Hell Hole

Sing

Sun blazing, bird chirping. I look over to my alarm clock. 9:53. It takes me a minute to process the time. , I'm late for class! I jump out of bed and grab the first pair of jeans I find and put on a random shirt on the ground. Hey, if it smells fine, then it's clean. I don't have time to eat my regular coco puffs so I grab my light jean jacket and my brown satchel and head out the door. 

"Maybe if I just slip in the back door the professor won't notice that I'm late to his seminar," I think to myself while I'm walking to this hell hole they call college. I sigh. Why am I so worried anyways, I don't even want to be at this stupid place. I can't write papers for , I'm horrible at making friends, and I like to stay in my room and get drunk by myself. I mean what's the point of going to college when I can't get anything out of it? I'm only coming here because my mom said if I went to experience college life for 4 semesters then she would help me pay for be something I really want to do. I knew from a young age that I wasn't cut out to go to school and be a preppy, know-it-all. I've always knew I wanted to become a singer. I know I had the talent for it, I just never had the opportunity to branch out and actually go for it. I just know if I can survive these next two semesters, something amazing will happen, I can feel it.

Well, I must have felt something. I turn the corner and run straight into a body. Startled, I step back and examine whoever it was I ran into. It's a boy, maybe a couple of years younger than my 20 years, who is in the worst clothes I have ever seen. I mean, I know I'm no fashion king but seriously? Hasn't he ever heard of a washing machine? 

"I'm sorry" I say and maneuver around the boy. He doesn't say anything, just sits down with his back against the building and closes his eyes. "That's weird" I think. I shrug and continue my way to class. Thankfully, I made it right as the bell singled for class to start and I took my regular chair in the back of the class, isolated from the chatting girls and boys playing paper football off of each other's foreheads. 

God what a hell hole I'm in.

I awake to that same annoying bell I heard what felt like 10 minutes ago. I open my eyes and check the clock. 12:30. You've got to be kidding me!! I was asleep the entire seminar?! As I calm down, I wonder why I was so worried. It's not like history of the Greek theatre is going  to help me with my music. I gather my belongings and head to the door only to be stopped by a girl I may have seen once or twice...I believed she is in my biology class. I think her name was Minzy...?

"Hey, your name is taekwoon right? I'm minzy and we have all our classes together!" Whoops...well to be fair I wasn't wrong about that biology class. "I was wondering if you wanted to maybe go out to get coffee one day and we could look over our notes for biology! I'm struggling a little bit and I could use some help" she says. I don't know what kind of game she's pulling, everyone in this god foresaken school should know I'm no good in nearly every subject. 

I see her smile widen until she starts laughing. I hear laughing behind me and these two guys whose names I could not care less for start making their way towards us with smiles on their faces. 

"Good one Minz! I think you actually had him going that you were serious about going out with you!" The three of them laugh and joke with each other. Screw these s. And my mom wonders why I don't have any friends here. Why would I waste my time on these idiots? I briskly pass through them and I'm out the door before I can hear any more of those nasty comments. 

On my way home taking my usual route, I notice the same boy I ran into this morning. He's no longer sleeping like he was when I left. No, instead he's sitting while holding a sign: A dollar for a song. A song? Wait how come this kid needs money? He's too young to be on the streets like that. Despite my usual coldness, the boy intrigues me and I feel my feet moving towards him before I could stop myself.

"Sing" I say simply. When he looks up at me, I finally get a good look at him. He has light brown hair, big, dark orbs which stare directly into my eyes, a larger nose, and big, pouty lips. His eyebrows are slanted in, showing his confusion. 

"I'm sorry?" He says. 

"Sing". I repeat. I want to know why he has this sign and why he would need the money. This is so unlike me I think to myself. And then, to my surprise, he begins singing. It's a song I don't recognize, but It has an older feeling to it. Perhaps his mother or father taught him this. Without realizing it, I close my eyes and listen to his honey-like voice. It's a little high, but you can hear the strength behind each word and feel the emotion he puts forth into his song. Too soon, silence surrounds me and I open my eyes to see him looking up at me with an expected expression. 

"You have a lovely voice" I say simply. I drop 5 dollars in his lap and walk away. God taekwoon that was weird. I wonder what compelled me to talk to that boy? Honestly, he just looked like an average guy, that is, until I heard him sing. His voice was intriguing and it made me want to hear him sing for ages and sing every song I know. I shake my head and open my apartment door. I lie down on my bed and drift off to sleep, the last thing in my head is of the boy looking up at me with that innocent face