Chapter One

Becoming Closer

It’s a peaceful morning. The sun peeking through my curtains to remind me that it’s time to start my day. I turn to the table beside my bed and check the time on my phone. 9:34. I stretch to relax all my muscles and get them ready to move. I sit up on the bed and scan the room. It looks how it normally looks. There’s a knock on my door that calls my attention.

“Breakfast is ready dear,” Ms. Kim, one of our care takers, says with a kind smile.

“Thank you, I’ll be right down.” I smile and she leaves me to get ready.

I walk down in a long cardigan covering my shorts and tank top. “Sometimes I wish we had an elevator,” I say to myself walking down the stairs. I arrive to dining room where breakfast is being held. Jackson is there, along with his mistress. Yes, he has a mistress. Although if you think about it, technically I’m the mistress. I always feel awkward being with them in general. I’m the third wheel in their relationship. The relationship that Jackson and I have, isn’t one I or anyone would desire. In a way I envy them because it’s something I want but can’t have.

“Would you like to have breakfast with us, Amy?” Ms. Kim asks.

“Yeah, definitely. Thank you.” I reply.

I sit with the other workers who comfort me in this house that I feel misplaced in. We converse about our families and other events that are going on with our lives. After breakfast I help clean up before I get ready for the day. I go up to my room and head straight to my bed. I lay on it pondering the different thoughts running through my mind, until I come across the one that I makes me blue: my marriage. I am married to Jackson, yes. Do I want to be? No. It wasn’t mine nor his decision. It was our parents. It was made for business reasons. My parents didn’t wanted to force my hand at marriage, it was a choice made for both companies to progress. Of course neither of us were thrilled but Jackson despises me for it. I’m in the way of his relationship. He didn’t want to get married to me, he wanted to marry Suzy. My phone then rings which brings me out of my world and into reality. My mom calls me and we catch up with each other. After I finish talking to my mom, I decide to go out and buy some groceries to make some lunch for everyone. I walk out and bump into Jackson.

“Hey, did you want’ anything from the store? I’m going to make lunch.” I asked.

He looks at me for a moment and then gives me his usual cold look stare. “No”.

He always uses a monotone with me. The only time I don’t hear that voice is when he talks with Suzy and the other workers. I nod in his response and I continue my way down the stairs. I go into the kitchen to see if anyone wants to accompany me. One of our maids Songhye decides to go with. When we arrive at store, Songhye brings up the topic of Jackson.

“Why doesn’t Mr. Wang like you? You’re nice, sweet, you’re not mean at all,” she chuckles. I smile at her comment. She’s a sweet and innocent girl.

“I’m not exactly sure but I’m pretty sure it’s because he can’t have what he really wants,” I smile lightly.

“You know, I like you both. You are a kind person and you do have a personality of your own and Mr. Wang is funny and playful. But whenever you’re around he acts cold and distant. I don’t like when he does that to you”.

Her words make me sad and get teary eyed but I hold in my tears. I give her the best smile I can, “I don’t know either but what can we do”.

She gives a small smile and we continue shopping. As I pick up each ingredient for the meal, I can’t help but think of our conversation before. I get why Jackson doesn’t like me but does he really have to hate me. It wasn’t my choice to get married either but I’m it up. To be honest, this is better than my previous relationship. That didn’t end well either. When we finish buying everything, we decide to take a walk around the park.

“What’s on your mind Amy? Was it something I said earlier?” Songhye gives me a worried look.

“No, it’s not your fault. I started thinking about something personal”.

“Do you want to talk about it?”

I thought about it. What could be the harm? “...It wouldn’t hurt would it?”

She shakes her head and smiles, “No. I think you need someone else to listen to you now”.

I tell her about my past. I tell her about how we met, in high school and started dating towards college. We had the best time together, going on dates, having each other’s company. We got along with each other so well, at least I thought we did. That one day is when everything changed. When trust was broken between us and how he lied about it. He lied about it for so long, I didn’t know how I let it slip from me. Was I oblivious to it? Or did I see something that I didn’t want to be true?

“I really thought that we were going to be together. I thought he was the one that I would marry and have a family with...but I guess all good things come to an end,” I give her a sad smile.

Songhye hugs me once she sees the tears forming in my eyes. “It’s okay Amy. He didn’t deserve you. He missed out on someone so great. Be glad that he’s not in your life anymore”.

“Thanks Songhye. Thanks for listening. I really needed this. I haven’t really talked with someone about this”. We smile at each other and decide to head back to the house.  

Once we got to the house, we started unloading the groceries. I brought in multiple bags to make the process go by faster. When I got into the house, Jackson’s parents were inside. I quickly put the bags into the kitchen to greet his parents. We have some small talk to catch up a little with them. Jackson then comes out of his room to greet his parents. I excuse myself and return to carrying groceries.

“Jackson, why don’t you go help Amy carry in groceries? She’s carrying them all by herself!” Mrs. Wang says.

Jackson reluctantly helps me carry the bags. He grabs multiple bags and walks up the many steps leading up to the house. As I grab the last of the bags I watch Jackson carrying the bags. He looks...manly. But that vision soon disappears when I see Jackson trip over a step and falls. My eyes widened and run to help him. He falls too soon and lands on his back on top of one of boulders in the yard. I run to him to see if he’s okay but I doubt he’ll want my help.  

 


Hey subbies!

I've decided to revamp the story and change it to one point of view. So I will be rewriting the chapters but the story line will still be the same. I also decided to change the main character's name. I hope you guys still stick around for the new chapters. Thank you for your support and I am so sorry I haven't updated in so long. Thank you all once again! :))

 

-Sandra