Final

The Best Friend or BoyFriend

If one was to ask who Lee Hyukjae's best friend was, they would receive two different answers. The loyal ELF would gush about how Hyukjae and Donghae were practically in separate able while the most experience K-Pop fan would say JYJ's Junsu. Both answers were correct of course but for different reasons. Hyukjae and Junsu have been best friends since middle school. Where the latter befriended the often bullied Hyukjae. They shared their dreams and hopes with one another. They shared their triumphs and their defeats. They joined the same company and despite debuting in separate groups were always extremely supportive of one another. And even when Junsu left SME the two were still close. They went to each other's concerts, followed their theater performances, and still insulted one another on Twitter. They were the type of friends that would last through thick and thin. The type that will be the Best Man at each other's weddings. The ones that were best friends forever.

For Lee Donghae the relationship was a little different. They were bandmates, the legendary EunHae pair. Everyone from the company to their friends and family and of course their fans shipped the pair. They trained together, debuted together, collaborated at every concert, and they have won more couple contest than any other pairing in all of K-Pop. They even had their own sub-unit and have released a handful of songs together. They were close, closer than any pair of friends in the band. They always knew what the other was feeling. They knew what the other was saying even when no words were spoken. They were soul mates.

The only glaring difference between Junsu and Donghae was if Hyukjae had to choose between the two he would always pick Junsu. All of Hyukjae's friends and family and former girlfriends knew this. No matter where he was or what he was doing if the JYJ member needed him then Hyukjae was there. There was never a problem when it came to his friends dealing with this situation. They understood the relationship between the two. After all friendship that deep was not that uncommon in their world. However his girlfriends would be upset at times of him always bailing on them for Junsu. Nine out of ten times the reason for their break ups came down to this. The only other person who seemed to not like Hyukjae's loyalty to Junsu was Donghae.

It wasn’t like he disliked the other. Donghae knew that he was as much of an important friend to Hyukjae as Junsu was. And Junsu was a funny guy. He was always quick to spill one of many embarrassing stories about the monkey. And he was kind and friendly to Donghae, always treated him like a part of their schemes and not another person who was just there. He knew better than anyone the type of love the JYJ member had for their mutual friend.

But Donghae never liked when he didn’t have all of Hyukjae's attention on him. He was rather a spoiled princess when it came to Hyukjae's attention. It only got worse when Donghae went from the Best Friend status to Boyfriend. He was extremely jealous with Hyukjae's at tendency to still go to Junsu whenever the other called.

"But Hyukkie!" Donghae whined into the phone. "You promised to go with me to get tacos today since it’s the first time we both had no schedules."

"I know Hae, but Junsu wanted my help on this project he's doing." Hyukjae tried to explain to his clearly upset boyfriend.

"You love Junsu more than me!" Donghae cried.

"That's not true Hae!" Hyukjae defended himself.

But before he could go any further Donghae had already hung up their conversation. Sighing he threw his phone on Junsu's bed and collapsed on it.

"How upset is he?" Junsu asked from his desk where he was looking at something on his computer.

"He's reached the 'You love Junsu more than me' phase." Hyukjae replied tiredly.

Junsu winced at this. Normally that was the point where Hyukjae would typically break up with his girlfriends. The Super Junior member was not the type to have patients when it came to having to choose between the girlfriend and Junsu. However, Junsu didn’t want that to happen this time around since Donghae seemed to make Hyukjae truly happy for once. He needed to fix this before it became another heartbreak for not one, but two of his friends.

"Maybe you should bring him around next time." Junsu suggested.

"Seriously Su? I thought this whole thing was supposed to be kept secret because it was a surprise."

"It is, but I don’t want Donghae to get the wrong idea. He's actually perfect for you. I don’t want you two to break up because of me. You love him way more than any of your former girlfriends."

"I do Su, but it gets old fast. Why must I always chose between you and whom I dating? Why can't I have both?" He asked in a tired voice.

"Bring Donghae around next time. Show him he is just as important as I am. The guys smart despite the fact he acts like he's seven."

"More like he's five."

"Wouldn’t that make you a e then?"

Hyukjae swatted at his best friend and hit him squarely on the arm. Junsu snickered at this and was glad to get a laugh out of the other. After some more pestering he was able to convince Hyukjae to his suggestion. And a couple of weeks later Donghae found himself awkwardly shifting on his feet as he stood next to Hyukjae outside Junsu's home.

"Are you sure it's okay for me to be here?" Donghae asked for the twenty time.

"Yes Hae. He wants you here." Hyukjae reminded him.

"Do you want me here?" Donghae asked nervously.

After his hang up on Hyukjae from awhile back there was an obvious tension between the two. They barely spoke to each other and only did the minimal amount of fan service for their concerts. The fans noticed it though and were trying to send supportive messages to  the two but it was only adding to the fact that something was obviously wrong between their precious EunHae pair. The whole thing was stressing Donghae out. He didn’t want his relationship with Hyukjae to end on a similar note as his other relationships. But he also had a hard time apologizing too. Hyukjae wasn’t giving him the time of day to do so. Hyukjae glanced over and noticed how stressed Donghae looked and easily caught his hand in his own. Donghae looked up at him hopefully.

"I just want you to trust me." Hyukjae replied calmly. He brought the hand up to his lips and gave it a kiss.

"I do trust you Hyukkie. And I trust Junsu as well. I just get really jealous of him and you being together." Donghae muttered embarrassed.

Hyukjae chuckled at this and turned to face the other. Tilting his chin up he pressed his lips against the other. By reflex Donghae turned to mush and happily returned the kiss. The kiss was beginning to turn heated when Junsu decided to open the door.

"Oh ugh! Gross Hyuk! I don’t need to start my day with seeing you and Donghae face." The man cried as he covered his eyes.

"You're just jealous that I have a hot boyfriend to do this with Su." The dancer replied smugly.

Junsu reached out to hit Hyukjae but because his eyes were still closed he ended up smacking Donghae in the head instead.

"Ouch!" The younger cried not as much in pain as in surprise.

"Su!" Hyukjae scolded his friend. He began to fret over Donghae, checking over him for any injuries.

"Sorry Donghae. That was meant for the smelly monkey." Junsu apologized as he also tended to the younger.

"It's okay. Is this how you two normally greet one another?" He questioned as the three headed inside.

"Pretty much. Hyuk is normally an when he first comes."

"Your one to talk Dolphin ."

"Maybe I don’t want to be jealous of you two. You have a very abusive relationship." Donghae joked.

"Says the one who smacks my arm every time he finds something funny." Hyukjae muttered under his breath.

"Well what can one say. You are a masochist." Junsu replied cheeky.

Hyukjae reached to hit his best friend but Junsu nimbly stepped out of the way. Laughing he went to the other side of Donghae and used him as a shield between him and Hyukjae. Donghae was clearly amused by their antics. They clearly had a typical bro relationship.

"I am glad you are here Donghae." Junsu began as he led the duo further into his home. "Hyukjae and I are working on something and I thought it would be nice for a fresh pair of eyes to look at it."

"I thought this whole thing was to show me that I need to stop being so jealous of you two and see that nothing was going on between you two."

"Well there is that too. But I do want your opinion on our project. It's like a bonus on this little play date we planned."

Donghae nodded at this. He was glad Junsu seemed so casual about all of it. Heavens knows he has had his fair share of jealous Hyukjae girlfriends. He was probably a pro by it all at this point. Although Donghae did feel bad that he was causing this type of drama for the two friends. He quickly turned his thoughts away from that.

"So what's the project?" He inquired curiously.

Junsu led him to his computer where the screen was open. Donghae leaned close and read the title at the top in big bold letters. 'Mom and Dad's Surprise Anniversary Party!'

"See JUNO is busy with his work in Japan and can only come out for the actual party so I'm in charge in planning the whole thing. And since it’s a lot of work I've asked Hyukjae for help since he is practically a third son to my parents anyways. The day he bailed on you to come here was because the place we had the reservations for fell through and we needed to find a new place fast."

The more Junsu explained the more guilty Donghae felt. He should have realized his boyfriend was doing something really important that caused him to leave. Hyukkie was loyal to his friends and always willing to help out when the need arise. Pouting he turned to apologized to Hyukjae when he realized the other was not even there. He was about to call out to him but was stopped by Junsu's hand on his arm. Donghae turned back to the other curiously. Junsu had a look on his face that clearly said he had something on his mind and was figuring out how to say it.

Donghae, I've had my fair share of dealings with Hyukjae's girlfriends and how upset they get because of our friendship. And normally I could care less about them, since they clearly don’t understand the whole thing and are not worth Hyuk's time. And I do suspect that they are with him because he's famous and not because of who he really is. But this time I do want the relationship to work. I know how much you truly love one another and I don’t want either of you to lose that."

"I do love him and I know I shouldnt get so upset. I've seen how annoyed Hyukkie gets with each girls jealousy. I thought I was above that but clearly I am just as bad."

Junsu chuckled at Donghae's dejected face. Despite the fact the three of them were the same age, Donghae always acted like he was much younger. He ruffled Donghae's hair.

"Donghae-ah, I like you. You are the best person for Hyukjae. You two complement each other perfectly. And without sounding completely sappy, you deserve each other."

"Thanks Junsu-ah. That means a lot to me." Donghae replied softly. "And it was only a little cheesy."

"I want this to work. Hyukjae has never been happier as he is with you. And I don’t like him upset, unless I'm the one doing it. So don’t screw it up."

"I won't." Donghae promised. Turning to the computer he pointed to the screen. "Why not take your parents to a place that’s small and quiet. A place where you all can celebrate without having to worry about fans getting involved."

"You have a place in mind?"

"There is this really nice café not too far from the SM dorms. Its run by a foreign family who have no idea who is a part of the K-Pop world and are really friendly. Hyukkie and I got there a lot on our date nights. ELF may want us to be dating but that doesn't mean we want them on our dates."

Junsu laughed at this. Asking for the name of the café he looked it up online.

"How come Hyukjae has never told me about this place?"

"Because it's our special place." Hyukjae replied from behind them.

"Hyukkie!" Donghae cried out cheerfully.

"There you are. I was beginning to think you got lost or something." Junsu said with a smirk.

"I've been listening to you two talk. I didn’t want to interrupt." Hyukjae explained as he walked up to them. One of his arms went out as an invitation to Donghae to cuddle next to him. Something the other happily complied.

"Hyukkie, I hope you don’t mind that I told Junsu about our spot. I thought it would be a nice place for his parents anniversary without the uninvited guest."

"I know Hae. And I'm okay with it. Su's parents deserve something nice like this."

Donghae practically purred with pleasure at Hyukjae's approval. Junsu rolled his eyes at their exchange but smiled none the less. With the entire group finally together they buckled down and got some serious work done. They spent a good two hours working on the project before Junsu was pleased with the results. He called it a day before telling the couple to enjoy the rest of the day together.

"Are you sure?" Donghae asked in concern.

"Yeah, we got a lot done and I know you two would rather be together without me in the picture. Go get some tacos or something." Junsu suggested casually but there was a grin on his lips.

"Are you making fun of me?" Donghae asked with a pout.

"Partially." Junsu admitted with a small smirk. He began to lead the couple form his room to the front door. With an exaggerated flourish he opened the front door.

"Now get the out of here."

"So rude, Su." Hyukjae said with a roll of his eyes. He grabbed Donghae's hand and smiled. "Let's go Hae, Su is being a horrible host."

Donghae laughed and was barely able to get a good bye out before he was pulled from the house. Smiling happily at their linked hands he began to swing them cheerfully.

"So about those tacos." He began with a smile.