Chapter Five;

Doppelgänger

Renzo stepped through the corridor with a deliberately slow and cautious pace, passing rows and rows of full-length mirrors. Pausing at one of them to gaze circumspectly at his reflection, he briefly grazed at the glass with his fingers, ignoring the way they tingled at the contact. Renzo startled and drew back with a gasp as it – his reflection – disappeared. By now, he was beyond creeped out. “Guys…?” Apparently, they had all chosen different routes, undeterred by the spookiness of the location. Renzo had begun to regret his hasty decision in conforming with the others.

His image in the mirror was soon replaced with a swish of pink fabric that seemed to be connected to a dress, which was connected to a person. A person that wasn’t himself.

At least, he didn’t think it was him.

Peering closer at the new arrival, Renzo acknowledged the frilly pink-and-white dress, the dark hair tied up into two ponytails with ( once again, pink ) ribbons, and the hesitant smile. Yep. He was certain that this person wasn’t Lee Renzo. “Um. Hi,” the girl spoke in a voice that didn’t match her peppy, princess-like exterior at all. “Are you Renzo?”

“H-How do you know my name?”

“Oh, that’s an easy one. Of course, I know, silly!” A wide grin spread across her face as she responded. “You probably don’t know me, right?”

“I’m pretty sure I don’t.”

She giggled; it resembled the soft chiming of bells. “Might as well introduce myself, huh? I’m your doppelganger. My name is Amber.”

An evanescent glaze of bemusement and shock glazed his eyes. “Why are you here?”

A piqued expression flickered in her eyes, before she shook it off. “You have to get us out of here. It’s just horrible a-and we deserve better lives.”

“What do you mean by ‘us’—”

“There’s no time for that! Just reach into the mirror.” Renzo acquiesced before holding his arm out as an offering to the supernatural being. As the girl gently grasped his awaiting hand, a visible jolt coursed through her. As Renzo languidly lead her out of captivity, he realized something was… wrong.

“Why are you floating in mid-air?”

“You’re going to have to teach me how to be human.” 

▄▄▄▄▄▄ 


... I think I've been scarred for life. Picturing Amber in a dress with girly stuffs?
That's just wrong. Anyway, sorry for the short chapter thingie DD:
I'm going to write a mini-chapter for each of the characters meeting their doppelganger for the first time. ;D
Then, we get on to the complicated stuff.

♪Breathe in, breathe out.♫