Realization

High School Prince

On the wall, was a blue crayon scribbling that read, Jacky Loves Wendy. I felt like fainting into his arms.

"But why now...?" I asked. He could have told me this so long ago.

"Because, today is when you are going to go..."

"No," I interrupted. "Why didn't you tell me this before? We could have... could have... been together." I sobbed into his chest. My tears was wetting his shirt.

"It was complicated then..." Jacky murmurred. 

"What was so complicated?" I didn't want it to end here. I wanted to know why he was dating Lena.

"Okay, well. I met Lena at the park one day. We became good friends. She invited me over to play at her house the next day. The next morning though, I ran late. I decided to take my bike. On my way to her place, I was in such a rush, I crashed into someone. That someone was Lena. She was going to go look for me because I hadn't arrived. Her injuries was quite major though. Her body collapsed onto the road and she nearly got ran over. My family was then deeply in debt so we couldn't afford any charges. I decided to make a promise to Lena. I promised that I would be with her until high school ended. I know, it was a stupid wish. But my family..." Jacky then stopped talking and he looked so mournful.

"I'm sorry..." I started.

"Sorry for what?" he tried to laugh but it came out hoarsely.

"For reminding you..." I replied. I then leaned my head on his shoulder.

"Just two more years." I said.

"What about Lena?" I suddenly thought.

"She doesn't really like me... She was the one who rat my family out." I thought of this for a whlie. But all her threatening and her tears... I believed that she only wanted Jacky for the popularity...

"Yep. But I'll make a promise to you too." Jacky took my arms and put it on his shoulders and looked me in the eye.

"Better not be a stupid one," I reminded. He laughed heartily this time.

"I promise that I'll follow you. Doesn't matter what University or college you get in after high school, I'll follow you." Jacky was so serious. I've never seen him like this...

"That was a stupid promise," I began, laughing. "But, I'll be waiting for you."

"Remember to visit every holiday," he added.

"I will."

"Send me e-mails or better yet, letters," he continued.

"I will."

"I'd be sure to respond. I might even buy you presents..." Before Jacky continued, I did a surprising thing. I kissed him. Jacky's lips weren't moving at first but soon, he pressed his lips against mine also.

Afterwards, he went into my room to grab his present.

"Open it," he urged.

"Okay." I took out the tissue paper and finally got to the final package. I was in awe.

"You didn't steal this right?" I joked. Jacky shook his head no,

It was a pendant. Those heart pendants that were split in two with the words engraved, J + W = Love. My part said J + and the letters Lo.

"You better hide it from Lena," I warned, chuckling.

Jacky responded, "of course." And took me in for a final kiss.

There were many promises that were made that night. Some were vital and some were small. I wonder which one would be broken. I wish though, that each promise would be fullfilled.

"Remember the promise," I whispered into Jacky ear before he left. "Remember."