i.

Before Sunset

 


Pushing past the last door to the roof, Jessica stomped away angrily as her fist balled up in pure rage.

Plagiarism? Jessica mumbled under her breath. How dare they accuse her of plagiarizing another’s work?

Just because Jessica was quiet and reserved, just because she didn’t have a particularly attractive face nor does she comes from a respectable family, just because y goodness HyunA managed to take a peek at Jessica’s presentation, passing off her main points as her own and just like that Jessica was accused off plagiarizing her own work.

Jessica couldn’t help but scoff at the irony.

Placing two hands on the cold steel railings, Jessica groaned. It wasn’t fair.

The rooftop of the business block was rarely inhabited, it wasn’t exactly bustling but whenever she was there, she’d always spot one or two students out on the roof as well. Taking a smoke or jilting class, the rooftop was a haven for that.

While Jessica was part of the latter, another group of students fell under the former.

Three girls were huddled in a corner, laughing gently, speaking in hushed voices. It was like a secret code of the roof, do whatever it is you want to do but don’t ever bother someone else. Do what it is you have to and once you’re done get the hell out.

Jessica barely paid them any attention as she stared out in the distance, imaging what it’ll be like to wrap her hands around y HyunA’s delicate neck.

Or would throwing her off the building at the very spot she was standing a better option?

She never found her answer as she felt a tap on her shoulder, breaking her train of thoughts.

“Are you thinking of jumping?” A blonde haired girl asked, taking a long drag of the cigarette.

“What?”

“I’ll take that as a no.”

Jessica gave her an incredulous stare. She’s seen her around once or twice with the same group of friends who were now nowhere in sight. She found it strange.

“Would you like a stick?”

Looking up in surprise, Jessica politely shook her head. “I don’t smoke.”

The blonde haired girl laughed; smoke flaring out from her lips and nostrils. “Two types of people come here. Do you know which type you are?”

Jessica shrugged, her eyebrows knitting together. “What types of people come here?”

“The smokers or non smokers. You are clearly a non smoker.”

Jessica threw her an incredulous look once again, turning away so that the strange girl wouldn’t see the upturn of the corners of her lips. “That’s a stupid observation.”

“And it made you smile.” The blonde haired girl smiled, dropping the of the cigarette onto the floor, crushing it under her foot. “I’m Taeyeon by the way. Kim Taeyeon.”

Jessica nodded, smirking slightly at the other girl. “Jessica Jung.”

“So what brings the icy quiet Jessica here when she should be busy trying to keep awake in Accounting?”

Jessica frowned, she hated that label. She tried to keep a low profile but somehow it passed her off as cold and aloof to others “How do you know that?”

“We share some lectures.”

“Oh, I’ve never seen you around.”

Taeyeon’s eyes narrowed. “I’m not that short.”

“I didn’t mean it in th –yeah you are.” Jessica jokingly remarked. By now she’d completely forgotten why she was even angry in the first place.

 The rooftop was something of a secret hideout for Jessica. Not many knew of its existence. Certainly none of her friends knew of it, and Jessica intended for it to stay that way. It was a solitary thing, therapeutic even.

Being with someone else felt different, even though they didn’t exchange words. Taeyeon quietly lit up another cigarette.  Jessica was hypnotized by the swirling of the exhaled smoke patterns.

It was new, different.


Sighing, Jessica glanced at the overhead clock as she entered the lecture hall. 12 on the dot. Tardiness was something she couldn’t stand. If only Tiffany could just shut the hell up. Begging and pleading, kicking up a huge fuss over Jessica not attending some stupid party.

“C’mon, it’s Heechul. It’s ing Kim Heechul! The club his dad owns is going to be closed because he wants to throw a damn party and you don’t want to go? Are you out of your ing mind?”

Jessica threw Tiffany an annoyed look. Her tantrums were getting out of hand and her hands were itching for some action.

“No, I’m not going.” The tone in Jessica’s voice full of force, warning Tiffany to shut the hell up or else Jessica would do it for her.

 

She settled at the back of the hall, her favorite spot. A shadow fell over her and Jessica reluctantly lifted her head.

“Anyone sitting over here?”

Jessica’s cheeks burned as Taeyeon grinned cheekily at her. She took the seat beside Jessica and started pulling her things out of her bag.

Taeyeon wasn’t exactly what you’d call a helpful person. She’d rather keep her eyes on her phone instead of helping an elderly cross the road.

But seeing the pale, brown haired Jessica staring out into the distance as she gripped the railings scared Taeyeon. Sunny and Yuri had insisted on leaving but she couldn’t leave the girl like that. What if something did happen?

Well, nothing serious did happen, but yet something did happen.

Jessica Jung, the object of affection of all the guys and girls, the quiet alluring girl that could cut anyone down with just a glare sent shockwaves throughout Taeyeon the moment she saw her.

And now here she was finally plucking up the courage to sit beside her.

“I’ll take that as a no.”

Jessica quietly chuckled. “Even if I said yes, would you move?”

“Probably. Not.”

“Exactly.”

“You didn’t ditch today.” Jessica noted, mocking shock.

“Girl has to keep her grades up.” Taeyeon sighed as she squinted at their slightly overweight, balding professor, “You’ve been keeping tabs on me?”

“Wha – No?” Jessica spluttered as she refused to meet Taeyeon’s eyes. “Just yeah, worried for your grades, that’s right.” Sounding like she’s was trying to convince her own self more than anything else.

They fell into silence once again as their professor started becoming an effective lullaby. Jessica occasionally heard whispers of “Is that Taeyeon sitting with Jessica?””When were they friends, they’re so different?” She shifted uncomfortably in her seat as she peeked at Taeyeon who was surprisingly able to pay attention, a calm smile plastered on her face.

As students shifted in their seats, some stretching, rubbing the sleep out of their eyes, some hurriedly scurrying away, desperate to get the hell out, Taeyeon leaned over, her lips inches away from the lobe of Jessica’s ear.

“Party at Heechul’s tonight. I better see you there Jung, no excuses.”

 This was ridiculous. Hanging out with Tiffany was ridiculous. Loud music was already reverberating throughout the room it felt like her soul was vibrating along with it; Tiffany’s shouting wasn’t helping things.

“I’m so glad you came!”

“That makes one of us.” Jessica snorted. Parties, she hated them. Socializing wasn’t her talent. She left that to Tiffany, and with good reason. “I’m not glad I came.”

Tiffany chortled, shooing her away. “Get some booze in your system, dance with some hot guys.”

It was pointless, she shouldn’t be here. What possessed her to even think that this would’ve been a good idea in the first place?

“Jessica!” Someone shouted her name from the back and Jessica was reminded why she even came.

She nodded her head, in nonchalance at Taeyeon. “You came!”

“I came?” Jessica whispered, making it sound more like a question then a answer.

“You came.” The shorter girl affirmed. “Are you enjoying yourself?”

The words left Jessica’s mouth before she could even process it. “No.”

Taeyeon frowned, but only for a few seconds before she grabbed Jessica’s wrist and bounded towards the exit, Jessica in tow.

Despite her cries, Taeyeon ignored it, only releasing her after they were two streets away from their original location, standing in front of a brightly lit ice cream store. She watched as Jessica’s eyes lit up in amazement at the flavors on display, gulping as she couldn’t decide what type of ice cream to eat.

“Single, double scoop?” Jessica asked her eyes still focused on the ice cream on display. “Or should I get it with waffles?”

Taeyeon chuckled. She hadn’t expected to see this side of Jessica Jung… this almost wide-eyed childlike behavior, with all the frustrated pouting and knitted eyebrows.

They were more alike than expected.

It took fifteen minutes. Fifteen minutes for Jessica to pick her double scoop of salted caramel and vanilla with waffles. But as soon as her lips made contact with her food, all thoughts of regret of vaporized. “It’s like an in my mouth, holy .”

She immediately blushed when Taeyeon burst out laughing. She suddenly felt extremely self conscious. Jessica didn’t understand why, but she did.

“Are you enjoying yourself now?”

“Hell yeah.”

Taeyeon leaned back in her seat, satisfied as she her chocolate cone.

Word ran around quick that Jessica had found a new friend. It bothered her, how people scrutinized her choices even though they barely knew her. 

“You’ve been around that Taeyeon kid a lot recently.” Tiffany remarked, as they had lunch, one day.

Jessica frowned. “Yeah, anything wrong with that?”

“Nothing. You seem…happier.”

“I’m happy.”

 Tiffany eyed her, the silence felt suffocating. “Just don’t get hurt.”

Somehow the food tasted bland that day.

Jessica met Taeyeon on the corner just outside of campus; the older girl waved, took one last puff and dropped her cigarette onto the floor, stubbing it out with her foot.

“Took you long enough.”

Jessica punched Taeyeon’s shoulder, but there was no power behind it. “Sorry! Where are you bringing me?”

 Taeyeon shook her head, hair slowly coming loose from her braid, pulling the car door open, she gestured with her hands, “Get in; you’ll know when we’re there.”

The ride was mostly filled with silence, but unlike with Tiffany, it was comforting. Taeyeon or Jessica casually breaking it when a familiar song came on the radio, singing it at the top of their lungs.

As Jessica got out of the car she frowned. “Taeyeon isn’t this that waterpark that closed down years ago?”

“Yep” The older girl replied, popping the p sound. “Let’s go!”

“That doesn’t seem like a great idea?” Jessica reasoned her words laced with fear.

Taking a hold of Jessica’s hands, Taeyeon smiled. Her hands were warm and smooth. “I’ll protect you, don’t worry.”

Her fear didn’t subside but Taeyeon’s hands felt nice as the shorter girl navigated them around the area. Taeyeon proceeded around the area with familiar steps.

After a series of stairs and slopes, they arrived at the foot of a waterslide. Jessica sighed in disdain as they slowly hiked their way up the slide, Taeyeon laughing occasionally at Jessica’s expressions while the younger girl shot her irritated looks, but yet never once did she let go of her hand.

They reached the top and sat down, enjoying the cool breeze. The world seemed so quiet. The sunset took Jessica by surprised. At first it blinded her but the sun seemed like it was in a hurry, setting over the horizon quickly, leaving a purplish, pinkish hue in its wake.

Jessica glanced over her shoulder and caught a glimpse of Taeyeon. Her smile, the brightness behind her eyes, her infectious energy, her aura.

Don’t get hurt.

Tiffany’s words were whispered as it replayed in her mind. Jessica finally understood what Tiffany meant.

 

Jessica blamed it on her hormones, but she internally doubted it, what kind of menstrual cycle lasts for weeks, turning one into a clingy, possessive jealous ?

She admits that she has a tendency of destroying things while she’s on her period, but destroying friendships? That’s a first, even for her.

Maybe if she controlled her anger better and direct it correctly things wouldn’t have spiraled out of control.

Jessica’s doodling. Accounting lectures make no sense when Taeyeon isn’t there to explain things to her. She’s on her own again. She’s been on her own for the past few days…it’s been lonely. She eyes a certain blonde sitting two rows away from her and her frown deepens.

Jessica’s always been alone but not lonely. She relishes her solitude, her independence but for the first time being on her own just doesn’t feel right.

Jessica feels guilty but how can Taeyeon act so nonchalant about it? Like ignoring her was perfectly normal?

The lecture ends and Jessica rises from her seat quickly, she needs to get out of there but as soon as she’s out she spots Baekhyun leaning against some lockers.

Rolling her eyes, she walks in the opposite direction, even though it means she takes a longer route. There was no way she could walk past him and not try to punch his eye sockets into his brain. There was no way.

She rubbed the back of her neck. Jealousy was a .

“I haven’t seen that Taeyeon kid lately.” Tiffany casually remarks but Jessica can tell that Tiffany is anything but casual as she says it.

“You told me to stay away from her.”

 “I told you to not get hurt, not to stay away.” Tiffany sighs.” If staying away hurts then you should stop.”

“I’m not ing hurt.” Jessica scoffs but her voice cracks slightly.

“We both know that Taeyeon did not kiss Baekhyun, it was the other way round.”

“I don’t care. It’s none of my business.”

Tiffany pats Jessica’s head, soothingly. “You do, you care more then you should. And so does Taeyeon.”

“I’m scared. I – why am I even scared?”

“You know the answer to that Jessi.”

 Skipping out after a day packed with lectures, Taeyeon promised to bring her out for ice cream again. But expectations , and instead she was greeted by Baekhyun’s lips pressed against Taeyeon’s.

Watching Taeyeon being kissed made Jessica strangely angry. She went for a run that day and didn’t get back until past midnight. She thought she could just sweat it out, let her endorphins fix her up. Instead every step she took increased her fury.

Jessica questions herself. Is she just running away from the answer or is she truly ignorant.

She didn’t like it, the way Baekhyun was holding her, she didn’t like the way he always looked at her and she most certainly hated him kissing her.

 

Dragging herself off the bed, Jessica knows she can’t continue like this. A living zombie.

Her feet carry her away before she even stops herself. She passes by several mirrors and she looks like . The dark bags under her eyes a painful reminder of many restless nights, her lips pale and her cheeks sunken.

And most of all, she’s not wearing her precious fake eyelashes.

But she doesn’t stop, not when she’s bumped into a dustbin, the impact surely leaving a bruise on her hip. She doesn’t stop and turn back even as people start whispering behind her back at her, well, ty appearance.

She only stops after she pushes past a door, the sunlight warming her as she steps onto the rooftop.

This time however, she doesn’t grip the railings like last time. Jessica sinks to the ground, exhausted. She watches the sunset, it’s a fiery orange and a sad smile lingers on her lips.

“Hey.” It’s a soft whisper and Jessica knows who it is without even turning.

“Hey.”

Taeyeon sits besides her, lighting up. “Talk to me, please.”

Jessica looks at Taeyeon, her eyes red although no tears leak out. “What’s there to say?”

“Why are you…acting like this?” The older girl frowned in frustration. “I told you, he kissed me. That’s it. I would have explained myself if you weren’t screaming bloody murder.”

Jessica purses her lips and hesitates before she looks Taeyeon in the eyes. “You scare me.”

“I mean it is Halloween month and everything but st –“

Taeyeon’s silenced by a pair of lips claiming hers. She’s caught off guard, but Jessica’s tongue runs over her bottom lip and Taeyeon presses their bodies together, pushing Jessica onto her back, her hands cupping her face. 

They break away, eventually, when they become out of breath.

Taeyeon traces Jessica’s nose bridge with the tip of her nose. “You scare me too. The things I’d do for you. The places I’d go. I replay you in my mind all the time. I missed you.”

They kiss again, a little rougher this time, lesser reservations, Taeyeon hands roam Jessica’s exposed stomach, her shirt riding up. The pads of her thumb circling gently against the smooth milky skin.

“Taeyeon.” Jessica breathes out.

“Not here, don’t worry.” Taeyeon winks and Jessica immediately blushes. 

“I – We uh, I –“Jessica splutters. Her brain feels short-circuited; her nerves are sparking at the contact of their skin pressed against each other. She blushes. Vivid images fill her head and it takes all her control to push them away.

“You’re cute.” Taeyeon receives a frown and a glare, one that would make others shrink away in fear but this is Taeyeon, not an ‘other’ and no amount of menace can wipe the grin of Taeyeon’s face. “I’ve got to be careful now, you get jealous easily.”

“Easily?” Jessica snaps. “He was the life out of your face.”

She didn’t expect to react so violently, but it annoyed her. Taeyeon was hers.

“So were you.”

“Shut up.” Jessica tried to hide her blush but to no avail. “I ju – just like you a lot. I’ve been on my own for awhile… I don’t regret it but maybe it’s time I stop telling myself to make do with less. You’re going to mess me up. That scares me.”

Her lips tremble and her words come out shaky but it feels like a tremendous weight has been lifted of her. Jessica feels light…and happy. It’s been so long since she’s felt this way. Like seeing for the first time. Taeyeon doesn’t say anything, just looks at Jessica with an indescribable look. “That’s good. I like you too. A lot.”

 

Jessica’s awake which is rare. Jessica is rarely awake. She’s usually being awoken but rarely has she ever been awake on her own accord. It’s cold, her vision is still slightly blurry but she can make out the numbers on the thermostat. Their bodies are pressed against each other’s and it’s doing a good job of keeping them warm. Her hair spills over the pillow and her quiet breath is slow and Jessica smiles to herself.

They’re going to be late, but for once Jessica can’t be bothered. She wanted to stay here, under the covers, with Taeyeon.

 

****