Pain, Blood and Tears...

Manazashi, Sayonara.

Whilst we were running away, she asked me a question that was kinda off-topic but it started to calm me down.

“Akane, what do you like the most in life?”

“Eh? B-Birds, they make me feel calmer and unlike us humans, they are free to do whatever they want to do… Unless they’re caged by us...”

“Then I’ll call you Churi, Akane-chan. The sound of birds...”

“What about you, Airin?”

“For me? Manga, escaping to a new world to block out the cruelty of the real world. Seeing new characters and experiencing character development. It’s makes me really happy. Makes me as happy as you are with birds, Churi.” She said, in a calm manner, “We’d better get going.”

“Un.”

We kept running, to who knows where. The feeling of freedom was within me, shining brightly. I know it wasn’t going to last long but I was going to use all the time I could with her. If I was going to die, at least I’m going to die a happy woman.

I suddenly felt the ground shake beneath me, knowing that Death will come knocking on my door.

“Airin! Go without me, I have some unsettled business to sort out!”

“Churi… No, why would you leave me before an earthquake?!”

“I’m a doctor, remember? I have to help injured people! Just go without me, Airin.”

“I guess this is goodbye for now. If you get injured, don’t say I didn’t warn you!”

We both parted ways, I started running to the hospital. 

I have a tendency to go a bit overboard, when it comes to my emotions. I just don’t want to lose her, nor do I want to lose my life…

I kept running. Unbeknown of the dangers, I heard shouts from the path I just ran through. 

“Churi!” I kept hearing the nickname she gave me. 

Airi….

I made a swift U-turn and tried to run as far as my legs could take me. I couldn’t risk losing her. Not when I just confessed my love to her.

“Airi!!!”

I saw her, on the floor, clutching her leg. It was red with crimson blood. I had no choice but to look after her wound, being a doctor. 

“Airin, just calm down. I’m here.”

She gave me a weak nod, signalling to me that I can do my job.  

As I was patching her up, putting the bandage on her, I noticed the strange atmosphere. Something is going to happen. Something bad waiting to happen when we least expect it...

“Akane, watch out for th-” I looked up, cut her off as I pushed her out of the way, before feeling pain and everything turned black….