Where Am I?

The Other World

          Do you know what it’s like to lose your memory? To have no idea who you are or how you got to be where you are?

          His eyes opened slowly and the darkness he saw was now fading into light. Ravens cawed within the distance and the scent of dead plant life lingered in the air. The sky almost appeared a faded purple, a sign showing that the sun was beginning to rise in the sky. The man slowly lifted himself off of the cracked, dried earth below him and got to his feet. A wave of nausea and thirst caused him to stumble on his feet making the world around him spin.

          The man had been on the run for a week now and ended up in this desolate forest. He had no idea who he was but the only thing he knew was that he had to run. Picking up one foot after the other he slowly began to stumble forward again. Clouds of dust kicked up with each step he took. His throat burned with thirst but he continued to press on. No matter what, he had to get away even though he did not know what he had to get away from. There was no person or animal in sight other than the crows and vultures that were following the man, eagerly awaiting his death for their next meal. He slowly brought up his shaky hand to his throat in an attempt to supress the thirst that was going to rip through his throat.

           “Why… Am I doing this?” he spoke with his dried voice which echoed throughout the dead forest. 

            His legs could not hold his body up any longer and he collapsed to the ground, a cloud of dust sprang out then began to settle on his cold, dying body. He could do nothing more but lay on the earth and breathe in the loose dust that settled on the ground. The dust did nothing more than irritate his dried throat even more and his breaths were scattered between the coughing fits as he lay shivering on the ground. The sound of beating and liquid rushing caused his head to lift up, his instincts caused adrenaline to pump through his body in one last attempt to save his life. However as his darkened eyes scanned the surrounding area he saw nothing but trees and the flocks of crows and vultures stalking their next meal.

            “Is this what it is like to die?” he croaked, his throat burning.

            “Far from it.”

            At the sound of the sweet, unknown voice the male’s body froze completely. The world seemed like everything was now moving in slow motion as his instincts took over completely. Unknown strength surged through his veins as he was now able to lift himself up off of the ground. Before the other person could take a single step back the man whipped around to face the stranger and lunged for his throat. That was the last thing he saw before the world began to fade to black once again.

            His eyes slowly opened to the motion of being bounced. His vision was blurred but he could make out that he was slung over the shoulders of a well-muscled body. Focusing his gaze in front he also noticed that the stranger that he lunged towards was walking calmly in front. The male gave a small groan as he slowly came to and he felt the muscled body he was on tighten. The bouncing motion of the muscled-man stopped and the stranger leading the two stepped to the side.

           “It’s awake,” the first voice spoke, belonging to the one carrying him.

           “Well what are you going to do about it Jonghyun?” the second voice spoke.

           The two voices in comparison were easily distinct. The one carrying the male, Jonghyun, had a deeper voice that sounded rough but majestic. The voice that belonged to the stranger whom he had previously attacked was soft and gentle and every word that came out of his mouth sounded like an entrancing melody.

           “We could just dump him here. I see no point in continuing.”

           “We won’t just leave him to die,” The sweet voice now becoming strict.

           “He’s going to attack again.”

           “He won’t.”

            The sweet-voiced male then approached and tapped the forehead of the man being carried by Jonghyun. His eyes slowly began to close and the world began to fade away yet again.

            A few days had passed while the man was passed out under the care of Jonghyun and the stranger. When he finally came to he felt warm and full of energy unlike the past week he went under. He slowly peeled open his eyes to the sight of the stranger simply sitting in front of him. Glancing around his surroundings he saw that he was enclosed in a small, four-walled room. The walls were made of wood and what appeared to be junk was scattered throughout the room. He tried to move away from where he was propped up but found out that he couldn’t. He had chains attached to his wrists and ankles preventing him from moving. He again focused his gaze upon the stranger sitting in front of him.

            The male in front of him was thinly-built but looked to be tall. He had chocolate-brown eyes that continued to stare, and matching brown hair with an asymmetrical cut that was swept to one side and came to the length of his shoulder. The stranger then stood up revealing that he was tall and he walked closer with long, graceful strides. He reached out and put his hand to the chained man’s chin and lifted his head up, carefully inspecting with his chocolate orbs.

            “They call me Minhyuk,” he spoke with that gentle voice, “do you know what kind of situation you have gotten yourself into?”

            “W-Where am I?” the male stuttered.

            “I should be the one asking questions taking into consideration that you are the one that attacked me. That is not also including the fact that I am the one that has saved your life and currently nursing you back to health.”

            “Nursing me back to health huh?” the male scoffed while shaking the chains attached to him.

            “That is a precaution, mostly due to Jonghyun’s constant complaining.”

            “Jonghyun was—”

            “The one that carried you, yes. I’m sure you can tell by my looks; I’m not very physically strong.” Minhyuk said while continuing to study the male.

             The male simply continued to give Minhyuk weird looks as he continued to study his facial features. Minhyuk continued to prod at the chained male and finally he had enough of it. He jerked his arm out of Minhyuk’s reach and glared to him. Minhyuk gave a sigh and stood back up and walked to the other end of the room.

              “So Minhyuk,” he hissed, “Care to tell me where I am? Or why I am chained? Better yet, get me out of them.”

               “Well you are obviously in a shed.”

               “Obviously.” He growled.

               “You are chained because you attacked me in the woods and we wouldn’t want another attack do we?”

               “That was an accident!”

                Minhyuk’s eyes lit up at the other’s statement and a grin then formed on his face. The chained male’s eyes widened and he began to shiver at Minhyuk’s sudden change of behaviour. The fluctuation of Minhyuk’s behaviour was unsettling and he slowly began to creep as far away as he could from the other. Minhyuk tilted his head to the side and slowly began to walk back towards the male. This caused the male to back up out of instinct only to hit the wall behind him. The rattling of the chains began to worsen the atmosphere as Minhyuk casually approached with that smile plastered on his face.

                “Care to explain?” Minhyuk asked, folding his arms across his chest.

                 “I don’t know what happened ok? It was almost like, pure instinct took over and I wasn’t me anymore.” The male explained with an unsteady voice.

                 “Of course your instinct would take over. You were starved for too long.”

                 “You sound like you know exactly what happened.”

                  Minhyuk’s eyes lit up yet again, “Well isn’t that what happens to your kind when you’ve been starved for too long?”

                 “My kind... what the hell are you talking about?”

                  Minhyuk started to hum a tune and got back up and unlatched the door of the shed. With a loud creak the door swung open on its own and Minhyuk stepped outside of the shed leaving the door wide open revealing the night sky. The man gave a loud sigh and kicked the wooden flooring underneath him almost hoping that Minhyuk would come back. At least with Minhyuk around the man would not be sitting with nothing to do. He continuously peered out of the doorway trying to see as much as he could of the outside world. It appeared he was still in the forest but the plant life that was in this area was actually alive. He could see the greenery on the trees and the ground and life looked healthy. A small gust of wind blew in from the outside causing the old shed door to slam shut, leaving the man alone and chained in the dark.

                  Some time passed on since Minhyuk left the man in the shed. This had given time for the man to think about the events that had happened up to this point that would hopefully lead to why he couldn’t remember anything from before this week. Firstly he woke up one night and had the feeling that he had to run and so he did and, without a name or any memory from before that day and all he did was run. So he ran for an entire week without food or water and only stopping to pass out from exhaustion. Then he ran into Minhyuk whom he suddenly attacked and now he was chained up in Minhyuk’s shed. There was also a man included named Jonghyun but he was not seen or heard of since the time when he carried the man to this place. All of these thoughts ran through the man’s mind as he laid on the wooden floor trying to figure out what exactly was going on.

                   He immediately say up, “What if this Minhyuk guy is a serial killer and Jonghyun is his accomplice!” For a moment the man felt proud of himself for figuring out the mystery between the two men that have abducted him. His pride quickly shattered at the thought of them being serial killers but, that was the best explanation in his mind. If that were truly the case of the two men then what are they possibly thinking about by trying to nurse him back to health?

                   “If they are serial killers they must have some plan…” his voice trailed off.

                   “Oh yes, all serial killers have plans don’t they?” Minhyuk spoke as he stood within the doorway.

                    The male jumped causing the chains to rattle as Minhyuk stood in the doorway leaning against the door with something in his hand. Minhyuk slowly entered the shed and closed the doorway behind him. The moment he entered the atmosphere was different from Minhyuk’s previous visit. Things didn’t seem as happy as the last visit, this time the atmosphere was darker. Minhyuk then revealed what he had in his hand early and the man began to panic at the sight of the metal.

                    “I am not a serial killer. This—” he waved the small knife in front of the man, “—is not for you.”

                    “Then why would you have it in the first place?” the man spoke, still trying to back away from the other.

                     A forced smile pulled on Minhyuk’s lips, “Are you thirsty?”

                    “Thirsty? What are you talking about?”

                    “You really have no idea do you?”

                     Minhyuk walked up to the man in chains and reached out to grab his face and force the man to look into his eyes, “Who are you and how did you end up in this forest?”

                     “I don’t know! I don’t know how I got here! I don’t even know my own name or what I look like. I don’t have any memories of myself, I just opened my eyes one day and I was in that forest for seven days. Something told me that I had to run so that’s what I did. I ran. And somehow I happened to run into you and for some reason my body lunged towards you. The next thing I know you and some guy named Jonghyun kidnapped me and chained me up in this shed!”

                     Minhyuk rubbed his forehead as he listened to the male’s ramblings, “Lost memories huh?”

                     “Yeah…”

                     “Well then, what you are about to hear may be a shock.”

                     “What do you mean? Shock?”

                      Minhyuk took the knife out again and stared at it for a few moments then he slowly pressed it against his forearm. Without flinching he ran the knife against his skin and blood began to run down his arm. The man’s eyes widened at the sight of Minhyuk’s blood. There it was again. That rush of adrenaline and the need to satisfy his thirst was growing. He tried to reach for his throat but failed due to the restraint of the chains. His gaze was now focused to the ground as he tried his absolute best to change his focus off of the blood. A tight smile formed on Minhyuk’s face as he watched the man’s reaction.

                      “What the hell are you doing to me?” He hissed through his clenched teeth.

                       With an amused chuckle Minhyuk spoke slowly, “It’s what you are. You need this to survive. You’re a vampire.”

                      “Are you insane!?” the man screamed as he gazed upon Minhyuk once more.

                      “I’m telling you the truth,” Minhyuk sighed, “You just don’t get it do you?”

                       Minhyuk slowly began to approach the man while he struggled in his chains trying to break free. Now it was unavoidable. The male was completely focused on the blood coming from Minhyuk’s arm. Minhyuk slowly reached up and began to free the male from his chains. The minute the chains were completely off the male attacked and pinned Minhyuk to the ground. Another smile grew on Minhyuk’s face as he held his arm out for the male. The male grabbed his arm and sunk his teeth into it. The liquid pouring into his mouth was warm and sweet. He had no control over what his body was doing. It just tasted so good. It wasn’t until he heard that soft voice whimper in pain snapping him back to reality. He immediately let go and scrambled backwards knocking various object over in the rush. Minhyuk held his hand over his wound and began to chuckle.

                       “You must have been starved for a long time if you are still that thirsty…”

                       “W-What the hell…”

                       “I told you before didn’t I?” Minhyuk spoke with a wide grin. “You, are a vampire.”