The Beginning

Pink Peonies

The gentle breeze swept by under the beautiful moonlit sky, twinkling with stars and reflecting itself on the ocean. The waves rose up to the shore calmly and quietly only to be pulled back down again. It is usually lonely and empty at the beach during the night time but tonight wasn’t one of them. There were two individuals standing there, facing each other – toes buried in the soft sand, not minding anything around them. The young lady in particular stared into the pair of hopeful eyes in front of her with slightly agape. She traveled her eyes down to what he was holding – a small shining and alluring white gold diamond ring. The design was simple; the silver band was thin making the small diamond pop out and along it were a bunch of mini diamonds rounding the shape at the center.

Her breath hitched but it wasn’t because of the ring. She was speechless and couldn’t think of anything to say at the situation. She half expected this day to come but the other half, she was surprised. She wasn’t prepared for any of this. She stared back into his eyes; hers filled with a mixture of worry and excitement. She could feel her pulse.

“Will you marry me, Bomi?” He repeated again after the long moment of silence and this time it made her feel pressured to respond quickly.

“I…” was all she could manage to get out.

After that, Bomi felt her hand in his; him, gently brushing his thumb at the back of her hand to assure her that it wasn’t a dream.

She watched him as he slowly tried to bring himself to say the next words, “I’ve been thinking about this for a long time,” He said in his usual soft tone. “And I decided that I really do love you to the point that I want to be with you for the rest of our lives.” He smiled as he said the last line. “I know you’re surprised and all of this is very new to you…and even to me it is. I was worried and nervous about how things will go tonight but I couldn’t wait anymore. Whenever we pass by families on the streets, I also envision us to be like them one day – living happily with children our own.”

The last bit hit her.

The young man she has been dating for the past three years is proposing to her. The man she loves has mustered all of his courage to propose to her on this night. He thought of their future and this specific night to say those four words to her, full of sincerity and sureness about everything.

But why? Why wasn’t she happy?

Anyone would be overwhelmed with happiness at a moment like this but she couldn’t bring herself to feel it. Instead, she feels guilty, confused, and frightened.

Guilty because she wasn’t feeling a certain way she should be feeling.

Confused because she didn’t know why.

Frightened because she’s unsure of what is to come next if she gives an answer.

What should she say? The answer that is expected to be said didn’t want to come out at all. She stood rooted at her spot. What was wrong? The male is a great young man – always gentle, loving and caring. Although there were times that didn’t make up of good memories, he manages to make her smile again. He has always been sincere and honest to her; he is someone hard to find. Bomi knows this but it was difficult to say the one simple word that wants to be heard.

Bomi felt a small squeeze on her hand which pulled her out of her thoughts. She looked back up into his eyes, almost forgetting he was standing in front of her. His eyes grew worried by the second. The hesitance of a reply made him feel uneasy as his hold on her hand became a little tighter than before.

“Please say something.” He whispered as his voice wavered at the last word.

Just say yes. She told herself. You love him, don’t you? So why won’t you? She wouldn’t lose him will she? Trying to calm herself down, she took a deep breath.

“I love you and you know that, Mark but I…” As if the next words were caught in , she couldn’t say the next words.

Upon seeing this, Mark pulled her to his chest and enveloped her into his arms. “It’s okay, I understand. You don’t need to force yourself,” He said, kissing her head. “Don’t worry. I can wait.”

She hugged him back, clenching her fists and then she starts to feel her eyes welling up with tears. She bit down her bottom lip to make sure she didn’t begin to sob.

He was gentle.

tumblr_lkl614QWHQ1qfamg6.png

Months had gone by since then.

Bomi felt relieved that their relationship went fine after that day but going back to normal wasn't one of them. In fact, she picked up on the little hints Mark would drop from time to time regarding marriage. She brushes it off but even then, that doesn't make it any less suffocating. She's upset that Mark wouldn't let it rest. He may or may not say things with the intention of her picking it up or hearing it, yet it still doesn't make her happy especially with all of this pressure. Even her mom asks her from time to time when will she get married and she just doesn't respond.

The thing about Bomi is she just hopes she can pass by everyday living life simply, with no worries or complications. The thought of what she hopes her life will become so far ahead of the future didn't cross her mind as much and adding marriage...

Then, a sudden honk from behind brought her out of her thoughts.

She looked ahead to see that the light had turned green. With her hands gripping on the steering wheel, she proceeded driving forward.

When Bomi finally arrived to the café she works at, she was greeted by an angry manager, Jaebum. She was pulled to the side so that the customers and the workers wouldn't hear them.

"You're late again." He said sternly.

"Sorry."

"And it's your third time," He continued, trying hard not to go off. "You know after a second time, you're fired."

With a composed face, she calmly answered, "Yes."

"And I could report to the Boss about this and knowing her, she wouldn't be happy to hear this." Each word he said, he nodded which he does unconsciously whenever he tries not to raise his voice. "But I'm not because you know why?"

"..."

"That's right it's because I'm nice, so I won't. Do you have any excuses this time?" Jaebum crossed his arms.

Bomi slightly shook her head, already used to this conversation. Even if there was a good reason, he'll just brush it off as an excuse. "I don't." 

"Good. Now get to work."

Even though she was only five minutes late, the manager is as strict as ever - most likely being influenced by the boss since she did lectured him once for not being too hard on them and everyone heard it. Bomi nodded in response and approached Naeun, who was quietly placing three slices of cakes on three seperate plates.

Without looking up, Naeun spoke, "Got scolded by Manager, again?"

"Isn't that obvious?" Bomi sighed. "This time I wasn't as late. Big deal, but I'm starting to get used to it so it doesn't really bother me." She says this while watching Naeun pour a nice smooth pink liquid with strawberry chunks in one cup and another.

"I doubt Manager will report you or anyone about being late multiple times. I mean, he doesn't have the heart to even if he acts tough." Naeun shrugged and after finishing up, she placed the tray on the countertop. "Still, you should start getting used to your new shift soon."

"Asking me to adjust so fast isn't as easy as you think." Bomi said.

Naeun leaned over the counter a little to study the other young woman's face. "Hmm..." She thought loudly and Bomi could only look at her weirdly. "Sooo...How are you and Mark doing?"

Bomi's eyebrows knit together at the sudden question. "Why?"

"Ohh, I don't know. You always told me he keeps hinting about marriage these days. Aren't you getting tired of it?”

Bomi looked away.

“You already rejected it once right? But I can’t understand you. If you love him so much, why can’t you just say yes already?” Naeun raised a brow with a curious expression, “I’m starting to pity him, you know.” She paused before starting again, “This will only keep repeating.”

The girl forced out a smile. “I know.” She still feels guilty. Although Mark did not show his emotions, she knew he was deeply pained that night and she even starts to wonder sometimes if she deserves such a great guy like him. Where does she want to take their relationship to?  “Now’s not the time for this.” She took the tray in her hands and walked away, leaving a pouting Naeun behind.

tumblr_lkl614QWHQ1qfamg6.png

It was around 4PM when Bomi’s shift was over. After cleaning up a bit, she felt her cellphone vibrate in her pocket. She slipped it out and read the text that was sent to her by her boyfriend:

Are you free?

Yeah, I’m just getting off of work.

Let’s eat out tonight. I’ll come pick you up at your house at 7, ok?

Sounds good.

Look forward to it :)

Bomi smiled a little and brought her phone close to her chest. They’ve been dating for three years and almost into their fourth. They met during their second year of University through their friends and started developing feelings for each other. Mark is still a student and he also work part time at a restaurant. Bomi, on the other hand, dropped out of University not long ago. She doesn’t have a goal yet and still isn’t sure what she’s interested in. Instead of wasting her time, she decided to take a break from school to find what she truly likes to do but that hasn’t happened yet.

“Hey,”

Startled by the sudden voice close to her ear, Bomi jumped from her spot and looked over her shoulder to find Naeun close to her face – she was smiling.

“You scared me!” Bomi could still feel her heart pounding from the surprise.

Naeun laughed. “That was the point,” she gestured. “Look at you smiling. I’m guessing it’s from Mark.”

Bomi rolled her eyes. “Stop being so nosy and get back to work.”

“Whatever. You think he’s going to propo-“

Without letting Naeun finish her sentence, Bomi lightly pushed Naeun’s head away. “I’m going now. See you tomorrow.” She didn’t let her friend finish as she started on her way out of the café and slightly bumping into a young man who was making his way into the place.

“Sorry.” They both said in unison. He stopped in his tracks to look at her but Bomi didn’t look at his face and instead, she advanced outside of the café.

“Jinyoungie! Just in time!”

Oh god.

Jackson made his way around the counter and threw an arm around Jinyoung’s shoulder. “I’m glad I get to see my pal today.”

Jinyoung eyed him. “I don’t remember being your pal.” He said, shrugging Jackson’s arm off. Jinyoung started working at the café two months ago. Before that, he worked at a grocery store but unfortunately, he got fired. His friend introduced this job to him, since he knows a friend that works here – which is Jackson. Jackson worked here longer than Jinyoung has but he really acts like the new guy. He just does whatever he wants. Even he’s surprised he hasn’t been fired yet.

“Leave him alone. Can’t you tell the poor guy is uncomfortable around you?” Naeun chimed in.

Tauntingly, Jackson answered, “No one’s talking to you, i-d-i-o-t.”

“Say it again!”

One thing he knows for sure, these two always go at it whenever they see each other – like little kids even though they’re both twenty. He has to admit, it’s amusing watching them bicker. The work environment here is a lot different than when he worked at the grocery store, of course. But he never talked to anyone at his old job and never got to know anyone but here, it was different. Everyone seemed close to one another or at least most of them. It’s not like Jinyoung has met everyone here, since he works at different shifts than other people he may have never seen before.

“Ahem.”

The two separated from one another quickly as soon as they saw Jaebum approaching them. “Why aren’t you guys working? You think you’re here to have fun? You want to get fired?”

Jackson opened his mouth to speak, “But Jae-“

Jaebum's sharp stare made him rethink what he was going to say.

“I mean – Manager, it’s slow right now, so…”

“And? That gives you a right to do whatever you want?”

“No…”

“You too, Naeun, don’t think I don’t see you getting all chatty with everyone to avoid doing work.”

Naeun lowered her eyes, embarrassed and she could hear Jackson snickering beside her.

“Get back to work or you guys will have to wash the dishes.”

Just like that, the two hurriedly went back to their positions. “By the way, you’re closing the café tonight, Jinyoung.”

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hey guys! Sorry for the super late update. I worked on this chapter for about 3 months and it was on and off for me. I couldn't get to start it and when I did, I quickly lost motivation. This was kind of like the introduction chapter. It was supposed to be longer but I decided to save some of it for chapter 2 since it was getting too long (this chapter was like 2.2k words and I feel accomplished for that). Hoped you guys like it so far! I'll try to bring in chapter 2 as soon as I can.

By the way, I didn't proofread it so there may be some mistakes.

Thank you!

 image