Chapter 1

Angel

The wind blew suddenly and her hair flies around making it messier. Byun Baekhyun curse under her breath as she pulls her recently dyed purple hair into a messy bun and let out a sigh of anxiousness when she close the window of the train. This thing she’s doing is making her far more anxious than her first college entrance exam. Coming back is a risk. Going home to where she grew up and lived for 18 years was something she doesn’t want to do. Baekhyun swore not to come back seven years ago.

 

But the news she got three days ago had her bought  a train ticket to Busan later. Now she’s on the way back home.

 

Baekhyun feels restless, knowing the risk of meeting them is 99% as the people in her hometown knows each other for a long time now. She knows they want to see her back. Baekhyun too had hard times that had her thinking of coming back. However the memories of getting betrayed had her held her wish. She misses her home, her room that she used to live for so long, the trees, the ajhummas she always see and her favourite spot under the tree. She misses her.

 

But Baekhyun doesn’t dare coming home.

 

There were times where Baekhyun wonders how they are doing now? Are they happy together now that they had break her heart? Or are they having a hard time for hurting her?

 

She shook the thought out of her head. “Don’t think about them Baekhyun-ah. You’re fine now. Nothing can stop you”

 

Despite what she says to herself, Baekhyun knows it’s a lie.

 


 

She woke up two hours later and they’ve reach Busan. Groggily Baekhyun stood up and reach for her bags and pull it behind her. The temperature was perfect, it wasn’t too hot nor was it too cold. Autumn is here and winter is approaching in a month or so and all Baekhyun knows is she wants to spend a good autumn. She follows the crowd out of the station and got into an already awaiting bus. Her hometown wasn’t quite far. It was around half an hour later and Baekhyun feels excitement building up in her chest.

 

She watch as other passenger came up on the bus. There were passenger of many age, an old man with his aging wife, a couple who look like they were married for years but doesn’t look like one, a mother with her son and a boy. Two girls, school girls seems like it came bounding up the stairs of the bus with their arms link with each other and the smile on her face soon falter just slightly. The sight of the two girls as they sit nearby and giggling like schoolgirls brought memories back into Baekhyun’s mind.

 

 It was fresh just like it happen yesterday yet it’s been years.

 

 

“Kyungsoo-ya!”

 

The small wide eyes girl look out the window to see her best friend running while waving her arms as if to catch her attention. As if her eyes could widen even more, Kyungsoo immediately stood up despite the moving bus and shout “Ajhusshi! Please stop the bus!” Mr. Kim who is also the bus driver who also happens to be used to these kind of things stop the bus. Kyungsoo sigh in relief as the bus door open and a panting Baekhyun climb in. She smiles gratefully at the old man “Thank you ajhusshi”

 

The old man just shook her head at her antic.

 

Baekhyun skips her way towards Kyungsoo, her school skirt floating around her thigh as she skips and Kyungsoo could practically see the boys in the bus ogling for a glimpse of her . The girl shakes her head at her friend’s flirt like attitude but knows that isn’t the real Byun Baekhyun. Sitting back on her own place, Kyungsoo look at Baekhyun with her arms crossed against her chest.

 

“Baekhyun-“

 

“Kyungso, my baby girl” Baekhyun envelope Kyungsoo into a bone crushing hug and Kyungsoo knows this is one ways of her to diverge the topic. But they both fairly know that Kyungsoo could never get mad, ever. Stupid Byun Baekhyun and her stupid act, Kyungsoo curse in her mind but that’s the charms that Baekhyun owns. They comfortably sat side by side and Baekhyun latch her arms with Kyungsoo’s.

 

“Umma says that she wants me to meet someone tonight”

 

Baekhyun says and Kyungsoo notice the tinge of sadness in her voice. “Really?” she replies with little effort and Baekhyun nods, leaning against Kyungsoo’s shoulder. “Yeah. I think it’s her boyfriend, Mr. Jung Yunho. You know, our math teacher” the shorter one laugh at that and Baekhyun starts giggling too. “I think it would be weird if Mr. Jung becomes my father. That’ll be so awkward”

 

“And considering the fact that you hate Jung Sooyeon’s guts” Kyungsoo snorts and Baekhyun laughs without any feeling of embarrassed. Her laugh however turn a few head but they both took no notice of it. “Jung Sooyeon hates me because Kim Joonmyun has a crush on me” Baekhyun states and Kyungsoo’s smile turns slightly weird almost as if they were taunting Baekhyun. “So, do you have a crush on my ex-boyfriend?”

 

“Listen to what you’re saying baby Soo! Kim Joonmyun is like the biggest nerd ever. I don’t date nerds like him. I date jocks” the other retorts and Kyungsoo sighs wistfully. What Baekhyun said was true however. She had dated the Choi brothers, Siwon and Minho, Lee Donghae, Shim Changmin and Eric Kim and they all are the popular ones at school. Kyungsoo however used to date Kim Joonmyun and Zhang Yixing, who were practically a nobody at school. How Jung Sooyeon garners a crush on Kim Joonmyun was a mystery.

 

“But really, don’t you have anyone that you would like to date now?”

 

Baekhyun leans back beside Kyungsoo and a soft smile came upon her face. Kyungsoo stares at her friend looking so calm and far more beautiful than ever that it struck her that this is why she can never become like Byun Baekhyun. She has her own charm that attracts other people, and sad as it was a fact, Kyungsoo doesn’t have it.

 

“Yeah, I do have someone in mind. But I want this one to last forever”

 

That was a first time Kyungsoo heard that and she look mildly surprise. “Really? Wow, you must be so smitten” Baekhyun’s cheeks heated up and she push Kyungsoo’s shoulder just slightly. “I like him. But I won’t tell you who is it - yet. But there is one thing I know”

 

Kyungsoo raise an eyebrow. “What is it?”

 

“Baekhyun and Kyungsoo. We last forever”

 

 

“Can I sit here?” A deep voice ask from the side and Baekhyun looks up to see a young man standing beside the seat. He had a jet black hair sticking out possibly everywhere like he just woke up from sleep and sleepy yet charming eyes. His skin fairly pretty and his jaws were perfectly made and Baekhyun thinks he’s a very attractive man. He could be a model, Baekhyun thinks, especially with that kind of height. Slowly Baekhyun nod and he grins, making him look less attractive but more approachable. He places his bags and sits beside Baekhyun comfortably.

 

“I’m Chanyeol by the way” he says extending his hand out and Baekhyun stares at it for a good three minutes before taking it. “Baekhyun. Byun Baekhyun” Chanyeol smiles and lean back against his chair as he says, “So Baekhyun, what are you doing here in Busan?” Baekhyun raise an eyebrow at that but comments nothing. “My sister is getting married this week” she answered and Chanyeol’s grin widen even more. “Really? My friend is getting married this week too. Say, is your sister Soojung?” 

 

Her eyes widen at that.

 

“Yes! Your friend is Kim Jihoon then” she says as if she doesn’t believe it and Chanyeol chuckles handsomely with a nod.

 

“Obviously he’s my friend. Guess this is fate playing us. We are meant to meet each other” his remark had Baekhyun blushing. She says nothing at that as she turns to the window and look out. The rest of the journey was quiet and if Chanyeol notice it, he says nothing. When they arrive at their destination, Chanyeol had pulls her by the forearms to stop her from walking off.

 

“I meant what I said just now Bakhyun-shii” he says and Baekhyun blush even more and look away not wanting Chanyeol to see her embarrassment. “Do you think we could keep in touch?”

 

In the end, Baekhyun hands Chanyeol’s phone with her number in it.  


 

 

Kyungsoo was sitting in her room doing her homework when her phone rang suddenly. She scramble onto the bed where her phone was placed and answered as if her life depends on it just because she doesn’t want anyone to be disturbed. It was Baekhyun and Kyungsoo knows she should expect it. Who calls someone at midnight? Only someone as crazy as Baekhyun would. Kyungsoo had the urge to turn down the call but knows it must be important if Baekhyun calls her at this time of the night- or not.

 

“Hello Baek-“

 

There was soft sniffling from the other side and Kyungsoo stop midway. Her mind race around trying to think if this was true. Is Baekhyun crying? “Baek?” she calls and there was some soft sniffling and few shuffling before Baekhyun’s voice croaked out “Soo” that had Kyungsoo panic almost immediately. “Baek! What’s wrong? Did something happen? Why are you crying?” In Kyungsoo’s life, there was only one time when she saw her best friend cry and that was on the day her parents had the divorce.

 

Baekhyun is a strong girl that wouldn’t cry just for petty breakups or small incident.

 

“Can you come to me? I’m at the park and I don’t think I want to go home right now” Kyungsoo inhales sharply at her friend’s request. Going out to meet Baekhyun would mean sneaking out of the house without her parent’s approval and that meant breaking the rules. Breaking the rules wasn’t part of Kyungsoo’s hobby, it was Baekhyun’s job. But remembering how frustrated Baekhyun now that she is crying, Kyungsoo thinks ‘oh this’.

 

Kyungsoo scrambles of to get her jacket and put it on. She thinks she looks decent before she grab another jacket knowing that Baekhyun must forget to bring one for her own and got out her room. Kyungsoo tip toes out the hallway and barely make any noise when the door to her left open. “Where do you think you’re going Do Kyungsoo?” her cousin Ryeoowok stood at the door with her arms crossed against her chest and Kyungsoo bites back a shrill scream.

 

“U-unnie”

 

Kyungsoo gapes when a pair of arms comes wrapping around Ryeowook’s torso and a man could be seen. He was bared chest and was only wearing a pair of boxers and Kyungsoo knows him. It’s Cho Kyuhyun, the young owner of the popular Italian restaurant in Busan. He was quite popular among the women- what is he doing here? “I won’t tell your father if you won’t say anything about this or I’m going to kill you. Now where are you going?” her cousin seem relax about this and Kyungsoo let out a sigh. She wonders how the sweet cousin of hers had miraculously turned into an evil person.

 

“Baekhyun called. I think something happen”

 

Ryeowook’s expression softens at the mention of Baekhyun and she smiles, being the once angelic person she is. “Really? Okay fine go. Just be careful okay” Kyungsoo nods as Ryeowook pats her head and push Kyuhyun back into her room and close the door with a soft thud. She stood there just slightly dumbfounded. What is Cho Kyuhyun doing here?

 

It wasn’t soon when Kyungsoo regain back her conscience and smack hard on her forehead. Without any further delay, Kyungsoo manage to get out of the house without any trouble and got at the park in less than 10 minutes.

 

Baekhyun was sitting on a bench, hugging her body using her arms and Kyungsoo knows her assumption is correct. She approached the girl and dropped the jacket she brought onto her shoulder that shock Baekhyun. But when she turned and saw it was only Kyungsoo, she smiles. Kyungsoo notice the tears trail on her cheeks as she took a seat and kept quiet, knowing that Baekhyun would let it out when she feels like it.

 

“Umma ask for my blessing to remarried”

 

Baekhyun says after a few seconds of quietness and Kyungsoo inhales sharply. They both know this was going to come and they had practice who knows how many times for Baekhyun to get ready to face this situation. However now that it had really happen, Kyungsoo knows it must be very hard and no amount of practice could make Baekhyun be so composed about. “What did you say?” she ask and Baekhyun sighs, kicking the ground with her foot.

 

“I said okay. We got through dinner without any problem but it was quite awkward. Sooyeon seems quiet while Soojung looked like she expected that” the other girl says and Kyungsoo smiles nodding.

 

“That was better than what I thought. I expect you would be raging about it. Well, you know. You’re a one hell of a dramatic girl”

 

“Hey!” Baekhyun retort hitting Kyungsoo just slightly and they break into fits of laughter. Their laugh fills the empty and quiet park making it far more merrier than it was. Baekhyun sighs leaning against Kyungsoo and the smaller girl chuckle softly but nonetheless leans back against the other. “But I guess I can do nothing about the marriage. Umma and appa are obviously never ever getting back together and Mr. Jung makes umma happy”

 

Kyungsoo smiles and nod but her mind says that’s unfair. But what can they do? She retorts back to herself, we’re just a bunch of teenagers.

 

“Thanks for coming Kyungsoo. I really appreciate it”

 

Kyungsoo smiles and swings her legs back and forth. “I’ll do anything for you Baekhyun-ah” a smile form on Baekhyun’s face before she swings an arm over Kyungsoo’s shoulder. The other squirm slightly with a small noise of protest but she didn’t move away though. “And thanks for bringing the jacket. You know me too well” A small laughter erupted from Kyungsoo.

 

“Of course Baek. I’m your best friend.”

 

 

 

Her phone rang suddenly, ‘Super Junior Shirt’ singing loudly and Baekhyun hurriedly took her phone from her back pocket and answered it. “Unnie! Where are you? I’m waiting for you” Soojung says without any further delay and Baekhyun let out a laugh. Soojung is waiting for her so her fiancée is waiting for her too.

 

“I’m already there baby Jung. What is umma and dad doing? Is Sooyeon there already?”

 

Soojung laughs and Baekhyun thinks she must look very beautiful laughing happily like that. “Everyone is here already. Well, except you. We’re going out for dinner tonight with one of Jihoon-shii’s friend. So when you finally arrive, we’ll be going immediately” her mind goes back to Chanyeol when she heard friend and she smiles, knowing she’s going to see him sooner than expected.

 

“Okay, I’ll be there in twenty minutes”

 

Soojung mutters some ‘you should be’ before saying goodbye and hung up the phone. Baekhyun sighs as she pulls her bag behind her and looks ahead. She is almost there, she thinks as she walks past a familiar park and thinks that nothing much changes. The park is still full of trees and, - and a lone swing sitting in the middle of the park. We used to play at the swing, she says more to herself and unconsciously she makes her way to it.

 

Letting her bag go, Baekhyun trace the finger using her fingers and a smile came to her face. Baekhyun slowly sat on the swing and push her body back and forth with the help of her legs. It goes slowly for a while before it got faster and higher. Soon, Baekhyun was swinging on the swing and she lets out a small laugh as she goes on the swing. The wind blew her hair as she goes making it messier than it was and Baekhyun couldn’t help but let out a laugh even more.

 

She knew she looks crazy right now. A grownup woman playing on the swing while laughing like a madman but for some reason, Baekhyun doesn’t care. It wasn’t her usual self who cares about her image but right now, nothing matters anymore. She felt free, no troubles could she be bother with, no heart breaks that she would face and no head ache from all the thinking she had. She felt free and free was what she wanted.

 

 

“Higher Baek! Higher!”

 

Kyungsoo screeches and Baekhyun let out a loud laugh but she pushes the swing even more. Kyungsoo goes higher and higher and more speed was added and she loves it. Her hair goes messy with the wind but she doesn’t care as she closed her eyes and embrace the wind she felt blowing. It was a really nice set of breeze that could captivate anyone if they see it, if only.

 

“Kyungsoo! Slow down!”

 

“No!”

 

No, she doesn’t want to stop and she wants to be like this forever. With her eyes close, Kyungsoo urge the swing to go faster and higher and it complies. Her heart soared with the wind. She feels like a bird, free to go anywhere as they pleased not caring what troubles are ahead. She wants to be like them. She wants to be able to fly like them. She wants to be free like them.

 

“Kyungsoo!”

 

Her eyes snap open at the sudden voice and startled, Kyungsoo lets the swing go and her body flew forward. Her eyes widen and she thinks ‘I’m flying’. She hit the ground with a loud thud and pain followed soon after.

 

 

“I told you to slow down but you wouldn’t. What in the world are you thinking Do Kyungsoo!” Baekhyun nagged like an old woman as she nurse Kyungsoo’s bleeding knees because of the impact from the fall. The shorter one had been sobbing like a baby and Baekhyun had the urge to smack onto Kyungsoo’s head. “Next time, don’t let go of the swing stupid. What are you? A five year old?”

 

Despite the tears, Kyungsoo giggled at Baekhyun who look far more matured when she’s so serious. “Sorry” she said between sobs and Baekhyun glares at her. “I really don’t understand you. You know this would happen but you still go fast every time you go on the swing” Baekhyun muttered as she placed a band aid over the wound. Kyungsoo smiles innocently before she threw her gaze to the sky.

 

“See those birds” she says pointing to the birds flying over the head and Baekhyun looked at them with uninterested eyes. “What about them?”

 

A serene smile came to Kyungsoo’s face.

 

“I want to be like them. They fly where ever they want to go with no troubles in their mind. They can go where ever they pleased and no trouble of thinking about the effect. I wish I could be like them” Baekhyun blinks as she stare at the birds flying away and smile nodding.

 

“But if you could go anywhere without trouble, you should be an angel. Angels could go anywhere they want without any troubles. Those birds had their own troubles too. They’re flying away because they need to. Winter is coming soon and they need shelter. An angel on the other hand can do anything they want”

 

Kyungsoo grins at Baekhyun.

 

“Such wise word from my unnie”

 

Baekhyun laughed patting Kyungsoo’s head.

 

“Anyways” Kyungsoo started looking sneakily at Baekhyun with a playful grin and Baekhyun frown at her. “Anyways?”

 

“I never knew you’d care about me”

 

“Shut up”

 


 

“Why are you crying?”

 

Baekhyun snap out of her thought when a voice interrupt her and she look up to see a small girl standing in front of her. She was a small thing, maybe at the age of four of five, while wearing a blue frilly dress that reaches till just below her knees. The sleeves reach to her forearm and she has a pink shawl over her shoulder. But that wasn’t what took Baekhyun’s attention the most. It was her eyes and hair that catches her attention. She has really wide eyes that has a curious and playful glint in them and brownish black hair that goes to her shoulder.

 

In one word, the girl looks familiar.

 

“Are you hurt? Should Sehunnie call papa?”

 

The girl ask innocently and Baekhyun brought her hands to her face and was surprise to feel tears. Hastily, she wipe them away and smile bashfully at the small child. But she looks like she need answers and Baekhyun laughs, thinking how much she reminds of herself. “I just miss someone. You don’t have to call your papa” she says and the child’s eyes widen for a while.

 

“Really? If you miss that person, why don’t you go see that person?”

 

Baekhyun gives credit to the child’s father. She’s a very smart girl.

 

“I can’t. I don’t know where she went” Baekhyun says and the girl look slightly down at her answer. “Well, papa said that if Sehunnie miss mama, Sehunnie should look up at the sky and mama is out there somewhere watching over Sehunnie and papa”

 

Baekhyun frown at her words.

 

“Where did your mama go Sehunnie?”

 

The child tilt her head to the side. “Papa said that mama left to be with Sehunnie’s oppa in heaven” it hurts Baekhyun to know that this child lost her mother at such a young age yet she looks so strong and mature. Reaching her arms out, Baekhyun pulls the child into her arm and buried her nose into her hair. “Is your name Sehunnie?” she ask and the child shook her head.

 

“Sehunnie’s name is Kim Sehun but everyone calls Sehunnie, Sehunnie”

 

It was cute for her to talk like that and Baekhyun thinks she’s going to adore this child. “What’s your papa’s name Sehunnie? Maybe aunty knows your papa” Sehun nod.

 

“Papa’s name is Kim Jo- “

 

Before she could even say more, Baekhyun’s phone rang and she wince at the loud noise. It was Sooyeon this time screaming at Baekhyun about hurrying over or they are going to leave her alone with no food and all. Baekhyun ends the call with a promise to be there soon.

 

“Sehunnie, aunty needs to go now”

 

Sehun pout but she nods her head. Baekhyun had smile and pat her head which Sehun leans in. She made some whining voice when Baekhyun was about to walk away and when Baekhyun turns, she sees a small child in need of affection from a mother. She smiles before giving her business card to Sehun. “This is aunty’s number. Sehunnie can call aunty whenever you want”

 

“Byun Bakehyun?”

 

“Baekhyun. Yes, that is my name” Sehun beams and nod her head happily. “Okay Sehun will call when Sehunnie is bored and papa is out to work”

 

Bidding goodbye, Baekhyun walk away as her mind set to see little Sehun soon.