Chapter 15

Hope and Chances

You were startled awake when you felt a hand lightly shake your shoulder.
"Breakfast is done."
In response, you pulled the blanket up and covered your head. Not that you had to deter him from doing anything more as you heard him walk out of the room. With a sigh, you poked your head out to watch the time go by.
When you knew Yongguk and Jaewoo would be gone, you kicked the covers off and climbed off the bed. You made your way to the kitchen and was momentarily confused when you didn't see a plate on the table.
Biting your lip, you shuffled over to the microwave and opened the door. You found your plate inside it and covered in foil to make sure it stayed warm. Feeling a small, painful twinge in your heart, you took the plate out and went over to the table to eat.

You caught up on your mails and finished reading through the last of the proposals you needed to. You sat the last binder in to the box with the others. Except the one Jaewoo had ruined of course. It was still sitting on your desk as a reminder to get a new copy from the office on Monday.
At that point your alarm on your phone went off and you dismissed it. Glancing at the time, you debated on whether you were picking up Jaewoo or not. Yongguk made a point to get him yesterday so was he planning on picking him up today? If he wasn't though, you couldn't exactly leave Jaewoo at the school.
With a heavy sigh, you stood up and hurried to the bedroom. You threw on some clothes before going to the living room. Just as you slipped on your shoes and opened the front door, you got a text message on your phone. "Can you pick up Jaewoo?"
You rolled your eyes as you closed the front door and locked it behind you. Then you sent a snide reply, "So now you trust me around your son?"
A few seconds later, "Can you just get him please."
In your mind, you pictured Yongguk glaring at the phone. But then you stopped yourself from sending anymore snide remarks and eased his mind instead, "I'm already heading to the school."
When you arrived at the school, you went to the playground and spotted the little boy on the equipment. "Jaewoo!" you called out.
He stopped and turned to face you. Then you noticed how his shoulders drooped a little before he slowly got down and went over to get his bag. It was obvious to you that he was disappointed about you picking him up instead of Yongguk.
You didn't say anything though and neither did Jaewoo as he came over to you. The two of you walked home silently like always.

At home, Jaewoo ran over to the coffee table and picked up his stuff dinosaur. He clutched it tightly to him before taking off down the hallway. You rolled your eyes at his behavior but mentally told yourself that you should be use to it by now.
You went to the workroom and checked to see if you got any new emails. You double checked a few things, passing the time.
When you were finished, you decided to do some housework before starting dinner. So you stood up and went to your bedroom to grab a load of laundry to wash. As you stepped into the room though, you stopped abruptly when you saw Jaewoo standing by your bedside table.
"What are you doing?" you questioned, confused.
He jumped a little as if he hadn't heard you enter the room and turned to you. That's when you noticed what he was holding in his hands. Instantly your eyes widened as your heart skipped a beat. "Put that back." you ordered and hurried over to him.
Instead, the little boy made to dash past you with the little picture in his hands. You went to grab him but he slipped out of your hands and then ran out the door.
"Jaewoo!" you yelled and quickly chased after him.
You followed him to the living room where he suddenly stopped and turned to face you. Then he held the ultrasound picture up with both hands, as if he was going to tear it.
You froze, stopping a couple of feet from him. Your heart hammered in your chest as you stared at the precious photo. "Please Jaewoo." you uttered, begging him. "Give it back. Please."
His eyes narrowed and he gave you that cold, harsh glare from before. Then he moved his hands.
The sound of the paper ripping was deafening to your ears and your mouth dropped open. He let the two pieces go and the fluttered to hit the floor the same time your knees did. You knelt on the floor, eyes watering as you felt your body go numb. You stared at the little boy in disbelief as he glared you.
"Jaewoo."
The boy's eyes widened and he quickly looked at the front door. You turned your head and looked as well, seeing Yongguk standing there. Your husband stared at the boy, his eyes wide in shock as well, before turning his head to meet your gaze. Then you turned away and looked down at the floor, at the remains of the ultrasound picture.
Just as you felt the tears begin to fall, you felt your husband's arms around you. He held your shaking body tightly as you cried.

You weren't sure how long you were on the floor and crying until the tears finally stopped. You just slowly became aware of your surroundings a little bit at the time. Including the fact that your husband was still holding you.
You shifted and he let you go just enough so you could move. You reached over and picked up the two pieces of the picture before standing up.
"Honey." Yongguk murmured, standing as well and reaching for you.
You stepped away from him and shuffled towards the hallway. Then you felt him grab your arm and you yanked it away before turning to glare at him. "Don't touch me." you hissed.
His eyes widened in surprise before his face softened and his shoulders dropped. "I'm sorry." he quietly uttered.
You dismissed his apology and turned away from him. Then you continued down the hallway to the workroom. Slamming the door behind you, you went over to your desk and sat down. Your hands shook as you carefully set the two pieces down on top of your desk. You took a deep breath to help steady them before reaching over for the tape. You set about putting the two pieces back together as meticulously as you could.
When you were finished, you smoothly ran your hand over the tiny picture. Except for the tape marks, you could barely tell it had been ripped. It would have to be good enough. You chewed on your bottom lip as you thought about where you could hide it. Some place where Jaewoo wouldn't be able to reach.
You stood and carefully picked the picture up. Being as quiet as possible, you opened the workroom door and peeked down the hallway. It was empty so you left the room and silently went to the bedroom. It was empty as well and you hurried over to the bathroom.
You opened the medicine cabinet and saw the spot that once held the ovulation calendar. You set the picture there and moved a couple of things in front of it so it couldn't fall out of the cabinet. Then you closed the door and let out the breath you had been holding.
When you went back into the bedroom, you eyed your bed before going over to your dresser. You grabbed some pyjamas and went to the bathroom once more. You took a quick shower, intent on hiding under the blanket as soon as possible.
As you moved the curtain back, you noticed the door open and Yongguk entered the bathroom. "Honey." he said. Then his eyes narrowed a little as he looked downwards.
You glanced down and saw the bruise on your leg that was still healing. Then you grabbed the towel and wrapped it around you. "That's where Jaewoo kicked me." you flatly informed him and stepped out of the tub.
His eyes widened in surprise at that and he took a step towards you.
"Get out." you quickly demanded, causing him to stop his approach.
"Honey." he said again, reaching for you.
"I said get out!" you shouted at him. Then you turned your back to him as you began to dry yourself off.
After a few moments, you finally heard him leave and close the door. You let out a small sigh and finished drying yourself. Then you put your pyjamas on before leaving the bathroom as well.
Yongguk was sitting on the edge of the bed and you stopped abruptly when you saw him. He lifted his head and you noticed how red his eyes were.
"I'm sorry." he croaked out before his lips. "I'm so sorry."
You pressed your lips together and didn't say anything to him. You could feel your eyes watering once more though, tears threatening to spill again.
He stood up and gave you a pleading look. "What can I do to fix this?" he questioned. "What do you need me to do?"
"What I need you to do?" you echoed back in disdain. "I don't need you do to anything. I need my husband. The one who supported me and believed what I said. And that's not you."
His jaw shook as a tear rolled down his cheek. "Honey." he whined and went to you.
You brushed roughly past him and towards the bed. You climbed in and pulling the blanket up, burying yourself under it.
Tense silence filled the room until you felt the bed dip. "He won't tell me why he did it." Yongguk quietly stated. "He won't talk to me at all. He ignores me."
You swallowed. "Good." you declared venomously. "Now you're feeling a little of what I felt."
More silence and a twisting feeling filled your gut. Then you felt him lightly touch your side before pulling his hand back. He stood up and walked out of the room, leaving you alone.