final

If Only

Seulgi took a deep breath, before opening the door of that particular ward, where she can finally meet the most important person in her life. Seulgi stepped inside, and upon seeing Wendy, her lips began to quiver, and tears started to fill up her eyes. Her heart started to palpitate rapidly, and her arms and legs started to shake as she began to walk towards the patient who was lying on her bed, smiling at her.

 
"Wen... Wendy," Seulgi managed to force out.
 
Seulgi sat on the chair beside the bed, and tears started streaming down her cheeks. Her heart ached so much it felt like it was going to explode any moment. She took a deep breath, trying hard not to break down in front of Wendy.
 
"Are you okay?" Wendy asked, patting her back, trying to comfort her.
 
"Yes, i'm okay." But no, Seulgi was not okay. In fact, she was far from that.
 
"So... What's your name?" Wendy asked, her eyes filled with curiosity.
 
"I'm Seulgi."
 
"Seulgi... That's a pretty name!" Wendy exclaimed, and this made Seulgi's heart ache even more, to be able to hear Wendy say her name again. But it was different, it feels different. They used to be able to talk about anything, to laugh at anything together, but will Seulgi be able to talk or laugh with Wendy the same way she was able to before?
 
Seulgi leaned back on the chair, and forced a smile, in an attempt to console herself. If only she had not let go of Wendy's hand, this would not have happened. If only she could rewind time, and change the events that had happened just a few days ago, Wendy would not have suffered from concussion. If only.
---
 
Seulgi and Wendy. Wendy and Seulgi. They were practically associated with each other. When people think of one of them, they would naturally think of the other. Some people don't believe that bestfriends exist, but Seulgi and Wendy were really the best of friends. They would meet each other everyday, and find every opportunity they can to do so. They have similar personalities, and they like the same things. Same type of food, same type of fashion, but most importantly, they both like singing. Both of them share the dream of becoming a singer, and so, they would spend hours to practise singing everyday, with the dream of becoming a singer one day, together.
 
It was just like any other ordinary day, where Wendy and Seulgi would meet at a particular bus stop, to attend their singing academy for vocal lessons together. Wendy arrived first at the bus stop, and after waiting for half an hour, Seulgi have yet to arrive.
 
"Seulgi was never this late..." Wendy thought to herself. She fished out her phone from her pocket, and saw the text message Seulgi had sent her.
 
"Don't wait for me, you go on ahead."
 
Thinking that Seulgi might have probably overslept, Wendy simply replied her with a "Sure!" and made her way towards the academy.
 
Seulgi did not show up. The whole time the class was practising, Wendy could only think about Seulgi, about what was holding her back. Seulgi had never been absent for lessons, not even when she was sick. When the class had ended, Wendy took out her phone and began typing out a message to Seulgi, while heading towards the same bus stop. Just when she was about to send the message, she spotted Seulgi standing at the bus stop, a troubled expression plastered all over her face.
 
"Hey. Is something wrong? Are you okay?" Wendy placed a hand on Seulgi's shoulder, and upon seeing Wendy, Seulgi began chewing on her lower lip and frowned. "Uhh..."
 
"Hey. Look at me." Wendy lifted Seulgi's chin lightly. "You can tell me, you know? Like how you always do."
 
"I..." Seulgi hesitated. "I think i want to give up on singing."
 
That, to Wendy, was something that had never crossed her mind, for Seulgi and Wendy have always had the dream of becoming a singer ever since they were five, when they first met each other.
 
"Seulgi, what exactly happened? Please tell me you're just joking." Wendy was panicking. She wanted to be a singer, alongside her bestfriend. It was a promise they made to each other, and now Seulgi was about to break that promise.
 
"Nothing happened. I mean, you were always the better one in terms of singing, Wendy, and i just don't want to compete against you."
 
"It's not a competition, Seulgi! It's something we can both do together, a dream we can both achieve together!"
 
"No, stop it Wendy. You can still achieve that dream. For me, i'll probably find another career."
 
Seulgi was about to cross the road, but Wendy grabbed hold of her hand.
 
"Seulgi, please. I want you to be a singer, with me, and i know you want that too."
 
"That's enough, Wendy." Seulgi replied flatly before snatching her hand back from Wendy's grip, took a glance to her right before crossing the road quickly.
 
"Seulgi, wait!"
 
Seulgi could hear Wendy chasing after her, but before she could even turn around, she heard the sound of the braking of a car, followed by a loud crash, and Wendy's scream, before everything fell silent. 
 
Seulgi spun around, and a lifeless Wendy was lying in the ground, only a few metres away from her, surrounded with a pool of blood.
 
"Wendy?" Seulgi scurried towards Wendy's body, picked it up and hugged. 
 
"Wendy, can you hear me? Answer me please, you fool! Answer me, Wendy!" Seulgi took out her phone and called the ambulance. 
 
She held Wendy in her arms and wept, hot torrents of grief coursing out her eyes like the breaking of a dam, her racking sobs shaking her thoroughly with the knowledge that Wendy would never be the same anymore. Gasping for air, Seulgi turned her head and sobbed even more, repeating the only few words that came out of , which were "I'm sorry, Wendy. It's my fault, this is all my fault."
---
 
Seulgi shook her head, trying hard not to recall that incident, but she knew very well that scene would never be erased from her mind, no matter what happens. She took Wendy's hands and squeezed them, inhaled slowly before saying, "Wendy, i'm preparing to be a singer soon."
 
"Really? A singer? That's cool! Could you sing for me someday then?" Wendy beamed, and Seulgi smiled back, her tears flowing down her cheeks continuously.
 
"Of course, i'll sing for you whenever you want to listen, but it's a pity i'm debuting alone."
 
"Was there someone you were planning to debut with?"
 
"Yes, there was, and i feel really indebted to her, since she probably wouldn't want to become a singer anymore. I'm becoming a singer to do her proud."
 
"Wow, she must be really lucky to have you as a friend!"
 
"No, i'm the lucky one." Seulgi smiled back, and squeezed Wendy's hand even tighter, not wanting to let go of them this time, or ever.
 
If only, if only, if only. These words constantly repeat themselves in Seulgi's head, but no matter how hard she hope and wish, things are never going to change back. She can only swear to herself to remain by Wendy's side for the rest of her life, to take care of Wendy, for being able to make her happy is the only thing Seulgi can do right now. If only. Those must be the two saddest words in the world.