Emotion no.2

Emotionless

Today was different. Sumin came home from work as usual, entering that small apartment she lived with her mother and sister, she noticed an extra pair of shoes outside of her house. Judging from the size of the shoe, it clearly belongs to a man, a rich man. It was impossible to not notice that that pair of shoe was a branded, a Tods shoes. Before Sumin father left, they came from a well-to-do family, so it was no surprise that she knew all her branded brands well. Removing her shoes, she entered the barely decorated living room. Seating there was her mother, her sister and this unknown guy. He was in his fifties and was wearing a suit. No doubt, the shoes belonged to him.

“I didn’t know we were having guess today.” Sumin stated after bowing to the man. No matter how surprised or how weird the atmosphere felt, Sumin still have her manners.

“This is Sumin! My eldest daughter!” Her mother exclaimed.

This was then when Sumin realized that the man’s hand is on her mother’s shoulder. Sumin turned to look at her younger sister and she was happily eating a cake, a expensive looking cake that they used to eat before her father ran away.

“Take a seat Sumin! Meet your new father! He was very excited to meet you after hearing I told him about what a smart and hardworking girl you are!” Her mother said with gusto, a genuine smile plastered on her face.

Sumin’s eyes widen as her jaw drop, even she couldn’t maintain a poker face.

“How long do you even know him? Did you think about us? Or at least think about Hyemin? This is so sudden.”  Sumin said, raising her voice.

“In matter of fact, your mother did. I can provide you all with good education and make up for the lack of a male presence. I really like your mother.” The guy, Sumin’s new father, said.

 His voice was much deeper or calmer than what Sumin expected.

“ Sumin, i thought about you two so much! I even talked to him about you guys and your futures! I, no, we decided that it was best for us to get married, and we will move into his house and you guys will change to private schooling, for better education. Your new father suggested it, with the thought of his two daughters in his mind.” Her mother said, softening up.

“If you are worried that I’m already some married guy or have many different girlfriends, there are no such things. My wife died 4 years back, and I ever since then, the only person who caught my eyes was your mother. At how different she was from all those hostess in the bar. She was the only one who never stoop so low and earn extras by selling her body. She hid the fact that she worked at the night market after her job at the bar. She brings an extra set of clothes just to make sure that you guys will not smell the scent of fished. She’s a hardworking woman and I just want to provide her and her love ones the best.” Her new father said, while tightening his grip on Sumin’s mother hand.

Letting out a deep sigh, Sumin nodded her head. The worried face of her mother immediately lightened up to a bright smile. Her mother then began explaining that they will be moving to live with him and all those changes in their life.

While her mother sent her husband out, Sumin turned to her younger sister.

“Are you okay with it, Hyemin?” Sumin softened as she asked.

“Yes! That uncle is really nice and he makes mummy very happy too!” Her sister said with a proud look in her face.

“I guess it’s for the best then.” Sumin thought as she hugged her sister tightly.