Something Extra

Of Red Silk Sheets

A/N: This will just be an explanation of the story’s multiple symbols and lines. You don’t have to read this to enjoy the fic, I just felt like writing something to really describe this piece. This a piece I actually really like so I wanted to try to fully explain it. I didn’t explain all the symbolism because that would take forever but I did a decent amount. I also did a little bit on the characters. It provides a bit more insight on the characters and the story. Like I said before you don’t need to read this just something a little extra I wanted to add. 

 

NOT EDITED BECAUSE I’M EXTREMELY LAZY

 

Characters:

Cheolyong(Mir): The favorite and head of Changsun’s harem, having risen from the bottom to the top. He was rescued from his horrible conditions by Changsun because the emperor had taken an interest in him. He wanted to see what Cheolyong would become.

 

Sanghyun(Thunder): He is the consort of Changsun. Their marriage was purely political to get more forces for the war. He takes interest in Cheolyong.

 

Changsun(Joon): The emperor

 

Byunghee(GO): A “traveler” who sleeps with Seungho. Seemingly because he is interested in Seungho. But it is actually to get to know the castle and the people inside of it. He is from the opposing side, sent to assassinate key people in the war. He leaves his plans having fallen in love with Seungho in hopes that the man would catch him and stop him. He raises a false alarm of war and uses that to his advantage to kill. By the time Seungho discovers the plans its too late and Byunghee commits suicide.

 

Seungho: Favorite of the former emperor

 

 

_ _ _

 

Cheolyong’s golden locks are held back by an intricate jade clip, the man’s unmarred face is pensive hiding his constant turmoil.

 

I feel like Mir is always keeping up this happy facade so that people will really love him. When he isn’t laughing or being silly he’s a serious rapper. There isn’t very much dimension to who he is as a person, and you don’t really get to know him. It helps to maintain his image, but prevents everyone from really seeing whats going on.

_ _ _

“He’s stressed Changsun-ah,” the man says.

 

This in itself is pretty self explanatory, what idol isn’t stressed and under appreciated? But I think it also addresses the fact that idols are aware of their own stress, but they need that money. How else do you support a family and your own life? They continue to push themselves, relentlessly without rest. So maybe that’s one of the reasons he left, stress. He also could get better money on his own taking more opportunities to further improve himself.

_ _ _

“Whether it be pity or personal interests, I am grateful that I have been saved from the hell hole that was my previous life,” Cheolyong says.

 

One of the reasons I think Mir has yet to leave, trainee years were hell. He trained so hard to get there and he’s had a taste of success. Once you have that taste you want it again, its a dream. Whether he started with the dream to become a successful rapper or not he is one(in my opinion). Again with money, no matter how rich or well off your family is you can’t rely on it forever. Wealth isn’t limitless and neither is youth or fame.

_ _ _

Seungho in his breath as he watches his lover climb up the red silk rope made out of his silken bedsheets.

 

The silk sheets are representative of the path to fame. The makeshift silk rope isn’t really a rope, indicating that the path isn’t exactly secure, the climb is also steep and long. Seungho holds his breath in fear of what can happen. He knows how scary the path to fame is. The red is also representative of luck and death. Red can represent luck but it can also represent death. Reaching the top is lucky but falling off is deadly. It’s lucky to reach the top of fame but once you fall you basically die.

_ _ _

Seungho was the favorite of the previous emperor and Changsun would see him around quite often.

 

You often hear how idol groups disappear or disband after five years. MBLAQ is falling out of favor in the music industry. Like how Seungho used to be a favorite of the emperor, MBLAQ used to be a favorite. The industry is a fickle creature, you can’t be the favorite forever without some type of sacrifice. Not everyone is willing to make it and they shouldn’t be. It is their own decision to sacrifice whatever they need to; to remain popular. Most of the time its family, love, and a bunch of personal things. Things that shouldn’t need to be sacrificed.

_ _ _

Changsun had taken a liking to Seungho, he lay with the elder man not in lust but in curiosity.

 

Testing the waters. Almost like Changsun becoming a singer not because he had an intense need to become a popular singer but because he wanted to know what its like. Not that he didn’t have a desire to become a singer. But it wasn’t a burning focus of his life; it wasn’t enough of a desire that he would sacrifice a potential successful acting career.

_ _ _

Then Changsun had gotten engaged, with a foreigner nonetheless, it was quite obviously a strategic move.

 

Then again Thunder and Joon’s transition could have been a strategic move. In Joon’s case there was more potential of success in acting, it would boost his career. Thunder’s departure could also be strategic, to further himself. He felt that being in a group wasn’t as beneficial for him.

_ _ _

His worries less of love and more on the safety of his people.

 

Their worries could be more focused on money. Fiscal safety ensuring more benefits, especially in Joon’s case. He could get more money as an actor.

_ _ _

His eyes widen in horror at the meaning of the papers spread out on his desk. Then almost sloppily on a smaller scrap of paper is, “I’m sorry.”

 

The papers are representative of Joon and Thunder’s plans to leave. It doesn’t seem to be very much, just a mere apology and a vague plan for the future.

_ _ _

Seungho runs frantically through the halls, trying to find someone, anyone to tell what had happened. But the halls were covered in blood, the halls stained red. Seungho reads the papers, trying to find a clue to where people would be.

 

Seungho trying to find someone to rely on to tell what is going on only to find everyone gone. Or how society has quickly moved on from their situation; accepting it, accepting the “death” or the loss of two members. Seungho desperately reads the papers trying to put things together. Whether or not a future for the rest of them exists or if it is stained with “death.”

_ _ _

Their eyes flicker open,”Live,” Sanghyun says.

 

“I love you-” Changsun says coughing blood,”my precious best friend.” Both their eyes shut, first Sanghyun, then shortly after Changsun.

 

Both still love the band dearly and want it to continue. Both of them still “die” though or leave the group.

_ _ _

Seungho stops running, out of breath, his breath stops as he comes across the hastily thrown open doors of the ballroom. He follows a faint trail of blood that seems to come from the war room out to the balcony. Seungho notices the red of his sheets, and bile seems to come up in his throat. He peers over and cries, the man that he had loved hung from his red sheets.

 

He follows what is left or the trail of “death” and he finds that a future with the five of them together hangs dead. They were hung by their own possible luck.