Town library

Nam TaeHyun's Notebook

CHAPTER 1: Town library

What would you do if you found an old notebook in the library?


 

Kang Joohyun was searching for books in the library when an old notebook caught her attention. It was placed in the end of the shelf, it was rusty but the words written were still clear and Joohyun can’t help but check what the notebook was about. Joohyun was a bookworm and since it’s July, almost the start of a new school year, she went to the library to borrow books she could read during vacant periods. Joohyun quietly took the notebook and sat at one of the tables. She removed the dust covering the notebook and opened it to see a neat handwriting by a man named Nam Taehyun.

 

“May 10, 1954,

To whoever you are,” it read. No wonder the book was covered with dust, it has been in the library since 1954 or so. Joohyun looked at the back page of the notebook to check if it has a borrowing card but nothing was there so Joohyun assumed that the owner of the notebook might have slipped it in the end of the shelf. Why? Joohyun doesn’t know and it’s something she wants to find out.

 

I’m Nam TaeHyun, the owner of this notebook and I just want to tell you that this notebook is precious to me, too precious I almost regret putting it secretly on one of the shelves. I know you’re curious on why I left it in the library… well, I want someone to read it. Someone I don’t know and maybe, just maybe it will inspire that person to not lose hope in finding the one they’re willing to spend forever with.

I’m not forcing you to read and take this notebook with you but if you ever take it with you, please take good care of it. I wrote in this notebook the memories that I wouldn’t want to forget, the memories I would want to relive over and over again. So please, if you aren’t going to read it, leave it. But if you do, thank you that would mean a lot.

If you’re curious on what this notebook is about, I’ll give you a brief summary. I never liked writing on journals although I do like writing songs but when I met her, the love of my life, I realized I would want to write down the memories I had with her so if ever I wouldn’t be her forever, at least I can relive the memories maybe not in pictures but in words.

You might be thinking that I’m crazy because I made this notebook to relive memories but now I’m leaving it in the library. Well, what do you know? I think I’ve reached the end of my life and one of these days I might die. Who knows? Also, not all love stories have a happy ending. Maybe in this notebook you’ll realize what the true meaning of love is. Does it have to have a happy ending? Or not? I don’t know, it’s up to you.

I hope you’ll learn a lot from this notebook, from my story. I hope you’ll enjoy reading it and one day I know you’ll meet the one.

-Nam TaeHyun.”

 

When Joohyun finished reading the first page of the notebook, she was torn between taking it home or leaving it where it was supposed to be but she figured it can count as stealing because even though the notebook doesn’t really belong in the library, it still belongs to someone else. She was about to put the notebook back on the shelf when her phone suddenly rang causing everyone in the library to turn their attention to her and Joohyun whispered a quick ‘sorry’ before answering her phone.

“Yoboseyo…” She whispered.

Yah! Where are you? I thought we agreed to meet at three in the afternoon!” The person on the end of the line exclaimed. Joohyun separated the phone from her ear, Iseul, her best friend was the person on the end and she can be extremely loud at times.

I’ve been waiting for you for 10 minutes already!” Iseul added. They were supposed to meet up at three in the afternoon, Joohyun looked at her watch to see that it was 3:15 already.

“Sorry, I went to the town library. Don’t worry, I’m on my way.” Joohyun replied.

Well you better be. We—“Joohyun didn’t let Iseul finish, she ended the call and quickly gathered her belongings before going out of the library.

It was a sunny afternoon and even though it was a bit hot, Joohyun immediately went brisk walking on the way to the park because an irritated Iseul isn’t really a pleasant sight to see. When Joohyun arrived at the park, a lot of kids were already playing and she immediately spotted Iseul sitting at one of the benches, arms crossed and she looks pissed.

“Hey.” Joohyun said and Iseul glared at her.

“What? At least I came.” She defended and Iseul rolled her eyes. Iseul had been Joohyun’s best friend ever since middle school and they never really separated ways even now that they’re in college although they don’t specialize in the same field, Iseul is taking up Music & Arts while Joohyun is taking up Journalism.

Joohyun never really engaged herself in musical instruments or any of the sort, she doesn’t sing and she doesn’t really dance either but she likes listening to music. It’s something she does whenever she writes for a school paper or when she’s studying for an exam. Music isn’t her forte but writing is.

Joohyun agreed to go with Iseul on her violin practice. You see, Iseul had been playing the violin ever since she was young and it’s something Joohyun admires because Iseul really puts her all just to perform on stage with her violin. Iseul recently joined a violin competition that’s why she has to practice, Joohyun doesn’t really get it but she decided to tag along. It’s always nice to be able to support a best friend.

“Okay, I’m sorry. I promise I wouldn’t be late anymore. And for your information, you were also late when I had to pass my paper for that Journalism competition you forced me to join.” Joohyun stated. Remembering that one time that she had to go to the competition alone because the person who forced her to go was an hour late.

“Fine, I forgive you. Now let’s go.” Iseul said and they started walking on the way to the town theater. When they got there, Iseul walked inside the theater while Joohyun waited outside. She was staring off into space when someone called her attention.

“Joohyun noona!” Joohyun turned around to see Donghyuk walking on her way, she smiled and waved at him.

“What’s up?” Joohyun asked.

“Oh I was just wondering if I could borrow you’re mythology book? You know, the one you always bring wherever you go.” Donhyuk said. Donghyuk was a junior who goes to the same college as hers and he’s usually known as the school’s geek but once he enters the dancefloor, he can be a different person by how great his dance moves are.

“Okay, let me check if I brought it.” Joohyun said and she immediately rummaged her bag in search for her mythology book but she found the old notebook instead. Joohyun’s eyes widen upon the realization that she might have switched the two books together or she might have left her mythology book in the library or at home.

“Sorry, I think I left it in the library or at home. I’m not sure.” She said and Donghyuk pouted.

“Don’t worry, I’ll let you borrow it once I’ve found it.” Joohyun said, giggling. Donghyuk was a junior she really adores so she couldn’t really decline everything the said male asks or tells her, she treats Donghyuk as her younger brother.

“Okay, well see you when I see you noona.” Donghyuk said, Joohyun smiled and when Donghyuk was already out of her sight she immediately took the old notebook out of her bag.

“Hey, violin practice had been canceled—what’s that?” Iseul asked while pointing at the old notebook Joohyun was holding.

“Uh… a notebook?” Joohyun said and Isuel rolled her eyes.

“Of course I know that that’s a notebook. What I meant was, where did you get that?” Iseul asked.

“I got it from the library, I think I might have switched it with my mythology book when I was in a hurry to go out.” Joohyun explained. Iseul suddenly took the notebook from Joohyun’s hands and examined it. Joohyun tried to get the notebook from Iseul’s grip but Iseul was too tall so she hadn’t had the chance to get it.

“You know what, since you’re practice was cancelled let’s go back to the library and return that notebook back and look for my mythology book.” Joohyun stated. Iseul was still busy examining the notebook and Joohyun rolled her eyes. Since when did she became interested in books? Joohyun thought.

“Are you sure you want to return it? Because it has your name on it.” Iseul said and Joohyun grabbed the notebook from Iseul to check what it was.

Kang Joohyun. She’s the epitome of beauty…” Joohyun read. “Well at least in my eyes.” She continued.

“It’s just a coincidence okay? And this was written like I don’t know 30 or 40 years ago?” Joohyun said. Iseul took the notebook again and scanned through the pages.

“Well, what if it’s really for you? And what if you find the one through this notebook?” Iseul asked and Joohyun rolled her eyes.

“What? Don’t you believe in fate or destiny?” Iseul asked and she suddenly had that dreamy look on her face and Joohyun groaned.

“Let’s just go to the library.” Joohyun said but Iseul stopped her.

“Not until you promise me that you aren’t going to return this notebook back in the library.” Iseul said. Joohyun thought about it. The notebook did piqued her curiosity and the first message on the first page of the notebook already drawn her attention into wanting to read more but she doesn’t really want to hope with the whole ‘maybe you’ll find the one with this notebook’ thing Iseul was trying to say.

“Fine.” Joohyun said and Iseul did her mini victory dance before returning back the notebook to Joohyun. They went back to the library that afternoon but Joohyun couldn’t find her mythology book, when she got home she quickly searched for it in her bedroom but she couldn’t find it. Joohyun even asked her mom if she’d seen it but no such luck, her mythology book was missing.

 


Comment, subscribe, upvote!