One-Shot

Someone like Him

Yongguk didn't notice it at first.

He thought maybe Daehyun was just tired, they've been working non-stop after all. Or maybe he fought with Youngjae. Or maybe he felt homesick, he hasn't seen his family in months. That could explain why he wasn't talking as much as he used to, or why his appetite reduced considerably, eating sometimes even less than Yongguk himself. Whatever it was, Yongguk wasn't going to pry into it, he never liked involving himself in other people's problems, that wasn't his place. Junghong had told him about Daehyun being off these last few days and not telling anyone why, not even Kang or Youngjae. But Yongguk didn't want to invade the younger's privacy like that, what if Daehyun didn't even want to talk to him? He thought it would be better to wait and see if he opened up to someone, anyone, about what was bothering him.

But the day he saw the faintest of tears escape the vocalist's eyes in their prep room, he knew something was very wrong. The wet trace was gone in a blink, he was sure none of the other members noticed it, but there was no smile to cover it up, not even during their performance. They were idols, they had to show their best faces for the cameras, regardless of how they felt. And if there was someone good in B.A.P at doing it, it was Daehyun, always smiling, always laughing out loud and giving his best. What could possibly be so wrong with him that he couldn't even put up that perfect façade he had mastered?

Still, Yongguk kept quiet and didn't confront Daehyun about it. And if he had to admit it, he was scared. Daehyun wasn't one to need comforting, and on the rare occasions that he did, either Himchan or Youngjae were there. Yongguk knew that he wasn't someone easy to live and spend every waking minute with, he also knew that if someone had a harder time to cope with it, it was Daehyun. Their personalities were too different, fortunately, the members were a great buffer that avoided any problem, apart from the fact that, in terms of musical talent, the younger looked up to the leader like a priest to his God. Yongguk had nothing against Daehyun, he was his brother as much as the others and he was ever thankful for having him in B.A.P, but their differences made it difficult for them to become intimate. He had never even tried to comfort the vocalist before.

That's why he found himself at a crossroad. No one had seen that tear, no one really knew how bad Daehyun's situation was, not even Yongguk himself, though he had a closer idea than the rest. He couldn't tell anyone else he had caught that, Daehyun surely didn't want anyone to see it. Should he confront his donseng himself or should he wait for him to tell someone he felt more comfortable talking to? 

A few days later, Youngjae approached him. 

"I don't know what's wrong with him, hyung." Youngjae told him while they watched Daehyun on stage testing his mic and earbud for their presentation. "I've noticed and I know you have too, we all have. But he won't tell me, I asked him yesterday and he said he was fine, just tired. But we've all seen Daehyun tired and we know he's not like that. I've wanted to ask him again but I'm afraid he will just get upset or something for insisting. Himchan hyung has tried too but he didn't do any better than I did, Junghong and Jongup want to do something as well but I'm not sure how he'll react to so much insistence on our part."

Yongguk only nodded at the younger's words, given that he wasn't going to talk, Youngjae kept going. "Don't ever tell him I told you this, but I'm starting to get worried about him. This is not like him, he is not even trying to hide it for the fans." So Yongguk hadn't been the only one noticing those little things, he mentally face palmed himself. Of course he wasn't the only one, he probably was the last to notice, including the fans. With him being too wrapped up within his own thoughts most of the time, he sometimes felt like he neglected his role as leader.

"Hyung." Youngjae pulled Yongguk out of his thoughts. "I'm telling you this because...I thought...that maybe..you could speak to him?" Youngjae looked up at the older with expectant eyes. "You're the leader, and he respects you like you have no idea, so there's no way he can get mad at you or brush you off. Maybe he'll tell you, hyung."

Yongguk just placed a hand on Youngjae's shoulder. "I don't know if I will get any response from Daehyun, I'm not as close to him as you are, you know?" Youngjae looked down and kept quiet for a few seconds before speaking again. "That's not true, hyung. I mean, yeah, we are pretty close but so are you. It's just different, but that doesn't mean it's any weaker. I know Daehyun, and he relies on you a lot, more than he does on any of us. He just doesn't like to show it, him and his damn pride." Both chuckled a bit at that, yeah, Daehyun could be very proud and stubborn.

"Okay, I'll talk to him." Yongguk said, while Youngjae looked at him with grateful eyes. "But I need to wait a little bit, it's just going to be harder if I ask him right after both you and Himchan did." Daehyun had finished testing his mic and was walking towards them so the younger just managed a whisper near Yongguk's ear. "Just don't wait too long, hyung. I don't want him to break."

-

When he saw that picture Daehyun posted on Twitter, he knew he had waited too long. The vocalist didn't even like to tell the members when he was sad, and for him to openly admit it to their fans that way...Yongguk felt like crap. Daehyun had closed within himself and the older couldn't help but feel guilty for that, perhaps, if he had been a better leader, Daehyun might have felt like he could rely on him more, like a donseng should. 

So, after finishing their presentation and cleaning himself at his own room, he knocked on Daehyun and Youngjae's shared one. Unsurprisingly, the younger vocalist opened the door.
"Hyung!" Youngjae said enthusiastically. "What are you doing here so late?" There was no trace of anger on the younger' voice, of course, just curiosity. 

"Himchan wants you to go to our room for a moment, he said he's got something for you." This was all made up, obviously, but Youngjae got the hang of it right away. He spared a glance at Daehyun, who was lying on his bed, back to the door, and left.

Yongguk entered the room, neater than the rest as it was Daehyun's habit to keep both his and Youngjae's things in order, though not as clean as it normally is. A couple of shirts were on the floor and the shoes were sprawled between the beds. Their TV was on, probably Youngjae in an attempt to avoid the silence so rare in their room. Daehyun hadn't moved from his position, he either hadn't noticed Yongguk, had noticed and decided not to acknowledge it, or he had fallen asleep.

Yongguk grabbed the remote from the nightstand between both beds and turned the device off. At the lack of sounds, Daehyun turned around, his eyes widening when they met Yongguk's. 

"Hyung" the weakness in his voice was so palpable Yongguk wondered if it was really Daehyun speaking. The younger turned around to face the leader properly, but was still lying on his bed, tucked under the covers. He made no attempt to speak again and avoided Yongguk's eyes as he sat on the bed next to the singer.

"Hey, Daehyunnie." He put his hand on what he assumed was Daehyun's arm under the sheets and gave him a light squeeze. But before he could speak again, Daehyun beat him to it. "If you're going to ask me what's going on like Youngjae and Himchan hyung did then I can tell you I'm fine, hyung. I'm very tired and I want to sleep or my throat won't be good enough for tomorrow. I'm sorry you had to leave your room and sacrifice your sleep time for this." His voice was still weak but the intention of the tone was clear enough.

What had Youngjae said about Daehyun not snapping at him because he was the leader? He quickly brushed that thought off and held tightly to the younger's arm as he attempted to turn around again. Daehyun sighed and repositioned himself, this time sitting cross-legged on the bed. Yongguk said nothing and just stared into Daehyun's eyes, not too long since the singer quickly averted his stare down, but long enough to see all the emotions running wild within Daehyun, but caged in him. 

Anger, frustration, exhaustion, sadness, and something else Yongguk couldn't quite pinpoint. 

He suddenly knew what Daehyun needed.

Yongguk's hand moved from Daehyun's arm to his shoulder. "No. That's not why I'm here." Daehyun looked up in surprise at his hyung. "I'm here...to ask you for forgiveness" Daehyun's eyes seemed about to pop out of his sockets. "I know there's something going on. I don't know what it is, but I know it's there. And, maybe...if I had been a better leader, a better hyung to you, you would have found the reassurance to tell me, or anyone, what happened, since you would have known you can count on us for anything. I'm sorry I failed you like this Daehyunnie, I'm sorry I didn't notice it earlier and I'm sorry you felt like there was no other way but to keep everything within you. And I'm sorry you felt like nobody could comfort you. You have no idea how sorry I am."

Daehyun's eyes were sparkling with tears, Yongguk opened his arms slightly and Daehyun just leaned in, resting his head on the leader's shoulder, face against his shirt, not hugging him back but letting the tears flow freely. 

This was what Daehyun needed. Not someone to tell his problems to, but someone who could hold him without asking questions, someone who could let him release all his emotions without saying a word. Someone to tell him that he would get through everything and be himself once again. Someone like Yongguk.

And without him noticing, the older's cheeks started to stain with his own tears as well. They stayed like that until all the crying worn Daehyun out and fell asleep a little before sunrise, Yongguk just sat on Youngjae's bed afterwards, guarding the other's sleep.

-

He left little before they had to wake up, careful not to alert Daehyun. He didn't wake Youngjae -who had stayed in his room- and Himchan until he absolutely had to, rejoicing on every minute of solitude he could have. Curious how he didn't feel a bit tired even after such an emotionally draining night. 

When he got into the van, his phone vibrated with a message.

You have nothing to apologize for, hyung. I always thought you were the best leader we could have and you proved it yesterday. Thank you.


------

A/N: Yeah, it wasn't much but I don't really want to come up with a theory as of why Daehyun has been like this, so I just made our leader comfort him without inquiring on the matter.

Well, I hope you liked it!