Unexpected

Unexpected

To say Jonghyun was angry was an understatement. He was completely furious. Everyone that walked by him could feel the rage emanating from him because he wasn’t afraid to show it. Being kicked out of his own room at night just because his roommate - that was also his best friend - couldn’t control the urge of being with his girlfriend - more known as his sister. 

Hyung, understand, we would be bothering her friend. Minho had said, holding Gwiboon’s hand in his.

Jonghyun scoffed, kicking a can and making it hit the wall. 

Instead, they bothered him. Such disrespectful people they were. 

Usually Jonghyun liked the both of them, even spending time with the two when they invited him to dinner or to study. But not tonight. Tonight, the blond hated them with passion. 

He was walking around the campus still cursing the other two when he passed by a row of vending machines. Suddenly craving something sweet, Jonghyun fished his pocket for some coins and then evaluated his options, choosing a cheap chocolate bar. He insert the coins and waited for the bar to fall from its place. 

Eventually, the time went by and no chocolate bar fell from the inside of the machine.

“Great! Even the damn vending machine is against me tonight.” He growled, shaking the machine to make the candy bar fall from its place. “What have I done wrong to deserve this?”

Crouching down, Jonghyun put his hand on the compartment where the snacks fell and tried to reach for his bar since it was at the bottom row. Somewhere along the attempt to grasp the candy, his hand got stuck in a weird angle. 

“Oh my god, I can’t believe this is happening.”

He kept on pulling his hand but it wouldn’t come out. Jonghyun started to panic and imagining the worst case scenarios when he heard someone humming to a song. He turned around still with his hand stuck and spotted the person who was so immerse in his thoughts that didn’t even see him.

“Hey, you! Hey!” He desperately called, trying to catch the other’s attention. “Hey!”

The young man jumped startled when he realized he wasn’t alone and turned around,  spotting Jonghyun next to the vending machine. His eyes widened and he quickly approached the other, walking comically fast. 

“Are you okay?”

“Does it seem to you that I’m okay?” Jonghyun snapped, tired and sleepy. Only to regret it when he saw the other flinching. “I’m sorry, I had a bad day and then my roommate asked me to leave our room so he could spend the night with his girlfriend - who, by the way, is my sister - and I wanted to have something sweet but the stupid machine didn’t work and now my hand is stuck.”

The other giggled and crouched down next to him. “Don’t worry, it happens to me all the time.” He stared at Jonghyun’s hand and tried to pull it a little. “I mean, my hand gets stuck in vending machines… Not the roommate thing.”

“Yeah, I understood that.”

They stood in silence while Jinki tried to get Jonghyun’s hand out of the machine. However, when he pulled a little harder, the other hissed.

“Sorry, I’m sorry.”

“I thought you said it happens to you all the time.”

“And it does!”

“Then why is my hand still stuck?”

The other seemed to take offense by that and lifted an eyebrow. “Well, if you’re not satisfied with my work then maybe you should wait for the next person who walks by and offers to help.”

“No, no! I’m sorry, I… I’ll be quiet.” Jonghyun promised and settled for watching the other work. The man in front of him was rather good looking, Jonghyun wondered why he never noticed him before since it was obvious they went on the same college. “I’m Jonghyun.”

“Jinki.” He said, seemingly uninterested, still focused on Jonghyun’s hand. “It’s almost out, you see? If only you- Oh!”

Jonghyun pulled his now free hand to him and wiggled his fingers, trying to understand if something was injured. When nothing seemed out of the ordinary, he smiled and turned to Jinki. 

“Thank you so much.” He said while the two of them stood up. “If it wasn’t for you, I think I would have spend the night here. With my hand stuck.”

“It’s nothing.” Jinki waved his hand, disregarding the thanks. “Like I said, it happens to me all the time. Including, spending the night until someone passes by.”

Jonghyun laughed with the other and a sudden thought went through his head. “Give me your number.” Jinki stopped laughing immediately and stared at Jonghyun without knowing what to do. “I mean… In case you have your hand stuck again, you can call me.”

“Oh! Okay, I…”

“Or we can, you know, grab a coffee or something like that.”

Jinki smiled and reached for his back pocket to fish his phone. “I don’t drink coffee but I would like to go out with you.”

“What? I-“ Jonghyun’s cheeks were red and he scratched his nape. “I think I would like that too.”

Jinki grabbed Jonghyun’s phone and saved his number on it while Jonghyun did the same on his. 

After that, they parted with a promise of meeting again soon and Jonghyun’s earlier rage was more than forgotten. On his way, his phone beeped and he grabbed it to see who was texting him so late.

This may seem sudden but… do you want to spend the night at my place?! It’s roommate free! And at least, i’m sure you won’t stuck your hand in another vending machine.

Jonghyun felt something in his stomach stir and he laughed, looking over his shoulder to see Jinki waving at him awkwardly. The blond nodded and changed his trajectory, walking back to the other. At the end of the night, Jonghyun didn’t hate Minho or Gwiboon anymore. Quite the contrary.

 

Here it is! Tell me what you think uwu