Entry 7

Bread and I

---------

>Date 05-05-2023

>Time 19:21

>

>>Jackson reporting again.

>

>>I got the bread.

>And a job.

>A proper job.

>At the bakery.

>Starting tomorrow, I will be working as the cashier of the bakery.

>What a surprise, huh?

>

>>I went over to the bakery after finding a used flu mask.

>The street was in the same state as before, but with more dust along the doorway.

>The shades were half down, and not all lights were on.

>I was not sure if the bakery was open, so I knocked on the window.

>But there was no response, and the cashier was not in.

>I waited outside for about 3 minutes or so, and I heard a crash from inside the bakery.

>As I made my way to the source of the crash, I noticed that only a tray of bread was on display.

>And that the counter was covered with flour, rather than the usual polished top.

>I figured the baker probably gave up making as much bread since no one buys them anymore.

>

>Entering the sliding door that gives access to the kitchen, I was greeted with an upturned bowl right at my feet.

>I then heard a grunt from behind the table.

>I rushed over and saw the baker, as I remember, the plump short man that was always seen wearing a frown, sprawled on the floor.

>I helped him up and over to a chair at the side of the kitchen.

>He was red and sweaty in his baking apron.

>After getting him a glass of water, he seemed to be in a better condition so we chatted a little, about the bakery and how business went down so much that he was not able to offer the same wages for the cashier anymore.

>I don't know why, but at that moment I just felt like I should do him a favour.

>>And I asked him if he would mind if I signed up for the job.

>He was surprised, repeating how little he is able to offer for the job, and that the wages may even get worse if business doesn't pick up soon.

>Perhaps it was out of pity, sympathy, or kindness, I agreed to it.

>After introducing myself properly, the baker asked me if I would like to have meals with him, which would be provided by him.

>It then seemed like a perfect deal.

>

>>I didn't ask anything about missing bread.

>