Chapter Four;

Doppelgänger

“I’m serious, guys!” Sohyeon protested as she ambled toward the others, warnings spewing from . “Someone’s stalking us!”

Chaekyung’s stride didn’t waver as she reflected the birdie with her racket. “Hm?”

“You see, Ren and I were taking pictures, and then—”

Renzo interrupted, pointing at something in the distance. “Oh, hey look! A Sanitary Station!” JiHwan gazed at his friend’s retreating back, eyelids lowered.

“Are you kidding me? A Sanitary Station in the middle of nowhere? It’s creepy, actually; it’s as if this supposed Free Market event was custom-made to our liking. First, it was strawberry milk. Then, it’s this place. Now, a Sanitary Station?” Unfortunately, he was ignored, as the others had joined Renzo by the booth, which boasted a large hand sanitizer dispenser.

Sae Rok automatically held out a small, plastic container. “Baby wipes?” Yunho nodded, holding out a similar container.

“Finally, someone understands me!” the 5 foot 11 proclaimed, squirting a puddle of hand sanitizer into his palm.

Soo Hyun nudged him, hint of mischief in her voice. “Neat freak.”

Mi Na clapped joyously. “Yay! Another couple!” she chirped, preparing to take a shot of the two. Yunho swiped at his eyes.

“Haven’t you heard of no flash photography?” he huffed irritably.

Renzo blinked at him, expression not changing at the least. “Last time we checked, you weren’t on display at the local aquarium.” ( “Good one,” Mi Na mumbles to herself before pulling out her small notebook and jotting the phrase down. ) “Anyway, thanks for the cleansing products.”

“You’re all missing the point! Isn’t this unnatural? It’s as if someone knows all of our likes and dislikes, and has organized this to lure us in! Right, Sohyeon—” JiHwan broke off as he focused his vision on Sohyeon, who was also huddled at the hand sanitizer dispenser and temporarily occupied. “Oh, forget it. Let’s just go.”

Sae Rok jabbed her thumb to the path on her right. “Music Center to your right!” When Yunho didn’t respond, she discreetly elbowed him in the stomach, and he immediately followed suit with only a slight flinch. “You’ll love it there! There’s classical music, instrumental, R&B, rock, etcetera etcetera etcetera.”

“And here we go again,” JiHwan muttered, “over the river and through the woods, to Grandmother’s house.”

Chaekyung rolled her eyes. “Oh, put a sock in it, Ichigo.” She handed him some strawberry milk. “We all love music here.”

The spotted girl was forgotten, pushed to the backs of everyone’s minds.

▄▄▄▄▄▄

“Sup?” Ahn KyoRin regarded the six with a raise of her eyebrow. “Suppose you’ve come here for some music?”

“Let me handle this,” JiHwan murmured under his breath, before sidling up to the girl with a wide grin. “Yo yo yo! What’s up, sistah?” His response was a fist two inches away from his face. “Nevermind.”

Jaebeom, meanwhile, was sulking behind KyoRin. “Why’d I have to get stuck with you, of all people?” She whirled on him, disapproving expression on her face; he zipped up instantaneously. “Nevermind that. We have a huge collection of tracks and stuff for you guys to listen to – for a price, of course.”

“How much we talkin’ about here?” Mi Na eyed the stranger suspiciously, taking on what she assumed to be a tough voice; a façade she hoped KyoRin would believe.

“Fifty cents for each song. You get to listen to a demo of it first, though.”

▄▄▄▄▄▄

Soft carnival music started from a distance. “Gasp!” Mi Na was the first to react to the melody. “Let’s go!”

Sohyeon suppressed a sigh as she dashed toward the provenance of the low, lighthearted hum. How she put up with this girl, she would never know. They arrived at a clearing, shrouded with overgrown ferns and trees. Four people stood by the entrance, artificial grins plastered on their faces. “Why, hello newcomers! I am Ae-Sook, these are my friends, and we have a very special event laid out for you visitors today!” one of them introduced, clad in baggy jeans and a sweatshirt, despite the somewhat warm weather. “Say hi, Seungho!”

The boy next to her obeyed reluctantly, uncertainty glittering in his eyes. “Hey. Hope you’ll enjoy your stay,” he added sincerely.

“And I am Alexander, and this is Rae Byul, who refuses to introduce herself. She’s shy,” explained the following boy in line. Rae Byul nudged him, hint of red on her cheeks. “Head on in.” The four parted, their smiles seemed to grow wider.

“This is getting downright creepy,” JiHwan interjected as Mi Na was about to make a comment. “Why is anyone else here?”

Mi Na scoffed. “They don’t know what they’re missing. Okay, let’s go before everyone hogs all the rides! Oh, awesome! Look – House of Mirrors. They’ve always creeped me out. OH OH, I KNOW! I dare all of you to go inside with me.”

“I don’t know...,” Sohyeon voiced her concern, “there IS something fishy going on.”

“Mirrors are creepy,” Soo Hyun agreed, while Chaekyung just shrugged.

“I’ll go, I guess. Anyone else? JiHwan and Rennie?”

JiHwan nodded confidently. “Of course. What’s so terrifying about mirrors anyway?”

“Sure.” Renzo ran a hand through his hair, adjusting his bangs.

“Well, someone needs to take responsibility for you guys...,” Sohyeon mused at last, “so I guess I’ll go.” The friends faced their only opposition: Soo Hyun. Apparently, they all knew her weakness: the need to be #1. And of course, it was her weakness that eventually caused her to crack.

“Fine.”

▄▄▄▄▄▄

DUNDUNDUN. Mi Na guessed who I was. T-T
Meanie.
LOL, so here was the chapter, as promised. ;D
We’re getting to the doppelgangers!
Mi Na’s one smart bunny; she guessed correctly my true identity.
AND THAT IS...
-drum roll-
MIDNIITE. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
-cricket cricket- [“Who’s Midniite?”]
Lol, okay. XD It’s okay if you don’t know me.

♪Rokkugo, rokkugo, rokkugo!♫