Final

Loneliness

Kitagawa Ryoha woke up when her alarm clock rang, Ryoha went to shower and prepared herself for school. Ryoha adjusted her school tie and put on her navy blue blazer. Ryoha ate breakfast with her parents before slipping on her shoes. Ryoha exited her house just as a boy wearing the same uniform as her, exited from the house beside hers. The boy sent her a smile and approached her house. He was Ryoha's best friend, Jinguji Yuta, who was also one of the most popular boys in their school. Yuta and Ryoha have been best friends ever since they were four, since they were neighbours when Ryoha's family moved from Aichi. They always walked to school together and Yuta always made time for Ryoha. But Ryoha has feelings for Yuta but he likes someone else. Ryoha doesn't make her feelings for Yuta known but rather she keeps them in her heart, to herself.

"Ohayou Ryoha!" Smiled Yuta.

"Ohayou Yuta-kun!" Smiled Ryoha.

Ryoha shook her head and adjusted Yuta's tie which was a little out of place against his neat and smart uniform. Yuta and Ryoha made their way to school and they headed up to their different classrooms. Ryoha took her seat next to the window and she was greeted by her friend, Orito Aisa.

"Ohayou Ryoha!" Smiled Aisa.

"Ohayou Aisa." Said Ryoha, with a small smile.

Ryoha took out her math textbook just as their teacher arrived and started class. Ryoha diligently took down notes for every subject in various notebooks which she used to study.

Ryoha stretched her arms when the school bell rang, signalling the start of their lunch break.

"Ryoha, I'm eating lunch with my cousin today. Do you want to join us?" Asked Aisa.

Aisa's cousin was in the same class as Yuta, his name was Nakamura Reia, he was also friends with Yuta.

Ryoha paused for a moment before shrugging, "Why not?"

Aisa beamed and literally dragged Ryoha to the rooftop,. Yuta blinked when he saw Ryoha being dragged.

"Reia, I invited my friend Ryoha along, if you don't mind!" Said Aisa.

"It's fine." Nodded Reia, but he wasn't looking at Aisa.

Reia looked up and saw Ryoha with Aisa. Reia did a double take before switching his glance to Yuta and then back to Ryoha.

"You're Jinguji's best friend aren't you?" Asked Reia.

Ryoha nodded before glancing at Yuta. "I'm Kitagawa Ryoha, it's nice to meet you."

"I'm Nakamura Reia, the cousin of Aisa. That's Kishi Yuta, Abe Aran, Okamoto Kauan, Iwahashi Genki and Takahashi Fuu. We're also Jinguji's teammates on the basketball team." Said Reia, while pointing at the respective boys.

Kauan playfully punched Yuta, "Why didn't you introduce your best friend to us? We need more girls in our group! Aisa-chan is friends with her as well!"

"A friend of Jinguji's is also a friend of ours." Said Aran.

"Kitagawa-san, why don't you tell us about yourself since we are already friends." Asked Kishi.

Ryoha blinked before a small smile graced her lips. It was strange how people she barely knew accepted her into their group and they genuinely wanted to be her friends.

After lunch, Aisa rushed to the library to return some books, with Reia accompanying her, while Yuta walked Ryoha back to her class.

"I didn't think that Orito-san would invite you today." Spoke Yuta.

"I didn't have much to do anyway." Replied Ryoha.

"I'll meet you after school?" Asked Yuta, seeing as they already arrived at Ryoha's classroom.

Ryoha nodded and gave Yuta a smile before heading into her classroom. Ryoha took her seat and got started on her homework since she still had a little time left.


After school...

Ryoha packed her things and left the classroom, she walked down the stairs and headed to the library. Ryoha was in the library club but she wasn't on duty that day, she just wanted to pass some time. Ryoha picked up several books started to shelve them. Ryoha checked her watch saw that it was already 5.26pm, she promised Yuta that she would meet him at 5.30pm. Ryoha picked up her bag and headed to the school gate. Ryoha stopped when she saw Yuta with one of his classmates, Nishimura Aika. Ryoha knew that she was the girl that Yuta liked and she decided not to disturb them. Ryoha moved to go back into the school building when a voice stopped her.

"Aren't you supposed to meet Jinguji?" Asked a voice.

Ryoha turned around and saw Takahashi Fuu leaning against the pillar of the school building with a basketball in his left hand.

Ryoha faked a smile, "He's with the person he likes, it would be rude to disturb them."

"And you aren't hurting?" Questioned Fuu, approaching Ryoha.

"What are you implying?" Asked Ryoha, suddenly feeling the need to use protect herself.

"You like Jinguji." Replied Fuu.

"And what makes you think that?" Asked Ryoha.

"It's obvious, the way you look at him." Replied Fuu.

"Stay out of my business and why do you know so much." Said Ryoha.

"I observe, I usually don't talk to other people unless we are friends but I observe a lot of things." Replied Fuu.

Ryoha frowned before backing away from Fuu, rushing back into the school building. Fuu stared at Ryoha's retreating back before shaking his head. Fuu made his way to the school gate when he spotted Yuta waiting at the school gate, checking his watch and phone.

"See you tomorrow, Fuu!" Smiled Yuta.

Yuta then bit his lower lip, "You wouldn't happen to have seen Ryoha have you?"

Fuu nodded, "I saw Kitagawa-san going back into the school building, maybe she left something in her classroom."

Jinguji nodded, "I'll go and find her then."

Yuta left Fuu at the gate and the latter shook his head. Fuu felt the need to lie to Yuta about Ryoha. Although they had only met a few hours ago, Ryoha was like the younger sister that Fuu never had. Fuu had an older sister, Takahashi Minami, who was seven years older than him. Needless to say, they weren't very close like most siblings.

Yuta walked around the school before he found Ryoha at the rooftop. Ryoha stared into the horizon, gazing at the orange sky. Yuta slowly approached Ryoha and took a seat beside her.

"What's on your mind?" Asked Yuta.

"Nothing, it's been a while since I've seen the sunset like this." Replied Ryoha, mentally noting that Fuu must have told Yuta where she went.

"Yeah." Murmured Yuta.

Ryoha sneaked a glance at Yuta before picking up her bag. "Let's go, the school is going to close soon."

Yuta smiled at his best friend and the two walked home together.

As time passed, Ryoha became good friends with the rest of Yuta's friends. But at the same time, Yuta also asked his crush, Nishimura Aika, out and they were currently in a relationship. Ryoha felt hurt but she was happy for Yuta.

It's been nearly six months since Ryoha became friends with Fuu and the others and she felt happier. They were going on a picnic with the rest of their friends today, Aika was also invited. Ryoha brought along some of her homemade cupcakes after Aisa asked her to make some. Ryoha met up with Yuta and the two of them headed to the park together where they met the rest of their friends. Aisa, Reia and Fuu helped Ryoha set up the picnic table.

"You guys want to play some basketball?" Asked Abe Aran, who brought along a basketball, while Okamoto Kauan pointed to a basketball court nearby.

"You guys go on ahead first, Aisa and I are going to buy more ice while Ryoha and Fuu set up the picnic table." Replied Reia.

Reia and Aisa went to the convenience store in the park to buy more ice while Fuu and Ryoha set up the picnic table. Aika, Kishi, Genki, Aran, Yuta and Kauan played basketball with Kauan, Genki and Yuta in one team while Aran, Kishi and Aika were in the other.

"Are you alright with this?" Asked Fuu?

"About what?" Asked Ryoha.

"Nishimura-san and Jinguji." Replied Fuu.

"I'm fine, I guess. But it's not like I can do anything about it. And it's not like I can hate Nishimura-san for anything, she hasn't done anything wrong to me." Replied Ryoha.

Fuu chuckled and Ryoha looked at him curiously.

"You're just like my older sister, we weren't exactly close like normal siblings before, since we're seven years apart, but we are now, and you guys are pretty alike. My sister liked her best friend too and now they're dating." Chuckled Fuu.

"You know, you're like the younger sister that I never had. When we first became friends, I found it strange and funny that you were just like my older sister. Right now, I think that we have a brother-sister relationship. If you would allow me, I would be happy to be your older brother." Grinned Fuu.

Ryoha smiled, "I don't mind, to tell you the truth, I have an older sister myself. She's nine years older than me, so we aren't really close too. I think that you would make a great big brother."

Fuu laughed and patted Ryoha's head. "And you're a great younger sister."

"Shall we join the others now?" Asked Ryoha, when they heard Aran shouting for back up just as Reia and Aisa returned.

"Let's." Smiled Fuu.

Fuu and Ryoha shared a smile before Fuu joined Aran's team while Ryoha joined Yuta's. Eventually, Aran's team won after Fuu joined their team. Ryoha handed out cups of water after the game and everyone dug into the food.

"That was fun! We should do this more often." Said Kauan.

"And the food's good too." Nodded Genki.

"Ryoha's cupcakes are delicious as usual!" Said Kishi.

"Ryoha, let's make some together next time!" Smiled Aisa.

"Let's all make some together, well the fruits of your labour are always the sweetest." Smiled Ryoha.

The group left the park at 3pm when it started to get cloudy. Fuu, Ryoha, Aika and Yuta walked home together as they lived on the same street. Yuta walked Aika home while Fuu walked Ryoha home.

"I'll see you in school tomorrow. Thanks for the cupcakes, lil sis." Grinned Fuu.

Ryoha giggled, "Arigato, onii-chan. I'll see you tomorrow."

Fuu patted Ryoha's headed before going further down the street while Ryoha headed back inside. Ryoha found her older sister sipping some coffee, Ryoha gave her sister a hug before going up to her room. Ryoha glanced at the photo frame on her wall, the photo was of Ryoha with her friends after they went to the amusement park a few months ago. Ryoha smiled remembering the memory. Ryoha got out her uniform and finished up her homework before spending some time with her sister.

With Fuu's help, Ryoha was able to have a better relationship with her sister. Fuu really acted like he was Ryoha's brother which made others envious of their platonic relationship. Fuu usually walked Ryoha home when Yuta wasn't able to, which was usually about twice a week. Yuta and Ryoha still spent time together although a lot lesser. Yuta became jealous of Fuu and Ryoha's sibling relationship, he remembered when he was just like Fuu, always looking out for Ryoha.

Yuta waited for Ryoha in the locker room of the basketball club as the girls team were having practice today. Like Yuta, Ryoha was a member of the school's basketball team, on the girls team. She joined a few months ago after discovering her passion for basketball. Yuta spotted Ryoha coming out from the locker room in her school uniform but her hair was let down. Ryoha stopped when she saw Yuta waiting for her.

"Aren't you supposed to be with Aika-san?" Asked Ryoha, opening her locker where she kept her bag.

"I told her that I would be walking you home today." Replied Yuta.

"Sorry but Fuu-nii is walking me home today." Replied Ryoha.

Yuta's eyebrows shot up in anger upon hearing Fuu's name. Yuta grabbed onto Ryoha's wrist, "What's with you and Fuu? All you talk about these days is about how great of an older brother he is."

Ryoha furrowed her eyebrows and shot back, "He IS like an older brother to me!"

"Then stop talking about him!" Yuta shot back.

The school was empty at this time and both Yuta and Ryoha were glad that no was around to hear their argument.

Ryoha frowned, "Yuta why are you so jealous? You are not my boyfriend! I'm allowed to have my own personal life! I choose who I hang out with! And besides, you have a girlfriend Yuta! Yuta let go! You're hurting me!"

"Then maybe I shouldn't have introduced you to my friends. Yes, I'll admit that I'm jealous!" Shouted Yuta.

"Is that so? Then if I never knew Fuu-nii, you wouldn't have known I was at the rooftop the last time!" Shouted Ryoha.

Ryoha yanked her wrist from Yuta's arm and stormed off. Yuta punched the locker before realising that Ryoha was right. He wasn't he boyfriend or anything, he was her best friend, and yet he didn't know her that well unlike one of his friends who only met Ryoha a few moths ago. And why was he so jealous, Ryoha was only his best friend and nothing more. And besides he currently has a girlfriend, there shouldn't be any reason why he would be jealous of Ryoha and Fuu's close relationship. Yuta turned to leave before spotting a cellphone charm on the floor. Yuta picked it up and recognised it as Ryoha's. It was a birthday present from him for Ryoha's fourteenth birthday. He had given her a pair of teddy bears to hang on her bag and a cellphone charm.

Yuta paused before he took out his cellphone and made a call. Yuta headed somewhere and met up with someone for a while. After that, Yuta headed back home but he decided to stop by Ryoha's house before going home. Yuta pressed the doorbell and the door was opened by Ryoha's mother.

"Oba-san, is Ryoha at home?" Asked Yuta.

Ryoha's mother nodded, "She's in her room."

Yuta nodded and headed up to Ryoha's room. Yuta stopped in front of the door that was the first door from the stairs, which was Ryoha's room. But before he entered he heard Ryoha singing a song which he used to hear a lot. Yuta slowly knocked on the door until he heard the singing stop. The door opened and Yuta saw Ryoha in front of him, and she looked like she had been crying.

"Come on in." Said Ryoha, straining a smile.

"Gomen, I didn't know what came over me earlier." Spoke Yuta.

Ryoha stared at him before he grabbed Ryoha's palm and placed her cellphone strap on it.

"You dropped it in school earlier." Said Yuta.

"I guess I should be apologising as well. Fuu-nii treated me just like a little sister, and he became an older brother figure to me. I've never had an older brother before so he kind of filled that role. But thanks to him, I was able to become closer with my sister and he helped me accept your relationship with Aika-san. And I want to say something important." Said Ryoha.

Ryoha took a deep breath before continuing, "I want to say that I like you, ever since our last year in middle school. I realised that my feelings for you weren't those of a best friend anymore. But I realised that it didn't matter what kind of a reply you could give me, all that matters is that I've let this secret of mine out after so long. I'll still be happy even if you don't accept my feelings."

Yuta paused, "I know, Aika told me. I met her a while ago and we broke up."

"But why? You guys were happy together." Said Ryoha.

"We were happy, but we both realised that we hurting other people. You for me and Kishi for Aika. We talked things out and realised that our feelings for each other weren't as strong as those we had for others. We talked and she helped me realise that I was jealous of you and Fuu because I liked you." Said Yuta.


Flashback

Yuta met Aika at a cafe but the atmosphere between the two of then was a serious one.

"Yuta-kun, I think we have the same thought." Said Aika.

Yuta paused, "Aika, you're a great person and I'm grateful to you as a friend. We're both being unfair to our friends and ourselves."

"Me too, Yuta you're a great friend but there's someone who has always been waiting for you, even before I came into the picture and I know that you really care for her." Said Aika.

Yuta didn't say anything so Aika continued speaking, "Ryoha-chan has always been there for you, as your best friend. You may not notice it but she's done so much for you even more than me. I know how hard it is to fall in love with your best friend, I did too but he passed on before I could confess."

"Yuta-kun, let's breakup and pursue our own happiness." Said Aika.

Aika held out a hand to Yuta who took it.

Yuta gave a small smile, "Aika thanks for everything, I hope everything goes well for you and Kishi."

Aika and Yuta left the cafe together and Yuta walked her home one last time before going to Ryoha's house. It was a breakup without tears and something they felt that needed to be done. Both Yuta and Aika felt relived after their breakup and were glad to be friends.

End of Flashback


"I know that it may be sudden but when you and Fuu began to hang out more, more than the two of did, I became jealous. I didn't want our friendship to change, I remembered when it was the two of us." Said Yuta.

There was silence until Ryoha shuffled across her bed and took out something from her cupboard. She took out two teddy bears and placed them on her bed.

"You remember them don't you?" Asked Ryoha.

Yuta paused before nodding, during their middle school days they both had matching teddy bears. Ryoha removed something from the one of the teddy bears' neck handed it to Yuta. Ryoha helped Yuta put it on his bag.

"I made it a while ago. Originally I was going to give up on my feelings after I confessed to you but I also realised that it wouldn't really make a difference. I would be happy no matter what reply you would give me, so I didn't matter if I gave up or not. At least I let out a secret of mine." Said Ryoha.

Ryoha leaned forward and gently kissed Yuta's cheek.

Yuta smiled, "Kitagawa Ryoha, I like you."

Yuta hugged Ryoha and she returned it.

"I won't ever let you go." Whispered Yuta.

Yuta gently kissed Ryoha's forehead and hugged her close. It was a happy ending for Ryoha and Yuta even though there were many problems for them but it worked out in the end.