Where it all began

The Heavyweight Fate

"Doctor Naomi ! Glad i found you. There's a patient that just came from the E.R. that's scheduled to see you," said Avery the nurse. "Oh! Thank you Avery. It's not everyday that a dietician gets a patient from the emergency room," that was what i told her. I wondered what was my patient's case today. So, I took my stethoscope and headed towards level six. Wait, isn't this the premium suite? "Oooh.. boy this is going to be interesting."

  When i walked into the patient's room, there was a man around my age, perhaps, lying on the bed. So, I took his chart and read it. The man had obesity. He was taken to the E.R as he had trouble breathing while playing with his dog. "Hello, I am Doctor Naomi Lee your assigned dietician. How are you feeling today?," I said. "Hello doc. Well enough i guess looking at the fact that i almost died yesterday. My name is Jason," he said. I asked him what made he become what he was. It was when he was in high school where he had his first heartbreak. He started eating a lot of fast food. He didn't know why he did that but maybe just to pass time faster i guessed because fast food so fast time. Get it? No? Not funny enough? Okay.

The man had a rather interesting story to me. He asked for my help, "Hey doc can you please heal me? Make me fit and healthy again," he pleaded. "Well Jason that's what I do for  living. I am going to help you become a prince charming again," I said. He was handsome in my opinion. I explained to him that all the fast food he ate such as burgers, french fries and fried chicken are all high in calories and fat. That was why he had trouble in breathing because oxygen in his blood were low as his vessels were blocked with fats and his heart couldn't function well. Jason wanted to start working or continue his Masters in law but he had to stop after his degree because of his conditions.

Jason wanted to make his mother happy again. The way his eyes shined whenever he talked about his mother amazed me. She put up a lot of efforts in stopping him from burying all his sorrows and troubles whilst eating fast food. Jason and I made a plan. We would make him slim down to his ideal weight of 60 kg from his monstrous 110 kg. That was a lot of work. "Well Jason, starting from today, your diets are going to be no oil, no butter only boiled and better," I told. He nodded hesitantly as he knew leaving old habits is never easy for someone.

When Jason was out of the hospital, his way of living changed a complete 360° drastically. No more life threatening fat filled fast food. He still stayed in contact with me through emails to ask opinions about dieting and exercising. Fast food is processed food filled with preservatives, cooked in oil and is very unhealthy. So, Jason's diet now is the best diet to make him as fit a fiddle. I met him only once after he was out of the hospital. When his weight reached the 90 kg mark. I wondered how he looked like nowadays. We became good friends eventually. One day, Jason did a surprise to me when he reached the 60 kg mark that we wanted. He looked like a prince out of a book. I was mesmerized.

Our friendship developed from a doctor's patient to friends and now lovers. Who would have thought someone I helped save his life to someone that completes my life that used to be empty and occupied only with work. Jason now comes home from his own law firm, eats dinner with me together, forgetting all about his fast food heartbreak. His mother is happy that he married someone like me who saved her son. Jason and I vowed to never eat fast food and get our cup of Joe's together every morning. The person I treated six years ago, the person I befriended, now becomes the person i share my life with. I wanted to thank fast food but Jason wanted to sue them. Oh well, maybe fate really wants us to be together in a way nobody had ever expected.

 

 

Word count : 731.