And they live happily ever after

Heeyoung's Love Story

My name is Kang Heeyoung, age 21 years old and I'm getting married by this coming fall. I'm very excited and I'm very anxious too. Mainly because this is going to be my very first and last wedding I'm going to have. I'm a teacher who teaches ethics at Hanguk High School. I also a pianist teacher during the weekends. I met my husband when he was sending his daughter to my tuition. We fell, well, to be honest... He fell in love with me instantly.Because mainly, I'm not interested in him. But when he confessed that he liked me and would like to court me as soon as possible, I accepted it immediately without hesitation. Maybe I felt pity when I saw his daughter needed a mother figure. Now, here I am. Standing in front of the body-length mirror, wearing my very own wedding dress. It was my first try out for my wedding gown and I was quite nervous. Because I'm about to get married less than a month. I breath in and out before turning side ways, looking at my back. I thought it was pretty and simple yet elegant. The way my back was expose, showing off my figure that I had really worked very hard just to get it was just perfect.

 


 

I forced out a smile and quickly changed back to my clothes. I hung back at my wedding dress and took them in my hands as I walked out of the changing room. As I made my way to the register table, I saw a familiar figure. A figure so familiar that you would know just by a glance. I frowned so badly and made my steps even more quicker than usual. I reached out my hand and I was about to call him...

 


"Yah, Nam Woohyun! Where do you think you're going, huh?" An old lady's voice was heard and immediately, the man turned behind, to where the voice might came. "Sorry, mother in-law. I was lost." Then he smiled. My lips curled up into a smile by its own. Then he walked away and so as my smile was wiped away from my face. I quickly walked and saw no traces of that man. I was very sure that I saw Nam Woohyun. That man who made me realized that there was always destiny and hope even though the world was tough and hard to survive.


 

How I met that Nam Woohyun?


 

Well, we were complete strangers actually. We do not know each other's names, age or hobby. Maybe even existence! However, it all started when I was admitted to hospital after I was saved from drowning myself in my own bathtub. My parents rushed to the hospital after minutes finding me at my own very bathtub. I didn't knew that me, myself; Kang Heeyoung was able to do such horrible thing to myself. The doctors managed to pumped out the water from my lungs. I went into a deep sleep for four days and woke up on a sticky hospital smell. I always hated hospital scent. It somehow brings down my mood. I sat up and saw the patients around me. Some were wounded and hurt badly that they just laid on their bed, waiting for miracle to happen. Then I turned to my left and saw a boy, around my age. He was busy playing with his flip flop phone; playing some games maybe. I took a peek at the boy by pushing bit of the curtain so that I could see better. His sharp nose, his beautiful plump lips, more plumper than mine. His hair looked like someone had styled for him. And most importantly, how every of his features suits him just the why it is.


 

"...Excuse me...?"


 

I must've starred at him for quite sometime that he had noticed it and waved his hand infront of me. "...Are you... alright? Do you want me to call the doctor?" He said, and seems scared of my stare. I blinked couple of times before I shook my head vigorously from side to side. "No, no.. You don't have to.. You.. You.. " The boy chuckled at me and is it weird for me to actually liked his sweet chuckle? He closed his phone and pushed the curtain opened. He sat at the edge of his bed and looked at me. "I'm Woohyun.. Nam Woohyun. You look young. How old are you?" He asked and smiled, the skin at the sides of his mouth folded just nice. Is it an angel or what? Did I really died? I gulped and offered my hand. "The name is Kang Heeyoung. I'm 18 years old." The boy nodded. "I'm 18 too! Is this mean we are friends?! That's good!" He said and took my hand, shaking it. To be honest, I like this smile. It was sincere and ... it was just full of sincerity.

 


Just then a girl came into the ward and ran towards me, attacking me with a tight hug. "Yah, unnie! You sure know how to make people go heart attack!" JiHoon, my nerdy bestfriend said, still hugging me. I smiled and pushed her away gently. "I should've know you went through depression. Next time, please.. Please, don't hide anything from me. It hurts to see you being like this. Torturing yourself." JiHoon said and realized there was someone behind of her. Her face went red and cleared , before bowing at him. "Hi, Woohyun oppa." She greeted him and I was surprised to see my bestfriend knows this handsome stranger. "JiHoon-ah, do you know him?" I asked, still stunned. JiHoon turned to me with a silly face. She scratched her head and gave me a toothy smile. "Well, ... unnie don't know who is him?" JiHoon asked me back with a question. I shrugged with a puzzled expression. JiHoon sighed. "Aish, unnie. This is Nam Woohyun. He went to the same school as Sungyeol oppa."


 

Sungyeol.


 

Lee Sungyeol.

 


It is JiHoon's guy bestfriend, whom she secretly had a crush on him. Ever since she accidently bumped onto him on the first day of school. She described him as her prince who doesn't act like one. Sure, Sungyeol was tall and handsome. But what destroys his image was, his attitude. Lee Sungyeol is a very honest man and wouldn't hesitate to speak out. And he is and was a man who acts weirdly. He can't stay still for a minute. He spent his time putting all the plastics pieces into a figurative doll that would only collect dust. Same goes to JiHoon's hobby. I can't see any benefit from playing it. Anyway, Sungyeol transferred to another school and still kept in contact with JiHoon. Actually, she did told me once about Woohyun but just somehow, I don't recall it when Woohyun said his name to me.


 

"Ah, sorry.." JiHoon pouted and sat beside of me. "Anyway, I brought you some fruits!" She said and took out a bag of plastic. JiHoon must;ve been very busy that she couldn't wrapped the fruits nicely. But it would be just a waste if she wraps nicely and I rip it open. I gladly took it and JiHoon took out a bundle of papers and gave them to Woohyun. "Here, oppa. Ms Han wants to see it by this Friday. If you can't finish it, it's alright." Woohyun smiled and nodded. "Why.. Why did you gave him paper works?" I asked, completely confused. Woohyun chuckled so as JiHoon. "Well, he's been skipping school for a week so bringing him fruits will just make him like we pamper him too much. So, the papers comes in." I giggled and shook my head in disbelieved. "Woohyun oppa always get admits to hospital. He has weak immune system so he's prone to get 'under the weather' situation." I nodded with my mouth opened ajar. JiHoon took a look at her watch before she excused herself as she was late for her night classes.

 


Woohyun and I kept quiet, our bodies facing each other. His presence doesn't scare me at all. Eventhough I've always been paranoid when comes to strangers, yet his presence was just so warm. So familiar. ".. He-Here, have a slice." I offered but it's obviously the fruit I'm holding is not a slice, instead it was a one big fruit. "I'm fine. You should eat. They said a drowning victim should gain their strength back." Woohyun said, sounding so right yet not sure whether it is correct or not. "..And I heard people with low immune system should eat more fruits, especially when they kept admitted to hospital." I said back and threw the fruit at him. My estimate went wrong and accidently hit his forehead. He fell flat onto the bed and panic rushed to my body. I immediately went to him and see whether my hit was hard enough to make him lay flat at the bed. "Woohyun-ssi, are you alright? Oh my, I'm so sorry! I thought.. Oh my God, please don't die!" A sound of his warm laughter echoes my ears and Woohyun broke into a smile. "I'm not dead yet, Heeyoung-ssi.. I'm just being strike.." I frowned, but a tingling feeling made my lips curled up into a smile. A silly one. "..By you. Your presence."

 


That was the starting point of us; Woohyun and me started to get to know each other more deeply. We shared our secrets, our favourites, and our concerns. I told my concerns was mainly how I'm going to live in such society that is judgmental and cruel. He said,


 

"As long as you keep looking on your right and there's me, then you're fine."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"Really?!"

 


JiHoon's voice became everyone's attention right before Sungyeol closed . "Yah, please manners, young lady!" She pushed him away before I took a gulp of my soju, silently. "Are you sure, unnie? Because.. Faces like Nam Woohyun is very normal and can be found everywhere!" My face scrunched at the bitterness of the soju and slammed the small glass cup. "Yeah, Heeyoung. Maybe you saw the wrong person. You saw it with your own eyes than Woohyun got into that plane." Sungyeol said. Both of my friends, looking at me with a concern look. "...But what if, he came back and didn't told me?" JiHoon turned to Sungyeol and he did the same. Sungyeol then turned to me. "Heeyoung-ah, you see.. You're excited about your wedding and I'm sure you must've saw someone who looked just like Woohyun. You know he can't return back here to Korea, especially with the loan sharks are after him." Sungyeol is right. Woohyun couldn't come back due to his financial crisis with the loan sharks.

 


How it started?

 


It started when Woohyun's father's business went bankrupt and he had to borrow some money from three different loan sharks. But unfortunately, his business went from bad to worst. Woohyun rarely came to school as he had to work part-time to support his family. Slowly, Woohyun stopped coming from school and worked at bars, becoming a guest entertainer to all those rich housewives that are cheating at their husband's backs. But Woohyun's healthy condition had gotten worst. He gotten sick so many times and still goes to work eventhough he had a fever.


 

Once day, he passed out while working and JiHoon called me to meet at Sungyeol's house. When I reached there, I saw him lying down on Sungyeol's couch, at the living room. I was about to approached him but JiHoon managed to get me on time. "Unnie, don't..."


 

I could only look at him, lying down, lifeless. Broken dreams and everything.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"How's your preparation for your upcoming wedding, Heeyoung-ah?" My mother asked. I nervously placed my cup on the sorcerer and to the table. "Just fine.." She walked into the living room with her animal fur scarf around her neck. You see, my mother has always been wearing things like this. Mainly because she was and still is a trot singer who marries thrice. She's well-known for being the Elizabeth Taylor, the Korean version. Her make-up is always thick and I, as her daughter never seen her bare face before. Weird? Yes, indeed it is very weird. My mother never always at home. She would be performing at people's weddings, shooting commercial films and acting. So, my mother and I are never that close. No matter how I tried to be close to her, she always seems distance. It feels like staying with a celebrity instead of a mother.


 

She took a seat infront of me and crossed her legs. "Dear, do you need.." "Eomonim.." Mrs Kang sighed and looked at me, her daughter. "Yes, dear?" I was hesitant to tell her that I met Woohyun. People kept saying it is not Woohyun but Seoul is not that big. I'm sure they must've seen him. "...I... I saw Woohyun. Nam Woohyun yesterday while I was trying out my wedding dress." I saw my mother's expression changed and immediately, I knew she wasn't fond of me seeing Woohyun. I never knew why she hated me seeing Woohyun. Especially when we were together last time. "Well, really? ..." She smiled nervously and I was worried why she was acting like this. "..Ho-How is he?" I sighed and shrugged. ".. Who knows? I only saw him, I didn't get to speak to him." My mother nodded. "Anyway, you should stay away from him. You're getting married and people might get wrong perceptive about you seeing another man." I frowned because what she said was ridiculous. "Eomonim, why are you talking like that? It's not like I went to a cafe and talk to him. I just saw him, alright?" I scoffed as my mother stayed silent. ".. If this is because you hate him, then don't worry! I won't make an eye contact with him! Satisfied?!"

 


I got up and grabbed my bag, running out from the nest of hers. Once I was out, tears in my eyes just fell down to my cheeks. It's just very sad to see people around me, not fond with me being around with Woohyun. All people saw in Woohyun are lies. What I see in him is true. He's not a troublemaker or a thief. He's just someone needs love and attention. And I gave him that.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Unnie, do you think Sungyeol oppa will like this if I wear this? I mean, it's too revealing at the cleavage part, though." JiHoon said as she was looking at herself in the mirror, with her dress against her body. I sighed and shrugged. "I don't know. If you like it, why don't you wear it?" I said and she turned to him. "..You know, unnie? I'm so envy of you." She said with a pout and took a seat beside of me. "Why is it?" I turned to her, uninterested. "Well, you get to marry a wealthy man who already has a child. You basically achieve every girl's dream." She said and I wish to say she was wrong. Because, it may be other girl's dreams but not mine. Heeyoung's dreams is to be married to Nam Woohyun.

 


Nam Woohyun.

 


That name kept popping out from my mind ever since I saw him at the wedding store. It's hard for me to concentrate in my work and I hate myself for being like this.


 

"Aish, don't wear that! It's too revealing!"

 


My eyes opened wide when I heard that familiar voice. I stood up and JiHoon was shocked. "Why is it, unnie?" She asked me but I ignored her question and turned around. I saw him!

 


I saw him!

 


I saw Nam Woohyun.

 


Standing right before my eyes.

 


With a girl cling onto his arms.

 


My chest got heavier and I felt like fainting.


 

JiHoon stood up and her eyes widen too, I guess. "Omo!" She shouted aloud and the the couple turned to us. Those warm eyes gazed onto mine slowly. I felt like time has stopped and I could only reached out to touch his face.


 

"Hi... Do I know you?" The girl beside of him asked us but the both us was frozen. We couldn't even utter a word. "Hello?" She said before dragging Woohyun away. I grabbed my purse and immediately chase after them. "Woohyun-ssi.." I called him out once we got out from the store. I managed to grabbed his hand. His warm hand. The girl turned to me. "What's wrong with you, miss? Do you know my fiance?" A sudden pain struck my heart.


 

Fiance?

 


"...I.." He stared at me, not even uttering a word. Please talk, Woohyun. I know you know me. That's the words I wanted to say to him but I just couldn't say anything. It as if my heart and my brain couldn't function together. Just then, JiHoon came out from the store and grabbed my wrist. "I'm sorry, miss. My friend is just having a rough day. I'm sorry." She said and pulled me away, breaking my hands away from him. "I'm sorry." JiHoon said and we both walked different paths. Once we were reached the zebra crossing, I shoved JiHoon's hands away. "Why..?" I said, looking at the ground. I know I'm being dramatic but I can't help to be that way. Because I'm feeling hurt right now. And the last thing I want is to scold JiHoon.


 

I turned to her with a teary eyes.

 


"Why, why, why?!!!" I shouted at her as I continued to hit her with my purse. "Ya-Yah, unnie!" She managed to grabbed my both hands and made me look at her. "Woohyun is getting married! You heard it yourself! Stop it, alright?! He's your past and don't go back, unnie! Please, for your own good!" JiHoon pleaded but I ignored it straight ahead. "For my own good?! You mean for everyone's good! When did everyone do for my own good, huh?!" My words must've stunned JiHoon so much and this is the first time, I ever hurt her. With my owns and my thoughtless actions. JiHoon let go of me and tried to laughed it off but she was speechless. "...You mean.. All this time, I did nothing for you, unnie? Nothing? You mean, saving you from hurting  your own self is nothing? You mean, the countless text messages I sent to you before going to sleep is worthless? Nothing?" She nodded and sniffed.

 

Her tears dropped onto her cheeks. She quickly wiped them and nodded again. "Fine, if that's what you think it is. Then, it's nothing. Because you what? ... Ugh, whatever."


 

With that, JiHoon left me by the roadside.


 

Alone.


 

And in sadness.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I stopped once I saw a bench by the padestrian. I sat down and took out my heels. My legs were badly bruised as this is my first time ever going out this long with heels. I placed my shoes aside and tucked my strands of hair behind my ear. The wind tonight was so cold and it just added to my sadness. I looked up at the dark sky and sighed. "One star for me, one star for you. Two stars for me, two stars for you..." I sniffed and tried to gulped down my sadness. "..Three stars for me,.." "Three stars for you." I turned and saw him.

 


Standing infront of me.

 


My breathing went unsteady and I immediately stood up but my legs gave in, causing me to stumble against him. He caught me and our eyes fixed onto each other. Just like we used to.


 

"Ar-Are you alright,.. Heeyoung?" He asked and I pushed myself away from him. "Ye-Yes. I'm fine." I said softly and tried to stand on my own. "You don't look so fine to me, Heeyoung." Woohyun looked down and saw my bruised feet. I quickly hid one leg behind the other one. "I-I'm fine. Really." I said and looked away, shyly. For three years we didn't met for each other and this is how I present myself to him. Being fragile and stained tears cheeks. He suddenly his back and kneeled. "Here, get on my back. I'll carry you to the nearby convinient store." Woohyun said. I was stunned. It felt like being 18 years old again. Woohyun turned his head to me, frowning. "What are you waiting for? Just come." I exhaled unsteadily and went behind his back. Slowly, his warm hands wrapped around my expose thigh and carried me behind his back. Swiftly, he stood up and made sure my underwear wasn't expose too.


 

His cologne immediately strike my nose buds and made my heart beat increases. "How are you, Heeyoung?" He asked, breaking the awkward silence ever since he carried me. "..I'm fine." I answered, leaning my face against his back. "..How about you?" I asked back, nervously. I heard him chuckle. Those chuckles. I miss it. "..I wouldn't say I'm fine but I'm doing just good." Woohyun said and we kept quiet again. It was indeed awkward and somehow, it also comforts me. My wounded heart. "You still remember the star lullaby?" I smiled and nodded. "Yes. I still remember. I always sing it before I go to bed." I replied, closing my eyes, inhaling more of his cologne. "Really? Well, i do it too, every night."


 

How that lullaby came about? It all started when we went out for a late date and we picnic beside the infamous Han River. Woohyun insisted me to go for the date, saying that Han River looks beautiful at night. See, I rarely went out during the night but Woohyun took me and made me realized that Seoul was breathtaking during the night.

 


I lay on his arms as we were star gazing. "Do you see that shining star over there?" He asked, pointing at the millions of the stars at the sky, that was shining brightly. "There's so many bright shining stars, Woohyun." I said and Woohyun chuckled. "No, I meant by you." There goes his greasy words. I blushed at those words and cringed at them too. "..Anyway, my mother used to sung it for me every night before she sends me to bed. Instead of reading book, she sings songs for me to make me fall asleep." Woohyun stated and pointed himself. "She goes, 'one star for me,..." Then he points at me. " ... one star for you. Two stars for me, two stars for you..' " He said and turned to me. "..Then she would do this." Woohyun leaned in so quick and planted a soft kiss on my lips. "I love you, Heeyoung. Please be my star during the night, and please be my sun during the day."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Here, all better." Woohyun said once he bandages all of my bruise on my feet. ".. Who is that girl?... The one from earlier this morning?" I asked, bravely. Woohyun sighed and stood up. "She's my fiance." I nodded and he sat beside of me. "... I heard you're getting married too, right? A wealthy man with a kid?" I kept quiet and so as Woohyun. "...Did... Did all your debts paid off?" I turned to look at him and he nodded. "..How.. How did you met her? Your fiance?" This time, it was his turn to look at me. "...It's part of my debts. Marrying her." My eyes widen. "Re-Really?" Woohyun chuckled weakly, tapping the plastic table.


 

"... She fell inlove with me and as part of the deal, his father, the loan shark marries me off with her." Woohyun said, bitting his lower lip. I grabbed his hand and he looked at me. Our eyes gaze into each other as I couldn't say those words. That three words. But instead, I said, "Congratulations, Nam Woohyun." I stood up but he grabbed mine this time. With warmth. "I want.. I know I can't find a correct words to say this but if I do, will you..

 


... love me just the way you and me used to?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


I looked at myself in the mirror.

 


Myself in a wedding gown.

 


But not with the groom I love.

 


JiHoon entered the bride room as we did not speak to each other. I turned to her and I was about to open my mouth but JiHoon beat me first, "Are you ready? The ceremony is starting.." She said and took the bouquet of flower, passing it to me. I took it without any words being uttered. She tried to avoid eye contact with me and walked out of the room first. I took a last glance at myself before going out of the room. Getting ready to be married.

 


I reached the entrance of the door and saw JiHoon walking at the aisle with hand in hand with Sungyeol. I gulped once the song went . I made my first step and everyone stood up. I held my flower tightly and my breathing just kept going harder and harder. At the end of the aisle, I saw my soon-to-be husband standing with his tuxedo, smiling brightly while me, I felt like I'm being strangle.

 


Once I reached at the end of the aisle, I looked behind at the entrance of the church. There was no sign of him. My heart sank and deep down, I gave up, waiting for him. Maybe this is the end of my life. Getting married and waiting to be killed or dead.

 


".. Heeyoung-ssi?" The man called me. "Ye-Yes?" I answered and he smiled. As if he knew something, he pulled the veil over my face and held my hands. "Go. Go and find your happiness." He said and I was confused. The crowd seems confused too as I heard more murmuring. I looked at him, trying to see whether he was kidding me.

 


"You heard him, unnie. Go and find Woohyun." I heard JiHoon said. I turned to her and saw both Sungyeol and JiHoon smiling at me. I turned back to him. He nodded and I turned back to my bestfriends. "Thank you very much, JiHoon, Sungyeol." I said and grabbed the hem of my wedding dress as I ran down the aisle. "He's at Gangnam, unnie! Gangnam's Cheon Hotel!" I heard JiHoon shouted. I smiled in happiness as I continued to run in my wedding dress. Once I reached outside of the church, I halt for a taxi. When I managed to get a taxi, I was stuck at the traffic jam. "Ahjusshi, is there any route to Cheon Hotel?" I asked, panicking little. "Sorry, miss. This is the only way but if you want to walk, it might be a fuss." He said. I sighed and thought maybe I should just run from here to the hotel. "I'm sorry, ahjusshi. I'll walk from here." I said and got out from the taxi.


 

Me, running in the wedding dress must've took everyone by surprise as I ran in between the cars. I didn't even care because I'm going to get my love, my Nam Woohyun no matter what.

 


My heels crack and was broken when I reached the building of the hotel, causing me to twisted my ankle. But my adrenaline just kept pumping and I still ran into the hotel. I went to the counter, asking for Woohyun's wedding hall. They pointed at Hall B and I took the lift. My heart kept pumping, as I was so scared, so ashamed, so nervous and all these mixed emotions just caught up with me. Once I reached the floor, I ran out and immediately pushed opened the door of Hall B. My presence shocked everyone.

 


Everyone was shocked and quiet at the same time.

 


There, I saw Woohyun standing side by side with the girl.

 


"Woohyun... Nam Woohyun, please don't marry her. Please. I'm sorry for everything. I'm sorry for not being there when you needed me the most. I've always been waiting for you and I think its time for me to chase after you. I'm sorry for not saying I love you. I'm sorry for being such a to you. Please, Woohyun. I ran out from my own wedding just so I can marry you. I even crack my shoes and injured my ankle. Please make my effort to come here worthy. I love you, Nam Woohyun!" I shouted and collapsed onto the carpeted floor. I cried.

 


For the first time, I cried infront of everyone. I sobbed so loudly that it makes me look bad.

 


".. And I love you too, Kang Heeyoung. And please stop crying. You look ugly." Woohyun's voice didn't calmed me down at all, as I kept sobbing. He held my hands and put a ring over my ring finger. "There, it fits you just right." He said and held my chin. "You're my wife now, Kang Heeyoung. You're mine." I continued to sobbed and he pulled me into a hug as everyone in the hall clapped. Woohyun held me up and gently leaned in for a kiss. A kiss that I 've been waiting for my entire life. To be kissed by Nam Woohyun. I'm just glad that chase after him, Nam Woohyun, who is now my husband and father of 4 weeks old.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Because the moral of the story that I learn from mine is that don't always wait for the one, chase after the one because by the end, it's always worthy.