Final

It's not illegal to love you
 
 
"Nice job, Hyukjae-ssi." Donghae says distastefully as he watches Hyukjae enter the office, a triumphant smirk on his face. They've been in the same law firm for five years now, and have always been fighting over who has won the most cases. Donghae thinks Hyukjae's such a jerk, the smirk he gives to Donghae after he wins a case. 
 
"Thanks, Donghae." Hyukjae says, a teasing tone in his voice.
"Heard that you lost the case yesterday." Donghae only huffs in response. 
 
"Ahh, I see that your five days of not sleeping went to waste." Donghae scowls, shoving his papers into his briefcase as he mutters, "Yeah, no thanks to you." Hyukjae only laughs.
 
"Well, my five days of coffee spent on you was wasted."
 
"No one asked you to buy me coffee." Donghae spits out, a slight pout forming on his face. He finds it annoying how Hyukjae teases him everytime, and he chooses to believe that buying him coffee is just another way of Hyukjae mocking him. 
 
"All right, all right." Hyukjae grins, hands lifted up in mock surrender. Donghae huffs and stands up from his seat, walking to the pantry to make a drink. 
Hyukjae stares at him until he turns the corner. 
 
-
"Hyung!" Donghae looks up at the person in front of his desk. 
 
"Oh, hi Minhyuk." Donghae tiredly says, rubbing at his temples. 
 
"I see that Hyukjae-hyung won again today?" Minhyuk grins, a teasing smile on his face. 
 
"Don't even mention that bastard." Donghae groans, glaring at Minhyuk. 
 
"All right," Minhyuk laughs, seeing how frustrated Donghae looks. He secretly thinks it's both funny and adorable how the two are always at loggerheads with each other. 
 
"Lunch later, hyung?" 
 
"Okay, see you at 12." Donghae says, before continuing to look through the papers for yet another new case. 
 
Donghae laughs at the story Minhyuk is telling him about the new intern, Henry, who spilled coffee on the boss's pants when it's just his first day here. He continues laughing, while chomping down on his beloved tacos. All of a sudden, his plate is taken away from him. 
 
"Hey!" Donghae looks up, only to meet the eyes of Hyukjae. 
Donghae rolls his eyes, snatching his plate back before flicking Hyukjae's forehead, causing the said man to yelp, rubbing at his forehead. 
 
"What was that for?" Hyukjae says, rubbing his red forehead. 
 
"That's what you get for stealing my tacos." Donghae says, continuing to chomp on them. 
 
"What are you doing here anyway, thought you have a trial later." Donghae asks, genuinely curious. 
 
"What, I couldn't come to see you?" Donghae chokes, spitting out his taco. Hyukjae laughs, patting Donghae on the back. 
 
"Hey, I was just kidding. I'll get going now." Hyukjae turns to look at Minhyuk, and Donghae sees how his eyes turn slightly downcast. Hyukjae quickly looks away, his gaze turning back into the usual one. 
 
"Well, guess it's going to be my....." Hyukjae pauses. 
"Hundredth time winning a case?" Donghae glares at Hyukjae and Hyukjae only laughs as he stands and walks away.
 
"That arrogant bastard." Donghae mutters under his breath. 
---
 
"I'm Lee Hyukjae." Donghae looks at the outstretched hand in front of him and the playful smirk. He rolls his eyes and turns away. 
 
"You're one arrogant little bastard, aren't you?" 
Donghae glares at the man in front of him. 
 
"You're one to talk." Hyukjae is kind of taken aback, but he grins. 
 
"Nice to meet you. I'm going to be working under the same firm as you from now on." 
 
"I don't care." Donghae huffs, continuing to type on his laptop. 
 
"All right. See you around, Donghae." Hyukjae murmurs, more to himself.
 
----
Hyukjae walks into the office humming. Donghae looks up, raising an eyebrow. 
 
"You owe me lunch." Donghae's jaw drops open in disbelief. 
 
"You won... Again?" 
 
"Of course, who do you think I am?" Donghae facepalms and realises he can only get such answers when he's talking to the Lee Hyukjae. 
 
"Okay, whatever." Donghae mutters, waving Hyukjae off. 
--
"You're doing this the wrong way, Donghae-ssi." Hyukjae sneers, sipping on his coffee in the meantime.
 
"Shut up, Hyukjae. I've been in this industry longer than you have." Donghae snaps, focusing on the screen in front of him again. 
 
"Quality over quantity, my dear." Hyukjae mutters, but Donghae hears it. 
 
"One more word, Hyukjae-ssi..."
 
"And you'll what? You're so short you can't even reach my shoulders, not to say fight me." 
 
"You!" Donghae lunges at Hyukjae pushing him out of the seat opposite him and out of his office. He ruffles his hair messily as he returns to his seat and as he hears the annoying laughter of Lee Hyukjae down the corridor. 
----
 
"Good Job, Hyukjae! Yet another case won!" 
Hyukjae smirks at Donghae while their boss pats his back. Donghae rolls his eyes and sticks his tongue out at him. Hyukjae does the same. Donghae walks to Hyukjae, a pretentious smile on his face. 
 
"Congratulations, Hyukjae-ssi." Donghae says while smiling so hard he thinks his cheeks are going to break.
 
"Why, thank you. Donghae-ssi." Hyukjae says, a hint of a smirk on his  face. 
---- 
 
 
"Lee Hyukjae you're such an !" Donghae screams, waving his soaked papers wildly in the air. 
 
"I didn't mean it! Honestly! I tripped over your bag on the floor and then I lost my grip on my mug!" 
 
"So now you're blaming it on me?" Donghae screeches, breathing heavily at the sight of his papers - the one he's spent hours working on - soaked. 
 
"No, Donghae. Honestly."
 
"Whatever, Hyukjae. You're such an ." 
Donghae sighs, taking a few pieces of tissue to dry off his papers, while a dejected looking Hyukjae bites his lips, and retreats. 
-----
 
Donghae blinks blearily at his laptop, downing energy drink after energy drink. He types on his laptop lazily, sorting out all the evidence and information he needs for the trial the next day.
He yawns and he feels his eyes closing soon though. 
Before he totally drifts off, he thinks he feels hands gently running through his hair. 
----
 
Donghae feels miserable. This morning as he was walking to his car, a car decided to drive past him and with a puddle of water on the floor, soaked him from head to toe as it whizzed past. When he reached his office, Henry accidentally split his coffee on him while running down the corridor. Earlier in court, he realised that he mixed up some of his papers, causing him to lose the case and causing him to feel utterly guilty and terrible. He feels utterly hopeless and he clutches onto the silver chain around his neck, a tear falls down his cheek and he wishes his father could be here to comfort him, and tell him that everything's going to be okay. 
 
"Gosh what's with the coffee smell? Did you choose to be an idiot and spill coffee all over yourself-" Hyukjae pauses as he sees Donghae standing motionlessly, shoulders slightly shaking. 
 
"Hey, are you okay?" Hyukjae asks as he approaches Donghae, only to widen his eyes when Donghae suddenly starts sobbing. 
Donghae buries his face into his palms, feeling like an absolute wreck as he stands at the corner of his office. He doesn't even mind when Hyukjae walks over and gently puts his hand onto his shoulder. 
 
"Hey... What's wrong?" Hyukjae softly murmurs, and Donghae cries even harder. 
 
"Shh... Hey.. Don't cry... You look even more like a fish when you cry." 
 
Donghae looks up and glares at Hyukjae, still sobbing. 
 
"W-Way to make me f-feel better." Donghae says, voice shaking. Hyukjae grins, glad that Donghae's back to his usual y self. 
 
"Doesn't seem like you when you're crying. Where's the strong, annoying and undefeatable Lee Donghae?" 
"How am I undefeatable? I always screw up in court, I'm always a letdown..." 
 
"Have you forgotten how many cases you've won? Don't let a few times of losing put you down. You've always trying your best and you're always ready and willing to put in your full effort for your clients. Tell me, how is that being a letdown?" Hyukjae says, voice firm, he hand still not leaving Donghae's shoulder. 
 
"You're a winner in your own way, Donghae. Remember that." Hyukjae ruffles Donghae's hair. 
"And don't cry anymore, you look horrible." Donghae tries to hit him but Hyukjae quickly walks away. Donghae glares at him, but he realises he feels so much better. 
 
-
Donghae blushes as Hyukjae stands next to him in the pantry, as he makes himself a cup of coffee. He feels utterly embarrassed for crying like that in front of him yesterday. He expects a bunch of snarky words to come out of Hyukjae's mouth and he prepares to retort, but he's taken aback when Hyukjae looks at him worriedly. 
 
"Hey, are you okay now?" Donghae blinks in surprise, fingers tightening around his cup. 
 
"I-I'm fine." Donghae utters, looking away. 
 
"Don't." 
 
"Don't what?"
 
"Don't look at me like that." Hyukjae blinks, and clears his throat awkwardly as he reaches over Donghae to get a cup for himself. Donghae's breath hitches as he feels Hyukjae's breath against his cheeks. Hyukjae coughs awkwardly and Donghae hastily downs his coffee, before walking out of the pantry. Hyukjae turns to look at the retreating figure. 
 
---
 
"Wow congratulations, Hyukjae-ssi! Winning when it's only your first case!" 
Donghae rolls his eyes as he hears the same words being uttered over and over again and as he hears the laughter of the annoying man he detests. 
He rolls his eyes again as that annoying man steps into his office. 
"Hey Donghae-ssi."
"What?"
"I won my first case!" Donghae looks at the smirk on Hyukjae's face and slaps the man's arm away from his table. 
"And so?"
"To celebrate, let's go have lunch!" 
"No. Why should I? Let you gloat at me even more?" 
"Fine, fine..." 
Donghae doesn't look up to see the disappointed look on Hyukjae's face. 
--
 
Donghae's close to tears as he scrutinizes his papers over and over again. The trial's tomorrow and he's barely prepared. He runs his fingers through his messy hair, preparing himself for another all nighter. 
 
"Here." Donghae looks up, seeing Hyukjae standing in front of him. 
 
"What are you-"
 
"I got you tacos. From your favourite store across the street." Hyukjae scratches his head awkwardly. 
 
"How did you know-" Donghae trails off, eyes slightly narrowed at Hyukjae, but oh well, it's tacos, and Donghae can never say no to tacos. 
 
"Well you can go now." Hyukjae pauses, staring at Donghae in disbelief. 
 
"This is what I get for begging the ahjumma to make it for me despite the fact that she was closing the store already?" Hyukjae says, hands on his hips. 
 
"No one asked you to buy it for me." Donghae says, but kind of regrets it when he sees the look in Hyukjae's eyes. 
 
"Hey, I-"
 
"Enjoy it Donghae. Don't stay up too late." Hyukjae says softly, being turning and walking out of the office. Donghae doesn't know what he's feeling at the moment. 
 
--
 
It's the company's annual dinner and  as usual, Donghae sticks to Minhyuk, only to have himself forced to down several shots after losing the game of scissors paper stone to his fellow colleagues each time. He feels himself getting light headed and he finds himself unable to stop bouncing up and down in his seat. As Hyukjae slides into the seat next to his, he lets out a loud squeal before flinging his arms around Hyukjae. Hyukjae is taken aback, but after hearing Donghae's hiccups and giggles, he relaxes, finding himself chuckling at how this idiot is acting. 
 
"H-Hyukjaeeeeeeeeee.... Why is ... your hair so softtttt....." Donghae stutters, running his fingers through Hyukjae's blonde hair. Hyukjae blushes slightly, but he looks at the man in front of him, all drunk and giggly and adorable. Adorable. 
 
"Donghae, you're drunk. Come, I'll take you home." 
 
"Nooooooo.... I'm not.....I'm not drunk....." Donghae whines, wrapping his arms around Hyukjae's neck even tighter. Donghae suddenly spreads his arms open, and shouts. 
 
"Come! Let's drink more, Hyukjae!" Donghae then reaches over the counter for his half emptied glass. Hyukjae quickly takes the glass away, drinking it quickly. 
 
"Hey! That's mine!" Donghae whines, slapping Hyukjae's arm. 
 
"You've had too much, Donghae. Come on, let's go." Hyukjae says, pulling on Donghae's arm. 
Minhyuk suddenly comes over, and Hyukjae quickly pulls away. 
 
"Well, I guess I'll go home then." Hyukjae utters, pulling away from Donghae's grip on his arm. Donghae sees Hyukjae walking away and quickly stands up, wrapping his arms around Hyukjae's waist. Hyukjae's eyes widen. 
 
"Hyukjaeeee.... Take me home........" 
 
--
Hyukjae silently watches the sleeping Donghae, murmuring incoherent words, as he waits for the light to turn green. He reaches out a hand but quickly withdraws it when Donghae stirs. 
 
"Hyukjaeeeeee...... you bastard........ I deserved to win that case....."
Hyukjae chuckles. 
 
"Idiot. Even in your sleep you're scolding me."
 
-
"Hey, Donghae. Wake up, we've reached your house."
Donghae sits up, rubbing his eyes blearily. He blinks as he sees his apartment in front of him. 
 
"How did you know where my house is?" Donghae asks, still drunk and still confused. 
 
"Come on." Hyukjae coughs awkwardly. 
 
"Go home." Donghae only nods, too sleepy to understand what's going on. Hyukjae holds onto Donghae's hand and Donghae pauses, looking at Hyukjae curiously. Hyukjae quickly lets go, shaking his head and telling Donghae to get home. 
 
--
It's been three days since the day Donghae was drunk and Hyukjae thinks he's about to go crazy. All he can think about is Donghae, Donghae, Donghae. He's trying so badly, to hold back the feelings he's kept to himself all this while. It isn't working very much though. Five years since he first saw Donghae... And those puppy eyes still make him weak. All those harsh comments, those sarcastic banters, those hateful glares... Nothing. They all meant nothing. Hyukjae was only expressing himself and hoping to get closer to him using the only way he knew. 
 
Hyukjae nearly drops his mug as Donghae walks into the pantry. And as he scrambles to place the mug back onto the table, Donghae raises an eyebrow.
 
"Hey, are you okay? You seem... quite out of it."
 
"Yeah... I'm fine..." Hyukjae mutters.
 
"Erm... Okay." Donghae turns to return to his office. 
 
"Donghae." Donghae stops, facing Hyukjae again. 
 
"Yes...?"
 
"I..."
Hyukjae places his mug down and moves towards Donghae. Donghae jumps when Hyukjae suddenly pushes him towards the wall, trapping him under his arms. 
 
"Hey, watch it. You do know that this is outrage of modesty, I could sue you-"
Donghae is silenced by a pair of lips on his. He almost melts into the kiss for a second but he quickly pushes Hyukjae away, face red. 
 
"You-"
 
"You're not in court now, Donghae." Hyukjae murmurs, gently thumbing Donghae's cheeks, looking at him in such a fond way Donghae feels his cheeks heating up. 
 
"Hyukjae, I don't know what you're trying to do, but-" Donghae feels himself nearly out of breath as he's pulled into a hug. 
 
"Don't push me away anymore, Donghae ah."
Donghae opens his mouth, but no words come out.
 
"It's been five years since we first met. Five years..." Donghae looks up into Hyukjae's slightly watery eyes. 
 
"Five years since I fell in love with you." Donghae's eyes widen, and he doesn't know what to do, albeit still in Hyukjae's embrace. 
 
"But-"
 
"You don't know how much it hurts, Donghae." Donghae looks at Hyukjae, biting his lips as he sees the little tears at the corner of his eyes. 
 
"You don't know how much it hurts when I see you with Minhyuk." And Donghae remembers. 
 
Hyukjae who appears whenever he's with Minhyuk. Hyukjae whose smirk when he wins the case irks him to no end. Hyukjae who buys him drinks and supper when they stay late nights in the office. Hyukjae who constantly fights with him and teases him. Hyukjae... who has always been there. 
 
Donghae realises. And the corners of his eyes start heating up. He  now realises what those little butterflies he always tries to ignore are. 
 
Donghae's words come out contradicting the thoughts and feelings he has. Donghae's afraid. 
 
"Hyukjae, I don't know, I-" 
Hyukjae's eyes immediately become downcast and Donghae hastily adds on. 
 
"Hyukjae, Minhyuk is- 
 
"It's okay, Donghae-ssi." Hyukjae snaps. 
"I understand." 
 
"Hyukj-" 
 
"Good bye, Donghae-ssi. I'm sorry for bothering you." And Hyukjae pulls away from the embrace, turning to walk away. Donghae grabs onto his coat and Hyukjae stops. But Donghae lets go as he feels a whirlwind of emotions running through him. He watches Hyukjae walk away. 
 
The next morning, Donghae sees Hyukjae and tries to approach him but Hyukjae picks his file up and quickly walks away. Donghae wants to follow, but is stopped when their boss calls for him. Donghae tries again in the afternoon when he sees Hyukjae in the pantry. 
 
"H-Hyukjae." Hyukjae stills at the voice, before clearing his throat and looking directly Donghae. Donghae feels kind of intimidated by the gaze. 
 
"Yes, Donghae?" 
 
"I- I wanted to tell you that I-That day, I-" 
Hyukjae looks at Donghae and wants to respond, but Minhyuk suddenly comes up and clings onto Donghae's arm. 
 
"Hyung, lets go have lunch!" 
Anger and hurt flash across Hyukjae's eyes and he turns, walking away. 
 
"No, wait Hyukjae!" Donghae says, following Hyukjae as he walks out of the doors of the firm. 
 
"Hyukjae!" Donghae calls out, gripping tightly onto Hyukjae arms. 
 
"What?" Hyukjae says, a bit harsher than he intended to. Donghae is surprised to see Hyukjae's eyes bloodshot, as if he's been-
 
"What do you want, Donghae?"
 
"I-" 
 
"I thought you made it clear to me already Donghae."
 
"No, you don't understand-"
 
"Yeah. I don't understand, you. I don't understand you at all, Donghae." Hyukjae says, before shrugging Donghae's hand off his arm, and then walking away.  Donghae bites his lip, brushing his tears away hastily. 
 
-
It's been a week since Hyukjae hasn't talked to him. Donghae's been working on a new case and he's utterly troubled by it. It's 2am and he's still in the office, preparing for the trial that's going to be happening in three days. He puts his head onto the desk and groans, feeling his eyes slowly closing. Before he's able to completely fall asleep however, he hears footsteps approaching his desk. He hears the sound of the footsteps stopping, and the sound of something being placed onto his table. And then he feels hands running through his hair, and he unconsciously leans against it. The stress from the preparation for the trial, the worry about him not speaking to Hyukjae, the turmoil of emotions he's been going through, it all goes away when that pair of hands gently caresses his hair, and he sniffles quietly. He hears a soft sigh, and then the hands leaving his head. 
Donghae quickly grabs into the wrist of the person, knowing who it is. 
 
"No," Donghae manages to choke out, not knowing when he even started crying. 
"Don't leave, please. I'm sorry..." Hyukjae's eyes soften as he sees tears streaming down Donghae's cheeks. 
 
"Donghae-"
 
"I'm an idiot, I know. A fool to not see what's always been by my side. A fool who denies his own feelings. A fool who's in love with Lee Hyukjae. I-" Donghae's voice trembles as he sobs even more. Hyukjae's eyes widen as he hears Donghae's confession. 
 
"It's all right if you hate me. I deserve it." Donghae mutters, voice thick with tears. 
 
"Idiot." Hyukjae murmurs, and he gently cups Donghae's face, wiping away his tears, before bringing him into an embrace. Donghae cries even harder, hands gripping tightly onto Hyukjae's shirt.  
 
"Silly, why are you crying?" Hyukjae murmurs, wiping the tears away continuously. He feels his heart clench at the sight of the idiot in front of him. 
 
"What did I say about you crying?" Hyukjae mutters, placing his arms around Donghae's waist. Donghae blushes at the action, before stuttering.
 
"Y-You said I look l-like a f-fish." 
 
"Right. And you look like one now." Hyukjae teases and Donghae pouts. 
 
Hyukjae tightens his arms that are around Donghae. 
 
"Say it again." 
 
"Hmm?" Donghae looks up, his watery puppy eyes making Hyukjae's heart pound even more. 
 
"Say it again. What you said a few minutes ago." Donghae blushes, eyes looking everywhere but at Hyukjae. 
 
"Come on, say it." Hyukjae reaches out his hands to tilt Donghae's chin, making him look right into his eyes. Donghae sees nothing but sincerity and love. 
 
"I-I love you, Hyukjae." Hyukjae grins, feeling his heart exploding. He engulfs Donghae into his embrace, making Donghae's face press tightly against his chest. 
 
"I love you too, idiot." 
 
As Donghae gazes into Hyukjae's eyes, Hyukjae leans in, and they have their first kiss. 
-
 
"Hey, idiot." Donghae looks up, only to see his boyfriend with a taunting smile on his face. 
 
"I won the case again just now. Lunch is on you!" 
 
Donghae rolls his eyes, pouting. 
 
"And you said you love me." Hyukjae hears the low mutter and he walks over to Donghae, cupping the latter's cheeks. 
 
"Stop pouting, you know I love you." Hyukjae leans down to peck Donghae's lips. Donghae blushes, muttering to himself. 
 
"Bastard." 
 

"Your bastard." Hyukjae grins, and Donghae pulls Hyukjae down again for another kiss. 

 
-
Sorry if this was disappointing. Do comment! :)