Neighborhood

Heart Sink

It was a hazy morning. There was a thin layer of fogs in the air but it was not enough to stop a young woman to keep jogging around the neighborhood. It was 5 am, the sky was still dark, only several people jogging around. She has been jogging for 30 minutes and her legs seems to give up. She slowly walked and sat on the ground. She wiped her sweat and put her other hand on her chest. Her lips twitch a little as she smirk, she started to pat her chest slowly.

 
"Good job." She whispered with a smile full of relieve.
 
-
 
"For 22 years, this is the first time I see you sweating like a pig." Rebecca, her cousin, was folding her arms on the dining table. 
 
"Good morning to you too, Beck." She greeted and hurriedly chucked down a bottle of cold water from the fridge.
 
"Seriously. You never do sport before." 
 
"Beck, you just came back from America for two days since you were 13. What do you know about that?" She chuckled and sat beside Rebecca.
 
"I know it from your belly.." She whispered and they burst out laughing. She pouted as she grab her belly, it's true that she gained weight since she was 15. Surprisingly, she had no intention to do diet until now. 
 
"Shut up. Nothing wrong with my belly, okay. Now, where are we going today?" 
 
"Hmm.. airport? I'm going back to Jakarta today, my flight will be at 11 am." 
 
"Holy , why didn't you tell me?! I thought you'll be here for a week! We should go now, I need to buy something for your family. I'll shower first." She hurriedly run to her room. Rebecca just smiled and continue to eat her breakfast.
 
-
 
In the same neighborhood, there was a new comer. He was a really fine young man living with his mother. He lived in Korea before and he had no idea this little city exist. Much worse, this city was his mother's hometown. 
 
"Mino, you should eat your breakfast." His mom was trying to buy his heart. It has been three days since they moved and Mino showed completely zero interest to live here. The city was so small and the weather feels like hell. It could be hot in one minute and rain so hard 2 minutes after. 
 
"I'm 24 years old, I know when I'm hungry. I'll eat by then." He coldly said and went upstairs to his room. Once he got in, he sighed and threw himself on the bed. This was a really hard times for him and his family. 
He looked at the clock, 9 am. Dana must be awake by now. Thus, he pull out his phone and call his sister.
 
"Hello." Dana's sweet voice rings in his ears. He miss her so much.
 
"Have your breakfast?" He asked. 
 
"I'm having my lunch now, oppa." She laughed. Mino frowned and finally let out a sigh. It's 11 am there. "So how are you doing there? Why are your voice sounds so tired?" 
 
"I can't live here, really. I want to go back home." Dana sighed. Once she finish her study here, she will be there too. That's her biggest fear right now. More than all the disgusted eyes laid on her in Korea.
 
"That bad? I don't want to visit you." She added. Mino face palmed himself and growled. 
 
"Anyway, have you been good? People is judging us there." He asked, worried.
 
"I'm good. Yeah, people diss me, my friends also leave me but I have bestfriends. I'm good so far." 
 
"Glad to hear that, I hope Mom's company is not that bad here so we can move to a better country. Believe me, the weather is ." 
 
"I hope so. I have class now, you should listen to mom and eat your breakfast. Stop being a crybaby, you are older than me! Okay? I'll hang it now." 
 
"Well, okay. Bye." 
 
"Bye." And the call ended. 
 
Mino sighed and walked down the stairs. He sat on the table. His mother was chewing at her toast while observing him. He took a toast and started eating. His mother smiled.
 
"Called your sister already?" Mino just nodded and took another bite.
 
-
 
Mino put another sweets in his mouth as his eyes fixed on the screen. He has been in a movie marathon since they moved and his mom was not amused. The screen suddenly turned black and he instantly know why. 
 
"Mom, I'm watching! They just figured out that the lightning tree is actually a clock!" He whined. His mom shook her head no and sat behind him on the couch.
 
"You should get out of here. Let's go." She said.
 
"What? I don't know a single place here, mom. Where are we going?" 
 
"Would you like some pizza?" 
 
-
 
Disti put her hand on her belly and chuckled. Her stomach was growling hard. She was on her way back after she drove Rebecca to the airport and her huge appetite can't hold on her hunger any longer. She parked her car and walked in to a restaurant. She walked slowly, trying to find a good seat when someone called her name.
 
"Disti?" 
 
"Oh, hello Mrs. Song." Disti smiled at her foreign neighbor but who's the man beside her? He is freaking gorgeous. Mrs. Song stood up and hand shake with her.
 
"Who you come here along?" 
 
"I'm all by myself, I just delivered my cousin to the airport." 
 
"Hmm, join us! Let me introduce you to my son." Her son? Disti smiled and hand shake with him.
 
"Song Mino." 
 
"Disti." They introduced themselves smiling. Mrs. Song then ask her to sit in front of them. Disti nodded and sat there. 
 
"Is it okay for me to join you?" She asked. Because this just mean that she doesn't need to pay for her lunch today. 
 
"Of course, darling. I just got back from Korea. This is my treat." Said Mrs. Song.
 
"Yeay!" Mino chuckled at her. This girl named Disti was pretty chubby but she was so cute. 
 
The lunch time went smoothly until the last drop of coke disappeared from her glass. 
 
"Wow, I'm full. Thank you, Mrs. Song. It would be great if we bump to each other like this everyday." She joked. Mrs. Song laughed at her cuteness and put her arm on Mino's shoulder.
 
"Disti lives near our house. I'm close with her because she's the only neighbor who can speak english fluently. Her way of speaking is kinda cute, right?" She said to her son. Disti grinned and moved her eyes to Mino.
 
"So there's no one who can speak english in our neighbor beside her?" He asked, taken aback. English is a must-learned language! That's the only way you can spread your wings to the world! 
 
"No, there are so many people who speak english. But not that fluent. They barely tell stories, only answers." Mino nodded and smiled to Disti.
 
"I'm new here, I only speak english and Korean . I don't have any idea of Bahasa*. I hope we can be friends." He said. Well, he should have someone to talk to. If he stuck in his house for the rest of his life, how could he develop his mother's company? He thought at least he knows someone beside his family. 
 
"Of course, just tell me if you need to know something. Have you wandered around our neighborhood? There are so many restaurants." 
 
"You always have to eat if you go out with her." Mrs. Song commented. Disti chuckled and nudged her. She was so close to Mrs. Song that she felt like she was talking to her mother.
 
"I haven't been out of my house for 3 days." Mino confessed.
 
"Oh no, 3 days? Are you a vampire?" 
 
"Excuse me, but people actually mistaken me as one because of my perfectly handsome face." Disti gasped and widened her eyes to Mrs. Song.
 
"I thought he is the cool guy but then he showed his true self to me for less than 3 hours since our first meeting!" Mrs. Song laughed. 
 
"Alright, alright. You guys can catch out later but I have to go now. I need to check my stocks."
 
"Thank you so much, Mrs. Song." Disti smiled. 
 
"You are welcome, darling. Maybe you should be ready, since you're the only friend he has now, he might be in your house tomorrow." 
 
"It's okay, I'd be glad to show him about this lovely city." 
 
"Lovely city, you say?!" Mino spat. Disti chuckled.
 
"It's a really good city, you know. You can join me jogging tomorrow morning. We can walked down the neighborhood." 
 
"Jogging? Sounds good." 
 
"I'll pick you up at 4.30 am tomorrow then." 
 
"I'll be ready, in my pajamas." 
 
"Oh meen~" Mino smiled at her before they head up to the parking lot.
 
-
 
 
Disti yawned as she waited for Mino in his living room. That boy, he should set his alarm clock! Mrs. Song was the one who woke him up and why he had not show up now? Around 5 minutes later, finally he stepped down the stairs looking all fresh.
 
"Excuse me, we just know each other yesterday and we're not even friends yet and you make me wait for more than 30 minutes?" Mino scratched his head and sat next to her. "And now you sit next to me?" Her notes went higher. 
 
"Good morning. I'm sorry, it takes everything in me to get up from my bed. Let's go." He said and stood up. He opened the door and smiled with the most gorgeous smile she ever see. She then stood up and went out the door. It must be fun to walk around with this kid.