Chapter 3

Beneath the Mask

Story:Beneath the Mask, Chapter 3
Warning: Fluffy scene from America's childhood, with Big brother England, but, again, as mentioned in the description, this NOT a pairing story, people, but rather a family and friendship centered story.
Disclaimer:I don't own Hetalia...


England had been setting on the sofa in America's guest room, debating whether he to go see if America was alright, or not. It had to have been at least fifteen minutes by now, and America hadn't acted he like he was going to take that long.

Sighing, he began to get up, heading towards the door, however, he immediately stopped, when America finally got back. England jumped when they almost collided.

"Oh, England, I didn't know you'd be standing there. Sorry it took me so long, I wasn't really feeling that well, I guess." America smiled, awkwardly scratching the back of his head.

"I see. I assume you're feeling better?" England inquired, raising an eyebrow at the fact that America, of all of people, could actually get sick when he didn't even know what a cold was.

"Yeah, I'm fine now. Anyway, England, there's this super scary horror movie called 'Mama' that Japan seems really fond of. Man, dude, we've got to watch it," America told him, seemingly trying to divert the conversation. At that moment his smile slightly faded. "I mean, if you want to, that is..."

England swallowed painfully when he saw the look in the former colony's eyes. Despite his smile, he could easily tell that it was forced.

Not that he would admit it, but he didn't like seeing America forcing himself to smile like that, so after a moment, he sighed, for once allowing himself to give in. "Well, if Japan says it good, I suppose it couldn't hurt."

Then again, Japan was...

"Sweet!" America exclaimed excitedly. "I'll go try to set up the DVD player! You can set down if you want."

"Right..." England muttered, going back to where he was sitting moments before. That's when he heard his cell phone ringing. Taking it out of his pocket, he was surprised to find that it was Japan.

"Hello?" he said, answering the phone.

"England-san?" came the Asian's voice.

"Yeah, it's me. Japan, is that you?" England wanted to know.

"Hai, are you with America-san right now?" Japan asked.

"Yeah, something happened in England, so my boss asked me to stay in America for the next few weeks." England explained. "Why? Did something happen? You sound distressed."

"Actually, I got the same message, and I was wondering if I could talk to America-san. I tried calling him, but it didn't ring. Then America's brother...I think...Canada was his name...said that you were with America-san." Japan told him.

"I see... That git probably just let his phone die. Hold on one second." he sighed, before looking up to see America crouched over on the floor, apparently frustrated with the DVD Player. "Hey, America. Japan's on the phone. He says he needs to talk to you."

America jumped, startled, quickly rubbing his eyes, before turning to face him. He got up, running over. "Oh, Japan wants to talk to me? Did something happen?" he asked.

"Just answer the... America, were you crying?" England looked at him a little worried.

"No, of course not. Hero's never cry, dude!" America shooed his hand, dismissively.

"...Right..." England could easily tell that the American was bluffing, but said nothing further. "Well, here's the phone. You'd better not mess it up, like last time."

"Hey, it's not my fault that Russia took such a liking to it..." America grumbled at the reminder.

"Whatever, you wanker. Just take the phone already." England said irritably, as he handed him the phone.

"Yo, Japan, you there?" America asked, smiling as he brought the phone to his ear.

"Hai." he heard Japan answer.

"So what up?" America wanted to know.

"Well, a little while ago, I started preparing to head to the Airport, but my boss suddenly contacted me, saying my flight had been canceled. He told me I'd probably have to stay in America for about a week...and, well I..." Japan trailed off into silence, and before he could have possibly said anything more, America cut in.

"Aw, man, you too? Something also happened with England. If you want to come over to my place, it's cool. We could totally watch that movie you were telling me about a few months ago." America offered.

"That would be fine, thank you. Though I do apologize for bothering you, America-san." said Japan.

"Naw, don't sweat it, dude, it's not your fault. Anyway, where are you right now?" America wanted to know.

"...Actually, I'm still right in the conference room right now. I'm going to find a taxi. I'll be there soon." Japan told him.

"Alright, sweet, see ya then!" America smiled again.

"Hai. Arigato." Japan thanked him, before hanging up.

"Japan is coming over, I presume?" England inquired, as America gave him back the cell phone.

America nodded. "Yeah, I probably need to go and straighten up some of the bedrooms."

As America spoke, England couldn't help but notice the seemingly depressed tone in his voice. He stayed silent, sure he'd heard wrong. He wasn't even sure why he was getting so worried. Was it because he still thought of himself as America's older brother figure, or guardian? Wait, that was stupid question. Of course he still felt that way, at least some, but why was he getting so... Ah, what was thinking?! It was just his imagination, he was sure. After all, America had been so cheerful when on the phone just a moment ago. So it was obvious he was simply over-thinking things.

Besides, America couldn't get depressed even if it slapped him up-side the head. No, he was just too confident and cheerful all the time to be able to get depressed, but,still... nobody was always happy. Everyone got sad at some point or another.

And, either way, if America did get depressed, he knew that he had people he could talk to, didn't he?

Bloody hell, there he went again; worrying over something that could mean nothing at all!

But what if it wasn't just 'nothing'?

"America, were you crying?"

"No, of course not. Hero's never cry, dude!"

America's words echoed in his head, and earlier's memories from the World Conference suddenly flashed through his head causing him to wonder if the git even knew howto rely on someone else.

America had always had an obsession with being a hero to those around him. His favorite characters in movies were always ones would do anything to ensure the safety and happiness of others, even it meant throwing themselves in front of a dagger to protect everyone else, and make them happy. They'd do anything to keep from burdening others with their own problems, and also do anything to ease everyone else's troubles.

Unfortunately, in real life, there weren't really 'heroes' per say, for every person, and more-so, every nation would always be disliked by someone.

But America was still a fairly young nation, despite everything his country has went through, and because of that, he still had dreams. So, no matter what, he wanted more than anything for America to be able to live freely and as happy as possible.

"Hey, Britain, do you mind getting the door?! I'm kind a busy right this second!" he jumped, when he was suddenly snapped out of his thoughts by America's voice, just then beginning to hear a low ringing coming from the kitchen.

Japan was there, he realized. Getting up, he replied back, saying that he would. When England got to the front door, Japan was looking up at the sky for some reason with a slightly distant look in his eyes.

"Ah, England-san. Konnichiwa." he greeted, bowing respectfully.

"Hello, Japan. Come on in." England briefly nodded in response. Gesturing for him to come in, he held open the door further, so he, himself, was out of the way.

"Arigatou, gozaimasu." Japan stepped in, taking a brief moment to look around. "Is America-san up stairs?"

"I believe so." England answered. "He said he needed to straighten up something, but I presume he'll be back down shortly, so feel free to take a seat in the guest room until then."

"I will, thank you." Japan nodded, giving a small smile.

"Meanwhile, I'm going to see if America has any tea around. I could make you some, if you'd like." England offered, kindly.

Japan immediately paled at the thought of England's 'cooking', or things related, but nervously smiled, politely holding up a hand. "I'm fine, thank you."

England rose an eyebrow. "Are you sure? I don't mind."

"No, It's really fine." Japan shook his head.

"Well, alright then." England shrugged, before making his way to the kitchen, leaving Japan to himself.

Upstairs, America had just finished making up two of the three beds in his house, and was now picking up some stuff on the floor, when he glanced over to see a certain green plush toy, which he hadn't seen in practically decades. Then again, he couldn't really remember the last time he'd even been in that room.

"Aw, man, I'd totally forgot I had this." he said, reaching down to pick it up, when a sudden memory flashed before him. It was back from the old days, when he was still just an innocent colony.

"America? Lad, is something the matter?" England asked in worry, when he came in the bedroom, to see the small shaking lump in the covers, which was obviously America. The Englishman could tell that he was crying. Thunder roared outside, causing the little nation to start quivering even harder than before.

"E-England?" he cried, a little startled. "Is the monster mad at me? Did I do something wrong? I didn't mean to..."

"Shhh...it's okay." England's voice soothed, as he crouched down next to the bed, gently pulling the covers down from smaller nation, to reveal his tear-stained face."You don't need to worry. It's only thunder, lad, and nobody's mad at you..."

The Brit gave a small smile, tenderly wiping the moisture from around his 'younger brother's' eyes. "Nobody's going to hurt you... I promise..."

"R-really...? It's not a monster...?" America stuttered in confusion. "But it sounds so mad..."

"It's okay, it's not mad, and even less so at you..." England said, as he pushed back some of America's hair, placing a soft kiss on his forehead. "So, let's stop crying, okay?"

"Okay!" America beamed happily.

England smiled. "Also, if you want, I have something that might help you feel better, if you ever get sad again." England told him.

"Really?" America's eyes gleamed in excitement. "What is it?"

"I have to go get it, so I'll be back in minute, alright?" England told him, as America nodded. He quickly got up, leaving the room, to return only moments later, holding a small green plushy, which sort of favored a rabbit. "I used to get scared too, so I always kept good old Mister Mint Bunny with me if I felt like I needed to cry, or let things out. So then, do you think you can do the same?"

"Mmhm!" America nodded, smiling brightly as England gave him the plushy. "Thank you, England! Since it's from you, I'll always treasure it, no matter what!"

England gave a soft smile, once again pecking America's forehead, before standing back up. "Good night, America."

America snuggled close to the soft plushy, smiling. "G'night, England!"

America didn't know why, but he just started crying after that.

~ End of Chapter


A/N: What did you think? Sorry for all the fluff in the flashback, but it may just be hint of what's to come.*Wink, wink.

BTW, I'm thinking ofstartinga story a little bit like this with Romano. Because, even though I CAN relate myself to America, out of ANY Anime characters out there, I can relate myself to Romano the most (on the exception of his cussing and violent disposition).

For one, I have a brother who is constantly getting bragged on and, in a lot of aspects I often find myself beingvery jealous of him. Even in the Anime, there's a moment he starts to reflect on how he is constantly compared to Veneziano.

Secondly, I myself, believe that Romano struggles a lot with his emotions, and feelings of resentment for some of those around him.

Thirdly, he doesn't seem to have to have as many friends as his brother, and finds it very hard to rely on and trust other people, for the fear of them turning their back on him, or hurting him, or sometimes, it's simply the fact that he feels out of place.Often, because of this,he finds himself feeling very lonely.

Fourthly, even though, he thinks he cares about those 'closest' to him, he still questions if he really does.
Fifthly, he may
sometimes cut himself to 'Fill the void' and feel something, and maybe because voices keep telling him that nobody would care anyway, and even if theydid care, it wouldn't stop him because, out of anyone, he, himself, was the onewho hated him most.

Anyway, tell me if you'd really like me to write it, or think it would make a good story? If so, I'd be glad too :)