Trouble

Trouble

 

The cool breeze slapped Jimin in the face, as though it was waking him up to reality. The bus seemed ever closer while the butterflies in Jimin’s stomach tumbled faster and faster. It was his first day at Korea National University of Arts and it made him wonder if he would make any new friends as he left his previous friends behind, although they did stay in contact. He hoped he could because he didn’t want to stick out as the loner of their year. Besides, that would be degrading him totally because he was awarded the title of ‘Social Bumblebee’ at his old high school. He was sure that he could have at least one friend, who knew him inside and out, that would be sure to comply with sleepovers that would end in them having pillow fights, singing (maybe rapping) and wrapping the night up by cuddling and using each other’s warmth to slumber peacefully. Although it may sound terribly gay, it made Jimin happy. If they didn’t agree, however, they would face the wrath of Jimin that came through as the most adorable puppy dog face that he could muster. It was one of those things that you just couldn’t bring yourself to say no to.

The bus screeched. Jimin made his way, slowly, to the bus. As he stepped in, he tapped his bus card and sat next to a person wearing the same uniform as him. One would only expect them to attend the same school. Jimin didn’t want to seem intrusive or weird so he observed the sleepy male next to him, in a way that wasn’t slightly creepy. He was only curious. Upon closer inspection, the student seemed to have a loose grip on his phone, with one earphone in while the other lazed around on his torso. His bag was placed between his legs and he seemed to be slouching backwards into his seat, eyes closed peacefully with the soft breaths that he took. His head was slightly tilted to the right, facing the window. There wasn’t anything particularly interesting about him but something drew Jimin’s attention to him. Maybe it was the messy hair, or maybe it was cat eyes. Jimin didn’t know what it was but he could see himself with the boy next him, hanging out and being great friends. It was perhaps the fact that none of his other friends seemed to be this… lazy. Most of them were outgoing and fun, like Jimin himself but this guy seemed to be a bit laid back. A bit calm in a sense, not that it mattered. Jimin realised that he had been staring at this stranger for way too long when he saw that he glared back. The glare was so strong, it was almost if he was pissed about Jimin staring at him and waking him up from his peaceful rest.

“The are you staring at?” The stranger spat. Well, wasn’t someone nice? Now that he thought of it, he seemed to be like one of those cold guys that only cared about and money. Or he could be one of those antisocial guys who get pissed off for people talking to them. Nah. He ruled out the latter option. He definitely appeared to be the former. Noticing Jimin staring even more, the stranger looked even more unimpressed. “Look. I ing asked you a question. Are you deaf or just plain dumb? Stop ing staring at my face like it’s the most incredible thing you’ve ever seen.”

Jimin shook his head. “Wow. How rude. I thought you were actually nice. It seems we go to the same school so I thought I could acquaint with you but I guess you can continue acting like you’ve got a damn chopstick shoved up your arse.” He didn’t understand what the guy’s problem was. Was looking at people a crime? That would result in everyone going to prison then. But there was STILL something that drew Jimin in and he found himself wanting to be friends with the other, even with the horrendous attitude. It dawned on Jimin that the fact that they were polar opposites was what perked his interest in the other.

The male scoffed. “Feisty. We got a badass over here. Watch your mouth though. Quite the sight you are, looking innocent but acting all sassy.” Jimin didn’t know whether he should be feel complimented or insulted. What was this guy doing here, acting all mighty? Did he think he ruled the world? As if. Jimin was about to retort when the other sighed and turned his head back to the window, like the window and everything outside was more interesting than his conversation with Jimin.

Jimin fumbled with the zips on his backpack, not knowing what to do to erase the awkward tension between them. “Um… I’m Jimin. Park Jimin. I’m a first year.” He glanced over to the man slightly smirking which sharpened his features. He wondered what part of him introducing himself was amusing. The stranger’s actions made Jimin more curious about him. He seemed a bit rebellious like the type that would be wagging classes and dealing drugs. Who knows, it could all just be a façade.
“First year, huh? No wonder I didn’t recognise you.” The man said, with a raspy voice. “I’m Yoongi. Min Yoongi, third year,” he imitated Jimin, “but call me Suga.” Yoongi turned his attention to the window again. Jimin almost gave up. Yoongi just wouldn’t seem to converse with Jimin, no matter how hard he tried but that would be his challenge. To make Yoongi his friend.

It was the first time Jimin had trouble with making a friend. Normally, conversations would just flow like a streaming river, jumping from shared interests to jokes. There would be no end to them. In fact, it was hard stopping the conversation as they soon became acquainted. But with Yoongi, it turned out to be a whole different story. Jimin tried his best but Yoongi wouldn’t budge.

The bus halted in front of a stop close to his school, shaking both Jimin and Yoongi awake. Yoongi stood up first, chucking his bag over his shoulder and sluggishly making his way out. Jimin followed suit and tapped his card again before he walked out, thanking the driver on the way. As the bus moved by, he saw a tremendous building. It seemed even bigger than when he came here during the holidays. The gold walls looked to go higher with each storey. The greenery surrounding the building made it picturesque, a scene to behold. Turning his head sideways, he noticed Yoongi looking at him with an entertained look adorning his face. “Do you know where to go? Don’t wanna be late for your first class, do ya?” Yoongi queried. “I’ll drop you off to the office but that’s only because you’re such a pain in the .”

Jimin grinned, emphasising his eye smile. It seemed as though Yoongi slowly fell for it too, like the many other unsuspecting victims and found himself having the same feelings as JImin. “I don’t but thanks, Suga.”


Little did they know it only progressed from there.