Corporate

No Matter the Universe

When Jackson got his degree in business, he thought he'd be living large in no time. A pretty girl on his arm all the time, cash piled up to the roof, big cars to drive. You know, the high life. He never thought he'd get stuck interning at some big fashion company that specialized in clothing made from alpaca wool.

 

In any other company he could've dealt with the crap work an intern gets stuck with. The higher ups had him constantly running for coffee, for the fax machine, to grab extra pins for a model fitting, for this piece of and that particular thingie. (That last one was literal. Jackson had actually been told to run to the break room and grab the 'thingie' out of the 'thing.') Doing the peon work would've been fine in any other place.

 

But this particular company was the bane of his existence. It wasn't even the nature of the company. While Jackson held little interest in clothes made from alpaca wool, even he couldn’t deny that the stuff the company produced was actually pretty cool. No, the reason Jackson hated working at what was considered the leader in Korean fashion was its name.

 

Seriously, who the hell names a multimillion dollar company Alpaca Sweater?

 

Jackson sighed and glared at the little foam coffee cup in front of him. He was only a few minutes away from the end of his break, and he was no more ready to go back to slaving under his superiors than he had been thirty minutes ago. If he was sent for coffee one more time, he was gonna lose it, he just knew it.

 

Jackson was drawn out of his brooding by the door swinging open. An eyebrow raised into a perfect arc as a cute looking brunet walked in. Jackson sat up, flashing the newcomer an appreciative smile. One of the upsides of working in the building designated more towards business meant that the occasional model came in to set their contracts. This man was obviously one of them. He probably had gotten lost looking for one of the meeting rooms.

 

The cutie had wandered over to the coffee machine, which Jackson knew needed a new filter before it would dispense any of the black sludge they all pretended was coffee. He knew this because he had been the last person to use the machine and hadn't replaced it. Hey, he was on break! There was no reason for him to do work he wouldn't get paid for.

 

The brunet gave an annoyed huff when he realized he had to grab a filter. He bent down to open a cabinet and Jackson was treated to the sight of a nicely sculpted . 'Oh yeah,' he mused. 'Cutie with a booty.'

 

Cutie suddenly turned around and stalked over to Jackson's table. He slid into the seat across from him without actually acknowledging his presence and crossed his legs. The brunet turned so he could glare at the gurgling coffee machine and bounced his leg impatiently. Jackson felt his eyebrows curve again. Cutie had an attitude, apparently. He could work with that.

 

With all the smoothness of softened butter, Jackson slid his little plastic cup towards Cutie and said in the deepest, manliest voice he could muster “Here, you seem like you could use a little booster.”

 

Yes, the intern thought, that line was definitely a winner.

 

Cutie flicked his eyes down at the pathetic excuse for a coffee, then up at Jackson. He dragged his gaze up and down the lanky form in a cool manner that made Jackson's killer grin falter slightly. With a noncommittal grunt he grabbed the coffee and chugged it down.

 

Then in a surprisingly deep baritone that vibrated deep in his chest Cutie grumbled, “Thanks. 's getting a little too real around the office lately,” then slid the now empty cup back towards its owner. Jackson scrambled for something interesting to say. “So, you been around here often lately?” Smooth as hell.

 

The look Cutie gave him clearly said he thought otherwise. In fact, the sheer expression of disbelief on his face made it seem like Jackson had just informed him that the sun was actually blue, not yellow. The intern scanned over the last few minutes to find what he did wrong, other than being painfully handsome and suave.

 

Before he could figure it out the door opened again, this time admitting a pretty blond woman. This person Jackson actually recognized. She was the assistant to a well-known designer from America who wanted to help bring Alpaca Sweater to international stores. He searched his memory for a name and came up with Mia.

 

Mia scanned the room and, only seeing Jackson and Cutie, asked in broken Korean, “Uh, could you two, um, he... help? Help, that is how it is said? Help me find the...uh...What is the word...” She scrunched up her face in thought.

 

Jackson subtly wiggled gleefully in his seat. This was his big chance to impress not only one, but two unbelievably gorgeous people! He cleared his throat to get her attention and said in English “I can help you ma'am. What do you need?” Mia sighed in relief and came over to sit down on the remaining chair at his table. She immediately swapped to English as well. “Oh man, you have no idea how nice it is to hear your own language after so much confusion.” She gave him an exasperated smile. “Normally I try to learn a language before I do business, but negotiations have been so rushed and hectic. I haven't had the time to really get it, you know?”

 

Jackson laughed. “Yeah, Korean can be a little tricky if it isn't your native tongue.” Cutie seemed extremely interested in their conversation. Mia offered him a shy glance, but continued to direct her questions to Jackson. “I'm sorry, but could you tell me where room 302 is? I'm a little lost, and the next meeting is in,” she glanced at her watch, “about twenty minutes.”

 

“Oh yeah, it's just a few doors down from here. I can walk you down if you want.” Mia clapped her hands in delight. “That'd be great, thanks Mr...?” Jackson leaned forward and grabbed her hand, flashing a devilish grin and wink. “Jackson Wang.” Mia giggled at the flirtation.

 

Cutie abruptly stood up, startling the other two, and left the room at a small trot. Both Mia and Jackson watched him leave, hardly trying to hide their appreciation. Mia leaned back and fanned herself with her hand. “It's so unfair. No one should be that attractive and powerful.” Jackson's eyebrow moved to take up permanent residence in his hairline. “Powerful?”

 

Mia nodded conspiratorially. “I mean really, is it not enough to be CEO of a fashion powerhouse?” If she noticed Jackson choke on air, she didn't comment. “Does he really need to be drop-dead gorgeous as well?”

 

Jackson felt the life-force slowly drain from his body. He had just checked out the the man who was essentially his boss. He had thought of him as a hot piece-of-. , he had flirted with not only him, but one of his business associate's assistants! Jackson groaned and slammed his head into the table. He ignored Mia's concerned questions in favor of banging his head rhythmically on the table.

 

He was so fired.

 

So when he was called into the CEO's office three weeks later he wasn't really surprised. Well, he was a little. Jackson thought one of his immediate bosses would just randomly inform him that he had been sacked. Being called into the office of the man himself was unexpected and completely terrifying.

 

The intern shuffled his feet nervously outside the imposing double doors, waiting to be called in to meet his fate. When that rich baritone voice called to him to enter he had to physically restrain himself from running away. Jackson was a lot of things, but he wasn't a coward. He'd take his scolding like a man and be done with it.

 

He took a deep breath to steel himself and walked in. The office was less plush than he was expecting. It was actually almost spartan in terms of decoration, with only a few pictures hanging on the blue walls. There was a few comfy looking chairs seated in front of an oak desk. Seated behind that desk was Jackson's doom. Mark Tuan, CEO of Alpaca Sweater, silently watched Jackson cross the room to stand nervously before his desk. The man's expression didn't give anything away about what he was thinking.

 

A few tense moments passed in silence as boss and intern regarded each other. Jackson felt himself break into a sweat, and before he could stop himself he fell forward into a bow. “I'm sorry, please don't fire me!” He didn't dare look Mark in the eye as he continued, “Look, I know it's not appropriate to flirt in the workplace, but surely just a little doesn't hurt, right?” A voice in his head screamed that he was an idiot, but Jackson squashed it down. His fists clenched at his side in determination. If he still went down, at least he can say he tried to save his job!

 

Jackson kept his eye focused on the carpet for so long it began to blur. Then, to his amazement, he heard someone laughing. The intern straightened in surprise and stared at his boss. Mark was gasping for air, eyes scrunched up and legs flailing. Eventually the CEO pulled himself together. Mark wiped at his eyes as the last of his giggles died away. “Oh man, no, I didn't call you in here because you flirted with me.”

 

Something tight in Jackson's chest loosened up. His whole body went lax with relief. He wasn't fired, he could keep his job at this ty pun for a company-

 

“You are still fired though.”

 

-Or not. Jackson felt his mouth fall open in disbelief. Mark took one look at his face and fell back into laughter. He quickly pulled himself together and stood up. Jackson could only watch passively as the CEO came around his desk to stand in front of him and offer his hand. “And also, congratulations! You're hired.”

 

The intern looked at Mark's outstretched hand then up into his face. He squinted suspiciously. “Are you seriously this mad I flirted with you and a business partner? I mean, firing me is one thing, but pranking me is just cruel.” Mark shook his head.

 

“Not a prank.” The CEO gestured for Jackson to sit down. He did so, sinking into the plush seat as Mark moved around to sit back behind his desk. He propped his head up on his hands. “I understand your confusion. This is fairly unorthodox, but it's the only way I can justify promoting an intern over someone higher up on the chain to the stockholders.”

 

“See, we're a little short on English speaking staff.” Mark gestured vaguely with his hand. “Only ten people know more than basic greetings, and of those ten only six can really speak it. You, however, have an excellent grasp on the language.”

 

Jackson sat up a little straighter and preened over the praise. Then he frowned and asked “Wait, how do you know what level of English I know?”

 

“That's easy.” Mark leaned down and opened the top drawer of his desk. He pulled a tan folder out of it and flipped it open. “Jackson Wang, 23, male. Studied in America for five years and Korea for three. Majored in business and minored in...” Mark paused and looked at Jackson questioningly. “Literature?”

 

The intern shrugged. “I like poetry.” Mark gave him an unreadable look at turned back to the file. “Right then. Looked for a job for a few years, eventually got a lucky break as an intern in the fashion business. Comments from his co-workers and bosses say he's reliable and hardworking, if a little foolish at times.”

 

Mark flipped the folder shut and smiled at Jackson. “I need people to help seal the deal with these international jobs. You're qualified in every way. Maybe even over-qualified! According to your file you speak at least two more languages.”

 

“Cantonese and Mandarin.” Jackson tried very hard not to bask in the impressed look Mark gave him. He leaned back into the plush cushion and crossed his legs in an attempt to look casual. In his most nonchalant tone he could manage he asked, “So, I already know I'm qualified for this job. But why me? What made me stick out?”

 

Almost immediately the mood in the room changed. Mark's grin turned from friendly to lecherous, and Jackson became painfully aware that they were alone in the office. They weren't likely to be interrupted anytime soon. “I'm so glad you asked, Jackson.” The intern swallowed hard but managed to stay composed. Or at least he hoped he looked like he wasn't moments from losing his cool.

 

“ I have to admit, in our first meeting you managed to raise my...” Mark dragged his eyes slowly over Jackson's frame. “Interest. Most interns freak out when I come within a few feet of them. You barely blinked.” He leaned back and mimicked Jackson's relaxed pose. “You seem like an interesting guy Jackson. I look forward to working with you.” Mark reached back into his desk and pulled out a few papers, scanning them in an almost bored manner.

 

It took Jackson a moment to realize he had been dismissed. He stood up on slightly shaky legs and made his way over to the door. Right before he stepped outside the office Mark called out to him.

 

“Oh, and Jackson? Take the rest of today off. Tomorrow I'll have someone show you to your new office and brief you on what's going on.” Mark looked up from his papers and grinned wickedly at Jackson. “We'll be working together much closer from now on.”

 

Jackson nodded and left the room, feeling oddly like he had just made a deal with the devil.  

 

~    ~    ~    ~

 

AN: this au was requested by hiphopbabylion! I hope you liked it~

College is already managing to cut into my energy for writing, but i'll keep pushing to upload on sundays! Love to all my wonderful subs~!