Of Crushes and Fluttering Hearts

Of Crushes and Fluttering Hearts

In her head, she knows she shouldn’t care for him. Unfortunately for her she’s begun caring, much more than she probably should.

 

She pretends to be annoyed by his mere presence, but she finds herself smiling indulgently when he says something to amuse her. She worries when she sees him battered and bruised. Her eyes glance at his desk when the punk decides not to show up for school, or when he pretends to sleep and can’t see her glances. She’s defended him on more occasions than she cares to remember, and covers up for him when it would be easier to do otherwise.

 

Kang Nam Joo teases her often about perhaps having a crush on him, but her friend doesn’t know how close to home her harmless jest is hitting. Even Kim Heung Soo notices her attention and attraction to his friend. Which is embarrassing in itself, but she’s grateful he doesn’t mention or confront her about it.

 

They are in class 3 now and she’s even more focused than before, perhaps not as uptight but her goals are still aligned toward colleague. He seems better at listening and attending class, but not enough to aspire for college as her which should be something that should deter her. Isn’t him being in the bottom quarter of the class while she battles for the top with Min Ki enough of a warning and barrier for her? If only she could somehow make herself understand this.

 

He’s still president because no one else is willing to take up the responsibility, even her, and maybe because he’s somehow gained their classmates’ respect. She’s still Vice President by choice, and she won’t admit its a little bit due to the fact she will have an excuse to approach him and talk to him. He smiles when she nags him before doing exactly what she asks. On occasion he asks her to explain something to him he didn’t understand during class, that is when he cares enough to worry about the subject.

 

Her mother makes it clear that she expects her at Seoul University but still doesn’t care enough to help her get there, that struggles still lies on her on shoulders. She has her moment of angst and has a small tiff with Kang Joo which would probably be resolved sooner than later because she loves her friend more than her frustration at herself, he’s there. He’s blunt as ever which had always been their dynamic much longer than she can remember. She appreciates it.

 

She finds herself sitting behind him on his scooter with her arms around his waist, and resting against his broad warm back feeling content. Once again they are at the bridge, this times she doesn’t throw anything over it and just finds content in the night and his presence.

 

“Do you still want to throw yourself?” She asked remembering his confession from almost a year ago. At the time she hadn’t known why he’d felt so darkly about himself, but hearing his past with Heung Soo she understood. Heck, she’d had her moment of hurting a friend and feeling worthless because of it and it was still minor compared to what he and Heung Soo had gone through.

 

He chuckles, and for a moment she thinks he won’t answer, but her does in confidence, “Sometimes when the memories are too harsh.” It’s harsh and honest, but doesn’t surprise her. Weirdly enough, it’s the answer she needs.

 

“Are you okay?” he asks after a long comfortable silence. It isn’t the first time he’s asked her tonight, but this time it sounds different to her ears –softer maybe. In the silence her heart flutters because she fools herself into believing that in that moment he cares even a little bit.

 

“Should I lie?” she questions, knowing it’s unlike her to ask but she wonders if it matters as much to him.

 

He sniggers, “It’s not like you. Aren’t you too blunt?” Maybe he does know her, and sees her but it isn’t the way he she hopes he does.

 

“I will be after I get in Seoul University,” it wouldn’t be the end, but it would be one less wall to climb over, she thinks. “You wouldn’t understand though. You’re not going to college right?” she’s being mean, but it’s to remind herself that liking him isn’t a smart idea. She can’t afford being stupid.

 

“Some of us don’t belong in college,” he isn’t offended and answers with that lopsided smile pull at his lips. Somehow she understands that and lets the silence pull again, because it’s just enough to stand together in the silence.

 

Kang Joo and her make up easily enough the next day and it manages to get a knowing smile from him. Song Ha Kyung thinks it isn’t such a bad thing to care about him, because maybe he just might care about her too.

 

A/N: I saw potential in the two of them, and couldn’t help write it.