Genetics

Sunflower Girl

I woke up, the lights above me shining so brightly that I had to squint my eyes slightly.

"Miss Park?" a voice called out from beside me.

I saw a slight shadow and slowly my vision cleared and I saw a doctor beside me. Slowly, I sat up but he softly leaned me back down by pressingly slightly on my shoulders.

"No, you should lean back and relax since you hit your head first when you fainted," he said.

"Um... Fainted?" I asked, my voice sounding dazed.

"Yes. You fainted in the waiting room just an hour ago. Now that you're awake, could you please follow me to do a brain scan?" he asked suddenly.

"Huh?" I asked, still trying to grasp what was happening.

"You hit your head so we have to scan your brain to see if there is anything wrong," he explained.

"Oh... Um... I don't have a money for a brain scan," I said as I sat up slowly.

"Since you fainted in the hospital, the fee for the brain scan will be subsidised so you don't have to worry, Miss Park," he said politely.

I hesitated for a few more moments but decided to give in since he seemed nice and I didn't want him to get into trouble for not doing his work right.

 

EVENING...

JINYOUNG'S POV

"Ah~" the 7 of us sighed happily once we were back in the van.

"Finally, I get to go home!" Youngjae cheered from behind me.

"Oh!" I gasped when I remembered I was supposed to check up on Myunghee and Cheonsa.

"I guess you can go over when Manager Hyung leaves the dorm at 10pm," JB whispered from beside me.

LATER ON...

I knocked on the door and Myunghee opened the door... with a patch on the side of her head.

"Yah! What happened?!" I asked as she opened the door.

"Ah~ I fell!" she said rather light-heartedly.

"Aish... This girl..." I muttered under my breath.

"APPA!!!" Cheonsa cheered as she ran to me and hugged my legs.

I lifted her off the ground, blew on her stomach, making her laugh before settling her in my arms.

"Appa! Me and Omma hospital!" she exclaimed as I sat her on the floor beside her toys in her room.

My eyes widened at the word 'hospital'.

"Well, why were you there, Angel?" I asked.

"Cheonsa sick in school! Then Omma sleep on floor!" she explained.

Her reason wasn't in perfect language... but I understood just fine.

"Ah~ I see so doctor had to help Omma as well?" I asked, as simply as possible.

"Yes~" she replied.

 

I was washing the dishes when I felt a pair of arms around my waist and I knew right away that it was Jinyoung. I smiled a little as I turned to the side and saw him leaning his chin on my shoulder. He seemed to be in deep thought.

"What are you thinking about?" I asked as I finally finished rinsing the last plate in the sink.

"Angel told me she went to the hospital today," he revealed and a chill went down my spine.

"Is that true?" he asked.

With a sigh, I nodded and he slowly pulled away from me. I turned around and leaned my lower back at the edge of the sink.

"She was having a fever so I rushed her to the A&E. The doctor said that she was fine but I guess I was too stressed that I fainted," I explained, trying to make it seem like it was nothing.

However I could tell I wasn't doing a good job seeing that his eyes widened.

"Why didn't you call me?" he asked furiously.

"Because I forgot, okay? I'm so used to doing things alone and I forgot... besides I didn't want you to rush over during your schedule," I explained.

"Myunghee, I'd prefer rushing over to the hospital to see my family safe rather than doing my work," he said as he came over and held onto my hands.

"Okay... I'm sorry..." I apologized.

"Just... don't do it again, okay?" he said with a sigh and I nodded.

"And you fainted?" he asked.

"Oh, yeah I got a brain scan. They'll be calling me in a couple days time. Oh! I placed your number as the next person to call if I didn't get the call," I recalled.

"Oh, okay then~ If I get the news then I'll tell you ASAP," he said.

"But Myunghee... I'm serious. You have to tell me if ANYTHING is wrong," he said firmly.

"Okay... I will," I said reassuringly.

 

TWO WEEKS LATER...

JINYOUNG'S POV

Everything had been going more than well for me and Myunghee. I was balanced between being an idol and supporting my family. My relationship with my parents have improved tremendously as well. Yet nothing had gotten me ready for the storm that was coming. I was having my off day and as promised from the night before, Myunghee and I were going to have a date, of course with me wearing a snapback and glasses with my head hung low most of the time when we're out.

I finally found the cafe that Myunghee was at and saw her just staring blankly into space with a hot cup of coffee in front of her. Smiling, I placed my hand on her shoulder, giving her a startle before placing a quick peck on her nose.

"I was right in front of you and you couldn't see me!" I teased as I sat down and flashed a mischievous smile at her.

However, she was acting strange... there wasn't a smile on her face and what was worse was that I could tell something was wrong.

"Yah... Are you okay? Did somethig happen to Cheonsa?" I asked worriedly.

She shook her head and then stopped.

"Okay... Then what is it?" I asked, getting more worried.

"I... um... I got a call from the doctor who took my brain scan," she stuttered.

"... And?" I asked, bracing myself for some bad news.

"He said he... he found something in my brain and he needs to meet me today," she explained monotonously.

"Alright... At what time?" I asked.

"... In 10 minutes..." she said, the same expressionless face.

"Well, what are we waiting for? Lets go," I said as I got ready to stand up.

However she held out her hand and placed her hand on my hand which was on the table. I looked down to my hand and then back to her. Finally she looked up at me and into my eyes.

"Lets not," she said, her eyes getting teary.

"Yah, if there is something wrong, we have to know about it," I said firmly.

"Jinyoung, please..." she begged.

However, I placed my hands at my sides, letting her hand touch the table.

"I'm going... If you want to follow me then its your choice... but this is about your life and your health. I'm not going to just ignore this and regret it afterwards," I argued as I left the cafe.

I was in the doctor's office, waiting for the doctor as he went off to get the scans. Myunghee followed me to the hospital but refused to come in with me.

"Park... Jinyoung? I presume that you're Park Myunghee's husband?" the doctor asked as he sat down in front of me with a folder in his hands.

"Um... We have a daughter but... we're not married. Also, we just coincidentally have the same surname," I explained.

"Ah... Where is Miss Park if I may ask?" he asked.

"Outside. She's worried about the results, I suppose," I replied.

The doctor replied with a sigh... making me tense.

"Is anything wrong?" I asked.

"Um... Does anyone in Miss Park's family have any diseases?" he asked suddenly.

I started rubbing my hands together nervously.

"Um... Her mother had cancer... she dies when Myunghee was small," I recalled.

"Oh... um... I deeply regret to inform you that Myunghee has a tumor in her brain... due to genetics," the doctor said suddenly.

Then just like that, my dreams of being happy for a long time with Myunghee shattered.

"What?" I asked in disbelief.

"Its a benign tumor. Its minor in usual cases however in Miss Park's case, her tumor growing near her the major blood vessels in her brain and its located at the center of her brain," he said carefully.

"Okay um... Chemotherapy? Brain... surgery?" I asked, desperate to find a solution.

"Chemotherapy wouldn't work on her since her immune system is weak and since her tumor is deep inside her brain, surgery could cause permanent damage or death," he explained as calmly as possible.

No words could express how helpless I felt. I placed her hands at the sides of my head and leaned my elbows on my knees, trying to pull myself together.

"So what do I do, huh? Let her die slowly?" I asked, furious as I looked him back in the eye.

"No... Let her live peacefully," he answered.