001

The Maze Runner

My name is Min Yoongi. My name is Min Yoongi. My name is Min Yoongi. My name is Min Yoongi. 

Yoongi repeated those five words in his brain. He had forgotten everything, his birthdate, his phone number, his friends. 

The creaking of the metal lift made it worse for him to concentrate. Creaaakkk. Yoongi closed his eyes and leaned against the metal.

The metal lift was going at a incredibly fast speed. It was going to the red light and finally came to a stop. Sunlight came through the holes.

"Come on newbie. You gotta get on workin'." A hand came into Yoongi's view. Taking the hand, he was pulled up quickly and saw ten or so boys. 

The bright sun already made him sweat into his pores. He could feel the circle of sweat staining on his grey t-shirt already. Everything was green and old. There were only five buildings. The grass was either burned up or torn out. Rock surrounded the whole area. 

"Newbie," a boy called out. That was another thing. There weren't any girls in this camp. No sign of them. 

"Newbie," the boy called out again. "Meet the boys." There weren't many boys in the camp. They were all in ragged clothes and covered in dirt, the weirdest thing was that they had the brightest smiles on their face. 

"I'm Jin and I'm the oldest of this fine establishment. Don't you dare call me ahjussi or an alpaca, or you'll be hit immediately," Jin said. 

"Taehyung. First to come into this hell," Taehyung, a boy with a surprisingly deep voice introduced. He seemed blank and unapproachable. 

"Jimin, and I've got chocolate abs," Jimin, the guy with the blonde hair and small voice, bragged. He even showed Yoongi his abs, but the other boys seemed uninterested. 

"Namjoon. I'm the leader, even though this grandpa was here is the oldest," Namjoon explained and earned a head smack from Jin. 

"Jung JungKook. And no, Jung Daehyun isn't my brother," JungKook stated. 

"Jung Hoseok. Jung Daehhyun or Jung JungKook aren't any one of my brothers, by the way. And I'm your hope!" Hoseok exclaimed. 

"Jung Daehyun, I'm a good singer and these two kids," he pointed to Hoseok and JungKook, "aren't my brothers." 

"Why don't you tell us your name newbie?" Taehyung asked rudely. 

"My name is Min Yoongi." 

"Yoongi Yoongi that's as pale is sugar~!" Taehyung teased. 

"Alright. This kid already caused enough trouble, we're gonna have to make up the work. Kid, you come with me," Namjoon ordered. The boys parted and split up. Namjoon brought Yoongi into an old brick building. 

"Today, we're going to be butchering some boar Seunghoon caught. He's a Runner, that's why he wasn't there for the welcoming ceremony," Namjoon explained. A couple of boys came through a door carrying pink and dirt-covered meat. 

"Seungyoon, Jinwoo. Bring the boar up on this table. Lets show the newbie how to butcher some boar," Namjoon ordered. Once the boar was up on the steel table, Namjoon held up a silver cleaver. 

"I'll show it to you a few times, but once I'm done, you're slicing this baby." Yoongi nodded quickly. Namjoon raised his arm and sent a powerful force, creating an ear pitching screech into the air. Holding his ears, Yoongi watched the butcher in pure amazement. Namjoon handed the cleaver to Yoongi. 

"Your turn," he smirked. Yoongi gulped as he shakingly raised the cleaver. Blood splatter onto every boys' shirts. 

"Come with me." Namjoon grabbed a bucket of blood before he motioned for Yoongi to follow. He led them into a room. A room with no windows and with just a sink and a urinal. No comment was made on the indescribable smell.

"Shut the door." Namjoon motioned Yoongi to sit in a chair while he put the boar blood into his hair. 

"You newbie, you need to man up, by that, we're going to we're going to dye your hair. And black is just not the right color to be out in this hell-like place," Namjoon explained. 

"Red? Won't it smell?" Yoongi complained. Namjoon slapped blood on Yoongi's forehead. 

"Newbie. Do we look like we care about our appearances? We've been out here for years or so. I came with black hair, look at this blonde hair. It ain't black isn't it?" Namjoon's response quickly shut Yoongi's mouth. 

It had been an hour or so before Yoongi's hair was completely red. Namjoon didn't care to wipe or clean his blood-stained hands, he just led Yoongi out and showed him out to everybody. 

"He's seriously pale," Junhwe, another Butcher, commented. 

Namjoon snorted. "So what? He'll turn dark really soon." 

"Yoongi Yoongi that's a pale as sugar. As pale as sugar. We should nickname him Suga then," Taehyung suggested. 

Jimin snorted this time. "And what? We'll call you V then." 

"Sure! Suga Suga that's as pale as sugar," Taehyung, now known as 'V', teased. Then a loud boom filled the room. Metal against metal. Rock against rock. One final boom came and the land was silent once again, with only sounds of hard work.

"Alright. The sun's about to go down. And you know what that means, the Mourners," Namjoon said and then smirked. "Today is a special day. We should create a bonfire just for the newbie. Hope he won't become another shuck-faced shank like the ones we had to Banish."

It grew dark. Very dark, with only the moon as a flashlight. The boys gathered up sticks from the woods and set them up on fire. Yellow and orange was the only thing everybody saw.

"Hey newbie. How was today?" Jin asked. He sat next to him on the log. 

"Eh. Namjoon made me butcher a huge boar," Yoongi said. 

"Yeah. You're just lucky you came here late. Or you would've spent a month with that shank." He pointed to Taehyung, who was currently wrestling with Jimin. 

"He seems pretty cool," Yoongi said. Jin glanced at him.

"You know what? You're right. Without him, there'd be no Rules. It'll be all chaos. And we don't want that," Jin explained. A creaking was heard. "You hear that? That's the Maze changing. It changes every night. That's why we keep track of what the Runners see every day when they run."

"Why are we even here though?" Yoongi asked. 

"Good question. Why not go out there and find out?" Jin challenged and then chuckled. "Of course, it'd be against the Rules to go in the Maze if you aren't a Runner."

"What if I want to run and see what's out there?" Yoongi asked. Jin glanced at him again. 

"Newbie. You know what? You're curious. You're either stupid or an idiot. No one wants to willingly go into the Maze. You need to know what's out there. Without these walls, we'd be as good as dead. There are Mourners out there. They will not hesitate to kill you Yoongi. Trust me. You don't want to go out in the Maze," Jin explained. A shriek came from the Maze.

"What was that?" Yoongi questioned. 

"That? That was a Mourner. They are big and scary. But they'll only come out at night."

"What'll happen if someone stays a night in the Maze?" Yoongi asked again. 

"I don't know. We don't know. No one's survived a night to tell us." A person crashed into Yoongi. It was Jimin. 

"Sorry newbie," Jimin apologized. "No one can beat the ever-so-strong Taehyung."

"Maybe I can," Yoongi said. 

"Oh yeah newbie? Let's see," Taehyung challenged. 

"And if I win, you stop calling me a newbie," Yoongi dared. 

"Oh yeah? How about a shuck-faced shank then?" The boys in the circle cheered loudly. 

"If I win, you'll be called a pony-loving piece of then." The boys 'oohed' again. 

"You have no idea what you just did shank," Taehyung growled. Taehyung charged forward to Yoongi and drove him to the dirt. After he was on the ground, Taehyung kicked Yoongi in the abdomen. Yoongi closed his eyes. Yoongi then had a flashback. WICKED is good. Yoongi then saw him, a younger version, and a girl on metal tables. "Yoongi! Look at me. Remember me. Remember us. Okay?" The girl cried, tears flooded her face as Yoongi nodded, also crying. 

"Look what you did Taehyung. You knocked the new shank out. Why'd you go so hard on him?" Jin asked Taehyung. The boys then lifted Yoongi up and brought him to the woods. They arrived a building and laid him down on a wooden bed with pieces of cloth stitched together as a blanket. 

WICKED is good.