♥ 일곱 ♥

♥ The Lake House 호수 집 ♥

♥♥♥The Lake House ♥♥♥

♥ 13 March 2013 ♥

'12 Mar 2011,

Jieun

Your turn. Favourite thing?

Jiyong'

Jieun minds are racing as it ponder over the question that Jiyong has thrown to her in their latest letter of correspondence. Although it is just a simple question that nothing too hard and too personal for her to share with her friend who happens to come from the past, Jieun seems to think of a millions of her favourite past-times in her head, but nothing seems too interesting that interest Jiyong. She is tremenduosly impress with Jiyong favourtie past-time which involve his eccentric father. Jieun could sense how close the relationship of father-son might be, or more likely for Jiyong since what she read in their letters, his father is the workalholic type of father.

Jieun and Jiyong shares the similarities for having a close relationship with their father. Jiyong might not be having a colourful childhood like her since his parent has separated a few years after his mother death. But Jieun knows that he is his father's son who the latter will gloat with pride whenever he talks about Jiyong in front of his fellow friends and clients.

Their shared career as a architecture and passionate with old yet new buildings -  is enough of a statement for Jieun how close Jiyong close relationship with his father, even though he choose to deny those facts.

Her list of favourite past-times includes of playing her old guitar along singing to some Korean oldies songs. She even include her picnic by the lake in the list. Not forgetting her favourite past-time that she enjoy together with Jack - hiking or strolling by the lake. The one thing that she hates so much is having a party. Because she hates crowded room and she has always hate going to places like disco, club or even attending concert too.

Well, she used to enjoy having a party, especially when celebrating her birthday party. Because on her every parties that she will have, it will be brighten by her late father alongside with her mother who has been one of the best party-planner. But after her father death, even though her mother insist of holding a party for her birthday and graduation after obtaining her doctorate cert, Jieun knows the party will be totally different without her father being there for her.

"Cross that out of my list...par-tay.."

Jieun walk to the window where she could see the most part of Seoul busiest street. She watch people, holding various colors of umbrellas, running about along the jam-pack street of Seoul. It has been raining since last night and from the look of it, Jieun could easily predict that it won't stop anytime soon. She enjoy watching rain comes pouring down from the cloud. What's she truly love most about rain is the smell of the air right after the end of rain. Jieun smile contently at the thought of it. She grab her pen as she write it down on the piece of blank letter.

♥♥♥

♥ 14 March 2011 ♥

Jiyong watch the sailboat sail past his lake house. There are 3 sailboats altogether. He knows one of them - Yeon Jun who is the nephew of Choi Seunghyun, his only neighbour that lives with his partner, Lee Chaerin over at the cottage. But Jiyong rarely see his neighbour, especially Chaerin. From their brief conversation, he learnt from Seunghyun that his partner work for YG & Partners, a very well-establish law firm in Southeast Asia. As for Seunghyun, he is an avid Art collectors and own a Art gallery at Gangnam district. Jiyong was once invited in one of Seunghyun's art event but he has to turn down the invitation since Jiyong younger brother, Hanbin was celebrating his engagement party with his long-time girlfriend Lee Hi.

Jiyong return Yeon Jun wave as he sailed past the other two boats. Apparently the youngsters has been racing with each other. Well, the weather is pretty good for such race, thought Jiyong. He walks back to the dining table where he has left Jieun's letter lying on top of the rustic table. His cup of black coffee along with his unfinished breakfast. He has choose to eat something western and his favourite breakfast dish happens to be Egg Benedict that consists of 2 English muffins which is topped with bacon, a poached egg, and hollandaise sauce. 

He re-read Jieun letter again:

'13 Mar 2013,

Jiyong-sshi

Where to start....? 

Hmmm...well let see. 

Reading the classic to Jackie. Her favourite's Fyodor Dostoyevsky.

When I smelled the flower before I see them.

When it's start to rain just the picnic is ending.

And I love the smell of Jack's paw. 

Love,

Jieun'

Jieun favourite things seems so romantic. But there is something that she miss out in her letter. He expected that she might want to mention that small detail since he feel hesitant to ask her so outrightly. Maybe he should be a bit bold and forwarding in his response letter to her which he will be writing right after he finish off his breakfast.

Ting tong !!

Jiyong look at the direction of his living room which he knows where the door bell has been rung by someone. He took his time to walk to the main door, believing it might be some door-to-door salesmen. But when he open the door, it is Choi Seunghyun standing like Hugo Boss model but with a goofy smile plastered on his handsome face.

"Hey neighbour! How are you?" greet Seunghyun before following Jiyong to the living room.

"A bit tired." Jiyong was about to grab something to drink for Seunghyun but the latter just wave him off. "No need. I stop by just to invite you over to my house."

Jiyong frowned. He rather spend his Saturday night all by himself while replying to Jieun letter. "What's the occassion?"

"Nothing special...just 2 dudes hanging out. I could cook up something from that fancy kitchen which Chaerin and I rarely got to use while you bringing in beers. We could watch some games from the cable."

Jiyong thought that this arrangement is way weird for 2 totally strangers to be having dinner, even though just having some take-out and soju. This is so out-of-the-blue. Jiyong suspected there is something nasty brewing in Seunghyun life and he has no one else to share his problem. Just some loner neighbour living next door, which happens to be Jiyong.

Still having that awkward smile plastered on his face, he asked the older man outrightly  "What's going on? Want to share with me?"

Silence 

Jiyong watch Seunghyun fidgeting while sitting on his leather sofa. He try again, in different approach. "You just can't burst in my house - invited me for super-casual-non-occassion dinner. I guess much that you have no one to talks about your problem and I am the only person who happens to be your neighbor."

Seunghyun nodded his head slowly. "I just need some advice from a male's point-of-view in my dilemma..."

"What's the dilemma?" Jiyong watch his unfinished breakfast now turn stone-cold on the lounge table.

"Whether I am ready to take the next big step in my relationship with Chaerin..."

Jiyong nodded. He knows that in this kind of situation, indeed they need to talk out over greasy pizza and bottles of Soju. "Ok then, I will come to your house...let's say...6 in the evening?" Seunghyun agrees with the timing before he left the lake house, heading straight to his own house. Jiyong watch his only neighbour walking back to his cottage. The same cottage that he once accused Jieun of having her letter wrongly sent to.

Jiyong glance at his watch and was surprised how fast the time has goes by.

"I better finish writing my letter to Jieun now..."

~~♥♥~~

'14 Mar 2011,

You didn't forget to mention your husband did you?

Jiyong'

~~♥♥~~

'15 Mar 2013,

Oh...Of course I love my husband who also a doctor ...plastic surgeon

...to small farm animals.

:-)

Jieun'

~~♥♥~~

'15 Mar 2011,

Good.

I'm married too.

I've got 8 children and none of them looks like me.

Jieun, I'm worried!

Jiyong'

~~♥♥~~

'16 Mar 2013,

I would be too!

:-P

Jieun'

~~♥♥~~

'16 Mar 2011,

Lolz...

I'm single.

Jiyong'

~~♥♥~~

'17 Mar 2013,

Me too...

Jieun'

♥♥♥

♥ 18 March 2013 ♥

Jieun watched her mother - sitting across her table at their favourite Al's Diner, reading Jiyong letters with great interest. She knows her mother is the only romantic person in their family. Jieun would like to consider herself being un-romantic person. She rather be more pragmatic and practical even in a relationship. Not that she will refused flatly when her boyfriend surprise her with gifts of flower and chocolate. She love that. The attention from someone she deeply love. But for someone to be clingy on her in every aspect of mushy-mushy romance, definitely not her style!

"So what do you think?" She asked her mother, as she re-filled their cup of coffee.

Her mother smile at her, endearingly. "He sounds like a nice boy."

Jieun took the letters from her mother's hands. She repeat what's her mother said, "Sounds like a nice boy...anything else?"

"He has a wonderful penmanship." 

Jieun rolled her eyes. "Mother, look at the date on the letter...the date." She point out the date on the letter. Her mother eyes follows Jieun pointing.

"Oh you mean the timeline...!"

Jieun nodded her head. "Yes..."

"Just a detail!"

"Just a detail?" Jieun frowned at her mother strange remark.

Jieun heave a rather disappointed sigh after hearing her mother aloof remarks about her friendship with Jiyong. Clearly, she is having a strange feeling about their relationship. Feeling of dreadful but at the same time comforting where she could easily expressing her thoughts and inner feeling without listening to any judgemental criticism from the other party.

She should not be feeling too attached with Jiyong but her heart could not help it. When she needs someone to listen to her bad day at work, or in her life, Jiyong will be the only person she turn to, even though they are separated through this little crazy thing call 'timeline'.

Jieun shakes her head as she whispered to herself, "I am in deep ..."

♥♥♥

♥ 18 March 2011 ♥

The private office of the renowned architect Kwon Sang-Joong is fill-up with song from the famous singer Michael Buble 'Home'. Jiyong could not help but smile at the ridiculous notion this song meant for such a busy architect like his father. 

Another aeroplane

Another sunny place

I'm lucky, I know

But I wanna go home

Mmmm, I've got to go home ~ 'Home' Michael Buble

'Yes you built millions of houses for people to call home, but you never once have a house for you to call home, appa' Jiyong whispered. He flick the cover of Michael Buble vinyl record. From behind he heard his father footstep. Without turning his back to him, he said, "It's a nice piece of music here."

Kwon Gu-tak tries to spot any sarcasm from his first born. But he gave up mid-way. He's been too tired nowadays to start an arguement with his son. He knows that whoever will come up as a winner or looser, that person will inevitably be gone for certain amount of years before he makes a grand appearance again. Afterall he really do miss his son, not that he will ever admit it openly, not in front of Jiyong obviously.

He smiled before he replied to Jiyong.

"Oh ya... it is fine. Music help...like Friedrich Nietzsche quote that said 'Without music..."

"...life would be a mistake." Jiyong finish his father sentence. Gu-Tak smile widely at his son remarkable notion. He knows that once he has been Jiyong's hero but after his divorce with Young-Hye who eventually died of Ovarian cancer, he lost Jiyong like forever. It pained him but life goes on no matter what has happen.

"I guess I told you that too huh." Gu-tak wave his hand to the direction of the nearby cabinet where he has stored all his variety of whisky and wine bottles, while he walks to his writing table. "Pour yourself a drink." As he seated on his big chair, he called out to his son, "Can you appreciate  a good wine by now?"

Jiyong who is making himself a scotch on the rock instead of indulging to one of his father expensive wine collection, said, "You bet."

"You know...you have to forgive your father for being curious but where have you been all these years?" Jiyong clearly heard his father from the upper deck of the large private office. But he choose to keep his silent for a bit longer. Again, his father continues with his question, "I thought your disappearance act was behind you!"

This got Jiyong so curious that he spontaneously respond: "I'm sorry...what?"

Gu-Tak realised that he has said something stupid. He should not start any unnecessary argument with his son now that he has return from some mysterious countries that he did not know where. "What? Oh it didn't come out right...forget it that I even ask!" He heard his son footstep walking up the short staircase up to the upper deck of his private office where he called it his private sanctuary - the only room where he could be himself and get most of his work done faster than ever. He watched his son eyes inspecting the mess on his table. 

"What do you working on?"

"Oh I just remembering things...this is not an easy job let me tell you that!" He laugh heartily for the first time since his son choose to disappear in his life. "...nor that it is such an innocent act in my case." 

Jiyong smiled politely to his aging father. His father continue to say, "Your father is writing his own memoir."

"Are we in it?" He did not look up to his father eyes. He might be disappointed with his replies.

"Oh..what do you think?" Gu-tak watch his son reaction. His reply seems to get Jiyong re-action as he looks him in the eye for the first time. "Do you want to be in it?"

"Do you want us to be in it?" Jiyong answered with a question.

Gu-Tak just frowned. "Of course!! You all are part of your father's lives!"

"Why are you talking to me like a third person?"

"Because I am writing about myself...I suppose. That's suit you?" Gu-Tak like the way he teasing his son, if this is really what it is though. He then watch Jiyong pulling out a roll of blueprint out of his drawing casing that he hung behind his back. Jiyong unrolled the bluepring on top of his unfinished memoir.

"I thought you migt like this..."

"Oh...what are this? Something that you've been working on?" However Gu-tak realise that the blueprint belongs to the lake house that he once built it for his late wife who remained living there after their marriaged ended and the last place she lived before her death. But after a year of Jiyong disappearance act, out of anger he has pass it over to his cousin who eventually sold that house to some realtor. Only a year ago, his solicitor has informed him that house has been bought over by his son as part of his late wife inheritance. And he knows that Jiyong has move back to live in that house months ago.

"No...they are yours...from the house that I have inherit it and you has the gallant to sell it off to some jackass realtor..."

"Oh yes...I heard that they said some sleazy little condo developer snap it up." He look up at the fuming Jiyong. "Oh come on now, indulge your father, can't you take a little joke for God's sake!? Come on, tell me where have you been. I want to know."

Jiyong tried to calm himself down. No good will ever come of it if he burst out his anger on his self-centered father. "I was trying to forget you nor forgive you."

Silence

"Did you succeed?" Gu-Tak voice quivered slightly. He could not deny how painful he feel after listening to his son confession. 'Am I that bad father who deserve my son hateness?' he whispered to himself.

"No!" Jiyong rolled back the blueprint and return it back to his casing. Gu-Tak watched his son silently, feeling a bit more sad and old.

Before Jiyong left his private office, he heard his son saying to him, "Let me know if you need any help in remembering."

Gu-Tak nodded his head. "Oh yeah, I will."

But Jiyong has already left the room.

 

When he reached home after his visit of his father, he saw there is a letter waiting for him inside the mail box. The letter from Jieun. 

'18 Mar 2013,

Jiyong-sshi

It's been a long day these days. I just worked for 30 hours straight. Everytime that I stop to catch a breathe, I realised that how isolated that I let myself has becomes.

Believe me, it can get a biiiitttt...desperate. Not that I am complaining about my work, I love being a doctor. And our tour in the busy city of Seoul has open my eyes to its hidden beauty.

But my heart still misses the lake house....and its trees. I missed those trees so much... 

Jieun'

Jiyong look at the nearby unplanted trees that his workers has delivered to his house for temporary storage which later be used to plant at the new housing estate at Jong-no. Then it strike an idea in his head that makes him smile and feeling happy at the same time squashing out his unwanted anger over his conversation with his father. He carries one of the trees over to his blue truck and runs back to his small shed to carry his shovel with him to his waiting truck. Jiyong has decided to plant a tree in front of Jieun apartment which stood unfinish in his timeline. 

Jack the dog just sat watching him from truck seat.

♥♥♥

♥ 19 March 2013 ♥

It has been raining since the night before and from the look of it, it will continues to rain. Jieun curse for being forgetful these days. She has yet again to bring her umbrella and she has no choice but to, once again, run with the rain pouring down on her. And this time, Jieun has slip and fall down the wet pavement as all items from her bag has come out. She quickly grabbed all her fallen stuff and when she saw her eyeliner pencil lying nearby, she grab it but realised something strange about it. Her eyeliner was not soakingly wet unlike her other stuff. When she looks up above her, she was utterly surprise when she saw she was shaded by a trees. She knows there was not a single tree that has been planted in front of her high rise apartment before. 

She quickly grabbed all her stuff and ensure that Jiyong's letter might not get soak like the rest of the items in her bags.

Once she has settled down back in her apartment, she grabbed Jiyong's letter along with her favourite glass of hot chocolate which she has it placed on her bedside table. And then she read the letter:

'19 Mar 2011,

Don't you worry, Jieun-nie. We will be together in time. Even if we are far apart, in time, I will find a way to be closer to you...take care of you.

Jiyong

PS: I hope you like that tree that I have specially planted for you.'

♥♥♥The Lake House ♥♥♥