Hunting Golden Piggys

I'm Not Going to Hide Anymore

Date: July 5, 2010

Location: Suwon City Jang Ryong Mun Entrance

Time: 5:00 PM

 

All nine members formed two lines to enter into the stadium. Ji Hyo remembered coming to see a few of the Taeguk Warrior matches with her father when she was in her early twenties. Her father had always enjoyed coming to see the international matches because it allowed him to interact with foreign fans. She was reminded of memories of her father watching the other members line up in a similar format to the professional football players.

“Ji Hyo-ssi and Hara-ssi, why don’t you stand at the beginning of the lines?”

A grimace flittered across Ji Hyo’s face at Jae Suk’s suggestion. She really didn’t want to be paired up next to Hara. It was bad enough that she had to stand next to the pretty idol during the opening. Now they wanted her to do it again. Releasing a breath, Ji Hyo moved to where they wanted her to stand. Once they were all lined up, they began the procession leading out onto the field.

Passing through the glass doors, the members all noticed that a Golden Piggy Bank had replaced the official game ball. But then their attention was captured by the view in front of them. Ji Hyo clapped as they walked onto the field. It wasn’t anything like sitting in the stands with her father when she was younger.

“I think I’m supposed to enter with this.”

Ji Hyo turned her head to see Jong Kook grabbing the Golden Piggy Bank and carrying it like a football. All she heard from the other members as they lined up in front of the cameras were words of awe of the stadium.

“Starting from today until tomorrow, our games and mission will be held here—“ Jae Suk began.

“OH! Suk Jin Hyung is here!” Joong Ki interrupted.

Ji Hyo watched at how the other members happily greeted Suk Jin. It was interesting that with only a few days of interacting on the show they see each other as family.

“Ah hyung-nim, I started the show without you because you weren’t showing up.”

“That’s why,” Suk Jin said to Jae Suk, “because I wanted to know how you guys would start the show, I hired a spy…I had a deep conversation with Gary-ssi.”

“There’s something that never ends, right?” Gary said to Suk Jin.

“Wow…your mouth got bigger in just two weeks.”

The members burst into laughter at Suk Jin’s response. Even with coming late, he still had something prepared. They froze has they heard an announcement echo through the stadium.

“GOJEONG BAMSAE! GOJEONG BAMSAE!”

They turned to face the flashing message board where the alert message was playing. The Exits Sealed message flashed several times before it turned dark.

“Everyone, we can’t get out until tomorrow morning now.”

Ji Hyo watched the other members start clapping before joining in. She didn’t want to stand out for being the only one to do so.

“That was the signal to begin…OH!”

Another message flashed on the monitor board.

“Hello everyone. I am the goalkeeper of the South Korea National Team, Jung Sung Ryong. To all the citizens who love and support our South Korean Soccer, I would like to say thank you from the bottom of my heart.”

As Ji Hyo watched the message, she remembered seeing him during the 2010 FIFA World Cup with her dad.

“Starting now, the team that earns more prize money through the games will be the first team to exit the stadium. All the prize money earned will be donated to the Soccer Charity Foundation so to everyone on Running Man, please give it your best! Running Man, fighting! Song Joong Ki, fighting!”

Applause erupted from the Running Man members. Jae Suk turned to Joong Ki.

“Oh, Jung Sung Ryong said Song Joong Ki fighting! You guys know each other?”

“Jung Sung Ryong-ssi is the coach for our Soccer Club.”

“Ah, Soccer Club,” Jae Suk turned back to the cameras and PDs, “So, just like Jung Sung Ryong said, the amount of prize money we earn will be the key, right?”

The line of PDs and writers sitting on the ground in front of them nodded.

“Alright! Please start giving the hints!”

Jong Kook and Jae Suk both reached into their pockets to pull out the Running Man handphones. The moment Jae Suk had requested the hints they had vibrated. With their teams gathered around, they looked at the messages.

Find all four of the Golden Piggy Banks hidden within the stadium.

This is the place to go.

The second message contained a video of a Round of 16 match from the 2002 FIFA World Cup in South Korea/Japan. When South Korea was playing Italy when a goal from Ahn Jung Hwan led his team to the quarterfinals.

“Isn’t this the scene where they got into the quarterfinals?”

“Ne, Jae Suk. It is.”

For the Away Team, the video made the hint confusing. But for the Home Team, Joong Ki’s knowledge of soccer came in handy.

“Victory Ball!”

Hara, Suk Jin, Jong Kook, and Chun Hee all looked towards Joong Ki.

“Because it’s the ball that won the match there is a chance that the ball would be placed here in the stadium.”


“RACE OVER! RACE OVER!

Ji Hyo looked down as she failed at stealing the Golden Piggy Bank away from Hara at the last moment. The Away Team had only managed to get one while the Home Team had three.

“Our future looks very bright.”

Jong Kook’s comment made her feel worse. She looked at how Jong Kook, Suk Jin, and Joong Ki were all each cradling a piggy bank. Ji Hyo felt like she hadn’t been able to contribute anything to her team.

“How’s this…we’ll play rock-paper-scissors and the losing team has to give up a piggy bank.”

“Why?”

Jae Suk stared at Suk Jin. Why would he be willing to possibly lose a piggy bank?

“Because we have three.”

The members of the Away Team looked at each other.

“Let’s do it, do it—“ Haha began.

“Alright, we’ll bet once…one piggy bank” Jae Suk finished.

“So the team who has one person left wins and they get the piggy bank” Suk Jin wanted to clarify.

Jae Suk and Jong Kook, as the unofficial team leaders, both nodded. The two teams then moved to form lines facing each other. Naturally it would be Jong Kook and Jae Suk first.

“Rock, paper, scissors!”

Both sent out rock. The only difference is that Jong Kook placed his clenched ‘rock’ next to Jae Suk’s face.

“Are you waving your fist at me?”

“I’m this kind of person. What about it?”

Jae Suk looked around, incredulous. This dongsaeng was really going to try to challenge him?

“Rock, paper, scissors!”

Jae Suk sent out another rock. Jong Kook sent out a dangerous pair of scissors next to Jae Suk’s face. The Away Team cheered for Jae Suk’s win. Suk Jin looked over to where Jong Kook had moved.

“Yah! Jong Kook! Other than having muscles, what else can you do?”

Suk Jin stepped forward to challenge Jae Suk this time.

“Rock, paper, scissors!”

Ji Hyo let out a quiet groan as Jae Suk sent out scissors to Suk Jin’s rock. Her team really needed to get the second golden piggy in order to be able to escape the next morning.

“Rock, paper, scissors!”

Everyone, including the VJs and PDs, stared at the pair of scissors that Haha sent out to beat Suk Jin’s paper.

“What was that? Those aren’t scissors.”

The Home Team protested Haha’s use of ring and pinky finger for his scissors. But the PDs still allowed them.

“What are you going to play?” Haha said to Hara.

“Me. I’m not going to tell you.”

“Rock, paper scissors!”

Hara’s paper defeated Haha’s rock. Ji Hyo was amazed at the fact that the winning team had alternated every round. No team had won two rounds in a row. Ji Hyo stepped forward to stand in front of Hara.

“Ji Hyo-yah, do it well.”

She looked back at where Jae Suk was standing. He nodded at her for encouragement. She smiled and turned back to Hara. Just as both Ji Hyo and Hara held up their hand to count, Jong Kook interrupted.

“Hold on, hold on! You guys have one more person, right? Then someone has to come over.”

“Who?”

“What is he saying?”

Suk Jin stared at Jong Kook. Had he been transparent this whole time?

“Look, your team members don’t even know your existence” Jae Suk pointed out to Suk Jin.

“I thought you weren’t here,” Jong Kook laughed out.

Ji Hyo and Hara once again looked at each other.

“Rock, paper, scissors!”

Ji Hyo stared down at her hand spread out to represent paper before looking to see Hara’s hand representing scissors. A frown pulled at the corners of . As she moved back into the line, she couldn’t bring herself to lift her head up. She didn’t want to see the disappointment on the rest of her teams’ faces.

“Rock, paper, scissors!”

Gary sent out his scissors…then Hara sent out paper. Ji Hyo was confused. Hara hesitated but still sent out the losing hand. The Home Team immediately began protesting. Ji Hyo moved forward, arguing back.

“We won! We won! We won!”

“Woah!”

Jae Suk moved to stand in front of Ji Hyo. He held his hands up to try to get her to calm down.

“Is Ji Hyo noona actually angry? That scared me, it’s my first time seeing her like that.”

Ji Hyo covered her face as she heard Joong Ki. She squatted down as she began internally reprimanding herself. As an actress, she knew she couldn’t show a strong personality and behaviors. Ji Hyo couldn’t believe she just did that. She was on film!

“It’s your first time seeing her like that, isn’t it?

Ji Hyo stood up fully hearing Jae Suk ask Joong Ki that question. She had previously worked with Joong Ki in A Frozen Flower. During the entire nine month filming process, she had worked carefully to never show her strong personality.

“Rock, paper, scissors!”

Both Chun Hee and Gary began with a rock each.

“Rock, paper, scissors!”

Gary’s represented rock was knocked out by Chun Hee’s paper. The Away Team looked at the last representative, Kwang Soo. Ji Hyo wished that she had won against Hara.

“Rock, paper, scissors!”

Kwang Soo let out a tortured groan as his scissors lost to Chun Hee’s rock. Joong Ki walked over to Kwang Soo and took the Away Team’s only piggy bank. Ji Hyo saw Haha leave the area but didn’t find anything strange about it until he came back with another piggy bank.

“We should play again—“ Jae Suk began as he tried to shift the piggy bank from Haha. It probably would have worked if it hadn’t slipped.

“It looks very light.”

“It should be heavier.”

Suk Jin thought for a moment before having an idea.

“Let’s see everyone’s acting skills. Pass it along to each other so everyone gets a chance.”

Haha set the piggy bank in the center of the floor before the entire Away Team stepped back. Haha looked down at the piggy bank sitting on the floor before approaching it carefully. He leaned down to pick it up but came to a sudden stop.

“AHHH!”

Haha screamed out as he tried using all of his strength to lift the piggy bank.

“Ah! I can’t pick it up alone.”

Kwang Soo moved forward to help Haha lift the piggy bank. As they managed to lift the piggy bank slightly, Haha’s fingers slipped and the piggy bank went back down. Except this time the piggy bank rested on Kwang Soo’s foot.

“Ah! My foot!”

Kwang Soo gestured frantically at Gary to help Haha and he lift the piggy bank off of his foot. Together, the three of them managed to slowly lift the piggy bank a few feet off of the ground. Grunting with extrusion, the three boys rested the piggy bank on Kwang Soo’s knee to catch their breath.

“Ji Hyo-yah!”

Ji Hyo slid forward to kneel on one knee next to the group of three boys. Clutching the pig, the four of them lifted the piggy bank and rested in on Ji Hyo’s shoulder. When the three boys left go of the piggy bank, she instantly fell to her knees. Gary and Kwang Soo immediately helped lift the piggy bank so that Ji Hyo could once again stand.

“Thanks for the hard work.”

With the boys help, Ji Hyo carefully lifted the piggy bank to rest on the top of her head. Jae Suk stepped forward to take the piggy bank from her. Once Jae Suk had a firm grip on the pig, Ji Hyo left go. Jae Suk slid down to the ground and the piggy bank slammed onto the ground.

DONG!

“OH!”

The Away Team stared at Jae Suk lying on the floor. They had done all that hard work and he just gave them away.

“Ah, the sound…”

“It was perfect from Haha to Ji Hyo.”

Jong Kook laughed as Suk Jin stepped forward with one of their piggy banks. Dropping the piggy bank onto the floor, Suk Jin looked at Jae Suk.

“It should make this type of sound.”

THUMP!

“Let’s just go!”

The Home Team turned and walked away from where the Away Team was standing. Haha moved to stand in front of Jae Suk.

“Those were all good ideas! Sorry hyung. Please do pushups!”

“It was my fault this time but we just started. We have to stay here until tomorrow morning.”

Ji Hyo needed to do something to diffuse the situation.

“There are going to be more games. Everyone fighting!”

She held her hand out hoping that they would join her. One by one, the four men all joined their hands in the center.

“One, two, three, fighting!”

The Away Team moved out of the Memorial Museum to follow behind the Home Team. The moment they left the camera shot, they all burst into laughter. But Ji Hyo knew they needed to win the rest of the games in order to be able to leave first in the morning.

 

Golden Piggy Banks Collected

Home Team: 4

Away Team: 0


So, it looks like there will be one more chapter after this one related to episode two. I should be able to get episode three down in only one or two chapters. The main reason I'm going into a lot of detail for Ji Hyo's guest episodes is because that was really when they other members actually saw her as a female. When she became an official member, them seeing her as feminine kind of disappeared.