Final

Just Another Fan

"Chan.." Baekhyun muttered while writing the syllable on the back of his Political Science notebook. "yeol." 'Hmm, better than my last one.' Baekhyun thought as he turned the page for a new one.

"Chan.." He wrote another version of his letterings. "yeo-" He stopped writing and looked up to see his professor looking straight at him, his mouth pressed into an impatient line.

"Mr. Byun, what are you doing?" Professor Shim asked, his tone timid as if he's holding back an explosion.

"Umm.." Baekhyun looked back to seek help from his bestfriend Kyungsoo. To his dismay, Kyungsoo just looked back at him blankly, leaving him no choice but to get himself out of the hole he just created.

"Nothing, prof." Baekhyun muttered. Not looking his professor straight in the eye.

"Can I borrow you Political Science notebook then?" Professor Shim extended his arm, waiting for Baekhyun to put the notebook on his prof's palm.

Baekhyun stood up, a little too slowly. He doesn't want to be humiliated by the same professor again and again. His ego is already shattered so why does this evil person have to keep repeating the process?

"Can you be slower than that?!" Prof. Shim's voice rose 600 floors up.

Baekhyun clumsily ran to the front, almost tripping in the process. As he approach Prof. Shim, he was about to hand him his notebook but the other snatched and opened it in one milisecond. He scanned the entirety of the notebook, not leaving any spot unchecked.

"I've been talking for an hour now and your notebook is still on the second semester? You don't even have any notes from the first semester." His bushy eyebrows met, creating the most scary picture for Baekhyun's college life.

All Baekhyun could ever do was gulp, as if there's a stone he can't seem to take down his throat. The only reason why he wrote notes on the second semester was the bet he and Kyungsoo made. Kyungsoo bet that Baekhyun can't handle a whole semester of writing down notes. And of course he proved Kyungsoo wrong. He won and never wrote lecture notes again.

Prof. Shim turned the empty pages until he reached the back part. "And you have hundreds of 'Park Chanyeol' written at the back." He showed it to the class and each one snickered and laughed at Baekhyun, well except Kyungsoo. "It's really nice actually. You have a girly handwriting." He closed the notebook and put it on his table. "It suits you really well." He smirked at Baekhyun.

He already got his revenge for Baekhyun's behavior so his aura went back to its usual condition.

And all Baekhyun could ever do about it was to sit down and thought of his life being a total waste.


"I told you already a million times." Kyungsoo said in his mother tone. "You should've just wrote down lecture notes instead of writing Park Chanyeol over and over."

Baekhyun huffed. "Whatever, Political Science is too boring. It's a valid excuse to not pay attention to his class," He rolled his eyes. "plus, that professor is evil. He will end up killing me if I don't transfer classes today." Baekhyun was about to make a run for the office but Kyungsoo already grabbed his backpack.

"Oh, shush." He pulled mightily at Baekhyun's backpack. He knows this move more than anyone else. Baekhyun would try to get away from him but will fail, again. He waited for the perfect timing to let go of his backpack so he'll kiss the ground with a great impact. But unfortunately, Baekhyun just stumbled and regained his balance afterwards.

"What? Do you want me to be buried 6 feet underground, this week?" Baekhyun overactingly asked. "I'll haunt you, and scare you until your big eyes pop out of their sockets." He let out an evil laugh, choking at the end.

Kyungsoo just ignored him and walked faster than Baekhyun's pace.

"Hey!" Baekhyun called out, increasing his speed to keep up with his bestfriend.

Kyungsoo eventually stopped walking and dropped the bomb.

"You should stop with that Park Chanyeol addiction. It's ruining your studies. Baekhyun, we're already in college! And all you ever talk about is that person that doesn't even know you exist." Baekhyun was about to cut him off but Kyungsoo continued, not giving him any chance. "At first it was okay, because you seem happy that you support him and he's your inspiration through your studies. I even defended him from your dad and helps you buy his albums secretly."

Baekhyun just stood there facing Kyungsoo, disbelief written all over his face. He knows that Kyungsoo just wants the best for him the same way his dad wants him to study hard and all that stuff but they just don't understand. What he said was over the line. Park Chanyeol is his sunshine, he can't just forget about him and live the rest of his life without his presence. He already gave him his pure loyalty, that he is forver his fan, regardless of Chanyeol knowing about that pledge of not, it's forever valid.

"He's not just a person." Baekhyun raised his voice, earning the attention of the persons around them. He doesn't want to argue with his bestfriend but Kyungsoo pushed him to his limit. Whoever talks of Park Chanyeok like that, will feel the wrath of Byun Baekhyun.

"He is." Kyungsoo pressed, not interested on what Baekhyun is going to say next. He just wants to stop this nonsense because this person infront of him is ruining his image. He can feel the looks of people around them.

"He's my sunshine, my love so sweet, my entire life, my soulmate, and I will forever be his." Baekhyun histrionically verbalized his overly used monologue. He doesn't even care anymore about the weird looks being shot at him.

"Are you done?" Kyungsoo listlessly asked. He already heard this one tooo many times.

"Well this time i'm not joking around." Baekhyun diverted his gaze from Kyungsoo's ludicrously serious face to avoid unwanted fits of laughter. He was about to continue when the other cut in.

"I'm not joking this time either."

"Good, because i've had it with people like you." Baekhyun spit out the words that's been running in his head. Every single one just doesn't understand how important being a fan to him is. Well a few encounters from nice people that actually apprehend the situation in some fan meets. "I thought you were my friend. You're supposed to understand me. You're the only person in my life that supports me and now you're on /their/ side." He thought this just their usual everyday arguements, but it ended up being a war of hurtful words.

Kyungsoo didn't speak for seconds until Baekhyun turned to his heel and decided to leave.

"I'll be here in reality." Kyungsoo huffed, leaving as well.


"Reality?" Baekhyun gibbered as he walked languidly on the sidewalk. "Bull." He mumbled, continuing his never ending walk, bumping into a few persons.

As he reached the less popullated part of town, the only sound audible sounds were the constant passing of cars and the drunken laughter from the group of friends a few meters away from him.

He continued walking through the alley that leads him to their apartment. It's almost sunset and he's running late for new updates on Chanyeol's whereabouts. The last time he checked in school secretly, he's flying back to Seoul.

"I'm home." Baekhyun tiredly said to no one in particular. He went straight to his and his younger brother's room. He removed his shoes and socks and left them scattered on the tiled floor. He flopped down on the lower bunk bed and took out his phone from his pocket, where it has been all day.

He certainly doesn't want to miss any update on Chanyeol. He remembered his 10-page book report that's due tomorrow. And the last thing he wants is to see the bad side of their Advanced English professor.

"He will have a concert here?!" Baekhyun almost jumped out of bed in sheer excitement. He read on until the end of the article. "I need to check the ticket prices." He said to himself as he ran to the study table and opened the ancient laptop that stops working everytime it wants to ruin the mood of the user. He knows that he's planning his own dismay because he can't afford the prices yet he still wants to know so that he can talk to other Chanyeol fans in twitter about how high the prices are. Saving up for a single album takes about 2 months of not spending his allowance, so saving is a hopeless option. Even working is not going to work at all because he's still a minor and he's too lazy to handle a job. Fan life is just so hard, it's even worse than a battlefield.

"Please work, I just need to check something important." Baekhyun plead the laptop, and miracurously opened the Google Chrome browser without any problems. He typed somethings here and there and crossed his fingers, hopes high, he waited for the laptop to load the website.

Still no problems and more clicks on the screen and patient praying, the website loaded and displayed the ticket prices for each spots in the arena a few kilometers away from the unfamous town Baekhyun lives at.

"Why are the prices so high?" Baekhyun sighed. "I'm not rich Chanyeol. This is probably the first and last time that I you'll visit this town that no one knows of." He dramatically spoke to his laptop screen.

His luck is cut short by the knocking on the door.

"Baekhyun we're going to eat dinner now." His mother turned the knob incessantly, telling Baekhyun to open the door this instant before she opens the door with her own set of keys.

"Wait!" Baekhyun yelled while looking through his feed full of Chanyeol's images.

"I'm going to open the door." His mother threatened.

"I-i haven't changed my clothes!" Baekhyun swiftly grabbed a plain black shirt and a pair of cotton shorts that's about the same length as a basketball short in his drawer.

"You've been there for an hour and you still haven't changed your clothes?!" His mother is growing more impatient by the second.

"Uhh.." Baekhyun tried to find an excuse while he fumbles with his shorts. "I w-was doing a.. research!" His eyes landed on the laptop sitting on top of the study table.

"I hope you're done with your," A deadly pause, "research." That was a positive sign that his mother doesn't bite to his lousy excuse. "That's it i'm coming in," His mother's patience snapped into two. "I don't care if you're ." She came in like a professional inspector, Baekhyun's younger brother playing annoying sidekick came in tailing after with a smug expression on his face.

Baekhyun threw his uniform on the lower bunk bed and ran to the laptop to create a new tab to conceal Chanyeol's images displayed beautifully on the screen but miserably failed.

Her mother was faster than Baekhyun's ninja reflexes. She instinctively looked at the laptop, a smiling Chanyeol looking back at her. She averted her gaze at Baekhyun, a disappointe-angry look on her face and a /victory is mine/ look on Baekhyun's brother's face.

"Let's eat now, your father's waiting." She said. Baekhyun's brother's lips dropped down in utter shock.

She left the room, before Baekhyun's younger brother can start his but talk. Baekhyun sneered at him and chortled to himself.

"Whatever," He hissed. "Chanyeol is ugly." He left the room with a huff.


Like deja vu hitting him in the face, his father ranted on and on, like a broken record, about him being a failure because the only thing you're going to do is to set the table and you still can't do it.

"Let's eat now." His mother tried to stop his dad without goading him.

Baekhyun just decided to keep his growing grudge in his left chest, particularly in his heart. Like every hurtful word that comes from his parents' mouths is a dagger that increases the welling pain. He can already feel he familiar sting in his eyes, the liquid, the side effects of his ill emotions that represents weakness to his father's shallow point of view.

"You should transfer school next year." His mother started the topic that Baekhyun has been avoiding. He knows that this topic is inevitable. Kyungsoo's family is not that rich but they can continue to pay for Kyungsoo's tuition fees and support his needs until he finds a job. He and Kyungsoo promised to stay together so this topic scares him regardless of their current situation. "I can't keep up with your school fees and expenses anymore. My weekly wage can't even reach our budget needs." Those red, troubled eyes of her mother slapped some guilt in him. But the anger building up inside of him took over. It found the perfect chance to break in.

"It's not your fault. A certain someone with the responsibilty is just too lazy to even find a job. All he does is gamble the money you make, drink liquor that he bought with your money and make the apartment smell and look like a pigs' pen." Baekhyun dropped his utensilis on top of his untouched food. "Am I right?" He looked at his mother bitterly then at his father.

Uncomfortable silence. No sound even the movements of the utensils.

"Do you study?!" The dead-silent dining room slash kitchen was now filled with his father's voice. "You dawdled around and now you're complaining?!" He countered.

Baekhyun stood up and left the dining room slash kitchen and ran to his and his brother's room. He left the lights off. He doesn't bother being surrounded by darkness, the only thing that seems to be helping.

"Crying won't help you." His father suddenly entered the room and took the old laptop with him, the door created a loud 'thud' when it hit the frame.

He wanted so bad to punch something to get rid of the boiling anger inside him, but he knows he doesn't have the power to. He'll just hurt himself if he force something he can't do. Instead, he let his tears fall down. He tried to muffle his incessant sobs to regain the small bit of dignity he has left.

He stayed there, unmoving, then everything /shifted/ through his blurry vision.


He doesn't know how he managed to slip out of their apartment, but he's happy as hell to be out of place of romp quarrels that vanishes after a few hours and repeats. And every single hurtful word written hastily deep in his brain, remembered especially in the times of his bleak self-judgement.

As he trod through the alley full of abstract vandalizations, a tall figure in a form of a shadow is walking with a great posture, his gait is too beautiful for his surroundings.

The shadow got closer and closer. Baekhyun just walked towards the end of the alley, unfortunately straight to the giant casting the shadow.

When he got a glimpse of the now visible maker of the said shadow, he blinked a few times, his heart leaping with joy.

"Ch-chanyeol?" He managed to form a cohorent thought and his brain that just short-circuited started working again, in full speed.

The boy shot him a dubious look then showed him his complete set of teeth. "Never thought i'll be recognized in this part of town." He chuckled and jogged closer to Baekhyun, leaving a good 2 feet distance.

"Why are you here?" Baekhyun dumbfoundedly asked. "I didn't mean that to sound offensive." He defensively cut in.

"The question is why are you out here? It's late." Chanyeol deflected the question. "Didn't mean that to sound offensive." He laughed mentally for being marginally sarcastic.

"I'd rather be here than inside our apartment." Baekhyun just answered without hesitation. Mainly because his ultimate idol is walking with him, 2 feet away. He doesn't even know how he managed to not freak out, yet.

"Weird, you already shared a piece of information about your life and I don't even know your name." Chanyeol looked directly at him for the first time since they started their conversation.

Baekhyun knows how beautiful Chanyeol is. He didn't just prepare himself to face him in real life.

"Uh-oh, drool's falling down." Chanyeol turned his gaze back to the end of the alley. They could already hear the passing cars from the main road.

Baekhyun quickly regained his senses and touched the corners of his mouth. He shot Chanyeol a soft glare for sort of taking advantage at his fan heart, but that's okay. So Baekhyun ended up smiling like an idiot at Chanyeol.

"You still haven't told me your name. We don't have all the time in the world." Chanyeol reminded.

"Byun Baekhyun." Baekhyun extended his hand for formality's sake, he already embarassed himself enough.

Chanyeol took his hand cautiously then looked at Baekhyun. "Making an excuse." He scoffed vaguely.

"You took it anyways." Baekhyun smiled at Chanyeol. Happy is not enough to define Baekhyun's emotions.

"Fair point." Chanyeol put his hand back at his side.

"Soo.." Baekhyun is not comfortable with the silence that's slowl engulfing them as they continue their /midnight walk/.

It is totally unambiguous yet everything felt so real. Chanyeol is really beside him, walking with the same pace as him, enjoying the near silence around them.

"Tell me about yourself." Chanyeol said. You probably know me already.

Baekhyun felt another tingling sensation in his stomach. Maybe it's the famous /butterflies/. But he's not sure since he never felt this ecstatic.

"I'm 22 years old." Baekhyun started with the usual stuff. "I love to read fiction books, mostly fanfictions, and when I encounter an unfamiliar word, I look it up in the dictionary."

"Seems tedious." Chanyeol fake yawned.

"Helps in vocabulary." Baekyun shrugged. It's pretty normal for him.

Chanyeol saw an ice cream parlor across the street and whimsically tugged at Baekhyun's petite arm.

"Let's eat ice cream while you continue talking about yourself or something." Chanyeol suggested. His eyes sparkled with joy as he pointed to the ice cream parlor. Just a few minutes ago he was Mr. Cool and Mysterious.

"Fine." Baekhyun sighed. He still thinks it's weird because it's the middle of the night.

"I don't have any money." Chanyeol admitted.

"I basically agreed because I thought you have tons of money with you and you will pay for my order and I will insist that I will pay but I will agree to let you pay in the end." Baekhyun admitted too.

Silence for a few seconds and no necessary movements until Baekhyun spoke up.

"I have a few bills with me." He said as he felt inside his pocket and sure enough, the are some bills inside.

Baekhyun ordered 2 Oreo Blizzard Cups for him and Chanyeol. They took the farthest table where on one can recognize Chanyeol even though it's almost one in the morning. They risk is pretty low since the are the only persons inside the ice cream parlor aside from the cashier girl that looks like she's going to pass out any minute.

"I still think you're just a figment of my imagination, but this ice cream is so good." Baekhyun blurted out.

Chanyeol just ate his ice crema and spoke with his mouth full of ice cream and crushed Oreos. "What do you want to know," He swallowed. "about me that is."

Baekhyun's mind raced with questions that he desperately needs answers to but he doesn't want to pepper Chanyeol with questions and make him realize that he's talking to the wrong fan.

"What do you do backstage and how do you sleep especially when you're on tour and how do you enjure the fan's shouts and noises and what do you feel about male fans, particularly me?" Baekhyun tried to stop his tongue but now he can't look at Chanyeol.

But to his surprise, Chanyeol just answered his questions nonchalantly. "A lot.. I'll sleep whenever I have the chance.. I love their unpleasant to the ear shouts of love.. They're cool I guess, i can  invite them over and play Xbox with them, you included," He took a long pause before opening his mouth.

He waited for Chanyeol to answer the most important question of his life.

"Baekhyun!" He yelled, not in his beautiful husky voice but someone else's he can't put a finger on who.

Maybe it's the ice cream, maybe not.

"Baekhyun, wake up!" There goes Chanyeol's face, replaced by his bestfriend's face.

He rubbed his hand over his swollen eyes, looked around only to see his and his younger brother's room and Kyungsoo sitting at the edge of the lower bunk bed.

"I'm sorry about what I said yesterday. But right now you should take a bath because we'll be late for our first period." Kyungsoo said, shaking Baekhyun to get his attention.

Realization hits him right in the face.

"Goddamnit."


[A/N: horay to my first one-shot. i'm not used to third person pov so im sorry if this is ty. i just want to try haha. btw if you want to talk to me or something heres my wechat ID: Piyya_Styles we can be friends lol.]