Nervous?

Of Roller Coasters and Acrophobia

Jungkook and Taehyung were on break for the summer, much like the rest of the student body these days. A new theme park had opened a few weeks ago where they had advertised “The tallest, fastest roller coaster in this hemisphere!” Jungkook was always up for a challenge and had asked, more like dragged, Taehyung along with him.

The lines for most of the rides had been extremely long considering the theme park was new. It sparked the interest of many people, even those from miles away. Taehyung had requested that they ride other rides before tackling the roller coaster but Jungkook was dead set on beating the monster right from the start.

“Jungkook please.” Taehyung had whined as the younger drug him along by the wrist.

“You’re just scared. You said you’d ride it with me.” The other didn’t even look back at him.

“I will ride it. I didn’t expect you to want to ride it first.”

“Nothing wrong with getting your adrenaline going.” Jungkook smirked as the other groaned.

“Look, it’s going to be fine. It’s supposed to be really fun! I’m sure you’re going to enjoy it.” Jungkook tried to reason as they came up to the line.

Taehyung sighed. The line was just as long, if not longer, than that of the other rides nearby. They would be there a while. He started to look around at the people and kiosks littered around the area they stood. They weren’t under the shade and the sun was swelteringly hot. He thanked whatever deity would listen for his choice of a white tank top and shorts that day. If he was going to stand in the sun, at least he wasn’t going to fry.

Ten minutes past and they had barely moved at all. Maybe three steps maximum. Jungkook was bouncing around as he watched the coaster twirl round and round. Taehyung cringed.

Jungkook was his best friend and knew he had a slight fear of heights. This ride being the “tallest, fastest roller coaster” wasn’t helping at all. Just as he was about to voice an excuse to not have to go on the ride, the coaster passed right over the top of them, people screaming and from the sound of it, crying. Taehyung’s heart rate picked up drastically.

He stood frozen when the line moved up. Jungkook had to grab his arm to pull him forward to his spot.

“I bet you my entire allowance you’re going to chicken out.” Jungkook laughed.

“I will not chicken out!”

“Mhmm. Sure.”

Taeyung rolled his eyes and crossed his arms but he knew deep inside that yeah, he was probably going to chicken out. He’d get on the ride and immediately ask to be unbuckled and set free. He didn’t care if Jungkook laughed at him for the rest of the summer. He didn’t feel like dying on some dumb ride at a theme park.

“Are you nervous?” An amused voice asked beside him.

Taehyung blinked and turned to see who was speaking to him.

He was met with a soft smile and dark, shining eyes. The boy looked not much older than himself and had light brown hair.

“Excuse me?” Taehyung asked. The boy laughed.

“I said, are you nervous? You keep fidgeting.” Taehyung didn’t know whether to be embarrassed that a stranger noticed he was scared or creeped out because a stranger had been watching him.

“Uhm. I’m-yeah. I’m a little nervous.” He watched as the other gave a sympathetic smile.

“It’s really not that bad. We came here the first day the park opened.” The boy gestured to his friend, another older looking boy that was shorter than all three of them and looked like he was indifferent about the world.

“It just looks bad. When you’re on it, it goes by so fast it’s like you never left the starting point.”

“See? I told you there was nothing to be afraid of!” Jungkook shoved Taehyung’s shoulder.

“If he’s like this in line, he’s going to be scared less when they strap him in. The first time we got on it, Hoseok here had to ask them to let him off the ride. He held up the ride for five minutes trying to convince the guy to undo his belts.”

The boy, Hoseok, frowned.

“Well I didn’t say it wasn’t scary. I just said it wasn’t that bad.” He stuck his tongue out at his friend.

The other rolled his eyes and Jungkook laughed.

“Have you guys been here often? Or just the first day?” Jungkook asked.

“The park’s been open for about a month and we’ve been here once a week since it opened.” The friend offered.

“Yeah, instead of saving the money we make, we come here and waste it on rides and expensive food.” Hoseok smiled and Taehyung’s heart began to pick up again, though not because of the anticipation for the roller coaster.

“So, what are your names? I’m Hoseok, as he already said, and he is Yoongi.” The friend, Yoongi, nodded in acknowledgment.

“I’m Jungkook and this is Taehyung. What year are you guys in?”

“I just graduated actually. I’m starting college here in the city in a couple of weeks. Yoongi is leaving to study abroad for a semester.”

“That’s pretty cool. I’m a second year.” Jungkook offered in conversation. When Taehyung didn’t say anything, he elbowed him in the side.

“Omf- I-I’m a third year.” Taehyung’s arms were still crossed and he began to wrap them tightly around himself hoping he could magically disappear into nothingness. He’s not good at conversation. Well, conversation with people that made his heart explode within the first five minutes of knowing each other.

“Cool, cool. So, this is your first time here?” Hoseok asked, looking at Taehyung as he asked.

Jungkook had to answer since Taehyung seemed to lose his voice.

“Yeah. I saw an ad for this coaster and had to drag him along or my mom wouldn’t let me go. She thinks he’s my babysitter but it’s normally the other way around. I don’t know why he’s being so silent.” If Taehyung could strangle Jungkook and get away with it, he would have in that moment. He knew something was up with Taehyung and was bringing it to the attention of the others on purpose.

“Maybe it’s the nervousness getting to him.” Hoseok laughed. “You guys heard about my first experience on here.” Yoongi snorted, Jungkook smiled.

--

By the time the line had finally moved up enough where they were securely under the shade of the loading station, Taehyung was biting at his fingernails and on the verge of ripping out his hair.

Hoseok and Yoongi had continued small talk the entire time. Taehyung had barley said fifteen words max.

“Hey.” Hoseok lightly elbowed Taehyung to get his attention. When he looked up, Taehyung was met with that same soft smile Hoseok had been giving since he first started talking to them.

“It’ll really be okay. It honestly isn’t that bad once you get used to it going around.” He continued to smile and Taehyung couldn’t help but return it.

“I don’t like heights.” He said lowly to the other.

“And you’re in line for the ‘tallest, fastest roller coaster in this hemisphere?’” Hoseok was flailing his arms exaggeratedly but it made Taehyung laugh.

“He drug me along. I don’t have much say when he gets my mom in on it. We grew up next door to each other and my mom loves him more than she loves me and my siblings.” Taehyung laughed again.

“You’re just mad she makes you get out of the house when I ask to see you.” Jungkook rolled his eyes.

“Again, she likes you more than she likes us.” Jungkook responded by sticking out his tongue.

“Cute.” Hoseok said, looking straight at Taehyung.

“Next!” A loud voice rang out behind Taehyung and he froze again. He hadn’t realized they were next in line, too preoccupied with his worries than anything.

Jungkook practically ran up the steps to get in the front car. Taehyung didn’t move as Yoongi and Hoseok walked passed him, Hoseok stopping to turn and look at him.

He smiled and held out his hand to Taehyung.

“Come on. You can sit by me if you want. I’m sure Jungkook will tease you the whole time if you sit by him.” Hoseok’s eyes nearly disappeared he was smiling so brightly.

“S-sure.” Taehyung’s voice came out quitter than he expected. He hesitantly grabbed a hold of Hoseok's hand.

Hoseok led him about half way towards the middle of the train of cars. Jungkook, watching from the front car, stuck out his tongue and laughed at him. Yoongi settled in the seat next to him. They high fived as Jungkook got buckled into his seat.

Taehyung took a deep breath and sat sown next to Hoseok, who had yet to let go of his hand.

It should have been weird trusting this stranger like this. They’d just met maybe twenty minutes earlier, but Hoseok had this positive aura about him that made him feel trustworthy and honest. He radiated rainbows and sunshine.

“You okay?” Hoseok asked.

“Getting there.” He replied.

Hoseok leaned towards him slightly and spoke softly.

“You know you don’t have watch right? You can close your eyes. I won’t tell them.” He winked and Taehyung was sure his heart stopped beating completely.

“Thanks.” Taehyung made sure to smile. Hoseok was being nothing but kind to him but he felt like a little girl around her first crush.

The ride operator came to them next and strapped them in. Taehyung’s breathing picked up and he felt like he was about to pass out. He felt Hoseok’s hand on his again, this time rubbing soothing circles into his wrist.

“Just take a deep breath. Slowly, in and out.” Hoseok’s voice was calm. That in itself helped a little.

Taehyung did as he was told and took a few deep breaths slowly. It did help, but before he could voice his thanks, the operator came on the intercom and explained that they needed to keep their arms and legs in the ride and to not mess with their belts.

Before they knew it, the button was pushed and the train of cars began to slowly take off down the track.

“Oh god. Oh god! I can’t do this. I can’t do this!” Taehyung started struggling in the seat.

“Hey, hey, hey. Taehyung look at me.” Hoseok’s voice was still calm.

“Look at me.” He commanded. The younger listened and looked over as far as the seat would allow him move.

“It’s going to be fine. I’m right here. I’ve done this before okay? It’ll be alright. Take a deep breath.” Hoseok was still holding his hand, his grip never lessening.

“I can’t do this.” Taehyung’s eyes were watering and his throat already felt like it was closing up.

“Yes you can!” Hoseok smiled. “You can do it! You’ve made it this far, you can make it to the end.”

Taehyung closed his eyes and rested his head on the back of the headrest.

The roller coaster was nearing the peak.

“Remember, I said it was okay to close your eyes.”

Taehyung was baffled that Hoseok could remain so calm. He’d have to ask him how he does it, if they lived.

There isn’t much after the ride ends that Taehyung can remember. He just remembered feeling lighter than air for a few seconds and then violently being whipped around. The entire time Hoseok held his hand though. Never once did he let go until the operator came to unbuckle them.

“That was awesome!” Jungkook yelled as he bounced around. “Tae! Didn’t you love it?”

“Yep. It was pretty great.” Taehyung’s smile didn’t reach his eyes.

“I bet he screamed the whole time didn’t he?” Jungkook asked Hoseok.

“Not at all. I think I was more afraid than him.” Hoseok smiled at him. Taehyung looked him in the eye, hoping he understood the thanks he was sending Hoseok’s way. He could have told Jungkook he’d kept his eyes closed and had a death grip on Hoseok’s hand but he didn’t and for that, he was grateful. He wouldn’t have to hear Jungkook’s jokes.

Jungkook turned back to bouncing around, chatting excitedly with Yoongi about the next ride they should go on.

“You okay?” A quiet voice sounded right behind Taehyung’s ear.

He turned his head and looked at Hoseok out of the corner of his eye.

“Yeah. I think you lied though.”

Hoseok cocked his head slightly in confusion.

“You said it wasn’t that bad but I think I’ve lost ten years of my life.”

Hoseok laughed and placed his hand on Taehyung’s shoulder.

“You’ll be fine.”

“Yeah.” Taehyung smiled brightly. “I think I will.”


A/N: Thank you so much for reading! Tell me what you think~ I'm thinking of adding to this so don't forget to subscribe just in case ;)