Door 1: Kyuhyun

Doors

“What is this?” He stared at the door in the middle of his room. Is he hallucinating because he is too tired? He walked around the door. There is nothing behind it except for the rest of his room.

“Ah, who the heck put a prop door in my room?” he yelled, only to hear a loud thud on his real door and a muffled shout of “Be quiet!”

Kyuhyun reached for the knob and turned it.

The door opened into a scene that is definitely not his room.

He paused at this familiar place.

*

This was his room when he was younger.

He took a cautious step into the room. What is this? Time slip?

“Oppa,” she smiled, teasingly covering his eyes. The Kyuhyun frowned and tried to move her hands, eyes still on his laptop. “Oppa is in an important game now, wait ok?”

“Ok.” Her voice was still bright but Kyuhyun, who was watching this scene, caught what his younger self didn’t. Her smile dropped and she stood up and left.

How long has it been since then? Kyuhyun, overwhelmed by nostalgia, looked at his younger self. Immature and selfish. Why did he cause a girl he loved so much to suffer when he wasn’t even ready to love?

He had been convinced she was the one he was going to marry. Even after joining Super Junior and meeting many other pretty celebrities, that one thought had not changed. He look at the girl lying on his old bed, playing with her hair, sadness in her eyes. When was it when he realised something was different? She had always been happy with him, never complained and he adored that quality of hers to bits.

As though replying to his thoughts, the scene in front of him changed.

“Why are you so angry?” Kyuhyun and held her arm and tried to sooth her but she refused to speak or even look at him. The older Kyuhyun grimaced as he remembers that fateful day.

“Is it another guy?” the words had escaped his younger self’s mouth before he realise how much damage he has caused.

She cried that night, telling Kyuhyun everything she had been feeling. And his younger self then was so enraged. So angered by her words that he –

“GO, JUST GO AND DON'T LET ME SEE YOU AGAIN.” He shouted, forgetting that he is a public figure in a public place. The girl had cried harder and tried to hold his hand, “Oppa I just want to…”

The younger Kyuhyun did not wait for her to finish her sentence. He shrug off her hand and left.

The Kyuhyun watching them felt his heart twinge in pain. The girl he loved, left there in the cold by him…

He walked forward and reached out his hands, trying to hold her, but his arms went right through her. “Hey?” he tried to speak. “Dwaeji yah?” He waved his hands in front of her.

Realisation dawned on him. This is the past. What is he doing, trying to change the past…

 

Kyuhyun stood in front of his girl, pain in his eyes as he tried but failed to wipe the tears off her face. “I’m sorry.” He whispered. “I love you…”

Before he knew it, he was back in his room, the door gone, tears streaking down his cheeks.

Hastily, he wiped them off with the back of his hands.

He lay on his bed, fiddling with his phone until he found the picture of them together.

Up until now… he hadn’t manage to forget her.

He scrolled down his list of contacts until he reached her name, pondering whether to give her a call…

His phone lit up and his ringtone sounded, it was her, her name flashing on her phone screen.

“Oppa! It’s been really long, are you well?” Her voice was just as he remembers. Bright, bubbly and so full of energy.

Kyuhyun choked on his saliva as he tried to speak.

“Oppa is well. How… how about you?”

“I’m well too! I called to invite you to my wedding two Sundays later! I didn’t wanna send an invite cause I know you receive a lot of mail everyday and I don’t want it lost. You’re surprised right oppa? That someone wants to marry me…”

Kyuhyun didn’t know when he had stopped listening, tears flowing freely down his face. What can he do? What can he do when he himself was the one who had pushed her away and let someone else had the chance to enter her life?

He gripped his phone tightly. Trying to imprint her voice into his head. This is… the last time…

“Oppa are you there? Why aren’t you speaking?”

Eight years ago

“Oppa, are you there? Why aren't you speaking? Are you on your game again?”

“Mmmm.” Kyuhyun muttered distractedly, the phone pressed against his ear with his shoulder and his fingers flying across the keyboard.

She sighed and ended the call.