfied him as normal food would, like the scrumptious taste of instant ramen…

“Yum,” Changmin thought as he walked home from work that night on the eve of All Hollow’s Eve. Oh, but that reminded him: you have to walk just to get the dumb candy.

Changmin hated Halloween.


On the other side of the spectrum, Jung Yunho adored it to no end.

In fact, he would go all out. He wore those costumes that Changmin refused to wear or even so much as lay a finger on them. He not only would go walking to get the things that rot one’s teeth out but the few who would buy the treats, put them in a bowl, and leave it for the trick-or-treaters in front of his own door.

“Our door…” Changmin grumbled as he finally made it home. He grunted as he yanked the door open, and then slammed it shut.

Changmin hated Halloween, almost as much as Yunho loved it.


“I can’t believe you got me into this mess,” Changmin sighed as Yunho pulled him out of their taxi and into the park.

It was a stupid Halloween carnival.

Why me?

“Come on Changmin! It’s just a few hours in the nice open air! It’ll be fun!” Yunho jeered.

“I doubt it…”


It wasn’t that bad, he painfully and silently admitted. And he was almost−just almost having a good time. Yunho did this−he’d drag Changmin along to any and all social events, parties, holidays, you name it. First it was the company’s yearly spring picnic back in April and now this, the company’s Halloween carnival. It was a carnival complete with booths about some random little games you would play for raffle tickets or something, endless food stands (ranging from kettle corn to hotdogs to pumpkin pie), a photo booth, some contests, and of course they’d have it, a haunted house. Only members of the company where allowed to access this special event via the main gates (Thank Buddha, Changmin’s inner self praised). Most from the company were here (Kyu better be here….) and if not, Changmin bet they were out like the buffoons they were scrounging for treats at every single front door they could get to. He was glad he was here rather than a buffoon.

“Look!” Yunho pointed to some stand or other with such velocity that he almost fell back.

“Yeah, yeah…”

Next thing he knew, Changmin was spontaneously dragged (or more of lifted really) to the front of a booth. Great…a food eating contest…

“Changmin! See?! Now we getta stuff our faces full of pie!! For prizes!!”

“For raffle tickets, hyung, not prizes.”

“But the more we get! The bigger the prize will be!! Isn’t that exciting? And you get to eat! Your favorite thing to do, Changmin! All for the tickets!” He was running out of breath but still looked as excited as a five-year-old.

“Yeah, yeah…”

Changmin really did not care one way or the other. He would eat on his own time, in the comfort of his own house, and not in front of everyone to ogle at (and never let him live it down, how ridiculous he would surely look).

Yet, he still partook in this event with his leader. To make Yunho happy…or to shut him up at the very least…who knows?