Final Chapter

Fallen For You

He’s been in his life for as long as he can remember. Jongin had just appeared before him, a familiar face on an unfamiliar stranger. For months since they met, Kyungsoo would always ask, “Are you sure we haven’t met before?” and Jongin would always deny that they had met. Three years and six months have passed, but Kyungsoo still can’t shake the feeling.

 

“What are you reading?” Jongin never made a sound when he showed up near Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo would scold him, telling him to wear squeaky shoes or be a klutz. Jongin would just chuckle and place his hand on Kyungsoo’s head.

Kyungsoo looked up to the lanky boy, his bronze skin always glowing ethereally.

 

“Hmm? Oh, just something for theology class.”

“Theology?” Jongin snuggled next to Kyungsoo, resting his chin on his shoulder. A warmth radiated from Jongin that always comforted Kyungsoo. Having a boyfriend like Jongin, someone who has grounded Kyungsoo through college, has been a joy and a pain. Sometimes Jongin would be at his side and others, no trace could be found of him. That was the only downside and no matter how many times Kyungsoo would ask, Jongin would avoid saying where he would go.

“Yeah, Theology. The concepts of God and religious beliefs. It was an elective that seemed interesting.”

“Do you believe?” Jongin asked, his deep husky voice ringing in Kyungsoo’s ear and sending shivers down his spine.

“What do you mean? Of course I believe in God,” Kyungsoo tried to shrug Jongin off his shoulder.

“What about other things?”

 

“Like?” Kyungsoo turned his face slightly. If he wanted to, he could kiss Jongin’s plump lips that he so loved.

 

“This,” Jongin leaned forward, placing his slender finger on a picture of an etching of a being, who looked tortured, tumbling through clouds. “Fallen angels.”

“Ummm...Lucifer?” Kyungsoo answered.

“That’s one,” Jongin said, wrapping his arm around Kyungsoo’s shoulders, pulling him closer to his chest. “There are actually many.”

“Did they all disobey God?”

“Somewhat,” Kyungsoo heard as Jongin’s voice grew deeper and quieter. “The story is that angels are actually menacing. They actually hate humans. God places them above everything, including angels. If not for God, angels would get rid of the flawed, and sinful humans.”

Kyungsoo shifted uncomfortably in Jongin’s arms, a tight grip around him.

“But angels are supposed to be guardians,” Kyungsoo spoke softly.

“They are, but these angels, the fallen ones are different,” Kyungsoo looked up at Jongin. A soft halo glow was growing in his eyes. He had seen in before in Jongin’s eyes when concentrated or was angry. It was almost hypnotic to look into Jongin’s eyes when the halo appeared.

“How?”

“They committed a crime; they fell in love with humans. They fell in love with beings that could not touch them, see them, hold them...so they were banished.”

“That’s enough studying for the night,” Kyungsoo snapped the book close and pushed himself up to stand. Jongin pulled him back down, tightening his hug on Kyungsoo, nuzzling his face into the crook of Kyungsoo’s neck.

“I would never return to heaven if you would stay by my side, Do Kyungsoo,” Jongin’s voice was different. The gravelly voice that Kyungsoo loved was spine-chilling. Jongin heaved a sigh as nestled on Kyungsoo’s shoulder. Kyungsoo pulled away from him, his mouth open to question what Jongin meant.

Kyungsoo’s voice became stuck in throat as he stared into the halo encircled irises of Jongin.

“Jongin-,” Kyungsoo choked out.

“I will gladly fall for an eternity for you, Kyungsoo.”