Chapter 3

A Fateful Encounter in Florence

(A/N: Hey guys, I know that I've neglected this threeshot long enough so here's the last chapter. I'm sorry for only completing this now. This chapter might sound a little off but I really wanted the characters to develop a deeper friendship by sharing their struggles with one another. I hereby apologize to my subs. Enjoy!)

 

It was half past seven. The first orange hued rays emanated from the large glowing sphere, warming up the city of Florence. Light peaked through the clouds that gathered in clusters. It was dawn. Changmin felt the gradual change in temperature as one side of his face and left arm felt warmer as time passed. He opened his eyes slowly and was greeted by the picturesque view that stood before him. Thrilled by its magnificence, he pushed himself off the pillar he was leaning on to get a better view. However, the weight on his chest pushed him back down and he suddenly remembered that he wasn't alone. Changmin gazed down at Yeon Hee, who did not move an inch despite his sudden movement. He smiled, looking at her sleeping peacefully.

"Yeon Hee-ssi," Changmin whispered, shaking her shoulders lightly.

"Hey, wake up," He repeated.

 

Yeon Hee's eyes fluttered open and saw Changmin's face plastered across her vision.

"Oh my god..." Yeon Hee shot up from Changmin's chest and slid further from him.

"I'm s-so sorry Changmin, I'm so so sorry!" Yeon Hee said apologetically. Changmin, who was amused at the situation, gave a small chuckle. He looked at Yeon Hee's shocked expression which never seemed to fade. Her hair was sticking out in all directions after the short nap and her cheeks were flushed. She looked so adorable.

"Yah, look around you. You wouldn't want to miss this!" Changmin said cheerfully. Yeon Hee looked up and saw the magnificent sight that stood before her. Camera, camera! She thought. She rummaged through her bag pack and whipped out her camera.

 

"Wow, it's beautiful!" She exclaimed as her shutters snapped continuously. Her amazement lasted for five minutes, which meant five full minutes of continuous "wow-ing" and clicking of shutters, unlike Changmin who only took a few photos with his iPhone and declared that he managed to get the perfect shot. Changmin has never seen anyone take pictures of the same scenery for a full five minutes, well, except his beloved Yunho hyung who basically spends 2 minutes trying to get the perfect focus. Wanting to tease Yeon Hee later on, he took his phone out again and took a photo of her sneakily and smiled to himself.

"Who the hell takes so many pictures of the same scenery?" He asked. Yeon Hee glared at him and pouted.

"Shim Changmin! What do you know about photography?" She argued.

"Y-You're a photographer?! Oh my god..." He said in disbelief. "What kind of photographer takes so long to take a perfect shot?"

 

Yeon Hee's shoulders slumped down. "....I know, I know. I'm j-just an amateur photographer who's still learning the ropes to become a professional photographer,"

"...Looks like this photographer thing isn't working out for me huh," She sighed.

 

Changmin sensed the tinge of sadness in her tone and tried to explain himself. "H-Hey, I didn't mean that, I was just teasing, I-"

"It's okay, I understand. My photos have been receiving pretty bad reviews from my seniors too. Lack of originality, they said. Maybe I should think about stopping," She interrupted.

 

Yeon Hee's aspiration of becoming a professional photographer hit rock bottom recently and that was the reason behind her visit to Florence. She wanted to take photos that contained that damned originality that her seniors were talking about. She hoped to witness the growth in her shots. She observed all of her shots every night diligently, picking out minor flaws and pressing the 'delete' button over and over again. She was positive that she has improved, but Changmin's unintentional brief remark made her feel as though she was back at square one. She was shattered when she realized that the so-called improvements that she thought she had been making were just delusions. The amount of hours she spent amounted to nothing.

"Yeon Hee ah, I was just joking. I'm sorry. I didn't know. I shouldn't have made that comment. Don't take it to heart, please." Changmin pleaded. He was shocked. Of all people that he could make that remark at, he said it to an aspiring photographer who was struggling to pursue her dreams. Although it was unintentional, he felt so guilty.

"It's okay, you didn't know. It's not your fault, Changmin-ah. Let's just put this behind us." Yeon Hee replied. Changmin sighed.

"Y'know, nothing comes easy. Life isn't meant to be smooth sailing. I struggled a lot in my trainee days. Heck, I almost gave up actually. I entered SM thinking that I was definitely going to make my debut but when I got there, there were so many trainees who had better voices, who majored in dance or been exposed to the entertainment industry more than I was. My singing instructors sent me out of the class countless of times because I was lacking so much. I couldn't hit the high notes and I couldn't get the tempo right."

"Dance classes were worse. The teacher gave up on me. He blatantly ignored my presence in his class. I remember trying so hard to catch up without his help that I sprained my ankle and all he did was to smirk at my pathetic state. It was so hard to survive in SM when you were basically compared to others every single day. My self esteem dropped so much that I couldn't even look at myself in the mirror because I hated what I saw. I viewed myself as a hopeless dreamer that thought he could debut just because he passed the audition by giving less than his best." Changmin recalled.

"But, you still did it didn't you? You are destined to be where you are today. I'm not." Yeon Hee replied Changmin in a small voice. He could sense the inferiority seeping through her voice. He had been there, at the same junction, thinking of surrendering to the challenges that pulled him away from his dreams.

 

Changmin turned to Yeon Hee and placed his hands onto her shoulders.

"Yeon Hee ah, look at me." Changmin had his eyes fixed on her but she refused to meet his eyes. Changmin used his fingers and lifted her chin until her eyes met his stare.

"I'm NOT destined to be a singer, Yeon Hee ah. I worked my off to be where I am today. I thought I was working hard enough then, but I wasn't. I wasn't practicing enough, asking my seniors for help and I was resting when other trainees were still training. I was at the bottom because I had not enough grit as compared to the others. Yunho hyung knew where he wanted to be from the start. He gave himself a goal to accomplish every single day and he wouldn't stop until he reached there. He didn't even think of giving up when he didn't have enough money to support himself. That explains the difference. I was lucky enough to be saved by Yunho hyung. Yeon Hee ah, don't give up. People are where they are today because they don't keep their eyes off their goal. They aren't swayed by obstacles that get in their way because they are determined enough to get pass them."

"Don't, ever let these people and things stop you from becoming who you have always wanted to be. I believe in you, Yeon Hee ah. I made it and I believe that you can too."

 

Yeon Hee's eyes were b with tears and Changmin pulled Yeon Hee in for a tight hug.

"Don't give up." He whispered.

 

Yeon Hee nodded as she choked on her tears. They pulled apart and Changmin patted Yeon Hee's head, evoking an embarrassed laugh from her.

 

The tense air that lingered dissipated. Yeon Hee was digesting Changmin's words and feeling motivated whereas Changmin was thinking through all the things that he said and was amazed at how he could be so encouraging all of a sudden. He never told anyone these stories before. He didn't like other people to know how much he suffered and how insignificant he thought he was in the past. Why did I tell her so many things that I kept to myself for years? He asked himself.

 

-

 

The creaking of the gates down the stairway echoed throughout and a set of footprints began its long walk up the stairway. “They’re open! We can finally get out of this place!” Changmin cheered.

Sure enough, a grey-haired gentleman appeared, spinning a ring of keys around his finger. He was dressed in a smart navy blue uniform, completed with a walkie talkie that hung out from his belt.

 

“Oh my…what are you guys doing here?” The guard stared at the two, appalled.

“W-we, kinda missed the closing hours. The gate was locked when we wanted to leave. So, we spent the night here.” Changmin explained, ending it with a small laugh to ease the awkward situation.

 

“I’ve been working here for years and you guys are the first two tourists to be locked here for an entire night, I can’t believe this.” He chuckled.

“It must have been quite an experience huh. Well, hurry along lovebirds, go grab some breakfast or something! And please, don’t get locked in at any other attractions!” He continued.

 

Both of them choked at the word, ‘lovebirds’. They looked at each other unknowingly and turned away when their gaze met.

Yeon Hee tried to correct the old man’s misunderstanding for Changmin’s sake. “Sir, we’re not-”.

However, the old man was already halfway down the stairway, whistling a happy tune.

 

“…We’re not a couple.” She sighed.

-

Changmin and Yeon Hee walked out to the streets and breathed a sigh of relief.

“I guess, this is goodbye?” Changmin asked.

“Yup, pretty much. Truthfully, I wouldn’t be able to survive the night without you. So, thank you.” Yeon Hee smiled.

“Well, it’s been a pleasure to meet you too. Are we friends then?”

Yeon Hee gave a small laugh and nudged his shoulder. “Why not?”

 

“If we manage to meet again someday, in a situation where I’m back to being TVXQ’s Changmin, I really hope to see you as successful photographer, Im Yeon Hee. Don’t let go of your dreams.”

And with that last encouragement, it marked the farewell of the two’s coincidental meeting as they walked separate ways, back to their lives.

 

That someday, will it arrive?