Settling Down

The Mystery of the Third Wheel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

When Yoochun woke up, he smelled something delicious coming from downstairs. Yoomi.

He ran down the stairs and found Yoomi - no, Yuri - cooking some eggs and bacon.

"Hey, you're up. You don't mind, do you?" Yuri asked.

"No, not at all," Yoochun said.

"Not being alone when I wake up in the morning... it feels strange," he said, smiling in a daze.

Yuri nodded awkwardly.

The doorbell rang. Yuri went back to cooking. Yoochun went to get the door.

He opened the door to find Yoona grinning at him. "Hey!"

"Hey." He moved aside for her to step in.

Yoona looked at him strangely. "You look happy today. Did something happen?"

The corners of Yoochun's lips raised, piquing Yoona's curiosity. "What's going on?"

She moved into the kitchen where she stopped suddenly. "Who's this?"

Yuri turned around. "Hi."

Yoona frowned. "Hi."

Yoochun walked to Yuri and motioned her to Yoona. "Yoong, meet my sister, Yoom-Yuri. Yuri, meet my pal, Yoona."

Yoona's eyes widened. "Sister?! Your sister's back?!"

Yoochun nodded. 

"OMG! I'm so happy for you!" Yoona hugged Yoochun, and Yoochun grinned at Yuri.

Yoona pulled away from him and smiled kindly at Yuri. "Hi, I'm Yoona. Call me Yoong."

"Okay."

Yoona found Yoomi to be a bit cold. She didn't match Yoochun's description much. She must have gone through a lot these past years... Yoona felt bad for Yoomi.

Just then, the doorbell rang.

Yoona gasped. "It must be Yunho-Oppa. I'll get it."

She disappeared through the kitchen door. 

"I'm sorry I didn't warn you. I forgot they'd be coming. Is it awkward?" Yoochun asked, feeling sorry after seeing her discomfort.

Yuri shook her head. "It's fine."

"They come here without permission all the time... Yunho's probably here now. He's the last one."

"Chun! Are you making breakfast?" a loud voice boomed.

Not a moment later, the owner of the voice appeared in the kitchen, followed by Yoona.

"Wow. Who's this beautiful lady?"

Yoochun raised his eyebrow. "She's my sister, Yunho."

Yunho's eyes flashed with surprise. "That's what you were gonna tell me."

Yoona rolled her eyes. "Yes, that's what I was gonna tell you, but you went right in anyway."

Yunho, smiling genuinely, gave Yoochun a pat on the back. "That's great, Chun."

"Thanks, Yunho."

Yunho walked up to Yuri, and put his hand out. "I'm Yunho. I didn't know Chunnie had such a beautiful sister."

Yoochun and Yoona shook their heads. Yuri shook his hand and went back to cooking. Yunho raised an eyebrow at Yoochun, who smirked at him while Yoona laughed. 

"For once! You just got rejected."

Yunho and Yoona moved to the dining table, while Yoochun went to Yuri. "Do you need any help?"

"Have they eaten breakfast?" Yuri asked them.

Yoochun pursed his lips. "Probably not."

"Here, can you pass these to them?" Yuri gave him plates with the food.

"Sure," Yoochun took the plates and went to the table.

Putting the remaining eggs and bacon on a new plate, she gave them to Yoochun and took off the apron.

"Aren't you going to eat?" Yoochun asked.

Yuri shook her head. "I'm not hungry. I'll be out."

Before Yoochun could say another word, she turned around and left.

"Where's she going?" Yunho asked, eating his eggs.

Yoochun sighed. "She didn't say. Can you guys warn me before you come from now on? I think she's uncomfortable."

"Why? She's the one that was uncomfortable," Yunho argued childishly.

Yoona gave him a look. "We'll do that from now on."

Yoochun nodded.

"When did she come?" Yunho asked.

"Yesterday," Yoochun replied.

"That's good. Maybe now you won't be so depressed all the time," Yunho commented thoughtfully.

Yoochun smiled a little while Yoona elbowed Yunho. 

"Ow."

"That's really great, oppa. Is she staying here?" Yoona asked.

Yoochun nodded. "I think she's planning to. If she's not, I'm going to convince her to."

He then suddenly realized with a pang of guilt Yuri probably didn't stay to eat because there wasn't any food left.

"How old is she?" Yunho asked.

"23," Yoochun replied without thought.

"Same as me!" Yoona commented happily. "We can be good friends!"

Maybe Yoona can make Yuri feel more comfortable here.

- - -

As she walked down the street, Yuri realized how different she was acting from Yoomi. Yoomi was the more shy and nice type, or acted like she was at least. Yuri was being... More like the opposite. You can at least try to act more like Yoomi.

She paused to see a HIRING sign at the window of a nice-looking cafe. Maybe I'll get an actual job for now. It's about time.

- - -

"Hello. I heard you're hiring?" Yuri asked the cashier.

"Oh, are you here for a job?"

"Yes."

"Jaejoong!" the girl called. "Can you take over for me while I take someone to Yoona."

Yoona?

Yuri saw a very good-looking guy about her age run to the cashier, when the girl turned to her. "Hi, I'm Jihae. Come this way."

Yuri followed her through some doors when they reached a door, on which was a plaque that read "Im Yoona".

It probably isn't the same Yoona. Jihae knocked.

"Come in," a small voice from inside called.

Jihae opened the door and motioned for Yuri to enter. "Hey Yoona. I think she's interested in a job."

Yoona looked up and her eyes widened. "You can go, Jihae. Thanks."

Jihae nodded and left.

"Hi, Yuri," Yoona said, getting up.

"Hey, Yoona," Yuri replied, sighing inwardly.

"Call me Yoong. You're looking for a job?" Yoona asked. "Does Yoochun-Oppa know?"

"Yes, I am looking for a job, and no, he doesn't know."

Yoona smiled that fake smile Yuri saw often, the smile that nice people gave to mean people.

Be nice, Yuri. 

"How come? I'm sure he could give you a job."

"I can get one myself," said Yuri. 

"I don't want to burden him with everything," Yuri elaborated in a kinder tone.

Yoona smiled. Maybe she isn't as rough as she seems. "Do you have any work experience? How far have you gotten in your studies?"

"I worked as a nurse for a few months after college, but that's it."

"What college, if you don't mind me asking?"

"Goryeo University."

Yoona was surprised. Goryeo? Wow.

"Why did you stop working as a nurse?" Yoona asked, curious.

Yuri was annoyed. "Do I have to answer to get this job?"

Catching herself, she smiled and said, "I mean, it's personal. You understand right?"

"With your qualifications, I'm sure you'll be more than capable of working in a cafe. You're hired."

Yuri bowed. "Thank you."

Yoon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter