Lovers

As Luck Would Have It
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 ☆ The Present  ☆

 

"You're Nemo."  It wasn't a question.  Hyukjae didn't need confirmation, he already knew it was true.  Donghae didn't say anything as the brunette gazed into his almond shaped eyes.  "Did you know it was me this whole time?  How come you never said anything?!"

"Because I was cursed.  I didn't want you to get stuck with a cursed boyfriend.  I didn't know you'd break the spell on our very first date!"

"Why did you flirt with me and ask me to marry you then?"

"I dunno.  It's hard to fight Fate."

"Wait... if you took your luck back from me... doesn't that mean I'm going to be cursed now?!"

"I thought you don't believe in curses?"

"Yeah, well that was before I was almost run over by a taxi."

"I don't think it means you're cursed, it just means you're not lucky anymore.  Don't worry though, because now you have me to save you.  Just like when the taxi drove by and just like when we were little."

"So... now what happens?"

"Now we go home and have twenty years worth of makeup ."

"Food first."

Donghae only had to think about it for half a second.  "Okay, tacos first!"

 

 ☆

 

Hyukjae watched Donghae inhale three tacos in record time.  He took a drink of cola to wash it all down before smiling happily at the older man.  "So I've always wanted to know why you became a doctor when you're afraid of needles?  You were scared of the thought of even going to a hospital back then."

"I guess it's because I've never been sick since then, so there is no reason for me to be afraid anymore."

"Probably because you stole my luck.  What are you going to do when you start getting sick like a normal person?"

"I guess I'll just let you take care of me until I feel better," Hyukjae said with a shrug.

"I get to be the doctor?" Donghae asked with a sly smile.  Hyukjae rolled his eyes and stuffed another taco into the brunette's mouth.  He made a mess as he tried to laugh and swallow at the same time.  "Okay, so I get that you're not afraid, but why did you choose to become a doctor?"

"I told you when we were little.  It's because I want to survive when zombies take over the world."

"You make fun of me because I believe in magic and mystical powers, but you still think aliens are going to turn us into zombies and take over the world?"

"Don't be ridiculous.  Alien's would probably just blast us with ray guns.  The zombie apocalypse is going to start with a virus designed by humans.  It's going to happen any day now, so aren't you glad you're dating a doctor?"

"Hmm... but what about the aliens?  Aren't you glad you're dating an astronomer?  I'll be able to see them coming, know their weaknesses, and keep them from blasting you with their mind powers... or ray guns, or whatever."

"You're an astronomer?"

"Did you think I was a dancer or something?  With my bad luck I probably would have broken every bone in my body.  I had to do something that wasn't going to kill me.  As it was, I was hit by lightning twice just for staring at a perfectly clear sky!  Plus, I already loved stars from when I was young.  Remember all the stories I told you when we were little?"

"Yes.  I remember."

"So... we're pretty much covered then when the apocalypse hits.  That's good to know."

"We're a perfect match."

 

Back at home, Bada was wagging her tail and barking at the urn as it rattled on the mantle.  The stardust that Hyukjae had cherished and protected for most of his life was regenerating into a celestial rock once again.  Whole and everlasting.

 

 ☆

 

Donghae was skipping happily at Hyukjae's side as they made their way back to the apartment.  Finally, he was going to get his true love into bed.  He was trying to remember if there was a store nearby so he could purchase a few necessities, condoms, lube, whipped cream, cherries... the basics, when Hyukjae's phone rang. 

The slender man frowned at his phone when he saw the caller ID.  "Sorry Hae, it's the hospital.  I need to answer it."

"It's fine," Donghae pouted.  From what he could hear from Hyukjae's side of the conversation and the looks the older man was giving him, he knew he wasn't going to like the news.  His steps lost their happy bounce and he began dragging his feet as they walked.

"The ER is short staffed and they need me to work," Hyukjae announced after hanging up the phone.

"Oh."

"Are you pouting right now?  You used to refuse care and make me come in on my days off all the time!"

"Yeah well... that was me!  How many true loves do you have anyway?"

Hyukjae stopped and faced the brunette.  He slid his hands over Donghae's hips and pulled the younger man close.  "I have one."  He gave his boyfriend a peck on the lips, then another, and another, until the brunette stopped pouting.  "I'm sorry.  It's a part of my job."

"I know, it's fine."  Donghae threaded his fingers through Hyukjae's and held his hand as they walked back to the apartment.  "I need to do some shopping anyway."

 

 ☆

 

Hyukjae was in the middle of wrapping a young patient's broken finger when a nurse came over and tapped him on the shoulder.  "Dr. Lee, Lee Donghae is here again."

"I'm too busy to talk to him at the moment.  Will you tell him I'll be home soon?"

"No, he didn't come to visit, he's here as a patient."

"What?!  But he's supposed to be lucky now!"  Hyukjae accidently pulled too hard on the bandage he was wrapping and the child groaned in pain.  "Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry," he chanted while standing up and sitting the nurse down in his place, then he shoved the bandage into the nurse's hand.  "Where is he?  Is he okay?"  Hyukjae was already heading for the door as he listened for answers. 

"I'm not sure what's wrong.  He's waiting for you in consultation room 3.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter