Smile

Smile

I sat with my back to the brick wall, just under the window.

That was my usual spot. Every day after school I would sit on the same patch of grass under the third window from the front of the building. I would sit there, staring at the fragile, growing trees across from the building until the singing stopped.

I didn't know the boy who sung in the same room every day.

I couldn't picture him in my head. Was he tall? Did he have long or short hair? Did he have a nice smile? Were his eyes double or single lidded?

All I knew was that he was a trainee just like me. He was like the rest of us, he wanted to be a singer. But then again, he was absolutely nothing like the rest of us.

His voice.

His voice was something incredible. It was amazing, it was something undeniably perfect.

That day he was singing a ballad. It was sad, but it was absolutely beautiful. He sang it over and over for a whole hour. I cried for a great part of that hour. I cried because his voice was beautiful, I cried because of the lyrics, I cried because I would never sing like him.

He had such feeling in his voice. It was powerful, submerging everything around it with the mood of the song. 
He mostly sang love songs, every time his voice dripping with emotion.

He was in love, it was obvious.

I had heard it happen.

I almost never heard him speak, and when he did, he never said anything of it.

I knew because I heard his voice change.

I had been sitting under that window at the same time every day for three weeks. It was summer, and it was hot, so the window was open every day.

The first day I heard him I had just wanted to sit under some shade and avoid the sun before it was my time to practice. That day I had been mesmerized by his voice and I had sat there for a whole hour. As the days went on, his voice seemed to get even lovelier.

He sounded as if he was singing for someone. He sounded like he was saying 'I love you' simply by the way he sang.

His singing made me happy, but it also made me incredibly sad.

I had a good voice. I could sing, I wasn't an SM trainee for no reason, but I was average among the rest. There was something lacking in my voice.

The trainers thought it could be solved with practice, and I practiced for hours on end trying to get it just how they wanted it.

I knew I couldn't do it.

I felt empty.

There was nothing in my heart that would help me get such emotions into a song.

There was absolutely nothing I could do.

I had always lacked affection, my parents were always to busy, my grandmother was always there and I loved her so very much, but that just wasn't it.

I didn't have friends, I didn't have anyone I felt completely comfortable with.

I was lonely.

No emotion came through with the songs I sang.

My voice was empty.

I sat and listened every day to the other boy, hoping to get something from his singing that would help me improve.

I had become slightly better, but not much.

Because of this, I cried.

Because of his voice, I cried.

I rested my forehead on my knees, hoping to quiet down, I didn't want anyone to hear me. I cried so much, only able to calm myself near the end or it all.

I sat with my back to the brick wall, just under the window.

I sat teary eyes and pathetic looking.

I sat and listened.

I heard a soft sigh, and I held my breath.

"How was that?" he asked.

"Very good! You're going to have all the ladies swooning over you once you debut!" his trainer said.

He laughed.

It had been the first time I had heard him laugh.

His laugh made me smile. It was a unique laugh. It wasn't melodic, like I had been expecting it to be, it was dorky. That was the only way to describe it.

For the first time, I was finally able to picture something about him.

His smile.

It had to be beautiful, just like his voice.

Big and wide.

Happy.

Perfect.

I felt my heart race, and it surprised me.

"Thank you, Miss Lee," he laughed again, making my heart skip a beat, "but I don't want all those girls, I already have my heart set on one person."

My heart, I felt it stop.

And it hurt.

That boy, a boy who I didn't know, a boy I already knew was in love, made my heart hurt with those words.

I had never felt that way.

Not for anyone.

I was hurt.

I knew I shouldn't have been, he had absolutely no idea of my existence.

I couldn't be hurt because I was invisible to him.

Every day, I devoted an hour of my time to listen to him.

I sat with my back to the brick wall, just under the window.

He had no idea I was there.

I shouldn't have felt pain in my heart.

But I did. 
 

From then on, I stopped going to that spot.

I couldn't bring myself to.

I continued going to practice, and I improved.

Somehow I did.

Maybe it was because I wasn't empty anymore.

I felt something for that boy. I felt it in my heart, and I felt pain.

At night I would dream of a smiling boy. A smiling boy that made my heart stop hurting and made me happy.

Weeks later I saw the boy of my dreams for the first time.

He sat across a table from me in a meeting room of the SM building.

He smiled, and he stuck his hand out to me.

A smile that made my heart stop.

Before I even heard him speak, I knew it was him.

He was the boy I heard sing every day for three weeks.

He was the smiling boy of my dreams.

"Hello, I'm Kim Jonghyun." He said.

He was Kim Jonghyun.

He was my future groupmate.

He was the boy I was in love with before I even knew.

He was my future best friend.

He was the best friend I never had.

He was the person that made my heart full.

He was the person who let me sing.

He was the reason I sat with my back to the brick wall, just under the window more than seven years later.

This time he wasn't in the room.

This time it wasn't by daylight.

This time, it was well past four in the morning.

This time I wasn't alone.

This time he sat next to me.

He had dragged me out of the dorm after his radio show.

It was late and I yelled at him when he flipped on the light switch of my room.

I yelled at him when he rummaged through my closet and threw a pair of jeans and a T-shirt at me.

As I yelled at him, he smiled.

It was the same smile that made my heart stop ever since we were teenagers.

He told me to get dressed because we had somewhere to be. 
 

I was surprised when we got off of his car in front of the old building where we used to practice.

I was surprised when he grabbed my hand and walked until we were at the third window from the front of the building.

He sat down first and patted a spot on the grass next to him.

He smiled at me, and I obeyed.

"Why did you bring me here, Jjong?" I said, avoiding looking at him.

It was so strange. After so many years, I was sitting next to the person who was usually inside that building. It was like time and two different worlds had collided. We were supposed to be teenagers. It was supposed to be four in the afternoon, not four in the morning. That dusty old window was supposed to be open. He was supposed to be inside that room, singing.

He was not supposed to be outside sitting next to me, his hand barely touching mine on the cool grass.

"I wanted to sit with you here just once." he said, looking at one of the tall trees across from us.

"I know, you know, about you sitting out here back when we were trainees." he said, and I stopped breathing.

After a moment of silence, I whispered, "H-How?"

"Before I went in to practice one day I saw you sitting out here in the shade." he said, and I silently waited for him to continue.

"It wasn't the first time I saw you. I had seen you so many times before, and you always caught my eye. I thought you were pretty," he laughed and my heart fluttered, "I couldn't get you out of my head for so long. When I saw you sitting here, I wanted to impress you. I went in there and I sang as best I could. I sang every word for you."

I had tears in my eyes and I was refusing to let them fall.

"Sometimes I heard you cry. Those times there was nothing more I wanted than to come out here and sit next to you like this. I wanted to comfort you but there was nothing I could do, so I kept singing. One day, I had stayed a little after my practice, and just as I was walking out, I saw you in one of the other practice rooms. I sat in the hall and heard you sing. Your voice reminded me of mine before I started singing for you. It was good, but it was lacking emotion. I could relate."

"A few days after that, I noticed you weren't at my window anymore. From then on, I sat in the hall outside your practice room and listened to you." He paused and took a deep breath. I closed my eyes and leaned my head back on the wall, waiting for him to continue.

"Your voice was different, it was sad. You sounded broken hearted. You improved, but I didn't like hearing you like that. It made me feel like I failed you somehow. I considered you my friend even though we had never even had a conversation. I wanted to make you feel better, but I didn't know how. One day, I felt so upset, I cried in the hall. That same day I decided I would make you as happy as I could." he paused again, taking a shaky breath. I hadn't noticed, but tears has escaped my closed eyes.

"The day I planned to talk to you for the first time, things didn't go as planned, although things seemed to work out. It was the day we found out we were going to be in a group together. I remember smiling like an idiot when I saw you across that table, I finally had my chance." He chuckled softly.

"You do that a lot, you know," I mumbled, "smile like an idiot, I mean." hoping my voice didn't sound shaky.

"That smile has always been just for you, Key." he says, placing his hand on mine and intertwining our fingers.

My heart was beating too fast and I couldn't formulate a response for him.

"I'm so glad I could become your friend. Your voice changed after that you know, it was happier." he whispered as he the back of my hand with his thumb.

"It was because of you. You made me happy." I whisper, looking at out intertwined hands, my heart beat increasing.

"Your smile, it made me feel better. It made my heart stop and it made me feel something." I look at the trees, I took a deep breath to calm the fluttering in my stomach but it only worsened it.

"Your smile made me realize I was in love with you." Jjong squeezed my hand, and I could hear his breathing stop. He wanted to say something, but I didn't let him.

"I didn't realize it then, but I fell for you the second I heard you sing." I took a sharp intake of breath, and Jonghyun was completely silent.

"Please say something? I just said something I've been keeping inside myself for so many years, and you're scaring me. Please," I beg, looking a him, "say some-"

I can't even finish the word before a soft hand is placed on my cheek. His hand holds on tightly to mine, and his other my cheek slowly.

"Kim Kibum, I love you." He says, looking into my eyes.

Tears fall from my eyes and I bite my bottom lip, holding in sobs. His warm thumb wipes the tears away, and he smiles that special smile before he leans in and places his lips on mine.

Those words were something I never thought I would hear come from his lips.

Only in my dreams had I thought I would feel those lips on mine.

The kiss was soft, it was like no other I had ever had. His kiss was so full of love, I couldn't hold back my tears, and, as it seemed, neither could he.

The kiss that started off sweet, quickly turned salty because of our tears.

We both pulled away and laughed a little bit. Jjong, the crybaby that he is, wiped his never ending tears with the back of his hand.

As I looked at his face, he calmed down, and he just stared back at me.

I smiled.

It was my turn to give him one of those special smiles. That smile was returned a million times over with one of his own.

I tightened my hold on his hand, scooting closer to him.

"I love you too, Kim Jonghyun." I say.

We sit, our fingers intertwined, small, happy smiles on our faces, watching the trees become illuminated by the rising sun.

With my back to the brick wall, just under the window, I sit with the person who gave me happiness.

~~~~~

Dont forget to comment on this one! I would like to know what you guys think of it! ^.^