Stone

Abiogenesis
Please log in to read the full chapter
Chapter Two: Stone

[stəʊn]

Hard solid non-metallic mineral matter of which rock is made, especially as a building material

 

 

The frozen tip will turn all to stone. The badger, the bull, the fox and the boy.

Only the breath, the essence of life, can halt its tyranny.

 

 

As a young boy, Donghae had loved watching his brother work. He would drag the stool across the floor, nearly tumbling down himself in his haste and excitement, and scramble up to rest his chin in the palm of his hands; elbows jutting out on the workbench.

It was a delight to see the lightning quick movement and microscopic precision of his brother's work. His spells were that of another world. His eyes would burn a brilliant burning blue and a wind would fill the room like a rush of hot electrifying power.

Summoning the breath of life itself, his brother had called it. How Donghae had longed to be able to summon that power himself. That raw seductive power. To see the creature beneath his own hands rise up and awaken. To see life fill its glass eyes. To hear the whistle of breath within its lungs and to feel its steady beating heart. Thump. Thump. Thump.

But all Donghae had ever made were poor imitations brought about with the trickery and false movement of machinery. The invention of those with limited magical capacity. Yes, they were impressive; the hundreds of little creatures overtaking his shop were works of art and careful attention to detail. They were nothing like the generic wind-ups sold for pennies, no. Donghae's works were like living creatures themselves. Living creatures with mechanical minds, clockwork joints and a ticking motor for a heartbeat.

They were beautiful creations to the rest of world, and trash beside his brother's works. His magic was too weak to do anything more, but now was the time for change. Donghae had his heart and mind set upon the duck before him. It was Special; one of a kind. It was to be his first success.

He gave a last lingering on the duck's bill with his index finger before turning away and throwing a dark cloak over his shoulders; pulling its heavy gable hood over his until his face was shrouded in shadow. His brother had always told him to keep his face hidden in the public. It was a dangerous world out there and Donghae was an easy target for kidnappers. His brother had always been overprotective of him and it infuriated him to no end.

How Donghae had longed to be able to leave the  interior of the station clock as a child. He had always pressed his face to the glass of the clock face and squint to make out the multitude of people beneath him through the thick panes. He had never attended the Academy provided by the Mastarierd to all youths of Elsiriad. His brother had deemed it too dangerous for Donghae.

Young children were too loose with their lips and too perceptive with their gaze.

Donghae made his way over the oblivious heads of the crowd milling at the station and out into the hidden lane behind the station. It was market day today and he traced the exact route he had taken nearly two years ago when his brother had finally, finally led him up the rungs of the ladder to the station roof, through the steaming pipes and gauges and out to his first breath of fresh air.

He saw the sun and the clouds and the sky for the first time as a boy nearing maturity and the overwhelming grief and delight it brought him had rendered him speechless for a few moments. Now, Donghae stopped just as he had done on that day and gazed up at the marbled expanse of blue and white.

It was blindingly bright; so much so that Donghae was glad for the need to cover himself. He could almost feel the sun's glittering light reflecting on the polished surface of the stone road. No doubt, there would be more celebrations as troop after troop were sent away. It seemed that the pool of young, hot-blooded soldiers was bottomless. It was either that, or the war's hunger for casualties was insatiable and all these men were conscripted against their will. If all went wrong, It seemed that he too would soon see the frightful nightmare of the battlefield.

A shadow fell over the path in front of him so suddenly that Donghae had no time to react as he collided head-first into the figure who had, he swore, appeared out of thin air. Perhaps he had been too preoccupied with his thoughts to completely register his surroundings. It was all he could do to stay on his feet; swinging his arms around and around and the hood flying from his face until he found himself face to face with an equally shocked young man before tumbling painfully down onto his bottom.

Donghae remained on the cobbled road for a moment longer, head bent down as he rubbed his stinging hands on his shorts and slowly drew in a shaky breath; attempting to will away the prickling behind his eyes. His rear burned as though on fire and he could hardly shift himself, let alone stand up without making his pain evident. For now, he simply opted to sit a while longer with his fringe covering his watery eyes and pretending to be overly invested in dusting off his pants.

"Are you alright?" A voice asked softly; worry evident in his tone. A hand appeared within his line of vision and Donghae jerked back in alarm before finally peering up at the silhouette blocking out the sunlight. He couldn't make out the man's face properly but somehow trusted him completely. His voice lured him in and the warmth- God, the warmth. It was delicious in his tone and Donghae could only stare up dumbly, the heat and emotion of the few words pouring over him like sunlight. Even his injuries didn't seem all that bad.

"Yeah." He finally found his voice again and took the man's hand as he was gently pulled to his feet; relishing the heat of his skin, the slight throbbing of his pulse and the soft reality of his skin, "Yeah, I'm sorry. I wasn't looking where I was-"

His fingers suddenly slipped through the man's hand as though passing through water and he fell backwards once more; this time unable to break his fall with his hands. What? Donghae had no time to comprehend what had happened and could only see the hand and figure tilt backwards and reel away, feel the rush of adrenaline and the swooping sensation in his stomach before cracking his head on the stone- his eyes popping open at the sudden sting on his cheek and the crack of impact like a shotgun near his ear.

"See! I told you he would be alright!" The young boy bending over him twisted around to grin at his friend a little distance away. "With these people, you just need to smack 'em a little and they'll wake up." He turned back to Donghae who slowly placed a hand over his cheek, dumbfounded by the sudden turn of events. "Hey Mister!" The kid peered at him closely and grinned brightly; eyes disappearing behind his cheeks, "You okay?"

"Come on, Minseok!" The smaller boy f

Please log in to read the full chapter