Fatal attraction I

Matchmaker

A man used to flying in his well furnished private plane, he barely registered the slight bump as the jet hit the runway. Of course that was also due to the fact that his pilot was excellent, as was everyone under Kim Jong Kook's employment. They were rewarded handsomely for the demands he made, which were often harsh but rarely impossible. He made them challenge their own limits; he was fair, astute, and generous. He probably wouldnt qualify for the most popular boss award but they certainly respect him. All his female employees under the age of 45 have a crush on him and secretly hoped to be the lady who holds the key to his heart, but within 2 weeks of working for him they realised that he was one who never mixed business with pleasure. All his male employees, regardless of their age, aspire to be like him. Afterall, very few have the capabilities and tenacity to helm the largest telecommunications company in the whole of South Korea and bring it to greater heights as compared to the time when he first took over the position of Chairman 3 years ago, at the young age of 32. To top things off, he has the chiselled face of a Greek god and the physique of a Spartan. Plus a most charming demeanour when he puts his mind to it. As some of his most ardent supporters would say, he is basically perfect.

Kim Jong Kook scanned the details in the brief portfolio that his assistant had prepared for him.

Deputy CEO of the Seoul branch of RM Communications:

Song Jihyo Aged 31

Single

Frequently described as: Tyrannical, empty-headed, amoral, opportunistic. Generous, principled, capable, gorgeous.

The contradictions in the descriptors raised his eyebrows, but it later made sense as he read on. "Rumoured to have reached her current position in the company by being the CEO's mistress" So Ms Song must have made some enemies, who are likely to be the sources of those unflattering descriptors. But what intrigued him was the fact that she must have garnered some supporters as well and these were the people who thought she was principled, capable ectera. Nonetheless, he would be his own judge when he meets her later.


The subject of Chairman Kim's thoughts was currently messaging the back of her stiff neck. It had been a trying morning with meeting after meeting, and with her trying to manage the old fogies in the company who persist in creating trouble just because they view themselves more senior than her. She knew how they taunt her behind her back, spreading rumours about her having an illicit relationship with the CEO. How dare they smear Uncle Park's reputation? Uncle Park, best friend to her late father, whi had offered her a post as a middle level executive under his team when she was desperate for a job. She had worked so hard to repay his kindness and after she had continuously produced results for the company, Uncle Park had seen it fit to promote her to his deputy CEO. Obviously his care towards her did not escape the eagle eyes of those clamouring after that very same position. She supposed that was how the rumours were started. She gave an inward sigh as she leaned back in her chair.

There was a knock on her door and her personal assistant came into the room. "Ms Song, here is the resume of the candidate who will be here for the interview later. For the post of the Manager, Advertising division".

"Thanks Hye Jin." Jihyo gave her personal assistant a warm smile. Her PA's face was the friendliest she'd seen this morning. Now here was a lady who had a neutral attitude towards herself when she was first made deputy CEO. But she supposed she must have done something right that gradually gained Hye Jin's quiet but firm support. They now have a great partnership, with mutual respect and liking for each other.

"Have you gone through the resume? What do you think of this candidate?" Jihyo wanted to get a sensing from her PA.

"Well he seems a little over-qualified for the post with his educational credentials and all, although he's only been in this industry for 3 years. He's extremely cute by the way, so I'll recommend that you seriously consider him for the post," Hye Jin nodded towards the photo attached to the resume, with a twinkle in her eye. Jihyo rolled her eyes. Her PA was always trying to matchmake her with random guys. Hye Jin then started telling her the rumour that their Chairman (THE head honcho of RM Communications) would be making his rounds at the various branches across the country, apparently as he needed to pool together a team of capable employees to form a special team that will handle the company's biggest projects. Jihyo gave a inward sigh. She'll worry about whatever preparation that the Seoul branch would need to do for Chairman's visit, when the time comes.

She picked up the resume on her desk after her PA left the room.

Kim Kook Jong Aged 35

Single

Summa laude in Mass Communications Masters in International Relations...

She scanned the long list of credentials and achievements listed and wondered, like her PA probably did, why is a guy like this applying for the post of a Manager. He sounds like he could handle her post as the deputy CEO or even the CEO. He IS cute, at least from the photo. But somehow she had the sense that he looks just so slightly, vaguely, familiar. She shrugged the feeling off, as he looks good enough to resemble some Hallyu star.


Before he went into Ms Song Jihyo's room for the "interview", Jong Kook readied himself for his incognito mission. He had asked his PA to prepare a brief resume for this purpose. His PA had obviously included their inside joke, for his PA (also a good Hyung for the last 15 years) liked to call him 'Kook Jong' privately sometimes. Jong Kook was here at the Seoul branch, as rumours indicated, to gather a special projects team. But no one else, besides his PA and himself, that he would be doing so incognito, so that he could get a more accurate picture of the candidates he had in mind. This particular candidate, Ms Song, came highly recommended by one of his reliable scouts. He didnt want to admit that he was somewhat intrigued by the  picture attached to her portfolio. She certainly wasnt the most gorgeous female he'd seen. But there was just something about her that drew his eye to the picture. He adjusted his tie and suit before steeping into the room for the "interview".