Son, Papa was a Rolling Stone

A Rolling Stone

“I realized when you look at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know.”

-Mitch Albom, For One More Day


People dressed in black walked slowly into the large church that held Kristina Wu's body for display. Five boys sat close by to the woman's body, crying and weeping. The youngest of the five stood up and stepped out. He broke down and cried at the death of his mother. The second youngest, crying as well, went to get him. Close friends sat rows behind the brothers. Their uncle, Lu Han, was choking on his sobs on the death of his sister.

The tallest son, Kim Chanyeol, was comforting his uncle. The doe eyed son, Kyungsoo, was biting his lips as he took in sharp breaths. The church was filled and echoed with sobs. The dead mother's expression was serene, unlike her sons' expressions. She was finally in peace, after all, her life was far from serene. Financial problems, raising five boys on her own, drug addictions, and a broken heart caused a turmoil in her life.

Despite the consumtion of drugs, she still had a rational way of thinking. She soon came clean to raise her sons properly. To Kyungsoo, Baekhyun, Zitao, Sehun, and Chanyeol, their mother was the best mother in the world. She sacrificed time from her jobs to attend important events for them. She sacrificed so much for her sons, but before they can ever repay her, death came for her. Death came in the form of a hit and run accident.

The minister began with the funeral. It was a private funeral for only the family, and very close friends of the family. A particular man with dark brown hair, a black suit, and expensive loafers stood in the back of the room. Prayers, along with sniffling, resonated within the walls of the church. The man removed his fedora and placed it close to his chest. He pulled out the hankerchief in his chest, and removed the tears staining his cheeks. He was invited by a family member, Wu Kenji, who was a close cousin to Lu Han. The two of them were co-workers under the same modeling agency.

The youngest, after being given permission by the minsiter, came up to the piano. He looked at the crowd of mourning people dressed in black. He sat down on the bench, and let his slender fingrs play the new piano. He played the song that he always sang to his mother as a kid, Words Don't Come Easy. Chanyeol smiled a bit as he watched his younger brother perform. Everyone listened to the beautiful sounds that the piano emitted. The man softly hummed in beat with the music, as tears filled his eyes.

After his lovely performance, Baekhyun approached the podium, "I'd like to dedicate this song to the bastard that left our mother."

Lu Han looked up at his nephew with shock. Baekhyun was only four, but he spent most of his time with his aunt, Victoria. Chanyeol and Kyungsoo were probably four or three years old, while Sehun and Zitao were newborns. That was when their father finally left without a trace or note of why he left. Nothing was left for Baekhyun, Chanyeol or Kyungsoo to beg for him to stay. He never made a grand impression on his sons' lives.

The five brothers stood next to each other with a band. When the band played, Lu Han placed a sad smile upon his face as he reminisced about the song. The song that the five brothers created on their own. They remembered the frequent questions that bombarded Kristina with. She always repeated a certain phrase that became the chorus of the song.

Kyungsoo, as the band played, came down to his mother's opened coffin. He got down on his knees and placed his forehead against her coffin. Tears trickled down his face as he said, "I love you...those are the three words you were probably waiting to hear from me. Instead, I shouted that "I hated you" or "You're nothing, but a stupid drug addict." I'm so sorry, but I can never hear your forgiveness. I still just want you to hear my apology. I'm sorry, mom, I truly am."

Chanyeol walked down and kissed his mother's forehead. He her cold body and cried. Tears fell upon her face, and he hoped that she'll open her eyes upon feeling them. Unfortunately, they didn't. Then, he helped Kyungsoo up, and wiped each other's tears away. Victoria smiled as she watched her nephews hold each other's hands. Despite their occasional rivalry and hatred for each other, the five brothers were really close.

"It was the third of September," Baekhyun began with a powerful voice, "That day I'll always remember, yes I will."

Chanyeol continued, "Cause that was the day, that my daddy died."

"I never got a chance to see him," Kyungsoo sang beautifully, "Never heard nothin' but bad things about him."

Zitao stepped up, tears evident in his eyes still, "Momma I'm depending on you, to tell me the truth."

"Momma just hung her head and said, son" Sehun finished the verse.

As they stepped into the chorus, the five brothers harmonized perfectly. The vocals of each other voices blended into something beautiful, stunning the mourning family. Sadness and slight anger oozed from their stunning voices. The man in the back was wowed by their voices, and how mesmerizing they complimented each other. The man smiled as he watched them, leaning against the wall.

Baekhyun acted innocent as a child, "Hey Momma! Is it true what they say that Papa never worked a day, in his life?"

Chanyeol was down next to his mother's body as he commented, "And Momma, some bad talk goin' round town sayin' that Papa had three outside children. And another wife, and that ain't right."

Lu Han, Victoria, and other family members remember hearing about Kristina's boyfriend. He was bad news when seeing him. He dressed like he was still a single man, and flirted with anything in a skirt. The rumors of him having another wife and three kids were true. He was dating another beautiful Chinese woman named Zhang Yixin. Even though Kristina knew of this affair, she remained forever faithful in her boyfriend. Baekhyun was angered by this commitment to him, and that was the day he had his biggest fight with his mother.

Baekhyun had ran away from home that day, and Kristina didn't go looking for him. She advised her sons to do the same. They wondered why, and eventually find the answer, Baekhyun, with his head hanging low, came back. Lu Han had found him staying the night with a friend and dragged his back to his mother's home. Kristina allowed him to stay, but didn't speak to him for weeks. Baekhyun, feeling a strong sense of guilt hover around him, begged for his mother's forgiveness. Eventually, Kristina accepted him back into the family.

"Heard them talking Papa doing some store front preachin'," Zitao began the next line.

Kyungsoo continued, "Talked about saving souls and all the time leeching! Dealing in debt, and stealing in the name of the law!!"

The doe eyed male's voice was so powerful in this line. Sehun stared at his older brothers in admiration. Ma Yan Li, Kristina's mother, looked down at her lap, clenching the bible in her lap tightly. She remembered seeing Kristina's boyfriend in front of a store, preaching to anyone who would listen, asking for donations. Some people fell for his lies, and threw money into his basket. Another time, she caught him pickpoketing someone before running for it. He was no good for Kristina, who was the heiress of the Wu family.

Kristina was described as a strong, loyal, and stubborn woman with the fierce stare of a dragon. Her boyfriend was a different story, he had a softer look, angel-like appearance, and a charming personality. The Wu family wondered how could they have let him ruin Kristina badly. Maybe it was for his rich status, that they never even saw it coming. But then again, Ma Yan Li always said, "Humans are twisted things, don't let them trick you."

"Mama just hung her head and said..." Sehun trailed off.

"Papa was a rolling stone (my son," Baekhyun imitating Kristina.)" The brothers sang once more in sync, "Where ever he laid his hat was his home, and when he died, all he left us was alone."

The man was truly captivated by their voices. He stared in awe at the five young men singing for their mother. They sang with all their hearts, hoping she can still hear them from heaven. Kenji looked over to his friend, and saw his serious expression be replaced by soft looks of adoration. Kenji turned to look at them once more. Sehun seem to have caught the man in the back.

"Who are you?" Sehun asked, interrupting the singing.

Everyone whispered among each other as they look back. Ma Yan Li, Daniel Wu (Kristina's father), and Lu Han glared at the man. Baekhyun growled and ran off the stage. He yelled, "You motherer! How dare you show yourself here!?"

Daniel grabbed his grandson and held him back. Zitao and Sehun wondered who he was, while Kyungsoo and Chanyeol frowned in anger at the man. Lu Han crossed his arms, "Kim Joonmyeon, why are you here? You are not wanted here!"

Joonmyeon smirked as he took the right aisle to walk over to Kristina. Sehun intervened with tears in his eyes, "Why? Why did you leave her?"

"Why you ask? It was a foolish mistake of my youth. I was a man in his twenties that didn't want to commit himself to one woman. It was something stupid though," Joonmyeon answered.

Lu Han growled in irritation, "If you're here for forgiveness, look somewhere else. Kristina would have never forgiven you!"

"Oh really? If I remembered, Kristina was a woman who forgave anyone after they proved themselves. I would do anything, I am willing to be under her command, to have her back, but I can't now. I was an idiot back then," Joonmyeon stared at Kristina lovingly, "I thought over my feelings for her in the past years, and realized I truly loved her."

"Please leave," Chanyeol ordered politely.

Kyungsoo clenched his hands as he watched his "father" his dead mother's cheek. Joonmyeon faced his children, and each one of them had either an expression of hurt, sadness, or anger. Joonmyeon sighed as he glanced back at his love. She truly was still so young looking, even after death. He looked over to Sehun, "How did she die?"

"Hit and run accident-"

"Don't answer him, Sehun!" Baekhyun shouted, frightening Sehun.

"Leave, god damn it!" Kyungsoo shouted in rage.

Zitao noticed Joonmyeon pull something out from the back of his pants. He stood in front of Sehun, who was the closest to Joonmyeon. Their father pulled out a small revolver out from his pants. People gasped in shock, and panic was arising among them. Joonmyeon raised the revolver up, and Sehun pushed Zitao out the way. He ran towards Joonmyeon and wrestled for the revolver. He knew what Joonmyeon was going to do.

"That isn't the answer!" Sehun pinned his father to the ground.

Joonmyeon glared at his son, "Let me! It's not like you care!"

"I do! I want the father I wanted to spend so much time with! The father that will teach me things my mother never could!" Sehun shouted as tears ran down his face, "We all need a father!"

Baekhyun turned his back on Sehun, but he knew he was right. He needed his dad, and always wanted his dad to come back. As a kid, Kristina told her sons that their father was on a trip, and she didn't know when he would be back. Eventually, Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, and Baekhyun knew that was a lie. They knew their father would never come back, and gave up hope. Zitao came next, but Sehun still clung to that hope.

"We need a father you can face his mistakes, and try to involve himself more with us..." Sehun's body trembled as his cold expressions broke and crumbled, "We need you...dad."

Joonmyeon looked up at his son, who resembled Kristina in more than one way. He hugged his son, and cried into his shoulder. Baekhyun pulled Joonmyeon away from Sehun and picked him up. He threw a punch at his face with tears threatening to escape. Joonmyeon was stunned by the force of the punch. Ma Yan Li approached her grandson, and asked why he did that.

"That's for the hurt you made mom feel," Baekhyun answered.

Kyungsoo approached his father and slapped him hard enough that he left a hand mark on his face. He glared at him, "Those are for the many nights mom stayed up waiting for you."

Zitao kneed Joonmyeon, "For the many days mom paid for your debt."

Chanyeol looked at his father, "I'm not going to hurt you like my siblings, but let me tell you this. How many days do you think mom spent crying for you? How many years mom spent doing drugs because of you abadoning us? I wonder why she even cared for a man who wouldn't come back. But, you probably don't know the answers to those questions. Mom spent countless of days crying for you to come back. Her bed felt moist from the tears that fell from her eyes as she slept. Mom spent two years addicted to drugs until she finally tried to quit. I still can't believe that she never once hated you, instead, she took all the blame."

Joonmyeon can imagine her right now. Countless of nights, telling herself she wasn't beautiful enough for his standards, or she wasn't willing to have his fantasies fulfilled. Bullets filled with guilt penetrated his body. She was more than beautiful; she was mesmerizing and nothing could ever be compared to her. He must have been stupid to have abandoned her.

"Please...give me one more chance to redeem myself," Joonmyeon got on his knees in front of his sons.

"Fine..." Sehun answered with a smile.

Joonmyeon cried, feeling it was Kristina that answered, "Thank you..."