Neglect/Path

Something Went Right

“Gwiboonie. . . ?” Jinki quickly glanced at his phone to see if it was really her. His eyes widened in shock when he realized it was. Normally when Gwiboon was mad she didn’t talk to him for at least a day.

 

“Jinki you egg; you weren’t even going to call me for a whole day? Yah . . . don’t you think you’re being too much?” Gwiboon’s voice rang through the phone loud enough for Jinki to hear feedback.

 

Jinki drug a hand down his face. How could he possibly forget to call Gwiboon after her episode in class? Any good friend would’ve at least called to see if she was okay.

 

A wave of guilt cramped his chest as he realized that he had neglected Gwiboon because he was so busy being chummy with a person he had only met a few days ago instead of checking to see if his best friend since forever was alright.

 

“I’m sorry; I really was going to call you. I was just busy after school today.” Jinki grimaced at his white lie. Well, technically I was busy. . .

 

“. . . Wow okay . . . you know what? Forget it. I’ll let you get back to your wet dream.”

 

Wet dream?? This little. . . .

 

“Listen. I don’t know what I did to you, but the only way I can apologize is to know what’s going on, so spill it.”

 

“Are you really asking because you don’t know?” she cut in incredulously.

 

“Yes, exactly! I don’t know! That’s why I ing asked! Sorry Boonie, but every once in a blue moon when I have other things to do, I forget to analyze your every word and action. Okay! You go around dramatic as all day and you expect me to read your mind. Well, , I’m sorry if you expect me to be able to read your mind just because we’ve been friends for so long, but it’s not an acquired skill. I don’t know what your problem is.” Jinki whispered hotly.

 

Jinki was always one to apologize when he was in the wrong, but to deal with Gwiboon’s sass for no reason was something he had stopped allowing a long time ago.

 

“Wow, you really are one of the most oblivious people I know! “Once in a blue moon when you’re busy you don’t analyze me?”” she scoffed. “What bull. Then you’ve been preoccupied our entire friendship, because you’ve never once noticed me, Jinki. But yet, I’m the one with the problem.” She let out a humorless chuckle. “It’s getting late. Hang up.”

 

Gwiboon’s words were cold, but the vulnerability in her voice was something Jinki had learned to pick up ages ago. The hurt was clear, but why she was so hurt over one phone call confused Jinki.

 

Hadn’t he been there for her every other time?  It wasn’t like she was there for him every moment he needed her either. Never noticed her? What did that even mean?

 

Jinki ran a frustrated hand through his hair as he rumbled out a sigh and let his hand drop with a thud back onto his comforter. The silence in his room suddenly felt empty without the humming of Gwiboon’s voice from the other end of the receiver.

 

He gripped his phone in his hand as he unlocked his phone and sent his last text of the night:

 

Boonie, I really am sorry. Whenever you feel like talking, I’m here. Goodnight.


 

 

Jinki drummed his pencil on his desk as he waited for his English teacher to come back into the classroom. His English teacher was a very beautiful, fashionable, and laid back woman named Ms. Eufrasia. They were talking in English about her travels when her desk phone rang and she rushed out the room with a bright “Be right back!” and a swirl of her African print dress.

 

Which country in Africa? He didn’t know. He had only been a few moments of solitude before a familiar presence seated themselves in the desk right next to his.

 

“’morning Hyung,” Jonghyun smiled warmly at Jinki, his gradient hair a bit tussled and uniform shirt casually ed to reveal a black Tupac shirt underneath.

 

Jinki instinctively smiled and turned to face his object of affection.  

 

“Hello Jonghyun~ did you sleep well?” he inquired warmly, his smile still nearly touching his ears, but he couldn’t help it. Not when Jonghyun’s looked like it was about to split his small face in half.

 

“Mm-hmm~ How about you Hyung?” he seemed genuinely eager to hear Jinki’s answer.  

 

Before Jinki could think of a witty comment to add to their riveting conversation (read: blushing idiots barely talking), Ms. Eufrasia and several other students strolled into the classroom as the bell rang signaling the start of class. The boys opened their notebooks and prepared for another hour of English grammar and vocab, along with a few interesting tales of Ms. Eufrasia’s abroad campaigns.

. . .

 

“I never understand Ms. Eufrasia’s stories! She explains a lot of the class in Korean, but says the fun stuff in English!” Jonghyun despaired. “I never know what’s so great about her stories because I never understand what she’s saying.” He whined as he and Jinki walked down the hallway with his shoulder occasionally brushing the top of Jinki’s bicep.

 

Jinki let a short chuckle escape. “They are really interesting . . . but you really don’t know what she’s saying? A lot of the stuff she says is stuff she’s already taught.” he trailed on, “If you really don’t understand I can help you. Not to show off or anything, but English is one of my favorite classes, so I’m fairly good at it.”

 

His neck felt hot as he struggled to keep his bright expression in place. Why did I even say that?! Now he’ll think I’m looking down on him. I’m already a tutor for math too.

 

Plus, what am I gonna do if he says no? Oh god. . . when will I learn to shut my big mouth? Jinki internally wailed. He could feel the edges of his smile start to wobble into a nervous grin.

 

“An English tutor, huh. That actually sounds really cool!” Jonghyun grinned happily grabbing Jinki’s elbow. “That would really help my grade too,” he cheeks slightly pink, “When do you want to start?” Jonghyun smiled at Jinki expectedly.

 

“Uh, how about tonight at my house. . . that’s if you’re not busy! And if you want to come to my house! We’ll just be studying together- that’s all!!” Oh my god shut up!!!! Jinki clamped his lips shut before he could sound any more like a nerd.

 

Jonghyun looked up at Jinki through his bangs and smirked as he slid his hand from Jinki’s bicep to lightly encircle his fingers around Jinki’s wrist.

 

“That would be-”

 

Books scattered to the floor as a melon scented body parted the boys; sending Jonghyun to the floor with a harsh puff of air escaping his lips. Jinki dropped his backpack with a dull thud and glared at the rude person who just knocked Jonghyun and almost him to the floor.

 

Gwiboon whipped her red streaked head right in Jinki’s face. Then she kicked past Jinki’s backpack with an emotionless “Meet me at the field” and strutted away.

 

Jinki gritted his teeth. What the is her damage?

 

He rushed over to Jonghyun who was now sitting on the ground fuming as he picked up his books and papers off the floor.

 

“Hey, are you okay? I’m really sorry about that. I’ve never seen her that angry before.” Jinki trailed off as he picked up Jonghyun’s materials and his own backpack.

 

“It’s not your fault. Some people have no home training.” He shook his head forcefully while dusting off his clothes. “Who the hell was that girl anyway? Is she your girlfriend or something?” he asked, still wiping off invisible dust from his shoulder.

 

Jinki waved his hands in front of him. “No! No! Just a childhood friend of mine.”

 

“That’s good. I mean, that’s good because she seems kinda mean no offense.” Jonghyun visibly thawed as he chuckled.

 

“Yeah that would be weird?” Jinki chuckled awkwardly. “Do you have a girlfriend or boyfriend?” he blurted. Jinki’s face flamed red at his forward question. My big mouth!

 

Suddenly, Jonghyun’s face closely resembled an Olympian torch.

 

“Uh, n-no. I, uh, don’t have a boyfriend right now. . .” No boyfriend? Neither boys made direct eye contact. Jinki had never noticed how thick the other boy’s eyebrows were until now. Jinki needed a quick escape before things got any more awkward. . .

 

“Shouldn’t you go see what your friend wanted?” he suddenly interjected.

 

Yes, I really should talk to her, but if we talk now I don’t know if I can control myself. . .

 

“Oh yeah, you’re right. I’ll see you later.” He beamed, slowly walking away from Jonghyun towards the general direction of the soccer field.

 

“Yeah, see you tonight Hyung.” Jonghyun coolly pivoted and briskly strolled away in the opposite direction.

 

Tonight?  


A/N: hey everyone! thanks for sticking with me until now...I know it's been a while since i updated but i forgot i even wrote this fic orz idk how much ill be able to update bc im a senior and i have to apply to colleges now but ill try!! maybe ill post drabbles if u guys give me prompts to make up for it~ thank you so much for reading and please comment! xo ^^;;;