Day Off (Final)

Day Off

 

 

 

 

 

The girl attempted to get him off his feet, the young boy was stubborn as he forced himself to stay in bed.

“Come on JaeBum… It’ll be fun! You really need this day off.” –She was unsuccessfully dragging him by his hands but he wouldn’t budge.

“I can’t! I have stuff to do!” –He complained not even minding opening his eyes.

She released his hands suddenly and accidentally JaeBum hit his head with the bed rest.

“Yah!” –He finally opened his eyes as he rubbed the back of his head and glared at the girl who had her hands on her hips.

“I was trying to get you out of bed nicely, but you forced me. You have a free schedule day and still you insist on staying behind because you imply you have things to do.” –She sat next to him and clung to his arm as he stared with an annoyed expression at her. –“Seriously, yeobo, you need a day off.”

“I can’t just leave my responsibilities, even if we have a free day.” –He reasoned shaking his head.

“And this is exactly why you need this day off JaeBum. You have too much on your shoulders and you’re not taking the time you need to relax…”

Still the boy insisted on his stubborn behavior.

“I already talked to the boys, and they all agreed on letting Mark and Jr. be in charge. So you have two heads instead of one working together on your behalf.” –She tugged him along to pull him from bed with a wide smile. –“Now go on and go get ready! We’re leaving in half an hour… A long fun day awaits us.”

Letting out a sigh as he watched her leave his room, JaeBum had no choice but to unwillingly push himself off of his bed and go along with her words.

--

 

“Why can’t I be in charge?” –Jackson whined as the girl ignored him and she prepared some small snacks.

“Because, everyone else agreed that Mark and Jr. would. Please stop complaining about it Jackson. You were there and we all talked it out… Remember?” –She turned to look for the bag to put the things at and Jackson followed closely after her.

“But JB said clearly once he’d let me be in charge of the group on his absence.”

The girl rolled her eyes and finished the conversation with the boy who would not give up.

“Fine… Do you want to help them then? Three are better than two anyways…”

He still wasn’t convinced, but he analyzed her words.

“But I’ll be more in charge than Mark…” –He added.

“No, I said you can help them…”

“But I’ll be more in charge than Junior then…” –He again insisted.

A strong sigh escaped her lips and she groaned. “FINE!”

A smile of satisfaction drew itself on Jackson’s lips as he auto proclaimed him with victory. The girl turned after Jackson hyperactively left the kitchen, and only came to find the amused grins of Bam Bam and Yugyeom who had witnessed the whole scene from the dinner table.

“Don’t laugh…” –She said pointing her index fingers at the young ones.

They were all too familiar with these kinds of scenes between her and Jackson, and as almost always, Jackson left with ‘the victory’ or so he thought.

 

She walked to JaeBum’s room and knocked softly.

“Are you ready?”

After hearing some shuffling coming from the room, the door finally opened before her. JB’s face had an uninterested frown, and his cute fedora hat was crooked, almost as if he intended to look as indifferent about it as he could and the big scarf he had seemed like it was just thrown on carelessly.

“What’s up with that face? You look like you’re going to receive a punishment or something.” –She said as she fixed him a bit so he could look presentable to go out with.

The corner of his lip turned upward sarcastically, he was still making it hard for her to be excited about spending some time alone with her boy.

“Let’s just go to see if we could get you to enjoy yourself for a while…” –She turned to get her things and mumbled. –“Hopefully…”

Right when she had her things, she went to the living room to find JB talking closely to Mark and Junior.

“… If anything happens call me, alright?”

The poor two boys nodded, but they seemed to be concerned; their leader really took his responsibilities too seriously, sometimes too much.

“JaeBum, everything will be fine yeobo… Leave them be they’ll do a good job.” –The girl reassured him and grabbed him by the arm to push him out the door.

“I’ll do a good job too! I’m in charge!” –Jackson hollered from the kitchen just to get the attention he always desired.

“Mark and Junior are in charge too, don’t forget it!” –She yelled back so he’d have that clear.

“But I’m still more in charge than Junior!” –Jackson shot back at her and Junior rolled his eyes to his group mate’s behavior.

“Alright! Bye guys!” –She finished as soon as she could to get JaeBum away from the corner of his stress. The mission of the day, get JB to at least relax, even if it’s just a little.

 

---

 

They had practically walked the parts of the city she usually enjoyed the most, but JB’s mind seemed to be elsewhere.  Many times he’d just peek surreptitiously at his phone, just before she could catch him. When she excitedly pointed at different places, he’d sympathetically smile, almost as if he wasn’t even trying to have a good time. And seriously, that was getting into her nerves.

“Let’s go eat lunch here! It’s been a while since I came here… You’ll love it!”

She took his hand and dragged him to the inside of the building. All precautions were taken before coming out with her boyfriend just so he wouldn’t get the unwanted attention, so she quickly walked with him to one of the booths, which of course was one of her favorite features of the place, not to mention the delicious food. Which she was hoping, would at least get his mood up.

“Sit here, I’ll go order for us.”

For a change, he smiled and agreed with her, making her feel at ease. She walked to the counter after closing the door behind her and excitedly ordered his favorite foods and drinks and desserts.

After waiting several minutes for the food to be ready, she carefully walked towards the booth and skillfully opened the door without spilling anything on the bright checkered floor.

“Here we go!” –She happily presented the food to the boy who had quickly put his phone away.

She didn’t pin point anything just yet, but she told herself she’d keep a closer eye on the very anxious young man. A sincere smile spread on his lips as all the foods were placed before him, the thanks quickly left his lips as he rubbed his hands together in anticipation.

As strange as it would sound, the girl loved the crazy appetite her boyfriend had, and she truly enjoyed having meals with him.

Without hesitating the boy started to shove big spoonfuls of food on his mouth, and ate very quickly.

“Take it easy JaeBum. If you choke you’d probably bring the attention of every single person in this place.” –She chuckled softly as she ate and watched the apparently very hungry boy.

“This is so good… I don’t remember the last time I’ve eaten something so good.” –He said after swallowing the last spoon he had on his mouth.

“If you had stayed back in the dorm, you would’ve missed…” –She was about to finish her sentence when his phone with a message tone.

She narrowed her eyes at him and he eye smiled and innocently took another spoon of food.

“You’re still at it?”

“At what?” –He avoided her eyes; she had caught on to him this time.

“That was Mark… You were texting him again.” –She crossed her arms and leaned back.

He shook his head and kept eating.

“Junior?” –The girl asked again and again he shook his head.

“Oh… Jackson.”

JaeBum didn’t answer as his expression said it all.

“Give it.”

He scoffed at her sudden authority as her hand was placed before him.

“What? Why?”

“Because, I took you out specifically so you could have a worry free day, but you keep insisting on dragging this on with you.” –She moved her fingers and placed her hand closer. –“Give me your phone please JaeBum. I want to help you.

I know it’s very hard for you to get that through your mind, and you feel responsible for every little thing that happens. But everyone, needs at least to have a stress free day every once in a while. And I haven’t really seen you have one in who knows how long…”

He sighed and slowly took his phone out of his pocket which again had ringed with another text.

“Just so you know I can’t leave my responsibilities behind.” –He muttered as he held the phone in her hand.

“And I’m not saying you are going to do that, but just for today you will.” –She took the phone and turned the sound to vibration and placed it in her purse. –“If something comes up, I’ll give it back to you, I’ll keep you up if the guys try to contact you, but for now just forget about it alright?”

She put her hand over his, and smiled sweetly at the sulking boy. –“Now finish the food… There are a couple other places I want to take you to.”

 

--

The girl happily kept her word, and took him to a stroll around the lively city. And somehow things took a pleasant turn, since JaeBum no longer seemed to have regretted leaving back all his worried thoughts. He appeared to sincerely enjoy his afternoon little by little.

Also she kept her promise to keep him informed with the guys, just so he could also be at ease. After all, even if he wasn’t there with them, they were his responsibility. One she wanted to alleviate for a little while.

Gradually the afternoon faded slowly into night time as the sun begun to set across the city, turning the whole sky into a beautiful auburn color. Jaebum had his hand laced along with hers as they walked in the sidewalk and did random stops when something caught their attention. She truly enjoyed when smiles spread on his lips as he attentively watched some street performances. He would occasionally spin her around as the rhythm changed, joining the small party formed by the strangers surrounding them.

After the claps announced the end of the show, they decided to walk to the famous yet breathtaking Han River to enjoy what were the last hours of their afternoon together. The sun had now set into the horizon and only a thin layer of red peeked from below the deep blue sky.

The couple found themselves a comfortable seat across the river, brightened up by the lamp posts. They weren’t the only ones enjoying their evening in that place, for some young and not so young couples, not to mention families walked past by them who had their eyes set in the gorgeous sparkling water.

The boy took a glance at the girl who sat next to him. The way the corner of her lip tugged upwards as a sign of peace and comfort, her eyelashes that curled up naturally from her expressive eyes, and her silky hair that fell down to her shoulders.

Sheepishly, like a nervous and hesitant little boy he scooted even closer to her, and draped his arm around her shoulder bringing now a bigger grin on her face. He caressed her hair and leaned his face to her neck, resting his chin on her shoulder, taking a small breath in.

“I love the way you smell… It’s calming…” –He said in a dreamy gaze.

The girl feeling ticklish from his breath turned slightly to see his face and accepted him into her embrace, taking in on the warmness their bodies provided in contrast with the night time breeze.

She caressed his face, not taking her eyes from his.

“How do you feel now?” –Although she knew well he had needed this all along, despite him being against it in the first place, she didn’t want to rub it in his face just now that she had managed to do exactly what she intended.

He hummed and grinned as her finger graced his eyelid softly.

“Better…”

She smiled and leaned forward, making the boy close his eyes instinctively as she softly kissed his eyelid, right where two small beauty spots were, ones she had always loved so much. He couldn’t contain his smile even more, so he brought her to his arms.

“I’m glad…” –She said and embraced him completely. To her, this day was a complete success. A mission complete.

“I wish I could stay like this forever though…” –JaeBum sighed knowing that this day was slowly ticking by, and going to end very soon.

She pulled away with a faint smirk, he knew exactly why, he chuckled softly and looked away as she just with her eyes.

“See! I told you. I knew you’d enjoy it.” –She fixed his bangs and made him face him with her finger on his chin. –“Now you’re relaxed, and you know that every now and then you can always count on the boys to be in charge if you need it, or just help you out. Everything doesn’t have to fall upon your shoulders all the time.”

He nodded and added. –“But next time I’ll be the one taking you out alright?” –He took her hand and brought it to his lips for a sweet kiss, which brought her to giggle softly, and nodded.

Now that unquestionably, the day was about to end, she sighed and turned to her purse to pull out something which she held out to him.

“Here, you did well today. You deserve this back.” –She chuckled and he took it happily, but even when he didn’t intend to turn it on, the screen shone from an incoming message.

He opened it, and his smile faded completely.

“Oh uh…”

Having a good idea of what or more specifically who it could be, and not a good feeling about it from that expression, she rolled her eyes and without thinking twice she said.

“Jackson?” –More like a statement rather than a question.

He nodded and showed her a sad awkward smile.

“We have to go…” –He showed her the photo from his phone and she could only hold her laugh for so long.

“Please explain to me again why on earth you would choose him to be your substitute leader…” –She said in between chuckles earning a glare from JB. –“You know very well you can’t trust him…”

He stood up after putting his phone in his pocket and looked down at her.

“Don’t get me started on that…” –Jaebum took her hand with her still into her small fits of laughter.

“I knew I should’ve not given him that authority this morning. I should’ve stood my ground.” –She laughed even louder remembering the image.

Jaebum glanced at her from his shoulder as she stayed back chuckling until she could no more, and was not able to contain his laugh any longer.

Even when he knew he had to get back to the routine, he couldn’t be any more thankful for a wonderful worry free day. He couldn’t deny that maybe he needed this day off after all.

 



 

:) Hope you guys liked it! 

Thanks for reading! <3